The Correspondence Library

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Correspondence Library

Post by dhok »

PIE>Albanian? Does anybody have it?

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

dhokarena56 wrote:PIE>Albanian? Does anybody have it?
Dewrad posted it on page 7: http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?p=241269

El Chilango
Niš
Niš

Post by El Chilango »

Could somebody fix the PIE-Latin one, please?

Thx
Chir' û Wastile

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

El Chilango wrote:Could somebody fix the PIE-Latin one, please?

Thx
What's wrong with it?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Sorry to break in here about this, but I have a question RE: permissions of the TCL. Are we allowed to use these sound-change lists and the ones on KneeQuickie on for-profit projects? The wiki is licensed CC BY-NC-ND, but does that apply to the lists of sound-changes? If so, does that mean that if we use said lists as a resource, we're not allowed to use them on conlangs made for for-profit projects?
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Rorschach wrote:Sorry to break in here about this, but I have a question RE: permissions of the TCL. Are we allowed to use these sound-change lists and the ones on KneeQuickie on for-profit projects? The wiki is licensed CC BY-NC-ND, but does that apply to the lists of sound-changes? If so, does that mean that if we use said lists as a resource, we're not allowed to use them on conlangs made for for-profit projects?
I believe sound changes would be in the public domain... I don't even know how someone could copyright something like sound changes...
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

OK, so over the past couple of days I've ported over to the TCL on the Wiki all of the sound change lists I could find that had been posted to the thread but not on the Wiki (save two, namely those Yinwum changes, which I did not access, and pharazon's Vulgar Latin → French changes list, due to the formatting failure throwing me a bunch of <?> that I can't figure out—anybody able to throw me a bone with that?). I've also been able to contribute a little bit myself. So, without further ado…

The South African Chain Shift, from Mesthrie, Rajend (2002), Language in South Africa
æ ɛ ɪ → ɛ e ɨ
This last was described as /ĭ/, but was described as being "centralized" in the source, so I've described it here as /ɨ/.

The Kikuyu Tone Shift, from Schuh, Russel (2007), "The Great Ngamo Tone Shift (GNTS)"
U₁[+tone A]U₂[+tone B]U₃[+tone C]. . .Uⁿ[+tone n] → U₁[+low tone]U₂[+tone A]U₃[+tone B]. . .Uⁿ[+tone n-1]
(U = a syllable)

The Great Ngamo Tone Shift, from Schuh, Russel (2005), "The Great Ngamo Tone Shift"
In the Gudi dialect, the tone on a given domain (which can be more than one syllable/mora, as long as said syllables/morae are consecutive and share the same tone) shift to the following domain, with a low tone cropping up on the first domain. The original tone of the word-final domain floats or tacks itself onto the next domain, depending upon the surrounding conditions. When utterance-final, these tones remain on that domain. This can cause a falling tone, but not a rising tone, which Ngamo does not permit; where such would occur, tone goes to high.

EDIT: Looks like I actually did indeed miss a few…I've done what I can, though, and am trying to work on the Anatolian changes. I also need the Proto-Ugaritic → Proto-Finno-Samic (and the other language that was in that post too) because lots of the IPA was obliterated during the forum move.

EDIT THE SECOND: I moved over the Common Anatolian shifts. Also, here are a couple more vowel shifts, these from American English and courtesy of my General Linguistics textbook, Language: Its Structure and Use, 5th Ed. (Finegan, Edward (2008), pp. 343-4):

Northern Cities Shift
* æ → iə̯
* ɑ → æ
* ɔ → ɑ
* ɛ ʌ → ʌ ɔ

Southern Shift
* j → Ø / ɑ_
* ej → ɑj
* i → iə̪
* ɪ ɛ æ → i ɪ ɛ
* uw ow → {iw,y} {ɛo̯,œ} (NB: Due to the transcription in the book I'm not sure which of these outcomes are meant.)
* ɔ → u
* ɑ → ɔ

EDIT THE THIRD: Looks like I missed a couple of previous contributions to the thread…
Last edited by Pogostick Man on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

All right, folks, here's a new batch of sound changes coming down the pipe to y'all. Please bear in mind two things though:
A) I had to convert some weird markings into IPA, though I did have help on that end.
B) The names are a bit anachronistic, I realize; the language name proper is modern but the dialect moniker is not necessarily so; I took the latter as it was presented within the article.

Proto-Eskimo-Aleut to Proto-Aleut (From Marsh, Gordon and Swadesh, Morris (1951), "Kleinschmidt Centennial V: Eskimo Aleut Correspondences". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 17, No. 4 (Oct., 1951), pp. 209-216)

* a → i / i_
* u → a / a_
* p → h / #_
* v → m / medial
* v → w / a_a, in eastern dialects
* {t,ð} → n / _#
* ð → t / else
* s → ts / #_
* z → s / #_
* z → ð / medial
* l̥ → l
* m → w / #_
* n → t / #_, except possibly "in exclamations"
* dʒ → ð / i_, in eastern and central dialects
* dʒ → ð / u_a, in eastern dialects
* i → Ø / #_{z,dʒ}
* ə → Ø / #_, "under certain conditions not yet discovered"
* Deletion of medial vowels as according to stress, "mostly affecting vowels before the accented syllable"
* nV₁nV₂ → nV₂nV₂

Proto-Eskimo-Aleut to Proto-Eskimo (From Marsh, Gordon and Swadesh, Morris (1951), "Kleinschmidt Centennial V: Eskimo Aleut Correspondences". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 17, No. 4 (Oct., 1951), pp. 209-216)

* ð → t
* z → s
* ɣ → k / #_
* ʁ → q / #_
* ə → Ø / t_, "in certain positions"

Proto-Eskimo to Barrow Iñupiaq (From Swadesh, Morris (1952), "Unaaliq and Proto Eskimo IV: Diachronic Notes". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul., 1952), pp. 166-171)

* l̥ → l / medial
* t → s / i_
* ə → i / at word boundaries
* ə → u / u_
* ə → a / a_
* ə → Ø / else
* ɣ ʁ → k q / _#
* C₀VC₀ → C₀ː
* Regressive assimilation in MOA and progressive assimilation in voicing in consonant clusters, at least when C₂ = {l̥,l}
* m n ŋ → v t ɣ / _C[-nasal]
* l̥ → t / _C
* v → p / _s
* v ʁ → p q / S_
* v ɣ ʁ → p k q / _C except _{l,dʒ,m,n,ŋ}
* {p,v} t {k,ɣ} → m n ŋ / _N
* v → Ø / u_i
* dʒ → ʁ / i_u
* ədʒ → i / _{a,u} except in #U
* adʒ → i / _a (except in #U?)

Proto-Eskimo to Greenlandic Iñupiaq (From Swadesh, Morris (1952), "Unaaliq and Proto Eskimo IV: Diachronic Notes". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul., 1952), pp. 166-171)

* Cː → C / except when CV_V in U₁U₂
* t → s / i_
* ə → i / at word boundaries
* ə → Ø / else
* dʒ → tʃ → s / "in certain positions" (except for Thule, where dʒ → tʃ and stayed there, apparently)
* m n ŋ t {{ɣ,ʁ} → {k,q}} → p t k n ŋ / _#
* l̥ → ʁ / _C
* v ʁ → p q / S_
* S₁S₂ → F₁F₂
* Some metathesis in consonant clusters, with no general conditions given; the example presented therein is lʁ → ʁl
* v → Ø / u_a
* iv → uj / _u
* dʒ → tʃ / i_{u,i}

Proto-Eskimo to Mackenzie Iñupiaq (From Swadesh, Morris (1952), "Unaaliq and Proto Eskimo IV: Diachronic Notes". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul., 1952), pp. 166-171)

* ə → u / u_
* ə → a / a_
* ə → i / else
* ɣ ʁ → k q / _#
* C₀VC₀ → C₀ː
* Regressive assimilation in MOA and progressive assimilation in voicing in consonant clusters, at least when C₂ = {l̥,l}
* l̥ → t / _C
* v → p / _s
* v ʁ → p q / S_
* v → Ø / u_i

Proto-Eskimo to Wales Iñupiaq (From Swadesh, Morris (1952), "Unaaliq and Proto Eskimo IV: Diachronic Notes". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul., 1952), pp. 166-171)

* ə → u / u_
* ə → a / a_
* ə → i / else
* v → u
* ɣ → u / "in some positions"
* p k q s → v ɣ ʁ z / V_V
* ɣ ʁ → k q / _#
* Regressive assimilation in MOA progressive assimilation in voicing in consonant clusters, at least when C₂ = {l̥,l}
* l̥ → t / _C
* v → p / _s
* v ʁ → p q / S_
* v → u / V_V
* v → Ø / u_V
* v → Ø / V_u
* dʒ → ʁ / i_u
* ɣ → Ø / V_u
* ɣ → Ø / u_V
* ɣ → u / {i,ə}_V

Proto-Eskimo to Kuskokwim Yup'ik (From Swadesh, Morris (1952), "Unaaliq and Proto Eskimo IV: Diachronic Notes". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul., 1952), pp. 166-171)

* Cː → C
* C → Cː / _V(…V), after #U
* S → Ø / #_F
* s → ts / in certain situations?
* C[+voice] → C[-voice] / next to {S,s,l̥}
* ɣ ʁ → k q / _#
* ə → a / _#
* ə → Ø / #_
* i → Ø / #C[+dental]_C[+dental]V
* F[+voice] → F[-voice] / adjacent to {S,ts}
* F[+voice] → S / l̥_
* t → s / _{k,q}
* i a u → ii aa uu / C_ in U[+open -initial -final] such that U[+open]_
* ə → i / u_
* v → Ø / u[+short]_V[+short]
* v → Ø / V[+short]_u[+short]
* u → Ø / #_vV
* iv → j / #_u
* s → dʒ / {i,u}_V
* dʒ → Ø / i_i
* ə → Ø / _dʒ{a,u} except in #U
* a → Ø / _dʒa (except in #U?)
* in → dʒ / _u (possibly only word-initially?)

Proto-Eskimo to Nunivak Yup'ik (From Swadesh, Morris (1952), "Unaaliq and Proto Eskimo IV: Diachronic Notes". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul., 1952), pp. 166-171)

* Cː → C
* S → Ø / #_F
* ɣ ʁ → x χ / _#
* ə → a / _#
* ə → Ø / #_
* a → Ø / C[+velar]_C[+velar]
* Regressive assimilation in MOA and voicing in consonant clusters, at least when C₂ = {l̥,l}
* v ʁ → f χ / S_
* F[+voice] → S / l̥_
* t → s / _{k,q}
* ə → i / {u,a}_ (though aə seems to have become i in some circumstances)
* u → Ø / #_vV
* iv → j / #_u
* s → dʒ / {i,u}_V
* dʒ → Ø / i_i

Proto-Eskimo to Siberian Yup'ik (From Swadesh, Morris (1952), "Unaaliq and Proto Eskimo IV: Diachronic Notes". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul., 1952), pp. 166-171)

* Cː → C
* S → Ø / #_F
* s → ts → tʃ / in some dialects?
* ɣ ʁ → k q / _#
* ə → a / _#
* ə → Ø / #_
* F[+voice] → S / l̥_
* Ø → n / #_iN (NB: This one is sort of a guess, given a singular example in the text that isn't really commented upon)
* t → s / _{k,q}
* u → a / a_
* ə → i / {u,a}_
* u → Ø / #_vV
* iv → j / #_u
* s → dʒ / {i,u}_V
* dʒ → Ø / i_i

Proto-Eskimo to Unaaliq Yup'ik (From Swadesh, Morris (1952), "Unaaliq and Proto Eskimo IV: Diachronic Notes". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul., 1952), pp. 166-171)

* Cː → C
* S → Ø / #_F
* ɣ ʁ → k q / _#
* ə → a / _#
* ə → Ø / #_
* vs → fts
* F[+voice] → S / l̥_
* t → s / _{k,q}
* ə → i / {u,a}_ (though aə seems to have become i in some circumstances)
* u → Ø / #_vV
* iv → j / #_u
* dʒ → Ø / i_i
* s → dʒ / {i,u}_V
Last edited by Pogostick Man on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

Rorschach wrote: * C → Cː / _V(…V), after #U
Can you specify what the symbol U represents?
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Rorschach wrote:(U = a syllable)

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:I believe sound changes would be in the public domain... I don't even know how someone could copyright something like sound changes...
Sound changes themselves shouldn't be subject to copyright just like languages and mere ideas aren't, but lists of them (tangible and authored!) might be arguably so depending on your legislation and the amount of work it took to compose them. I suppose that in Germany lists like they're exchanged here would be 'works of the small coin', i.e. not worth to be pursued legally, unless you're also copying annotations. IANAL, though.

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

The collapse of the stop system from proto-Arawá to Jarawara supposedly went as follows:

Proto stops and affricates

Voiced: b d g dz
Voiced implosive: ɓ ɗ
Voiceless: p t k ts
Voiceless aspirated: pʰ tʰ kʰ tsʰ

Changes to Proto-Madi

ɓ → b initially
ɓ → f medially
p → f
pʰ→ f

ɗ → d
tʰ→ t

g → w
kʰ → k

dz → ɟ
ts → s
tsʰ → s

Finally, between proto-Madi and Jarawara, d and t have merged as t. This has meant a merger of 14 original stop / affricate phonemes into 6 stops/fricatives, with g merging with w. As a result of the changes, Jarawara has quite a large number of homonyms compared to its ancestor.

EDIT:

It has also left the language with the slightly odd stop system b t ɟ k, in which half the members are voiced and half are voiceless, and there is only one member for each POA.
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

I think we have a good case for fair use.

* We're not just copying and pasting the texts we are citing; we're summarizing the main findings (i.e., the sound changes, and often rewriting considerably due to different transcription methods in the sources, manners of presentation in the sources, extraneous information in the sources, &c.).
* We state the sound changes in a very basic, standardized format—to wit, X → Y( / Z).
* The purpose of the Library is educational (if informal in its approach at doing so).
* The Library is a not-for-profit endeavor (not enough to confer fair use in and of itself, but which nevertheless is a plus factor).

I find it not much unlike when a Wikipedian includes a table of reconstructed PIE stuff (e.g., noun or verb paradigms) in a relevant article.

Semi-unrelated: I've also found a few ordering errors and ambiguities in the above EA changes, which I will edit once I am done with this post.

Now, that all being said, here are some more sound changes for all y'all. I've created the subpage TCL/Siouan-Iroquoian pursuant to some of the following changes, and subsequently ported over the entries from TCL/Iroquoian; can/should that latter page be deleted, and if so, would anybody mind taking care of that?

Old Indo-Aryan to Central Middle Indo-Aryan, from Shukla, Shaligram (1974), "Phonological change and dialect variation in Middle-Indo-Aryan", in Anderson, J., and Jones, C. (Eds.), Historical Linguistics II, pp. 391-40

* C(C) → Ø / C_#
* VN VC[-nasal] → V[+nasalized] Vː / _#
* a{i,j}(a) a{u,w}(a) → e o
* j w → dʒ b / V_V
* C → C[+voiced] / V_V
* {β,ð,ɣ} → h / V_V
* {j,v} → Ø / V_V
* b {d(ʒ),g} → v j / V_V
* Vm → Vṽ → V[+nasalized]v / _V
* e o → i u / _#
* Vː → V / _#
* aħ → o
* ɻ → i
* ʂ → x / k_
* {ʂ,ç} → s
* v → Ø / {t,d}_
* C₁C₂ → C₂C₂ / V_V
* Cn → CC / V_V, except where C = dʒ
* dʒɲ → ɳː / V_V

Old Indo-Aryan to Eastern Middle Indo-Aryan, from Shukla, Shaligram (1974), "Phonological change and dialect variation in Middle-Indo-Aryan", in Anderson, J., and Jones, C. (Eds.), Historical Linguistics II, pp. 391-40

* C(C) → Ø / C_#
* j w → dʒ b / V_V
* C → C[+voiced] / V_V
* {β,ð,ɣ} → h / V_V
* {j,v} → Ø / V_V
* b {d(ʒ),g} → v j / V_V
* e o → i u / _#
* Vː → V / _#
* aħ → e
* ɻ → i
* kʂ → hk
* ʂ s → s ç
* r → l
* v → Ø / {t,d}_
* C₁C₂ → C₂C₂ / V_V
* dʒɲ → ɲː / V_V

Old Indo-Aryan to Northwestern Middle Indo-Aryan, from Shukla, Shaligram (1974), "Phonological change and dialect variation in Middle-Indo-Aryan", in Anderson, J., and Jones, C. (Eds.), Historical Linguistics II, pp. 391-40

* C(C) → Ø / C_#
* j w → dʒ b / V_V
* C → C[+voiced] / V_V
* {β,ð,ɣ} → h / V_V
* {j,v} → Ø / V_V
* b {d(ʒ),g} → v j / V_V
* e o → i u / _#
* Vː → V / _#
* aħ → o
* ɻ → i
* kʂ → tstʃ
* {ʂ,ç} → s
* sC → Ch
* v → Ø / {t,d}_
* C₁C₂ → C₂C₂ / V_V
* dʒɲ → ɳː / V_V

Old Indo-Aryan to Western Middle Indo-Aryan, from Shukla, Shaligram (1974), "Phonological change and dialect variation in Middle-Indo-Aryan", in Anderson, J., and Jones, C. (Eds.), Historical Linguistics II, pp. 391-40

* C(C) → Ø / C_#
* j w → dʒ b / V_V
* C → C[+voiced] / V_V
* {β,ð,ɣ} → h / V_V
* {j,v} → Ø / V_V
* b {d(ʒ),g} → v j / V_V
* e o → i u / _#
* Vː → V / _#
* aħ → o
* ɻ → a
* kʂ → tstʃ
* {ʂ,ç} → s
* tv dv → p b
* C₁C₂ → C₂C₂ / V_V
* dʒɲ → ɳː / V_V

Proto-Siouan-Iroquoian to Proto-Iroquoian, from Chafe, Wallace L. (1964), "Another Look at Siouan and Iroquoian". American Anthropologist New Series, Vol. 66, No. 4, Pt. 1 (August 1964), pp. 852-862); and from cedh aumdmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

* w → Ø / _{o,õ,ĩ}
* m → w / _ã
* t → ts / _{i,ĩ}
* tʰ → ts / _i
* tʰ → n / else
* ã → ẽ
* e → i / ɹ_ʔ
* r → ts / _i
* ĩ → i
* k → Ø / t_
* kʰ → ɹ
* m → n
* p → Ø / C_, except when s_
* p → kʷ / else
* pʰ → ʍ (this is a bit of a guess; the paper proper has <hw> here)
* ʃ → s
* θ → t
* The paper is unclear about what happened to /u/.
* x → Ø / _k
* x → h / _C, except when C_C or _k
* x → k / else
* ʔ → Ø / C_

Proto-Siouan-Iroquoian to Proto-Siouan, from Chafe, Wallace L. (1964), "Another Look at Siouan and Iroquoian". American Anthropologist New Series, Vol. 66, No. 4, Pt. 1 (August 1964), pp. 852-862); Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, No. 2 (Apr. 1950), pp. 61-66; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

* ẽ → ĩ
* {h,t} → Ø / s_
* h → Ø / V_C
* õ → ũ
* s → Ø / h_
* θ → ɹ
* ʔ → Ø / V_
* x → ç / _{i,u}
* Also, apparently /c/ got picked up and added to the phonology somewhere along the line, but the circumstances of this are unclear.

Proto-Siouan to Catawba, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes above, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme)

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text. Changes appended with an asterisk are putative; there was a seeming lack of material for this language, so I've attempted to do some tracking work from the examples given in the text.

* ç x → x ʃ
* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* p → b / V_V (*)
* c → ʃ / in U[+stress]
* c → ʒ / in U[-stress]
* t → Ø / _k, when medial
* V[+stressed +nasalized] → Vn (*)
* Ø → ʔ / C_# (only sometimes) (*)

Proto-Siouan to Dakota, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text.

* ç x → x {ʃ,ʒ}
* p → {p,b,m,w}
* c → ʃ / in U[+stress]
* c → ʒ / in U[-stress]
* s → z / in U[-stress]
* s → z / V_V
* Lʲ → tʃ
* pr →
** md (Santee)
** bl (Teton)
* sr → sd
* cr → {s,ʃ}t
* kr →
** gl (Teton)
** kd (Yankton)
** hd / #_ (Santee)
** gj / medially (Santee)
* ɹ → d / x_
* mn → mV₀nV₀ / #_
* km → kV₀wV₀
* w → p / _t
* mt →
** md (Santee)
** bl (Teton)
* s → ʃ / V[+stressed]_k
* hk → tʃ
* k → Ø / _xV[+stressed]
* x → ʔ / V[+stressed]k_

Proto-Siouan to Mandan, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. L was apparently either /ɹ/ or /l/; Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/.

* s → ʃ
* t → Ø / _s
* ç → x
* w → m
* Lʲ → n / _V[+nasalized]
* L → ɹ / _V[-nasalized]
* ã → a / in U[+stressed] (sporadic)
* Phonemic vowel length was gained somehow.
* c → s / _qV
* CqV₀ → CV₀ʔV₀
* cɹ → sV₁ɹV₂
* ɹ → Ø / k_
* mn → mV₀nV₀ / #_
* mn → mV₀nV₀ / {C,V}_{C,V}
* sn → {ʃV₀nV₀,sV₀rV₀}
* km → kV₀pV₀
* sk → ʃ / V[+stressed]

Proto-Siouan to Proto-Čiwere-Winnebago, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text.

* ç x → x {ʃ,ʒ}
* p → {p,b,m,w}
* w → Ø / _t
* t → tʃ / _{e,i} in U[+stress]
* t → dʒ / _{e,i} in U[-stress]
* c → ʃ / in U[+stress]
* c → ʒ / in U[-stress]
* k → g / V[+nasal]_ except word-finally
* s → z / in U[-stress]
* s → z / V_V
* k → g / _q
* Cq → Cʔ
* kɹ → kV₀ɹV₀
* m → Ø / _n except word-finally

Proto-Čiwere-Winnebago to Čiwere , from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. L was apparently either /ɹ/ or /l/; Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text.

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* p → w / V_V
* g → ŋ
* k → g / V[+stress]_
* s z → θ ð (sporadic)
* L → l
* Lʲ → n / _V[+nasalized]
* Lʲ → ɹ / _V[-nasalized]
* t → tʃ / _ʔ
* pɹ → bl
* sɹ → {θ,ʃ}l
* cɹ → ʃV₀ɹV₀
* kɹ → gl
* ɹ → l / x_
* k → h / _m
* k → Ø / #t_
* tk → g / when medial
* x → Ø / _k
* x → Ø / k_V[+stressed]

Proto-Čiwere-Winnebago to Winnebago, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". ''International Journal of American Linguistics'', Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. L was apparently either /ɹ/ or /l/; Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text.

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* V → Ø / _#
* p → b / V_V
* t → {tʃ,dʒ}
* "Winnebago preserved the intermediate stages of *k reflexes"
* L → ɹ
* {Lʲ,ɹ} → n / _V[+nasalized]
* c → x / _ʔ
* pɹ → pV₀ɹV₀
* {s,x}ɹ sn km → ʃV₀ɹV₀ sV₀nV₀ gV₀wV₀
* mt → ɹ
* tk → tʃ{k,g} / #_
* xk to g

Proto-Siouan to Proto-Crow-Hidatsa, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. L was apparently either /ɹ/ or /l/; Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/.

* ç {c,x} → x ʃ
* s → ts
* m → w
* L(ʲ) → ɹ
* ã ĩ ũ → a i u
* Phonemic vowel length was gained somehow.
* wt → wV₀tV₀

Proto-Crow-Hidatsa to Crow, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels.

* t → ʃ / _{e,i,q}
* t → s / _V
* k → ts / _i
* n → ɹ / except when #_, _#
* q → Ø / _C
* sk → tsk / _V[+stressed]
* x → Ø / k_V[+stressed]
* A phonemic /m/ was somehow acquired.

Proto-Crow-Hidatsa to Hidatsa, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and ''Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels.

* n → ɹ
* q → Ø / C_
* kɹ → kV₀rV₀ / #_
* ɹ → Ø / {C,V}k_{C,V}
* mn → w / {C,V}_{C,V}
* sn → tsV₀ɹV₀
* km → hp
* sk → tsuk / _u[+stressed]
* sk → tsk / _V[+stressed]
* sk → hts / V[+stressed]
* Ø → V / x_k
* kx → hk / _V[+stressed]

Proto-Siouan to Proto-Ohio-Valley, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text.

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* c → tʃ
* Lʲ → j
* m → Ø / {C,V}_n{C,V}
* {w,m} → Ø / _t

Proto-Ohio-Valley to Biloxi, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. L was apparently either /ɹ/ or /l/. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text.

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* p → w / V_V, apparently as a result of some dissimilation, as this appears to be an allophone of /p/ here, if my understanding is correct of these texts
* w → Ø / #_ sporadic
* m → w / #_
* L → d
* ã → an (sporadic)
* q → Ø / C_
* cɹ → tʃd
* ɹ → {d,n}
* m → Ø / #_n
* k → Ø / #t_
* k → Ø / V[+stressed]s_
* k → Ø / _xV[+stressed]
* kx → xk / V[+stressed]_

Proto-Ohio-Valley to Ofo, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. L was apparently either /ɹ/ or /l/. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text.

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* s → f
* {ç,x} → s
* w → Ø / #_ (sporadic)
* m → w / #_
* L → t
* j → tʃ
* ã → {an,õ}
* q → Ø / C_
* sr → ft
* kr → kVlV
* m → Ø / #_n
* Ø → V / k_m
* k → Ø / #t_
* sk → f / V[+stressed]_
* x → s / _k
* kx → s
* kx → sk / V[+stressed]_

Proto-Ohio-Valley to Tutelo, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". ''International Journal of American Linguistics'', Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* L → l
* k → ᵑk / _q
* q → Ø / C_
* mn → mV₀nV₀ / #_ (morphemes)
* sn → sV₀nV₀
* Ø → V / k_m
* s → ʃ / V[+stressed]_k

Proto-Siouan to Proto-Thegiha, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* w → Ø / _t
* t → d / in U[-stress]
* c → ʃ / in U[+stress]
* c → ʒ / in U[-stress]
* k → g / V[+stress]_
* s → z / in U[-stress]
* s → z / V_V
* L → {ð,j} / _V[+stressed]
* L → d / V[+stressed]_
* Lʲ → ʒ / _V[+stressed]
* w → β / (sporadic, allophonic)
* u → i / in U[+stressed] (sporadic)
* k → Ø / #t_ (morphemes)
* tk → g / when medial

Proto-Thegiha to Kansa, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". ''International Journal of American Linguistics'', Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. L was apparently either /ɹ/ or /l/; Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/. The changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text. Also, changes appended with an asterisk are putative; the author cited a lack of material for this language, so I've attempted to do some back-tracing work from the examples given in the text.

* V[+nasalized] → V[-nasalized]n
* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* w → b / #_
* ɹ → d / #_ (*)
* L → bl / #_e (*)
* L → j / #_ (*)
* L → j / #_, else (*)
* Lʲ → j / #_ (*)
* V → V[+nasalized] / N_
* N → S / V_V
* ũ → aN / in U[+stressed]
* q → ʔ / C_
* t → ts / _ʔ
* cɹ → ʃt
* kɹ → l
* mn → bl / {C,V}_{C,V}
* mt → d

Proto-Thegiha to Omaha-Ponca, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

* p → b / V_V
* n → θ / _{ã,ẽ,õ}
* w → m / #_
* L → θ / _V[+stressed]
* d → n / V[+stressed]_
* Lʲ → {θ,n} / _V[+nasalized -stressed]
* ũ → ã / in U[+stressed]
* k → Ø / _q
* q → ʔ / C_
* pɹ → bθ
* sɹ → sn
* cɹ → ʃn
* kɹ → gθ
* mn → mV₀nV₀ / #_
* mn → bθ / {C,V}_{C,V}
* mt → n

Proto-Thegiha to Osage, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. Also, the changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text. Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/.

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* t → ts / _{e,i}
* s → θ
* {ç,x} → z (sporadic)
* n → ð / {ã,ẽ,õ}
* w → b / #_
* Lʲ → ð / _V[+nasalized -stressed]
* {ã,ũ} → õ / in U[+stressed]
* q → Ø / p_
* q → ʔ / C_
* t → ts / _ʔ
* pɹ → bð
* sɹ → sts
* cɹ → ʃd
* kɹ → gð
* ɹ → ð / x_
* m → Ø / #_n
* mn → bð / {C,V}_{C,V}
* sn → hn
* mt → d
* s → ʃ / V[+stressed]_k
* xk → (ʃ)k / _V[+stressed]
* xk → g / V[+stressed]_
* x → ʔ / k_V[+stressed]

Proto-Thegiha to Quapaw, from Wolff, Hans (1950), "Comparative Siouan I", "Comparative Siouan II", and "Comparative Siouan III". ''International Journal of American Linguistics'', Vol. 16, Nos. 2, 3, and 4 (Apr., July, and Oct. 1950, respectively), pp. 61-66, 113-121, and 168-178, respectively; and cedh audmanh's changes, which assisted me in deciphering the vintage phonetic transcription scheme

NB: Does not include developments in unstressed non-nasal vowels. L was apparently either /ɹ/ or /l/; Lʲ (Lʸ in the text) was apparently /j/, or maybe /ʎ/. The changes of /p/ before a consonant are unclear, as described within the text. Also, changes appended with an asterisk are putative; the author cited a lack of material for this language, so I've attempted to do some tracking work from the examples given in the text.

* p → {p,b,m,w} / _C
* c → ʃ
* L → d / #_
* x → ʒ (%)
* Lʲ → j / #_õ (*)
* Lʲ → t / #_ã (*)
* ã → õ (*)
* ũ → ã / in U[+stressed]# (*)
* m → Ø / #_n (morphemes) (*)

Proto-Kx'a to ǂHoan, from Heine, Bernd and Honken, Henry (2010): "The Kx'a Family: A New Khoisan Genealogy"

NB: Except where noted, clicks change regardless of nasalization, glottalization, aspiration, velar ejectivity with click onsets, voicing, &c. K = a click.

* Something about word-initial glottal stops
* Ø → a / o_m
* a → Ø / _e (sporadic)
* o → Ø / u_
* u → Ø / o_
* iaɔ → iu (→ u / C[+bilabial]?)
* o → Ø / a(C)_
* Vn → V[+nasalized] / _#
* ŋ → Ø
* t d → {c,tʃ} ɟ
* s → ʃ
* ‼ → ǁ
* ⁿKʰ → Kʰ
* K͡ɢ → K

Proto-Kx'a to Northwestern !Xun, from Heine, Bernd and Honken, Henry (2010): "The Kx'a Family: A New Khoisan Genealogy"

NB: Except where noted, clicks change regardless of nasalization, glottalization, aspiration, velar ejectivity with click onsets, voicing, &c. K = a click.

* a → Ø / #_m
* ui → o (?)
* i → Ø / V_
* a → Ø / _e (sporadic)
* u → Ø / _o
* o → Ø / _u
* iaɔ → ao
* o → a / _Ca
* a → Ø / _(C)o
* Some weird stuff with vowel pharyngealization/glottalization; some of the pharyngealized proto-vowels stayed that way, others apparently glottalized
* ʕm → ʔm
* n → Ø / _#
* ts(ʼ) → tʃ(ʼ)
* s → ʃ
* ‼ → ǁ
* ǂ → ‼ (dialectal)
* ʘ → ǀ
* ⁿKʰ → ⁿK(ʰ)
* |ʰ͡q → ⁿ|ʰ
* {K͡q,K͡ɢ} → K̬

Proto-Kx'a to Southeastern !Xun, from Heine, Bernd and Honken, Henry (2010): "The Kx'a Family: A New Khoisan Genealogy"

* a → Ø / #_m
* ui → o (?)
* i → Ø / V_
* ɛ ɔ → i u
* u → Ø / _o
* o → Ø / _u
* iaɔ → au
* o → a / _Ca
* a → Ø / _(C)o
* Some weird stuff with vowel pharyngealization/glottalization; some of the pharyngealized proto-vowels stayed that way, others apparently glottalized
* ʕm → {b,ɓ}
* n → Ø / _#
* ‼ ʘ → ! ǀ
* ʔ → Ø / _nK
* ⁿKʰ → ⁿK(ʰ)
* {|ʰ͡q,|ʰ͡ɢ} → ⁿ|ʰ
* K͡q → K̬
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

*orgasm*

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Thanks a lot, Rorschach!
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Rorschach wrote: Old Indo-Aryan to Central Middle Indo-Aryan

Old Indo-Aryan to Eastern Middle Indo-Aryan

Old Indo-Aryan to Northwestern Middle Indo-Aryan

Old Indo-Aryan to Western Middle Indo-Aryan
I love you.
Image Image

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

D'aww, thanks, guys!

Since I really didn't feel like studying for my impending midterm exams today, I got off my tail and got together a few more sets of sound changes, the sources of which are a combination of sources I had on hand, Google (and Google Scholar, which is really quite intriguing) results, and—can you believe it—Reversi the august Dr. Wik E. Pedia.

I apologize for the probable utter uselessness of the Altaic vowel correspondences; the Wikipedia had presented the vowel outcomes in the lists of correspondences in the article, and I wished to make the entries as complete as possible.

Proto-Algonquian to Miami-Illinois, from Costa, David J. (1991), "The Historical Phonology of Miami-Illinois Consonants". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 57, No. 3 (Jul, 1991), 365-393.

''Mostly consonants only, as the paper was geared towards an analysis of the consonants and not the vowels; I gleaned all the vowel diachronics from side comments made within the paper proper and its footnotes. Also, the author refers to /θ/ and /l/ as "laterals"; not sure if <θ> is supposed to represent /ɬ/ here.''

* tʃ → t / noun suffixes
* t → tʃ / in diminutives
* s → ʃ / _i in some circumstances
* s → ʃ / _iV
* {θ,l} → ɹ → l / V_V
* {θ,l} → ɹ → n / #_, possibly elsewhere too
* {θ,ʃ} → ɹ → l
* mV[+short] → Ø / #_C[+preaspirated/+sibilant] (allophonic, "optional")
* {ʔ,h}{ɬ,l} → hs
* {θ,l} → t / n_
* {θ,tʃ,ç,ʃ,x,ʔ} → h / _C
* C[-nasal] → h / _k
* h → ʔ / _C[+sibilant]
* hC[+sibilant] → C[+sibilant]ː / sporadic, usually {#,V[+front]}_
* C[-voice] → C[+voice] / N_
* VNC[+sibilant] → V[+nasalized]C[+sibilant +voiced] / not universal?
* S → ⁿS / #NV_ / sporadic
* C[+sibilant] → ⁿC[+sibilant] / U[-nasal]_, highly sporadic
* {h,ʔ} → Ø / _m

Proto-Algonquian to Munsee Delaware, from Goddard, Ives (1982), "The Historical Phonology of Munsee". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 48, No. 1 (Jan., 1982), 16-48. (Thanks to Whimemsz for the updates.)

* tʃ → t / in nouns (analogical, from mutated *t → *tʃ)
* t s → tʃ ʃ / in diminutives
* {θ,l} → ɹ → l
* ʃ → l / where *ʃ is a product of *θ-mutation
* w → Ø / C_, except when {k,p,m}_
* w → Ø / {p,m}_#
* w → Ø / m_C
* Cw → C / _ə{p(C),kw(C),m,w}
* we → wə → oː / except when around {p,m,k}
* j → Ø / C_
* hl → x
* ʔ → h / _C
* h → Ø / _{s,x}
* n{θ,l} → hl
* k → Ø / h_, except in some cases where it was restored by analogy with, for instance, verbal forms
* x θ ʃ → h x s / _{p,k}
* {tʃ,ç} → h / _k
* i o → iː oː
* Vː → V[-long] / _hC
* V → Ø / _#, except in some monosyllables and in some analogical developments (in the latter case of which the restored long vowels also were shortened)
* {a,ə} → Ø / _{h,x} "in the odd-numbered of any sequence of one or more short-vowel open syllables"; such vowels are considered "weak"
* ə[+weak] → #_C
* ə[+weak] → _C[+voiced] (sporadic)
* {a,ə}[+weak] → {ə,Ø} / h_C[+continuant +voiced]
* NC → N[+same POA]C[+voiced]
* The following are some synchronic alterations.
** ə → o / _h{p,kʷ,w,m}
** ə → i / _hC
** ə → o / _x{kʷ,p,V[+round]}
** ə → o / {m,p}_x
** x → χʷ / o(ː)_{V,#}
** ə → a / _x "In a nonrounding environment"
** ə → o / _nkʷ
** V[+high] → ə / _W (sporadically _w, universally _j)

Proto-Altaic to Proto-Japonic, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_lan ... spondences citing Starostin, Sergei A., Dybo, Anna V., and Mudrak, Oleg A. (2003), Etymological Dictionary of the Altaic Languages. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers.

NB: Does not include clusters.

* V → a / _Ca
* u → a / C[+bilabial]_Ce
* {a,e,o,æ} i u ø y → ə i ua {ə,u} {u,ə} / _Ce
* {a,e,i,æ,ø,y} o → i u / _Ci
* e i {o,u} æ ø y → {ə,a} {i,ə} ə a {ə,u} {u,ə} / _Co
* V → u / _Cu
* pʰ tʰ kʰ → p t k
* b → p / #_
* b → p / _{j,i}V
* b → w / else, except when _{a,ə,Vj}
* tʃʰ → t
* tʃ dʒ → t d / #_
* tʃ → s / else (except maybe _#?)
* dʒ → j / else
* g → Ø / iV_
* g → k / else
* {ʃ,z} → s
* n → m / #_
* n → {m,n} / else
* ŋ → m / #_{æ,ø,y}
* ŋ → {Ø,n} / #_, else
* ŋ → {m,n} / else
* r → t / _{i,u}
* rʲ → {r,t}
* l(ʲ) → n / #_
* l lʲ → r s / else
* j → {j,Ø}
* U[+long] → U[+short]

Proto-Altaic to Proto-Korean, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_lan ... spondences citing Starostin, Sergei A., Dybo, Anna V., and Mudrak, Oleg A. (2003), Etymological Dictionary of the Altaic Languages. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers.

* pʰ tʰ kʰ → p t {k,h}
* b → p / #_
* {d,tʰ} → r / {C,V}_{C,V}
* d → t / else
* {tʃʰ,dʒ} → tʃ
* {k,g} → {h,Ø} / {C,V}_{C,V}
* g → k / #_
* {ʃ,z} → s
* {nʲ,ŋ} → n / #_
* ŋ → {ŋ,Ø}
* rʲ → r
* l(ʲ) → n / #_
* l(ʲ) → r / else
* j → {j,Ø}
* U[+long] → U[+short]
* Syllable pitches reverse, basically, for whatever reason

Proto-Altaic to Middle Korean Vowel Developments, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_lan ... spondences citing Starostin, Sergei A., Dybo, Anna V., and Mudrak, Oleg A. (2003), Etymological Dictionary of the Altaic Languages. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers.

* æ → a / C[+bilabial]_Ca
* æ → a / _C[+bilabial]a
* {a,e,i,o,u,y} æ ø → {a,e} ə {o,u,ə} _Ca
* {a,u} e i o æ ø y → {a,e} {a,e,i,ɨ} {i,ɨ} {ɨ,o,u} {i,(j)e} {o,u,(j)e} {(j){a,e},o,u} _Ce
* a e o u æ ø y → {a,e,i} {i,ɨ,a,e} {o,u} {o,u,ɨ} {ə,(j)e} {o,u,ə} {ɨ,i,o,u} _Ci
* a {e,æ} {i,u} o ø y → {ə,o} {ə,o,u} {o,u,ɨ} {a,e} {i,e,(j)e} {(j){a,e},o,u} _Co
* a e i o u æ ø y → {a,ə,o,u} {o,u,a} {i,ɨ} {ə,o,u} {o,u} {o,u,(j)e} {ə,u,je} {o,u,i,ɨ} _Cu

Proto-Altaic to Proto-Mongolic, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_lan ... spondences citing Starostin, Sergei A., Dybo, Anna V., and Mudrak, Oleg A. (2003), Etymological Dictionary of the Altaic Languages. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers.

* e o u æ ø y → {a,e} {o,u} {a,o,u} a {a,o,u} {o,u,i} / _Ca
* a e i o u æ ø y → {a,i} {e,ja} {e,i} {ø,y,o} {o,u,y} {i,a,e} {e,ø} {ø,y,o.u} / _Ce
* i → e / C[+bilabial]_Ci
* a e u æ ø y → {a,e} {e,i} {y,ø} {i,e} {i,e,ø} {o,y,o,u} / _Ci
* e → {y,ø} / C[+bilabial]_Co
* e → {y,ø} / _C[+bilabial]o
* e → o / C[_bilabial_Cu
* e → o /_C[+bilabial]u
* a e o i æ ø y → {a,i,e} {a,e} u {o,u} e {ø,y,o,u} {o,u} / _Co
* a e {o,u} æ ø y → {a,o,u} {e,a} {o,u} {a,o,u} {e,i,u} {i,o,u,y,ø} / _Cu
* pʰ → {h,j} / #_
* pʰ → {b,h} / medial
* pʰ → b / _#
* p → b / #_U[+high pitch]
* p → h (sporadic)
* p → b
* b → h / medial, unless {r,l}(ʲ)_ or _g
* tʰ → d / _#
* t(ʰ) d → tʃ dʒ / _i
* tʰ → t / else
* tʃʰ → tʃ
* tʃ → dʒ / #_i
* tʃ → d / #_, else
* kʰ → g / {C,V}_h
* kʰ → g / _#
* kʰ → k / else
* k → g / except when #_
* g → h / except when {C,V}_h
* z → s
* ʃ → tʃ / #_a
* ʃ → s / else
* nʲ → dʒ / #_
* nʲ → {j,n} / else
* ŋ → g / #_u
* ŋ → n / #_{a,o,e}
* ŋ → {Ø,j} / #_, else
* ŋ → {m,n,ŋ,h}
* rʲ → r
* l → {n,l} / #_
* lʲ → dʒ / #_i
* lʲ → d / #_, else
* lʲ → l / else
* j → {j,h}
* Syllable pitch and length lost

Proto-Altaic to Proto-Tungusic, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_lan ... spondences citing Starostin, Sergei A., Dybo, Anna V., and Mudrak, Oleg A. (2003), Etymological Dictionary of the Altaic Languages. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers.

* o → {o,u} / _CV
* æ → i / {s,ʃ,x}_Ca
* {u,ø,y} æ → {o,u} ia / _Ca
* y → u / C[+bilabial]_C{e,i}
* æ ø → i {o,u} / _Ce
* æ → i / {s,ʃ,x}_Ci
* æ ø y → ia {o,u} i / _Ci
* {u,æ} ø → {o,u} i / _Co
* ø → i / {s,ʃ,x}_Cu
* {u,æ,y} ø → {o,u} ia / _Cu
* p → b / medial
* pʰ → p
* t → dʒ / #_{æ,ø,y}
* t → d / #_, else
* tʰ → t
* tʃʰ → tʃ
* k → {k,g} / #_
* k → g / else
* kʰ → x / #_
* kʰ → {x,k} / else
* z → s
* rʲ lʲ → r l
* U[+low pitch +long] {U[-low pitch +long],U[+short]} → U[+long] U[+short]

Proto-Altaic to Proto-Turkic, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_lan ... spondences citing Starostin, Sergei A., Dybo, Anna V., and Mudrak, Oleg A. (2003), Etymological Dictionary of the Altaic Languages. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers.

* a ø → {a,ʌ} a / C[+bilabial]_Ca
* a e i u æ ø y → a {a,ʌ,ɛ} {ɯ,i} {u,o} {{i,j}a,ɛ} {i,j}a ɯ / _Ca
* e → e / {r,l}(ʲ)_{e,i}
* y → i / {r,l}(ʲ)_e
* e → ja / #_C{e,i}
* ø → ʌ / C[+bilabial]_Ce
* i → e / {r,l}(ʲ)_e
* a {e,i} o u æ ø y → {a,ɯ} ɛ {ø,o} y {i,j}a {e,a} {y,ø} / _Ce
* ø → a / C[+bilabial]Ci
* a e o u æ ø y → {ɛ,a} ɛ {ø,o} {y,u} {{i,j}a,ɛ} {i,j}a {y,ø} / _Ci
* æ → a / C[+bilabial]_Co
* æ → ʌ / C[+bilabial]_Cu
* a e i æ ø y → {o,ja,aj} {ʌ,e} ɯ {i,j}a {o,u} {u,o} / _Co
* e i æ ø y → {ɛ,a,ʌ} {ɯ,i} {e,a} {u,o} ɯ / _Cu
* {pʰ,ŋ} → {Ø,j} / #_
* pʰ → p / else
* tʰ → d / #_(V){lʲ,r(ʲ)}
* tʰ → d / #_ else
* tʰ → t / else
* {t(ʃ)} → d / #_
* {z,d(ʒ),l(ʲ)} → j / #_
* tʃʰ → tʃ
* k → g / _(V)r
* kʰ → k
* ʃ → tʃ / #_a
* ʃ → s / else
* m n(ʲ) → b j / #_
* Syllable pitch lost

Proto-Austronesian to Chamorro, from Blust, Robert (2000), "Chamorro Historical Phonology". Oceanic Linguistics, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jun., 2000), 83-122.

* I am not sure of the chronology of the vowel diachronics:
** e → u
** V → Ø / VC_CV
** i u → e o / in U[+closed]
** i u → e o / _C#
** ja → i / _# (in some circumstances)
** aw → u / _# (in some circumstances)
** uj → {i,u}
* p c → f s
* {ɟ,q} → Ø / #_
* {ɟ,q} → ʔ / else
* k → {Ø,k} / _#
* {d,k} → h / else
* V₀hV₀ → V₀
* h → Ø
* Ø → gʷ / u_a
* Ø → g / a_u
* Ø → j / i_a
* Ø → g / #_V[+round] (after loss of *h)
* Ø → gʷ / #_V[-round] (after loss of *h)
* b z → p {s,<ch>?!}
* d (→ ɹ ?) → Ø / _#
* l R → l g / when initial in U
* l R → t k / when final in U (this former l → d → t ?)
* w j → gʷ dz
* e o also seem to have been gained somehow, but it was not apparent to me as of my reading the paper.

Proto-Potou-Akanic-Bantu to Proto-Bantu, from Stewart, John M. (2002), "The potential of Proto-Potou-Akanic-Bantu as a pilot Proto-Niger-Congo, and the reconstructions updated". JALL 23, 197-224.

* For changes dealing with initial syllables, if the second vowel in the root, if present, is identical to the first (this requirement waived for nasality), these changes also affect the second vowel. If the second consonant is an approximant, changes involving a nasal first vowel also affect the subsequent vowel and consonant.
* ʋ̃ → l̃ / #_
* u ũ → i ĩ / #R[-bilabial]_
* ʋ̃ → ũ / #N_, except when #m_
* ɪ̃ → ĩ / #N[-labial]_
* i ĩ V[-round] → uɪ ũɪ̃ V[+round] / #Cʷ_
* ʋ̃ → ʋ / #R[-bilabial]_
* ʄ̥ → c / #_
* O → R / #_
* ɠʷ → w / _V[-nasalized] / #_
* ɠʷ → w̃ / _V[+nasalized] / #_
* V → V[-nasalized] / #S_
* ɪ̃ → ɛ̃ / #(C)V_C
* ɰ ɰ̃ → j j̃ / #C_
* ɪ ɪ̃ → i ĩ / #(C)V[-high]C_
* ʋ̃ → m / #(C)V_
* N[-voiced] → W[-voiced] / #(C)VC_

Proto-Bantu to Sebirwa, from Chebanne, A. (2000), "The Sebirwa language: a synchronic and diachronic account". Pula: Botswana Journal of African Studies, Vol. 14, No. 2.

* i̜ u̜ → j w / _V[+high +ATR]
* VS → A / _V[+high +ATR]
* S → Sʰ → Aʰ
* V[+high +ATR] → V[+high -ATR]
* NC → C[-voiced] / #_, in nouns
* NC → N[+same POA]C / #_, in verbs
* t d l → {ʈ,tʲ} {ɖ,dʲ} {ɭ,lʲ,ʎ} (The paper is a bit unclear as to which is meant, as the transcription and the textual aspects of the paper seem to disagree here.)
* p t d c ɟ k g → ɸ ɹ {d,l} tʰ Ø h {Ø,g}
* ɸ L ʃ ɹ → pʰ ɖ tʃ ʈ / in the vicinity of nasals
* Ø → g / #n_V, in verbs
* l → d / n_

Proto-Potou-Akanic-Bantu to Proto-Potou-Akanic, from Stewart, John M. (2002), "The potential of Proto-Potou-Akanic-Bantu as a pilot Proto-Niger-Congo, and the reconstructions updated". JALL 23, 197-224.

* C → N / #(C)V[+nasalized]_
* ɰ ɰ̃ → l l̃ / #(C)V_
* ɪ(Cɪ) → e(Ci) / t_; vowel nasalizations retained either way on each
* ɟ ʄ j c ɠ̥ʷ → c ɟ ʄ t ɠ̥p
* (N)V[+mid +nasalized](l̃) → CV[-nasalized]n / in #U
* V[+nasalized](ʋ̃,l̃) → V[-nasalized](m,n) / #C̬[+sonorant -nasal(ized)]_

Proto-Potou-Akanic to Proto-Akanic, from Stewart, John M. (2002), "The potential of Proto-Potou-Akanic-Bantu as a pilot Proto-Niger-Congo, and the reconstructions updated". JALL 23, 197-224.

* V[+high +ATR](C(V[+high -ATR]) V[-ATR] → (C)V[-high +ATR](CV[+high +ATR]) V[+ATR] / #R̬[+dorsal -nasal]_
* ɛ → ia / #(C)_
* O̥ o̬ W → C̥[+continuant] O̥ F / #_
* ɰ̃ w̃ ɰ → h̃ h̃ʷ h / #_
* h̃ hʷ → ɕ ɕʷ
* h → ɲĩ / #_ã
* h → w / #_
* t → c / #_V[+coronal(?!) -nasalized]

Proto-Akanic to Akan, from Stewart, John M. (2002), "The potential of Proto-Potou-Akanic-Bantu as a pilot Proto-Niger-Congo, and the reconstructions updated". JALL 23, 197-224.

* l l̃ → j j̃ / #_
* C[+coronal +dorsal] → Cʷ[+coronal +dorsal] / _V[+round]
* V[+round] → V[-round] / #C[+coronal +dorsal]_C[-labial]
* V[+nasalized] → V[-nasalized] / #j_
* f → j / #_V
* f → j̃ / #_V[+nasalized]
* {p,ʋ̃} c k͜p → f s p / #_
* n → ŋ / #(C)V_
* N → S (I'm not sure what's going on here in the paper, but here it is presented anyway for your enjoyment)
* V → Ø / #(C)VC[-coronal]_
* ʋ l → w ɹ / #(C)V_
* V[+high] → V[+high +nasalized] / #(C)_C[+nasal]
* i → Ø / #C_a
* ĩ → Ø / #C_ã
* C[+dorsal -nasal] → C[+coronal -nasal] / #_V[+coronal]

Proto-Maidun to Nisenan Vowel Shift, from Ultan, Russell (1964), "Proto-Maidun Phonology". International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 30, No. 4 (Oct. 1964), 355-370.

u i e a → ɨ e a o

Proto-Malayo-Polynesian to Proto-North Sarawak, from Blust, Robert (2002), "Kiput Historical Phonology". Oceanic Linguistics, Vol. 41, No. 2 (Dec., 2002), 384-438.

* {ħ̝ [which Blust gives for <q>],h} → Ø / #_
* {ħ̝,h} → Ø / V₁[+high]_V₂, such that V₁ ≠ V₂
* h → Ø / _#
* h → ʔ / V_V else
* q → ʔ / else
* ə → V₀ / _V₀
* ə → V₀ / V₀_
* a → ə / in U[+penultimate]
* ə → Ø / _V(C(…C))#
* C₁əC₂ → C₁ː / V_V, where both C₁ and C₂ shared the same POA
* ə → Ø / VC_CV, with some exceptions
* C₁C₂ → C₁ː / "in reduplicated monosyllables" where both C₁ and C₂ shared the same POA
* C → Cː / ə_
* {b,d,dʒ,g}ː → {bʱ,dʱ,dʒʱ,gʱ} (→ {s,s,s,k} in Kaput)
* ə → Ø / #_UU# (that is, #_ in U[+antepenultimate]
* C[-voiced]ː → C[-voiced] / except when ə_
* NS → N[+same POA]S / sometimes
* NS → Sː → S[+voiced]S[-voiced] / sometimes
* dʒ ts → d s

Proto-North Sarawak to Kiput, from Blust, Robert (2002), "Kiput Historical Phonology". Oceanic Linguistics, Vol. 41, No. 2 (Dec., 2002), 384-438.

* Stress shift to U[+penultimate]
* ʔ → Ø / {C,V}_{C,V}
* k v → Ø / i_V (not universally lost)
* k → Ø / V₁_V₂, sporadic
* i u → j w / a_#
* e → a / _ʔ#
* ai au → eː oː / medial
* i u → {a,e}j {a,e}w / _#
* Ø → h / a_#
* s → Ø / V_V{C,V}, sporadic
* {V₀{V₀,ə},əV₀} → V₀
* V[+stressed] → Vː
* r → l / non-final, sporadic
* iV uV → ijV uwV
* j w → dz v / V_V
* iw → wi / _#, sporadic
* s → Ø / _#
* i u → e o / C[+alveolar/palatal/velar], sporadic
* r → ʔ / _#, sporadic
* a → i / in U#, if O[+voiced] occurs somewhere before it in the word
* O[+voiced] → O[-voiced] / _(…)i(C)#
* i u v {a,e}j {a,e}w / _(r,s,ʔ)#
* ə → a / _{j,w}
* f → s
* {b,d(ʒ),g}ʱ → {f,s,k}
* dʒ g v → tʃ k f / V_V
* i u → iə̯ uə̯ / _{k,ŋ}#
* k ŋ → ʔ Ø / _ə̯#
* d → {ɾ,l,d,s}
* ə → a / _C#
* NS[+voice] → {N,NS[-voice],S,NS[+voice]}
* #U → Ø / sporadic, tends to be in words that had had the j w → dz v change
* ə → Ø / #_
* {l,r,ɾ} → n / _#
* n → l / #_, sporadic
* n → l / {V,C}_{C,V}, extremely rare
* dz s → d t / #_
* C[+voice] → C[-voice] / _#

Proto-Kenyah to Òma Lóngh Kenyah, from Blust, Robert (2007), "Òma Lóngh Historical Phonology". Oceanic Linguistics, Vol. 46, No. 1 (Jun., 2007), 1-53.

NB: Proto-Kenyah is, according to the paper, a descendant of the above Proto-North Sarawak

* i u → e o / _{k → ʔ}#
* u → o / _p#
* i u → ie o / _ŋ#
* u → e / else, except when _ʔ#
* a → e / _ʔ#
* a → o / _#
* a → ɛ / _{t,n}#
* aj aw {uj,iw} → ɛ ɔ e
* i u → e o / _(C){e,o}(C)#
* i u → ɛ ɔ / _(C){ɛ,ɔ}(C)#
* {i,u} → ə / _{W > F}V(C)#
* {i,u} → Ø / #_
* Vowel harmony triggered:
** i u → e o / _(C){e,o}
** i u → ɛ ɔ / _(C){e,ə,o}
** i u e o → ɪ ʊ ɛ ɔ / lax vowel preceding
** ɪ ʊ ɛ ɔ → i u e o / tense vowel preceding
* aʔ → {a,eʔ}
* ʔ → Ø / _#
* p → ʔ / {a,u}_#
* p → j / i_#
* t → j / {a,i}_#
* t → k / u_#
* k → ʔ / _#
* ə → e / _{m,n}#
* n → ɲ / a_#
* ŋ → ŋɣ / _#
* {m,n} → ɲ / i_#
* {m,n} → ŋ / u_#
* p → f / #_
* p → f / {C,V}_{V,C}, except when ə[+stressed]_
* k d → ɣ ɾ / #_ (sporadic, allophonic)
* k → ŋ̊ / ə[+stressed]_V
* k → ɣ / V_V else
* h → Ø
* w j → v z / except when _#
Last edited by Pogostick Man on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

I should point out that "Siouan-Iroquoian" is not in fact a demonstrated grouping. There's some evidence that any of Siouan-Catawban, Iroquoian, and/or Caddoan might be very distantly related to one another, but Chafe's evidence isn't accepted as convincing by most Americanists.

Also, if your textbook really gives the "Southern Shift" as:
* j → Ø / ɑ_
* ej → ɑj
* i → iə̪
* ɪ ɛ æ → i ɪ ɛ
* uw ow → {iw,y} {ɛo̯,œ} (NB: Due to the transcription in the book I'm not sure which of these outcomes are meant.)
* ɔ → u
* ɑ → ɔ
It's...pretty inaccurate!

A more accurate account might be something akin to:

*aj → aː
*ej → ɛj or æj
*i → ɪj or əj
*ɪ ɛ æ → i(j)ə ɛ(j)ə æ(j)ə (also /ɛ/ > /ɪ/ only happens before nasals)
*uw → something like ɨw
*ow → something like əw
*ɔ → something like ɑɔ or ɑɒ

The Wikipedia description seems to be about right.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Oh also, looking at the list of Proto-Algonquian > Munsee changes, there's a few that are either inaccurate or misinterpreted (and it should be noted that they are grouped thematically rather than chronologically).
Rorschach wrote:* tʃ → t / in nouns
This only applies to those instances of */tʃ/ in nouns that were mutations of underlying *t -- in other words, it's an analogical rather than strictly phonological change.
* {θ,ʃ} → {ɹ,l}
This is another misreading. Basically, PA underlying *θ was mutated to */ʃ/ in certain environments; what Goddard says is simply that this */ʃ/ (but not other instances of /ʃ/) changed analogically to /l/ (which, as elsewhere in your list of changes, is the regular reflex of */θ/)
* w → Ø / except when {k,p,m}_
This still only applies after consonants (i.e., not to initial, or post-vocalic, instances of *w, which are not lost).
* Cʷ → C / _ə{(C){p,kʷ},m,w}
This should really read something more like "Cw → C / _ə{p(C),kw(C),m,w}".
*{k,p,m}w → {k,p,m}ʷ / else
And this is kind of inaccurate, at least from a phonemic standpoint. *w just remains after remaining instances of */k p m/; they don't become labio(velar)ized.
* ʔ → h / _C, except for C = /l/ and in products of reduplication
* h → Ø / _{s,x}
* n{θ,l} → hl
Missing from this group of changes is that of original *hl → /x/, preceding these three. The first change in this list can then be simplified as simply "ʔ → h / _C". Although *hl probably shouldn't be reconstructed for PA in the first place...
* i o → iː oː; apparently eː was also long, but the paper states that there were only two short vowels (namely, /a/ and /ə/) and four long vowels (namely, /aː eː iː oː/)
Another bit of confusion, because Goddard is constantly referring to PA and Proto-Eastern-Algonquian in the same breath. PA had four long and four short vowels, */a e i o aː eː iː oː/. As reconstructed, PEA eliminated the length contrast in all but */a/~*/aː/, by changing */e/ to */ə/, and lengthening */i/ and */o/, leading to the system you mention. Munsee then simply continues this PEA vowel system, with the exception of the changes that follow in your list.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Thanks very much for the updates! I'll fix them ASAP.
Whimemsz wrote:Also, if your textbook really gives the "Southern Shift" as:
* j → Ø / ɑ_
* ej → ɑj
* i → iə̪
* ɪ ɛ æ → i ɪ ɛ
* ɔ → u
* ɑ → ɔ
It's...pretty inaccurate!
A few of the changes weren't even delineated textually, just shown on a vowel space diagram using arrows, which was a pain.
Whimemsz wrote:
*{k,p,m}w → {k,p,m}ʷ / else
And this is kind of inaccurate, at least from a phonemic standpoint. *w just remains after remaining instances of */k p m/; they don't become labio(velar)ized.
That's part of the reason I hate Americanist transcriptions; I can never tell when a /w/ is really a /w/ or when it's a /ʷ/. (Or when /hw/ is actually a voiceless /w/.)
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Rorschach wrote:That's part of the reason I hate Americanist transcriptions; I can never tell when a /w/ is really a /w/ or when it's a /ʷ/. (Or when /hw/ is actually a voiceless /w/.)
Man, tell me about it. (Although, I think in Americanist transcription, voiceless liquids/resonants/semivowels are usually written with capital letters, so voiceless /w/ would be "W", voiceless /n/ would be "N", etc.)

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Whimemsz wrote:
Rorschach wrote:That's part of the reason I hate Americanist transcriptions; I can never tell when a /w/ is really a /w/ or when it's a /ʷ/. (Or when /hw/ is actually a voiceless /w/.)
Man, tell me about it. (Although, I think in Americanist transcription, voiceless liquids/resonants/semivowels are usually written with capital letters, so voiceless /w/ would be "W", voiceless /n/ would be "N", etc.)
Is there really a somewhat consistent Americanist transcription in this case (voiceless consonants, but also more generally)? I'm genuinely curious, as I haven't look up much americanist stuff, but I got the impression that it's such a hodgepodge that you can barely make any generalizations (beyond č š for [ʧ ʃ] of course.)
Image Image

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

It actually is reasonably standardized, in my experience. Although my experience is basically reading articles in the International Journal of American Linguistics, plus a handful of books on Indian languages (by Lyle Campbell, Marianne Mithun, Ives Goddard, etc.). For me the more confusing part is that it seems like in recent years, the Americanist system has been losing ground to IPA, which in theory is probably a good thing but in practice it means that the two systems seem like they're mixed together a lot so it's hard to know when I should be reading something as Americanist vs. IPA (vs. the transcription system adopted by specialists in a given individual language and/or that language's standard(ish) Latin orthography).

The Wikipedia chart is a fairly good guide; although just looking at it I notice that, for instance, I've seen the dental/alveolar distinction (in, for instance, Yuman languages) marked differently, with the IPA dental symbol under a consonant marking it as dental, and the "retroflex" underdot marking it as (post)alveolar--the version in Wikipedia's chart in this case is essentially the IPA standard.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

I've seen <¢> more than a few times, mostly with respect to Mayan languages but once with regards to Siouan. Based on the latter, my first guess would be that it represents /θ/ or /ɬ/, but I am not sure…does anybody know what sound this actually represents?
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

In old documents on Dhegihan languages, it represents a voiced interdental fricative. Or, rather, a voiced interdental approximant. But that's why the branch is also spelled "Ȼegiha" in old documents and stuff.

In the case of Mayan (and I've seen it used this way for other American languages too, but mostly in publications from like the 70s) it represents /ts/, I believe. I'm not 100% certain if that's what it is in Mayan.