Intro to Basic Concepts of COGNITIVE LINGUISTICS

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

I'm afraid I don't understand how frames work in more detail. I understand your bachelor example and your fake gun example; that the words have some attributes associated with them and without them (eg. without the gun not having been a real gun before) you can't use the word.

But what I don't understand are lists like:
Core Frame Elements:
CAUSE (of death), e.g., drowning, stabbing, shooting, falling, hitting over the head, etc.
INSTRUMENT [must be tangible entity], e.g., gun, knife, etc.
MEANS/METHOD, e.g., cutting off access to food, pushing off of a cliff, etc.
PERPETRATOR [must be sentient]
VICTIM [must be alive prior to the killing]

Non-Core Frame Elements:
DEGREE [with adjectives describes killing potential; with nouns indicates extent of effect], e.g., that poison is deadly, They?re guilty ofmass murder.
DEPICTIVE [the state of the killer or victim during the killing]
MANNER, e.g., quietly, loudly, sloppily, competently, etc.
PLACE [the geographical location where the killing took place]
PURPOSE [the state of affairs the killer is trying to bring about by killing]
REASON [the preexisting state of affairs the killer is responding to]
RESULT [this is often redundant depending on the chosen verb, e.g., I beat him to death vs. * I decapitated him to death]
TIME
What's that supposed to mean really? I mean, why are some core elements and some not? You don't need to specify the instrument any more than you need to specify the reason for killing someone. There's something I don't get here.

And this list is also not connected with the type of frame that I do understand, that some attributes associated with the word have to be there, is it? A list like this one doesn't seem to be able to specify that the gun can't have been a real gun before for example.

I hope you understand what I mean, it was hard to express exactly what I meant sometimes...
Attention, je pelote !

JohnQPublik
Sanci
Sanci

Post by JohnQPublik »

Dingbats:

Since I don't pretend to speak for Dr. Fillmore or for the team associated with FrameNet, I can only offer you my own perspective on the matter. I myself am not certain as to what the distinction between "core" and "non-core" elements in the FrameNet listings are, as they certainly do NOT correlate with information that must be overtly expressed, e.g., it is certainly possible to talk about killing without mentioning the INSTRUMENT used.

Nor do they correlate with information that doesn't have to be present by implication even if not overtly expressed, e.g., PLACE, RESULT, and TIME are all listed as "non-core" yet all killings, being tangible events in the real world, must take place at a particular place and time, and have a particular result, whether these are expressed or even relevant to the context or not.

Consequently, until such time that someone at FrameNet can explain the distinction, (or we undertake our own research into the matter), I would simply ignore the core versus non-core distinction and simply ponder what elements of the frame you consider relevant for your own conlang's purpose, which you want to modify, add, delete, etc.

Also, consider the impact your conlang's morphology has on whether all frame elements are necessary. As my most previous posting illustrated, if your derivational morphology allows detailed manipulation of semantic contexts in terms of agency, instrumentality, enablement, motivation, etc., then it is quite likely that your frames do not need to include these elements/parameters. The choice is up to you of course.

As to how a listing for the "gun" frame might accommodate the fact that it must be "real", how about a parameter such as ORIGINAL STATUS or HISTORY for that particular frame, which would indicate it was originally functional or operative?

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Thanks for your reply. :)

This is gonna be hard. For almost every word you create, you have to think completely out of the box trying to find a frame.

In any case, I think the FrameNet list is weird. You can express the reason behind any action, same with time, place, instrument etc. So I don't see why that should be considered a part of the frame for a word.

What I can see in that list is things like "VICTIM [must be alive prior to the killing]", now after reading your last post I understand how that makes sense. For the gun frame you could have "HISTORY [cannot ever have been used as a real gun]" as a comparable frame element.

I'm understanding it more and more, I bet I'll jump for joy when I get it completely! :)
Attention, je pelote !

JohnQPublik
Sanci
Sanci

Post by JohnQPublik »

Lesson 11: Mental Spaces

11.0 Illustrating the Problem
Remember the ?If I were you I?d hate me/myself? problem way back at the beginning of this thread? Well, it?s time to analyze what?s going on. Consider the following sentences:

1a) *The girl with blue eyes has green eyes.
1b) In that photo, the girl with blue eyes has green eyes.

2a) *I?m taller than I am.
2b) John thinks I?m taller than I am.

Sentence (1a) and (2a), although syntactically well-formed, are unacceptable because they are semantically anomalous in that they contain contradictions. According to formalist theories of grammar (e.g., Chomsky?s), sentences (1b) and (2b) should likewise be unacceptable. But instead, they are acceptable. How can this be?

Let?s look at our curious example from early on:

3a) *I would hate me.
3b) If I were you I?d hate me.
3c) If I were you I?d hate myself.

Sentence (3a) is unacceptable because it is grammatically ill-formed (the co-referential pronoun at the end of the sentence should be ?myself?). Chomsky and other formalist theories have no simple explanation as to how this ungrammatical sentence can magically transform itself into being grammatical when preceded by the adverbial if-phrase in sentence (3b). The situation becomes more bizarre when we see that the sentence is distinct in meaning from sentence (3c), and that the co-referenced party within each sentence is different for each sentence, i.e., in (3b) ?me? refers to the speaker, but in (3c) ?myself? refers to the listener.

Cognitive linguistics offers elegant answers to the above puzzlers via Gilles Fauconnier?s theory of Mental Spaces. To understand the idea of mental spaces, it is perhaps easiest to first look at the simpler linguistic phenomenon of metonymy.

11.1 Metonymy
We discussed metonymy briefly earlier in this thread, but let?s look at it more closely. Consider the following sentences:

6) You?ll find Hemingway on the top shelf.
7) Van Gogh fetches enormous prices these days.
8 ) The White House has announced that all Iraqis are happy.
9) The ham-and-cheese wants a refill on his coffee.

The above four sentences all utilize substitution of one concept in place of another. Sentence (6) does not mean Ernest Hemingway, the person, is sitting on the top shelf, but rather a book or books written by him. Likewise, in sentence (7), Van Gogh the person is not being sold into slavery, and in sentences (8 ) and (9) it is neither a white-colored building whose address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C., nor a sandwich that has magically learned to talk. Metonymy shows that human beings have the cognitive ability to refer to a concept by substituting a different concept as long as the substitute concept is conceptually linked in some way, e.g., creator-for-creation, place-for-person, consumable-for-consumer, etc.

The entity that is the ?normal? referent for a metonymic construction is termed the ?trigger? while the entity to which the predicate applies is termed the ?target,? so that in sentence (6), Hemingway the person/author is the trigger and the book by him is the target. Metonymy is yet another example of how important the knowledge of frames are to understanding language usage. Consider what the above sentences would mean to someone who had never heard of Hemingway, Van Gogh, the White House, or a ham-and-cheese sandwich.

At any rate, the important lesson of metonymy to apply to the theory of mental spaces is the notion of trigger and target.

11.2 Mental Spaces
Examine the pair of sentences above in (1a/b) again. Sentence (1b) becomes grammatical because the phrase ?in that photo? serves to create a hypothetical reality, which functions as a parallel ?mental space,? allowing us to divide up the entity named in the sentence into trigger and target. The trigger (the entity who exists in ?our? reality) is ?the girl with blue eyes,? while the target is the figure pictured in the photo, an entity to which the predicate ?has green eyes? applies. The reason why ?the girl with blue eyes? can be used to refer to the target (the figure in the photo) is that there is a pragmatic function linking that figure to a real person, i.e., the fact that the figure in the photo is a representation of the girl with blue eyes in the real world. The sentence relies on an understanding common to all human beings that an image can function as a ?representation? of something in the real world. The relationship between the trigger (reality) space and the target (photo) space can be diagrammed.

Based on the above analysis, the phrase ?in that photo? is termed a space builder because it serves to create an alternative, hypothetical mental space (i.e., hypothetical parallel reality) in which elements from reality can be mapped in a one-to-one correspondence with different but conceptually linked elements in the mental space. The creation of this alternative mental space by the phrase ?in that photo? allows for a girl with blue eyes and a girl with green eyes to co-exist and yet be one-and-the same entity, explaining why sentence (1b) can be semantically acceptable while sentence (1a) is not (because it has no space-building word or phrase to create the hypothetical parallel reality).

Similarly, the phrase ?John thinks? is a space builder in sentence (2b), creating a split between the trigger (reality) space where ?I? am, and the target (hypothetical) space where John?s beliefs reside. In the reality space, I have my actual height (h), while in the target space my height is greater than that (H). Once again, the space-builder phrase allows the two ?halves? of the contradiction to exist separately in alternate spaces, one real, the other hypothetical, allowing the sentence to be semantically acceptable while its simpler, ?single space? version (2a) is not.

As for our pesky trio of sentences (3a,b,c), the if-phrase is the space-builder which allows us to explain the distinction between (3a) and (3b), similar to the examples above. But how to explain the distinction between (3b) and (3c)? Here, we need to bring in our old friend, conceptual metaphor, to help us. In English (and presumably other languages), a conceptual metaphor exists which separates an individual human being into what has been termed the ?Subject? versus the ?Self.? The Subject is essentially the inalienable seat of our rational/moral judgments, while the ?Self? is the quasi-alienable part of ourselves that interacts directly with the world. Evidence for this Subject-versus-Self conceptual metaphor is seen in sentences such as I couldn?t stop myself, You got carried away, He?s a very together person, She can?t help herself when it comes to chocolate. Given this conceptual split between Subject and Self, we can now diagram these sentences. First sentence (3b):

The diagram above shows ?If I were you I?d hate myself? which is uttered in the situation where I strongly disapprove of the way you behave. Here, the if-phrase sets up a mental space (or hypothetical world, if you prefer) with counterparts of both ?I? and ?you? except that the counterpart of ?you? contains my Subject instead of yours. This means that in the mental space, your bad behavior (as judged by my Subject occupying your Self) would cause you to experience self-hatred. Since the hatred is self-directed (it is experienced by the constructed ?you? against your Self), it is appropriate to use a reflexive pronoun as per the normal grammatical rule of co-referentiality.

On the other hand, ?If I were you I?d hate me? is uttered when I disapprove of my own actions (even if you apparently do not disapprove), so that the constructed ?you? has grounds for hating ?me? (the speaker). Here, the hatred is not self-directed, thus there is no co-reference and so the appropriate accusative pronoun ?me? is correctly applied per the normal grammatical rule.

Mental space theory can also easily explain sentences involving referential ambiguities such as:

10) Jean thinks she wants to marry a Norwegian.

This sentence has three different meanings. It can mean that there is a specific Norwegian whom Jean believes she has a desire to marry, or it can mean Jean believes she has a desire to marry some Norwegian (but she hasn?t found any eligible ones yet), or it can mean she wants to marry to a specific person she believes to be Norwegian but in fact he isn?t Norwegian at all. The mental space diagrams for all three interpretations are quite distinct from one another (trust me, ?cause I?m too lazy at the moment to draw them).

Interesting enough, some languages (e.g., the Romance languages) are able to grammatically distinguish between some of these types of sentences using the indicative versus subjunctive mood distinction. For example in French:

11a) Jeanne veut ?pouser quelqu?un qui est Norv?gien.
11b) Jeanne veut ?pouser quelqu?un qui soit Norv?gien.

Sentence (11a) implies a particular, identified Norwegian exists whom she has in mind, whereas sentence (11b) implies that no particular Norwegian has been identified and she may never find one for all we know.

11.3 Implications for Conlanging
This should be giving you ideas for your conlang as to just how or whether your conlang should be grammatically identifying contexts involving hypothetical mental spaces. Should you use different moods on the verbs like the Romance languages or leave it all ambiguous like English? How about a different verbal voice? Or maybe suffixes on the noun participants to indicate they are hypothetical representations of real-world counterparts. Perhaps even different counterpart lexemes altogether!? (As for Ithkuil, it has an entire morphological category called ?Essence? that identifies such hypothetical/representational contexts.)

11.4 In Conclusion
Well, I think I am going to bow out now regarding continuing these lessons. Needless to say, there are lots of other fascinating aspects of cognitive linguistics which we have not discussed (and we have only scratched the surface of the topics that have been mentioned), but unfortunately I am burning out on preparing them, and I want to get back to work on the Ithkuil lexicon and the Il?ksh website. So, for those of you who have found this thread interesting, I leave you to take it from here on doing your own research, study, etc. on the topic.

Thanks for your attention! Cheerio!
Last edited by JohnQPublik on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Thanks a lot for that, JohnQPublik! :D If any thread should be stickied, it's this one.

I'll have a hard time applying this to my conlang, but it will definitely be worth it.

Again thanks for these lessons!
Attention, je pelote !

JohnQPublik
Sanci
Sanci

Post by JohnQPublik »

I found this excellent article on image schemas I thought I'd share with y'all.

And here's another one that analyzes the Polish preposition "po" and presents lots of graphic representations of various image schemas.

Rik
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rik »

John - many thanks for taking the time to write and post these mini-essays. I've found them very thought-provoking, and already have plans for incorporating some of the ideas into Gevey (though I'm not going to rush anything).

Rik

JohnQPublik
Sanci
Sanci

Post by JohnQPublik »

Rik wrote:John - many thanks for taking the time to write and post these mini-essays. I've found them very thought-provoking, and already have plans for incorporating some of the ideas into Gevey (though I'm not going to rush anything).Rik
You're welcome. I look forward to one day reading about the changes or enhancements to Gevey. It and the whole Kalieda website was one of the first conglang/conworld websites I ever visited and it remains one of my favorites.

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

With JohnQPublik's permission, you can now find all the lessons he wrote here (on one page with a neat little table of contents) at:

http://www.chrisdb.me.uk/wiki/doku.php? ... inguistics
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

CGreathouse
Sanci
Sanci

Post by CGreathouse »

chris_notts wrote:With JohnQPublik's permission, you can now find all the lessons he wrote here (on one page with a neat little table of contents) at:

At the end of Lesson 9, I'm pretty sure "IE" refers to "Indo-European", not "Internet Explorer" as the acronym title would suggest.
Even for those of you with human or humanoid speakers of your conlangs, the sorts of metaphors described above are culture-specific. Do you want your conworld to use the same metaphors for conceptualizing “canonical” events, things, and persons as Indo-European languages? (I suppose if your conlang is supposed to be IE-related you would, but otherwise...)

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

CGreathouse wrote:
chris_notts wrote:With JohnQPublik's permission, you can now find all the lessons he wrote here (on one page with a neat little table of contents) at:

At the end of Lesson 9, I'm pretty sure "IE" refers to "Indo-European", not "Internet Explorer" as the acronym title would suggest.
:D The sorting out of internet acronyms like IE, HTML is something the Wiki seems to do automatically... I'll try to figure out how to turn it off, or failing that write out Indo-European in full.
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

Aidan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aidan »

Feeling argumentative.
chris_notts wrote:And this is where my great problem with Chomsky lies. His indefensible assumptions like the "poverty of stimulus" non-argument on which he bases his claims that his UG exists are: a) rampantly disproven by the data, and b) never even have attempted proofs or justifications (apart from waffle which in the end boils down to "it's obvious") by their supporters.
Can you give me an example of the disproofs of poverty of stimulus? I have seen quite good arguments in favor of it, including even formal proofs. The formal proofs do require as input some assumptions which are controversial, but it's hardly "it's obvious".
JohnQPublik wrote:Cognition is cognition. Learning is learning. Pattern-recognition and matching is pattern-recognition and matching; imitation and practice is imitation and practice, whether learning your native language or learning to ride a bicycle or select and put on clothes to wear.
Do cognitivists believe that different people learn language better or worse? Do cognitivists believe that we could teach a child to select fashionable clothing at 6 months, then put off teaching them language until their 20s?

greg
Niš
Niš

Post by greg »

JohnQPublik wrote:The human mind is embodied, i.e., the way the mind works is fundamentally tied to the nature of the human body as a whole. Any ontological separation between mind and body, whether physically objective or spiritually subjective can be empirically shown to be nonsense. Cartesian dualism is bunk. Descartes was just plain wrong.

[...]

Later, we can start taking the car apart (rather than putting it together) to determine how the “whole” car developed not just from the amalgamation of its parts, but also the synergy of its parts (i.e., where new structure “emerges” from the parts beyond the sum of those parts).
As you can see, the cognitive approach aligns much more closely with the “holistic” approach to science that is becoming increasingly mainstream these days, as opposed to the old approach which is definitely reductionist in nature (i.e., the assumption that a whole can be understood simply by understanding its parts).
So cognitive linguistics is essentially monistic and yet views reductionist materialism as unfit to approach how mind works. That’s indeed a two-stroke rejection of Cartesian dualism, the hylic part of which is reductionist. How do connectionism, emergentism and functionalism articulate within the framework designed by cognitivists ?

And do cognitivists consider linguistics a mere province of Naturwissenchaft ?

JohnQPublik wrote:Cognitive linguists believe Language is a reflection of what is going on inside the human mind, and therefore can tell us about the workings of the human mind.
Am I right in guessing that the English word language here would mean langage in French as opposed to langue ?

JohnQPublik wrote:Because the seat of ?mind? exists in the brain, any conclusions drawn by cognitive linguists from linguistic data should be empirically consistent with the findings of neuroscience and psychology, and, in fact, linguistics and these other fields must all be considered not just related, but inter-related sub-fields of the larger field of cognitive science, the study of the workings of the human brain and its primary product, human consciousness and the phenomenon of mind.

Similarly, needn’t neuroscience and psychology be compatible with linguistics tout court — that is structuralism included ? Without a formal language, the mind can't talk about the brain, where it should be nesting. Conversely, isn’t a language needed anyway were the hosting human brain to perform mind exploration or pass on related findings ?