Polysynthetic Conlang

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

So they're nouns?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:So they're nouns?
No, they're verbs usually. E.g., my Cheyenne name is Vohpenonoma?e, nominalized as White Thunder, but it really means something like 'he-thunders-whitely'.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

No, they're verbs usually. E.g., my Cheyenne name is Vohpenonoma?e, nominalized as White Thunder, but it really means something like 'he-thunders-whitely'.
I see. What other examples do you have?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:
I see. What other examples do you have?
Leman has a huge list of traditional Cheyenne names on his site. Today, Cheyennes typically have an English name and secondary Cheyenne name (e.g., Eugene Little-Bear).

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

jburke wrote:
How did you get a Cheyenne name? Do you just choose one?

jburke

Post by jburke »

Maknas wrote:
jburke wrote:
How did you get a Cheyenne name? Do you just choose one?
It was given to me by friends, when I stayed on the reservation with them for a couple weeks back in the late 90s. Naming of outsiders is an ancient tradition among the Cheyenne (and many other tribes as well).

The meaning is not terribly flattering: I made a lot of noise when I moved through the house; but that's all a part of the teasing and joking the Cheyenne are famous for.

jburke

Post by jburke »

I usually try to make my own names fit the person (or place) both in terms of meaning and sound. Among my favorites are the grizzley bear gods Ayaaloama and Sagodaama, and the otter/shaman god Yaxoamashe. I also like Kamoatka a good deal; I did some twisting of morphemes and grammar to hang onto it.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Is it true that Blackfoot only has 100 morphemes?

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:Is it true that Blackfoot only has 100 morphemes?
No; the theory is that all of its current morphemes can be accounted for by 80-100 historical morphemes. But this has yet to be shown, and I consider it somewhat unlikely.

But the language of the Hyakuro, which I never explicitly named, does work on about 100 morphemes. Dudicon, at the moment, is trying to construct his own language on this kind of model; he may decide to share his adventures with you...nor not, depending.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Do any natlangs have this model? Are there any that have a low number of morphemes like that?

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:Do any natlangs have this model? Are there any that have a low number of morphemes like that?
Whorf first came up with the idea, and thought maybe Nahuatl was; it isn't, and none have yet been found.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

It's so cool how one can say an entire sentence using one heavily inflected verb in a polylang.

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:It's so cool how one can say an entire sentence using one heavily inflected verb in a polylang.
I've long been in love with their elegance and succinctness. E.g., e?eomo is four syllables, while its English equivalent 'He-hits-him-repeatedly' is seven. But this kind of compactness is not merely due to heavy inflection; it's due (in this case) to reduplication that indicates iterative action. The real secret to Algonquian compactness lies in stuff like reduplication, initial change and sound symbolism, all of which function morphologically to help pare down the length of words.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I've long been in love with their elegance and succinctness. E.g., e?eomo is four syllables, while its English equivalent 'He-hits-him-repeatedly' is seven. But this kind of compactness is not merely due to heavy inflection; it's due (in this case) to reduplication that indicates iterative action. The real secret to Algonquian compactness lies in stuff like reduplication, initial change and sound symbolism, all of which function morphologically to help pare down the length of words.
I also like how a word can be a noun or a verb and how different they are from the standard Latin based model. One person even asked my how a lang could have free word order without case marking on nouns.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Do Mohawk and Cheyenne have something like adverbs? You mentioned the name he-thunders-whitely.

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:Do Mohawk and Cheyenne have something like adverbs? You mentioned the name he-thunders-whitely.
Cheyenne has preverbs, some of which modify in an adverbial-like way; and Mohawk has certain suffixes which do the same. But they don't have adverbs, no.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Do they have something like locatives that serve the role cases have in IE langs(ie, they have a locative-like thing for "for the president")?

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:Do they have something like locatives that serve the role cases have in IE langs(ie, they have a locative-like thing for "for the president")?
That would not be a locative; it would be a benefactive. And, yes, there are ways of indicating that in both languages.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Does it have tenses?

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:Does it have tenses?
No.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

jburke wrote:
Eddy the Great wrote:Does it have tenses?
No.
How does that work?

jburke

Post by jburke »

How does that work?
I really don't understand the question. Mohawk has no tenses, and gets along just fine. The concept of time among the Mohawk doesn't match up too well with the neat past, present, future paradigm of IE languages.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

So no distinction in time is made at all? There's no difference between statements like 'I live in...' and 'I used to live in...'?

jburke

Post by jburke »

Maknas wrote:So no distinction in time is made at all? There's no difference between statements like 'I live in...' and 'I used to live in...'?
There's no time distinction made per se, no. But from use mood and aspect combinations, you can deduce certain temporal things, if you wanted to. E.g., manifest+continuative = roughly the present;
manifest+perfective = roughly the past. But as a rule Mohawk speakers don't trouble themselves about time in the way Europeans or Americans do.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Do these langs have something like -ism or -ment or un-?