resources

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: resources

Post by dhok »

Does anybody have a PDF grammar of Dogrib lying around? What we really need is an online file repository for PDFs...hosted somewhere other than America, of course, hopefully hosted in a country with weak copyright protection...

Also, a grammar of Halkomelem. It's a Salishan language. Enjoy.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

dhokarena56 wrote: Also, a grammar of Halkomelem. It's a Salishan language. Enjoy.
That's not a grammar...

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

It's a space station.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

dhokarena56 wrote:What we really need is an online file repository for PDFs...hosted somewhere other than America, of course, hopefully hosted in a country with weak copyright protection...
uz-translations already exists.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

If you want a thematic dictionary, which might help you to generate your vocabulary, one of them is:
Infobase Publishing wrote:Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary, Fourth Edition
Format:EBOOK
Authored by: Marc McCutcheon
From the Series: Writers Reference
Trim Size: ISBN-10: 1438129742
ISBN-13: 978-1-4381-2974-7
Imprint: Facts On File
Published: 05/01/2010
Dewey Number: 423

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

dhokarena56 wrote:Does anybody have a PDF grammar of Dogrib lying around? What we really need is an online file repository for PDFs...hosted somewhere other than America, of course, hopefully hosted in a country with weak copyright protection...

Also, a grammar of Halkomelem. It's a Salishan language. Enjoy.
How thick!
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

If I end up going to the University of Rochester, and I hope I do, there is a grammar of Upriver Halkomelem in the library, while none exists online. I promise to scan it for you guys.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

dhokarena56 wrote:If I end up going to the University of Rochester, and I hope I do, there is a grammar of Upriver Halkomelem in the library, while none exists online. I promise to scan it for you guys.
My school! I didn't know anyone here was interested in/is going to UofR besides me!

You can check if they have this book here: http://www.library.rochester.edu/ I just searched "Upriver Halkomelem and it looks like there is a grammar (by Brent Galloway, 1993), and a dictionary (Brent Galloway, 2009)

*edit* Derp, I thought you were asking if they had it, not stating that they do...

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

Hey, anyone know a good resource for learning about Japanese grammar without bothering too much with its convoluted writing system?

I'm looking for a book that serves as an introduction to the Japanese language with the assumption that you have a fair bit of linguistic knowledge--that is to say, a book that's not afraid to describe phonology with IPA and to throw in terms like root, stem, suffix, morpheme, allomorph, and to build a discussion, of say, Japanese verb conjugation from such a perspective. Now, I've seen a few contenders for just such a grammar at my university's social sciences library, but many of them fail my second condition, which is that the book includes romaji so that I can read along without having to descend into the morass that Japanese calls an orthography.

Importantly, I have no plans to actually learn to speak or write Japanese. I just find its ways enigmatic and intriguing (and sometimes crazy), and want to learn to learn more about how it works. A search of this thread links to this compendium of resources on WordReference, and a search of that leads to Japanese by Shōichi Iwasaki, which seems just about perfect. Still, the soul must hunger for the fullness of what may be.

Any other suggestions?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I used a book entitled something like "An introduction to Japanese linguistics" for my similarly-titled university module last year. It was only a short course of about 6 weeks (and it didn't really matter if I passed or failed at the end of the day), so I didn't really get into the book very much, but it's still sitting on my shelf. It might not be "meaty" enough for you, though. It's certainly the sort of thing you're after. I think the writing system must have been mentioned, but it used romaji exclusively (it's worth noting that it used the 'kunrei-siki romazi' rather than the more normal hepburn romaji, which got a little confusing for me, especially parsing <zi> as /dʒi/).

It might be worth you learning Hiragana and Katakana, just because if something is transcribed with that it will help you. The tables for these aren't very big. Having an idea of how they fit together with Kanji is useful for background too.

I can get you the proper reference for that book if you're interested, and you could have a look or something. But it's late just now.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I have one book, but it's in Swedish. :wink:
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

finlay wrote:It might be worth you learning Hiragana and Katakana, just because if something is transcribed with that it will help you. The tables for these aren't very big. Having an idea of how they fit together with Kanji is useful for background too.
Sigh. I suppose so. So many projects. Too little time.
finlay wrote:I can get you the proper reference for that book if you're interested ... .
Definitely!
Qwynegold wrote:I have one book, but it's in Swedish. :wink:
Alas, my reading skills are limited to English and French. Ah, well, what can you do?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Tsujimura, Natsuko 1996/2007. An introduction to Japanese linguistics. Malden, MA: Blackwell.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405110651/

(same url works with .com, by the way, in case you're not used to that sort of thing – it's just occurred to me that I normally get linked things at .com and change it to .co.uk by habit, so what's obvious to me might not be obvious to you)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Anyone have anything on the Lakes Plain languages?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Alces
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Alces »

http://www.muturzikin.com/en.html

Some really nice maps of language ranges. They show the languages extending into adjacent countries, which is an improvement over Ethnologue. They also seem to have maps for every country. I don't know how accurate it is, or where its sources are.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Alces wrote:http://www.muturzikin.com/en.html

Some really nice maps of language ranges. They show the languages extending into adjacent countries, which is an improvement over Ethnologue. They also seem to have maps for every country. I don't know how accurate it is, or where its sources are.
ROCK'N'ROLL.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Alces wrote:http://www.muturzikin.com/en.html

It's all right in most parts of continental Europe, but WTF how the heck is Arvanitika the main language around Athens?
Edit: The Balkans themselves are a bit off.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Alces
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Alces »

Well, on the Ethnologue map they show Arvanitika in the same area, but indicate that it's overlapping with Greek with the dashed lines. Presumably the map creator copied that but didn't bother to indicate the overlap.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

They explain some of their sources etc. here: http://www.muturzikin.com/termsofuse.htm

I can't speak to the Canadian side, but their maps of the distribution of Ojibwe within the U.S. are awfully overly-optimistic (e.g., they show all of the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior as Ojibwe-speaking, but no one who lives there speaks Ojibwe, except for a single person on the Red Cliff reservation on the mainland)

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Yeah the reason it's not quite what you'd expect is because it's a Basque guy performing a "solitary, monk-like task".

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Any Tibetan grammars online? I found one but the script was unreadable. Other helpful resources would be nice too.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Theta wrote:Any Tibetan grammars online? I found one but the script was unreadable. Other helpful resources would be nice too.
That's generally it with Tibetan fonts, mind you.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

It was a very old book that had been scanned and then rendered as a pdf.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Theta wrote:It was a very old book that had been scanned and then rendered as a pdf.
Oh, then it's not just with fonts.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Drydic Guy wrote:
SlayerXX33398 wrote:Also, if anyone knows ANY reliable sources for Nahuatl, I would LOVE them forever!
Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.archive.org/details/vocabula ... 00platgoog < extensive dictionary

http://www.multiupload.com/5157QCR9AQ < readable grammar

These are from our resident Nahuatl expert vlad.