The Correspondence Library

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Correspondence Library

Post by CatDoom »

I've never posted here before, but I *love* this thread! Lately I've discovered that there are quite a few very interesting resources available online regarding the indigenous languages from around where I live, so I figured I'd go ahead and contribute! The following is based on Catherine A. Callaghan (1983): "Proto-Utian Derivational Verb Morphology," from Proceedings of the 1982 Conference on Far Western American Indian Languages, Occasional Papers on Linguistics Number 11 and C.A. Callaghan (1988): "Proto-Utian Stems" in In Honor of Mary Haas

Proto-Utian > Proto-Costanoan (Ohlone)

The phonemic inventory of Proto-Utian has been reconstructed as follows:

Consonants: /p, t̪, ʈ, k, kʷ, ʔ/, /m, n/, /s̪, ʃ, ʂ, h/, /l, j, w/, and /t͡ʃ/
Vowels: /i, ɨ, u, e, o, a/, all of which had distinct long and short forms

ʃ > h
i$Ci > e$Ce /_C[!ɾ]
ɨ$Cɨ > e$Ce /_C[!ɾ]
e > i (when the vowel in the following syllable is u)
k > ʂ / _i , i_
k > s̪ /_(ɨ, u), (ɨ, u)_
k > k (in other environments)
l > l /_$
l > l /o_
l > ɾ (in other environments; this change appears to have been arrested at some point, such that l occasionally survives in any position)
t͡ʃ > ʂ /_#
t͡ʃ > t͡ʃ (in other environments)
o > o (when the vowel in the following syllable is o or i or the vowel in preceding syllable is o)
o > a (in other environments)
ɨ > e /CC_#
ɨ > e, i /CC_
ɨ > i (in other environments)

Proto-Costanoan also appears to have gained the palatalized stop /tj/, which does not have any clear correspondences in the Miwok languages, though it may correspond to certain instances of /j/ in the Western Miwok languages.

Proto-Costanoan > Mutsun

ʂ > s̪
ʈ > ʈ, t͡s, t͡ʃ /_j, _ɾ
kʷ > k /#_
kʷ > k, w (in other environments)
l > ɾ /V_V
a > e /il_
o > u (when the vowel in the following syllable is i)

Proto-Costanoan > Rumsen

tj > t͡ʃ
h > h, x, ʔ
ʈ > ʈ, t͡ʃ /a:_, o:_
ʈ > ʈ, t͡ʃ /i$_, e$_, u$_
ʈ > ʈ, t͡ʃ /_j, _ɾ
kʷ > k /#_
kʷ > k, w (in other environments)
l > ɾ /V_V
a > e /il_
i > e /_C(C)oC

Proto-Costanoan > “East Bay” Costanoan

Specifically Chochenyo, which may have been largely identical with the poorly attested Ramaytush and Tamyen languages elsewhere in the Bay Area.

tj > j
ʂ > ʃ
kʷ > k /#_
kʷ > w (in other environments)
l > ɾ /V_V
a > e /il_

Three other Costanoan languages are attested: Chalon or “Soledad” (spoken in at least one recorded village east of Mission Soledad), Awaswas (spoken on the southern side of the Santa Cruz Mountains, and possibly comprising a number of divergent varieties), and Karkin (the eponymous inhabitants of the Carquinez Strait between Suisun Bay and San Pablo Bay).

These, however, are less well attested, and their phonemic inventories can only be speculated on. Nevertheless, Karkin, which is known only from a single vocabulary collected by the missionary Felipe Arroyo de la Cuesta of Mission Dolores, appears to have been strikingly different from Cochenyo (its closest sister language, geographically), and is hypothesized to have been a significantly more conservative daughter of Proto-Costanoan.

Proto-Utian > Proto-Miwok

kʷ > w
ɕ > ʂ
ʈ > t͡ʃ /_e, e_

Proto-Miwok > Proto-Western Miwok

Ancestral to Lake Miwok and the Bodega and Marin varieties of Coast Miwok.

s̪ > ʂ
ʈ > t͡ʃ /a:_, o:_
ɨ > u, i

The sources I’ve been able to locate don’t indicate any sound changes between Proto-Miwok and Proto-Eastern Miwok, the hypothetical ancestor of Saclan (Bay Miwok), Plains Miwok, and the three documented varieties of Sierra Miwok. Nor do they describe the sound changes involved in the divergence of the individual Miwok languages.

However, Wikipedia indicates that Lake Miwok expanded its consonant inventory considerably with sounds probably originating in loanwords from nearby non-Utian languages, adding the aspirated stops /pʰ, t̪ʰ, t̠ʰ, kʰ/, the ejective stops /p’, t̪’, t̠’, k’/, the voiced stops /b, d/, the lateral palatal fricatives /ʎ̝̊, ʎ̝̊’/, the affricates /t͡s, t͡s’/, and the alveolar approximant /ɹ/.

In many cases the sound changes involved in the history of the Costanoan languages have produced more than one "output" phoneme, and the sources I have indicate that it has thusfar proven impossible to systematically predict when and where one shift will happen rather than the other. Likewise, my information about diachronic sound shifts in the Miwok languages is pretty sparse. The order that I've listed the sound changes in is largely arbitrary within each stage of development, since most of them don't interact with one another. In the event that they do, I've done my best to interpret the sequence implied in the sources.

Callaghan has a hefty-looking tome on the Utian family scheduled for publication at the beginning of next year, so new information may be forthcoming.

Edit: I corrected my notation for syllable boundaries to conform to the key on the Knee Quickie and added the correspondences for /tj/ in the Costanoan languages.

Edit Again: Upon further review I'm fairly certain that the characters I was interpreting as IPA /ɕ/ and /t͡ɕ/ are probably meant to represent /ʃ/ and /t͡ʃ/. The chart for Americanist Phonetic Notation on Wikipedia appears to use the term "alveolopalatal" to refer to non-retroflex postalveolar consonants in general, rather than the specific phones designated as alveolo-palatal in the IPA.
Last edited by CatDoom on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

Welcome! These are some really interesting sound changes you have. :)

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Thanks! I'm not sure how unusual the changes are, though some of the rules governing them are a bit odd. Mutsun, Rumsen, and Chochenyo are relatively well documented, though, and Callaghan provided what looked to me like a pretty convincing cognate set.

The only "living" Utian languages are three varieties of Sierra Miwok, none of which have more than a dozen speakers, but most of them had speakers into the first half of the 20th century, when J.P. Harrington and others made a huge effort to make detailed records of as many dying languages as they could.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that the phonemes I've listed as /t̪/ and /ʈ/ are really dental and retroflex in all of the Utian languages. In Mutsun they were, according to Okrand's 1977 grammar, though the alveolar /t/ may have been an allophone of /t̪/, whereas Wikipedia describes Lake Miwok as having a dental stop and a "post-alveolar" stop /t̺/. Alfred Kroeber describes the interior Miwok languages as contrasting dental and alveolar stops, which are well documented in the geographically nearby but genetically unrelated Wappo language.

What's clear is that all of the Utian languages have two contrastive stops at places or articulation between the bilabial /p/ and the velar /k/, though the exact character of these front and back "t's" may vary somewhat. This seems to be a pretty common areal feature of languages in central California; In addition to Wappo, Salinian and Kashaya Pomo (both part of the still-hypothetical "Hokan" language family) also contrast dental and alveolar "t's."

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I have an unfinished text file floating somewhere around in my Documents folder with changes from PIE to Sanskrit. In the meantime, please enjoy this short, incomplete, and scattered list of changes from Latin to Sardinian. This is far from exhaustive and often mixes dialects, but there isn't a whole lot in not in Italian, which I can't read.

Latin to Sardinian

-Rather than the usual VL shuffling of vowels leading to a seven-vowel system elsewhere, Sardinian has a five-vowel system, in which CL's vowel system simply lost length distinctions, so CL siccus "dry" to Sardinian siku. From browsing an online Sardinian dictionary of minor sketchiness, most of the other CL -> VL changes seem to have applied, such as w -> β, ae -> e, loss of final m, loss of initial h, etc.

-k and g retain their values before front vowels. This isn't a change, per se, but Sardinian appears to be the only Romance language that failed to palatalize its velars.

[ll ld] -> ɖɖ/V_V
nd -> ɳɖ/V_V
l -> r /C_
Ø -> V/#_r. Vowel prothesis before an initial r in Campidenese, but I can determine no rule for when the vowel was what.
Ø -> i/#_sC (Logudorese)
b d g -> Ø/V_V (except in Nuorese)
p t k -> β ð ɣ/V_V (except in Nuorese) [These last three changes- initial vowel prothesis and plosive lenition- occured during Spanish dominance of Sardinia. Sometimes, in a move reminiscent of Celtic initial mutations, these lenitions occur across word boundaries (!)]
v-> b /#_
lj -> ts, dz (varies)
kʷ gʷ -> p b
i -> z/#_V

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

I just read a really interesting article on the Rumsen language by Catherine Callaghan that sheds some light on the peculiarities of that language within the Costanoan subfamily in general. Specifically, Rumsen allows word-final consonant clusters, geminate consonants, and sequences of long vowels and consonants that are prohibited under the phonotactics of its closest sisters. The development of these aberrant clusters seems to have gone something like this:

Proto-Costanoan stems have been reconstructed in five basic configurations

Monosyllabic: C1V1(ː)(C2)

"Light": C1V1C2V2(ː)(C3V3)

Cluster: C1V1C2C3V2(C4)

Geminate: C1V1C2ːV2(C3)

Long: C1V1ːC2V2(C3)

Diachronic sound changes in Rumsen modified each of these stem forms as follows:

*V2ː > V2 in trisyllabic "light" stems
*V3 > Ø /_# in trisyllabic stems
*Cluster stems of the form C1V1C2C3V2 > C1V1C2V2C3 when
C2C3 violates the constraints on word-final consonant clusters (see below)
*C2 > C2ː in "light" stems

Following these historic changes, Rumsen seems to have developed a set of synchronic rules governing the behavior of vowels in word-final syllables:

*V > Ø /_# in disyllabic stems
*C1VC2ːVC3 > C1VC2ːC3 /_#
*C1VC2C3VC4 > C1VC2C3C4 /_#
*C1VːC2VC3 > C1VːC2C3 /_# in nouns but usually not in verbs
*V > Ø /_C# in trisyllabic stems

Note, however, that word final clusters are subject to a number of phonotactic constraints, and the above rules will not operate when they would create a disallowed cluster:

*Final clusters may not end in a sonorant
*rː may not end a word or be the first member of a cluster
*Clusters of the form C1ːC1 (i.e. consisting of a geminate + an identical short consonant) are not permitted
*Clusters may not consist of a geminate stop + t͡ʃ or another stop, though in a few cases the final vowel elides anyway and the resulting cluster is reduced

There appear to be additional constraints that have not yet been deduced from the data; for instance, it is unknown why the words pinːa, "that's," piːna, "there, that," and katːa, "like," have not undergone loss of the final syllable.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Some Khoe diachronics, sourced from Vossen, Rainer (1984), "Studying the linguistic and ethno-history of the Khoe-speaking (central Khoisan) peoples of Botswana, research in progress". In Botswana Notes and Records 16:19 – 35. This probably isn't every change and I think this grouping might be controversial, but here's some of Vossen's findings.

Also I nominate the term "crepandogenesis" (from crepandus, gerund of Latin crepare as per Wiktionary, which is the closest word to "click" I can seem to find) as the official word for "click genesis".

Proto-Khoe to ǁ̬Ana
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃n
ǃ → ǃ~k
ǃx → x
ǃ̬ → g
ǃ̃(n) → ŋ
t͜s → t͜s~t͜sʰ,t͜s,s
h → j / _E

Proto-Khoe to ǁAni
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃n
ǃ → ǃ~k
ǃ̬ → ǃ̬~g
ǃ̃ → ǃ̃(n)~ŋg
ǃx → ǃx~x
t͜s → t͜s,s
h → j~ʔ / _E
h → h~ʔ

Proto-Khoe to Buga
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃
ǃ → k
ǃˀ → Ø
ǃx → x
ǃ̬ → g
ǃ̃ → ŋg
ǃ̃n → ŋgj~ǃ̃
t͜s → t͜s~t͜sʰ,t͜s,s
h → j

Proto-Khoe to Kxoe
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃
ǃ → k
ǃˀ → Ø
ǃx → x
ǃ̬ → g
ǃ̃ → ŋg
ǃ̃n → ŋgj~ǃ̃
t͜s → ç,tç
d͜z → d͜ʒ
kʰ → k͜x
h → j

Proto-Khoe to Nama
k → g
{ǀˀ,ǀxʼ} → ǀ
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃,ǂ
ǃ → ǃg
ǃˀ → ǃ
ǃ̃n → ǃ̃
ǂ → ǂg
{ǂ̃n,ǂˀ,ǂxʼ} → ǂ
{ǁˀ,ǁxʼ} → ǁ
t͜s → t͜s,s
d͜z → d
k͜xʼ → Ø

Proto-Khoe to Naro
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃
t͜s → t͜s~t͜sʰ,t͜s,s
kʰ → k͜x,k
d͜z → d͜z~t͜s

Proto-Khoe to ǃOra
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃
ǃ̬ → ǃ
ǃ̃n → ǃ̃
ǂ̃n → ǂ
ǁˀ → ǁˀ,ǁ
t͜s → t͜s,s

Proto-Khoe to Teti
ǀ̃(n) → j
ǃ → k
ǃˀ → Ø
ǃx → x
ǃ̬ → g
ǃ̃(n) → ŋ
ǂ → c
ǂ̃n → ɲ
ǂˀ → ʔj
ǁˀ → ǁˀ,Ø
ǁxʼ → ǁˀ
t͜s → t͜s~t͜sʰ,t͜s,s
d͜z → z
k͜xʼ → kʼ
h → j~ʔj / _E
h → h~ʔj

Proto-Khoe to Tsʔixa
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃
ǀxʼ → ǀˀ
ǃ → k
ǃˀ → Ø
ǃx → x
ǃ̬ → g
ǃ̃(n) → ŋg
ǂ̃n → ɲ
ǂxʼ → ǂˀ
ǁxʼ → ǁˀ
t͜s → t͜s~t͜sʰ,t͜s,s
d͜z → z
k͜xʼ → kʼ
h → j~ʔj / _E
h → h~j

Proto-Khoe to ǀ̬Ui
ǀ̃(n) → ǂ̃n
ǃ̃ → ǃ̃(n)
ǃx → ǃx~x
t͜s → t͜s~t͜sɦ,s
h → j / _E
h → ɦ
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

8O

yeah it's going to take me 'till MLK jr Day to work through that.

Mad props.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

California Vowel Shift

(From Wikipedia contributors (2013), "California English". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =584388388; and Eckert, Penelope, "Vowel Shifts in Northern California and the Detroit Suburbs". http://www.stanford.edu/~eckert/vowels.html)

æ ɪ > e i / _ŋ
/ɪ/ otherwise has a highly variable pronunciation
æ > {eə,ɪə} / _N
{æ,e} > ɛ / _ɹ
æ > a
ʊ ʌ ɛ > ʌ ɛ æ
ɑ > ɔ (does not occur in Sacramento)
u > {iʊ,ʉ,ɯ}
oʊ > eʊ ("common only within certain social groups")
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Abkhaz consonant correspondences:

edit:
ʒ = dz, º = rounding, dunno what acute is. source = http://apsnyteka.org/file/Chirikba_Abkhaz.pdf
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Nortaneous wrote:dunno what acute is.
I'm going to guess alveolopalatal. Similarly, I'm going to guess that x is /χ/.

EDIT: Though I guess the protoforms with the caron might actually be dentals, based on their reflexes?
DOUBLE EDIT: I was referring to the rounded proto-affricates. The others seem to be pretty normal. Hmm…
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Here it is in IPA:

Code: Select all

Comm  AbzP  AbzT  Bzyp  Ahch  Khal  Tswy  Ashk  Tapa
dʑ    dz    dz    dʑ    dz    dz    dz    dz    dz
tɕ    ts    ts    tɕ    ts    ts    ts    ts    ts 
tɕʼ   tsʼ   tsʼ   tɕʼ   tsʼ   tsʼ   tsʼ   tsʼ   tsʼ
dʑʷ   dʑʷ   dʑʷ   dʑʷ   dʑʷ   dʑʷ   dʑʷ   dʑʷ   dʑ(ʷ)/dʒʷ
tɕʷ   tɕʷ   tɕʷ   tɕʷ   tɕʷ   tɕʷ   tɕʷ   tɕʷ   tɕ(ʷ)/tʃʷ
tɕʷʼ  tɕʷʼ  tɕʷʼ  tɕʷʼ  tɕʷʼ  tɕʷʼ  tɕʷʼ  tɕʷʼ  tɕ(ʷ)ʼ/tʃʷʼ
dʒʷ   v     v     v     v     v     v     v     dz
tʃʷ   f     f     f     f     f     f     f     ts
tʃʷʼ  fʼ    pʼ    pʼ    pʼ    fʼ    fʼ    fʼ    tsʼ
ʑ     z     z     ʑ     z     z     z     z     z
ɕ     s     s     ɕ     s     s     s     s     s
ʑʷ    ʒʷ    ʑʷ    ʑʷ    ʑʷ    ʒʷ/ʑʷ ʑʷ    ʑʷ    ʑ(ʷ)/ʒʷ
ɕʷ    ʃʷ    ɕʷ    ɕʷ    ɕʷ    ʃʷ/ɕʷ ɕʷ    ɕʷ    ɕ(ʷ)/ʃʷ
ʒʷ    ʒʷ    ʒʷ    ʒʷ    ʒʷ    ʒʷ    ʒʷ    ʒʷ    ʑ(ʷ)/ʒ(ʷ)
ʃʷ    ʃʷ    ʃʷ    ʃʷ    ʃʷ    ʃʷ    ʃʷ    ʃʷ    ɕ(ʷ)/ʃ(ʷ)
ʕ     aː    aː    aː    aː    aː    aː    ʕ/aː  ʕ 
ʕʷ    ɥ     ɥ     ɥ     ɥ     ɥ     ɥ     ʕʷ    ʕʷ
dʷ    dʷ    dʷ    dʷ    dʷ    dʷ    dʷ    dʷ/b  dʑ(ʷ)/dʒ(ʷ)
tʷ    tʷ    tʷ    tʷ    tʷ    tʷ    tʷ    tʷ/p  tɕ(ʷ)/tʃ(ʷ)
tʷʼ   tʷʼ   tʷʼ   tʷʼ   tʷʼ   tʷʼ   tʷʼ   tʷʼ/pʼtɕ(ʷ)ʼ/tʃ(ʷ)ʼ
q     χ     χˤ    χˤ    χˤ    χ     χˤ    q     q
qʷ    χʷ    χˤʷ   χˤʷ   χˤʷ   χʷ    χʷ    qʷ    qʷ
Acutes are 'dento-alveolar' and transcribed with the curly letters in the grammar's IPA transcriptions. Carons are described as alveolar and written as postalveolar in its IPA. Barred ɦ is the voiced equivalent of h, which it says is pharyngeal, and the sound changes responsible for its disappearance are more complicated than the chart says -- V́ʕ :> áa, ʕV́ :> aá, and ʕV :> aa, the unstressed long low vowel, which it writes as ā. I'm guessing the use of ā in the Ashkharywa form means that the stress patterns there are neutralized.

There's some other stuff going on there -- there are *four* different types of labialization in Abkhaz, and the distinctions are relevant to some of those sound changes -- but I'm not going to describe that and it's on page 11 of the PDF / page 19 on the book.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Well, I'm really excited. I finally found Lakes Plain correspondences. The data below is from Clouse, Duane (1993), "Languages of the Western Lakes Plains". IRIAN: Bulletin of Irian Jaya XXI:1 – 17

Proto-Lakes Plain is reconstructed as having had *p *b *t *d *k (*ɾ) for the consonants (*ɾ is of uncertain reconstruction and is likely an allophone of *d). As for the vowels, *a *e *i *o *u are reconstructed. V^ indicates an "extra-high" or "fricativized" vowel.

Proto-Lakes Plain to Proto-Far West

ɾ > Ø
ku > Ø / #_
d > ɾ / V_V
Ø > V / C_CV (echo vowel)
CV > Ø / _# (CV_#?) (doesn't seem to have always happened?)
e o > ɛ ɔ ?

Proto-Far West to Awera

k > ɣ / V_V
b > β~m / #_V[-hi]
b d g > β~w ɾ~Ø ɣ / V_V
ti > s / #_V
t d > t~ɾ~n n / #_
iiɛ Vdiɛ > ijɛ βe

Proto-Far West to Saponi

p d > p~f n / #_
ti > s / #_V
b > β~m / #_V[+lo]
p b d k > p~f w ɾ g~ɣ / V_V
iiɛ Vdiɛ > dzɛ ɾɛ

Proto-Far West to Rasawa

p b d k > ɸ β ɾ x~k / V_V
ti > s / #_V
b > β~m / #_V[+lo]
iiɛ Vdiɛ > ijɛ βie

Proto-Lakes Plain to Proto-Tariku

p d > ɸ ɾ / V_V

Proto-Tariku to Proto-Central Tariku

Ø > V / C_CV (echo vowel)
ku > b
p k > ɸ Ø~k
ti > s~ti / _V
d > ɾ~d / V_V
iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}
a > e (?)
e o > ɛ ɔ

Proto-Central Tariku to Edopi

C > Ø / _#
ɸ > h
b k > m~b Ø / #_
d > d~n~l / #_a
d > dz / _i
s > s~t
Ø > dz / _i^
ɛ > e

Proto-Central Tariku to Iau

CV > Ø / _#
ɸ > ɸ~h
b k > m~b Ø / #_
d > d~l~n / #_a
ɾ > Ø / V_V
Some vowel coalescence takes place following the above; the author notes that the vowels often take on tonal characteristics of the absorbed vowel
au > ɔ

Proto-Tariku to Proto-East Tariku

ti > s~ti / _V
ɾ > ɾ~Ø / V_V
a > e (?)
e > ɛ

Proto-East Tariku to Biritai

p > h~ɸ
C > Ø / _#
V > Ø / di_
Ø > dz / i^_V
ku > b
k > Ø / _V^
iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}

Proto-East Tariku to Doutai

p > p~ɸ
C > Ø / _#
di > dz / _V
V > dz / i^_
ɾ > Ø / ! C_
iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}

Proto-East Tariku to Eritai

p > p~h
b C > Ø d / _#
diV > dz
Ø > dz / i^_V
iC > iC~i / _{C,#}

Proto-East Tariku to Kai

p > ɸ
C > Ø / _#
V > Ø / di_
Ø > dz / i^_V
iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}

Proto-East Tariku to Obokuitai

p > ɸ~h
b C > b̚ g̚ / _#
V > Ø / di_
Ø > dz / i^_V

Proto-East Tariku to Sikaritai

p > p~h
b C > b~Ø {d,g} / _#
diV > dz
Ø > dz / i^_V
ik > g / {s,k,p}_ ?

Proto-East Tariku to Waritai

p d > p~ɸs d~t
V > Ø / di_
C > Ø / _#
Ø > dz / i^_V
ɾ > Ø / ! C_
k > Ø / _V^
iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}
ik > g / {s,p}_ ?

Proto-Tariku to Proto-West Tariku

p > ɸ
r > ɾ~Ø / V_V
k > k~Ø
iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}

Proto-West Tariku to Deirate

p > ɸ~h
b d k > b~β ɾ~l~Ø k~x~g~ɣ / V_V
b > m / #_a
b > b~ᵐb
ti di > s dz / _V

Proto-West Tariku to Faia

p > ɸ~h
b d k > b~β ɾ~Ø k~x~g~ɣ / V_V
b d > m n / #_a
ti > s / _V

Proto-West Tariku to Fayu

p > ɸ~h
b d > m n / #_a
b d > b~ᵐb d~ⁿd
ti di > s dz / _V

Proto-West Tariku to Kirikiri

p > ɸ~h
b d > m n / #_a
b d > b~ᵐb d~ⁿd / #_
ti > s / _V

Proto-West Tariku to Sehudate

p > ɸ~h
b d > m n / #_a
b > b~ᵐb
ti di > s dz / _V

Proto-West Tariku to Tause

p > ɸ~h
b > m / #_a
b d > b~ᵐb d~ⁿd
ti di > s j / _V

Proto-West Tariku to Weirate

p > ɸ~h
b > m / #_a
ti di > s dz / _V
Last edited by Pogostick Man on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Pogostick Man wrote:Proto-East Tariku to Biritai

p > h~ɸ
C > Ø / _#
V > Ø / di_
Ø > dz / i^_V
ku > b
k > Ø / _V^
iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}
Where did these extra-high vowels come from?

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Wiki has the sources I think, didn't have time to see if google books has them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakes_Plai ... #Phonology
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Pogostick Man wrote:Proto-Lakes Plain to Proto-Tariku
Proto-Tariku to Proto-Central Tariku
Proto-West Tariku to Edopi
Proto-West Tariku to Iau
Proto-Tariku to Proto-West Tariku
Proto-West Tariku to Deirate
Might want to double-check these headings.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Nortaneous wrote:Where did these extra-high vowels come from?
From the loss of syllable final consonants. The original source appears to be this:
Proto-Tariku to Proto-Central Tariku:

iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}
(OT: You can't be serious with the current formatting of your user name.)

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

KathAveara wrote:Might want to double-check these headings.
Thanks. Fixed it. (I was copy-and-pasting and forgot to change the names.)
gach wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:Where did these extra-high vowels come from?
From the loss of syllable final consonants. The original source appears to be this:
Proto-Tariku to Proto-Central Tariku:

iC uC > i^ u^ / _{C,#}
Yes, I believe that's where they came from. I think I put the sound changes in out of order without realizing it.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

The following is from Kenneth W. Whistler and Victor Golla: "Proto-Yokuts Reconsidered," in International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 52, No. 4 (Oct., 1986). The Yokuts languages are indigenous to the San Joaquin Valley, roughly the southern half of California's Central Valley, historically a region of arid to semiarid plains surrounding a central corridor of riparian woodlands and wetlands. Prior to the diversion of the local rivers for irrigation it was also home to Tulare Lake, the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi by surface area.

Yokuts is probably best described as a dialect continuum, with many of the differences between varieties being the result of lexical and grammatical innovation rather than regular sound change. A general breakdown of the relationships between the attested varieties is as follows; names of individual varieties are preceded with an asterisk:

Code: Select all

Yokuts
	*Palewyami
	General Yokuts
		Buena Vista
			*Tulamni
			*Hometwoli
		Nim-Yokuts
			Tule-Kaweah
				*Wikchamni
				*Yawdanchi
			Northern Yokuts
				*Gashowu
				Kings River
					*Chukaymina
					*Michahay
					*Ayticha
					*Choynimni
				Valley Yokuts
					Far Northern Valley (poorly attested)
					Northern Valley
						*Nopṭinṭe
						*Merced (poorly attested)
						*Chawchila
						Northern Hill
							*Chukchansi
							San Joaquin
								*Kechayi
								*Dumna
					Southern Valley
						*Wechihit
						*Tachi/Nutunutu
						*Chunut
						*Choynok/Wo’lasi
						*Yawelmani/Koyeti
Proto Yokuts Phonemic Inventory

All symbols have been converted to standard IPA, with the exception of the dental series, which use the symbols for alveolar consonants because I'm lazy. Segments in parentheses cannot be unambiguously reconstructed as independent phonemes, but were included by the original authors on the basis of symmetry.

Consonants

Plain Nasals /m n ŋ/
Glottalized Nasals /m’ n’ (ŋ')/
Plain Stops /p t (ʈ) k ʔ/
Aspirated Stops /pʰ tʰ ʈʰ kʰ/
Ejective Stops /p’ t’ ʈ’ k’/
Affricates /(ts) tsʰ ts’/
Fricatives /s ʂ x h/
Central Approximants /w w’ j j’/
Lateral Approximants /l l’/

Vowels

Close /i ɨ u/
Mid /o/
Open /a/
All vowels had phonemic long and short forms

Morphophonology

Diminutives were formed by shifting all dental stops in a noun to affricates (t tʰ t' > ts tsʰ ts’). These forms subsequently became lexicalized in all attested varieties of Yokuts.

Plain stops and affricates became aspirated in coda position before another consonant and word-finally.

A plain sonorant followed by a glottal stop (e.g. as a result of suffixation) became a glottalized sonorant.

An epenthetic glottal stop was inserted between vowels brought into hiatus (e.g. as a result of suffixation).

The second vowel in stems of the form CVCVC seems to have been epenthetic, with the underlying stem structure being CVCC. The quality of these vowels is predictable in most varieties of Yokuts.

Several dialects seem to have independently developed the regular change tʰ ʈʰ > tsʰ /_#, and it has been hypothesized that this change may have already been underway around the time of the breakup of proto-Yokuts.

Proto-Yokuts :> Palewyami

s > ʃ /_i
t tʰ t' > ts tsʰ ts’ /#_ (in some words; conditioning factors unclear)
ts tsʰ ts’ > tʃ tʃʰ tʃ’ /_i
ɨ ɨː > i iː
u a > e /ˈ_CVC#
i > e /ˈ_CVC# ! _{ʔ, h}
(note that long vowels are unaffected by the above vowel shifts)

V > e /CˈVC_
V > i /CˈiC_
V > u /CˈuC_
V > o /CˈoC_

Proto-Yokuts :> General Yokuts

iː ɨː uː > eː əː oː (this process was blocked in certain grammatical contexts)
eː əː > e ə / ablaut in certain grammatical contexts
o > u /_Ci (this remained a productive synchronic process)

General Yokuts > Buena Vista Yokuts

t tʰ t' > ts tsʰ ts’ /#_ (in some words; conditioning factors unclear)
V[+high] > a /V[+high]C_(C)#
tʰ > s /#_u

Buena Vista Yokuts > Hometwoli

V(ː) > V(ː)h / in some stressed syllables, particularly before consonants

Buena Vista Yokuts > Tulamni

ɨ ɨː > i iː
əː əː > e eː
Vʔ > Vː / in stressed syllables

General Yokuts > Proto-Nim-Yokuts

s > ʃ
ts tsʰ ts’ > tʃ tʃʰ tʃ’

Proto-Nim-Yokuts > Proto-Tule-Kaweah

t tʰ t' > tʃ tʃʰ tʃ’ /#_ (in some words; conditioning factors unclear)
l > t (possibly an innovation of Yawdanchi that later spread to Wikchamni; Wikchamni sporadically retains l)

Proto-Tule-Kaweah > Wikchamni

ʂ > s (sometimes remains allophonically in word-initial position before back vowels, but not consistently)

Proto-Tule-Kaweah > Yawdanchi

ʃ may have merged with ʂ in some positions, probably similar to those conditioning the appearance of ʂ in Wikchamni

Proto-Nim-Yokuts > Proto-Northern Yokuts

ɨ ɨː > i iː
əː əː > e eː
ŋ > n

Proto-Northern Yokuts > Gashowu

p t ʈ k > b d ɖ g

Proto-Northern Yokuts > Kings River Yokuts

i > u /uC_ (remained a productive synchronic process)

Proto-Northern Yokuts > Valley Yokuts

o-raising rule (o > u /_Ci) ceases to be productive

Valley Yokuts > Chukchansi

Different authors record different sibilants; it appears that the Proto-Nim-Yokuts sibilants may have merged into a single phoneme that idiosyncratically alternates between s, ʃ and ʂ

ʈ ʈʰ ʈ’ > tʃ tʃʰ tʃ’ (the other Northern Hill varieties also show this change)
tʃ tʃʰ tʃ’ > ts tsʰ ts’ (probably areal influence from Southern Valley Yokuts)

Valley Yokuts > Yawelmani

ʃ > s (possibly under areal influence from Buena Vista Yokuts languages)
(The above shift seems to have been spreading among the Southern Valley languages at the time of contact; only Tachi retains ʃ)

tʃ tʃʰ tʃ’ > ts tsʰ ts’ / not in lexicalized diminutives
tʃ tʃʰ tʃ’ > ʈʂ ʈʂʰ ʈʂ’ / in lexicalized diminutives (some alveolar affricates subsequently became retroflex by analogy)

Valley Yokuts > Tachi

ʈ ʈʰ ʈ’ > ʈʂ ʈʂʰ ʈʂ’ (ʈ’ remains unchanged in careful speech)

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Version 3.1 of the Index Diachronica is out. Now with information on Northwest Caucasian!
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Pogostick Man wrote:Version 3.1 of the Index Diachronica is out. Now with information on Northwest Caucasian!
This is so beautiful. Thank you for the resource. I will pour over it like mad.

I'm terrible at diachronic sound changes, so this will be a big help for me.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

All information in this post is sourced from Chen, Chun-Mei (2006), A Comparative Study on Formosan Phonology: Paiwan and Budai Rukai 313 – 320.

Proto-Austronesian to Proto-Paiwan

t₁ d₁ d₃ Z → t d ɖ ɟ
l L → ɭ ʎ
b d₂ → {v,b} z
S₁ s C → s t ts
Vowel length lost

Proto-Paiwan to Northern Paiwan

c ɟ q ɭ → t d ʔ l
Something about final stress and preceding schwas

Proto-Paiwan to Central Paiwan

w → v / _#

Proto-Paiwan to Southern Paiwan

k r → ʔ ɣ

Proto-Austronesian to Proto-Rukai

{t₁,c} {d₁,z} d₃ → t d ɖ
R l L → {r,ʔ} ɭ l
S₁ s d₂ C → s θ ð ts
Something about echo vowel insertion and stress that isn't really clear from skimming it

Proto-Rukai to Budai Rukai

{v,ʔ} ð → Ø j
Long vowels acquire a high-low contour, but it looks like this is more prosodic than anything
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

West Germanic to Anglo-Frisian
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Anglo-Frisian languages". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602286013; Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Old Frisian". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =559739599; and Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Old English phonology". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602537992

a → ɑ̃ / _N (short only)
VN → Ṽː / _F
a → æː / short only, even in diphthongs
k g → tʃ j
æː → aː "under to [sic] the influence of neighboring consonants", though that influence is not explained
æː → eː
æu → au (æ → a / _B in general?)
aː → æː / ! _N and ! nasalized
i o → e a / when unstressed
ai au eu → {eː,aː} aː ia
ia iu → jaː juː
a → æ / ! _N and ! nasalized
h → Ø / V_V
θ resists change to d until the 14th Century

Early Northern Middle English to Scots
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Phonological history of Scots". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =582962563; and Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Scottish Vowel Length Rule". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =589349104

b → Ø / m_l
t → Ø / {p,k}_# ("except in some inflected forms" for *kt)
d → Ø / n_
d → Ø / l_#
s → ʃ / _E (and E_?)
f → Ø "in certain contexts"
/k g/ remain unpalatalized following front vowels
{θ,x} → Ø / _# (seems to be sporadic)
ʍ → xw (some speakers have resisted this)
og → ʌu
ul became some sort of diphthong or vowel—uː? uw? ʌu? The article isn't very clear here
ol al → ou ɑː → ʌu {ɑ,ɔ}

Vowel shift:
ai → ɛi → əi / stem-final
uː → ʌu / stem-final (in nothern varieties)
øː → wi / {k,g}_ (in Mid Northern dialects)
øː → i (in nothern dialects)
øː → (j){u,ʌ} / _{k,x} (depending on dialect)
a → i / _n (in northern varieties)
a → e / _n (otherwise)
a → {ɛ,e} / _rC
ai oi ui ei au ou iu ɛ(o)u → eː oe əi iː {ɑː,ɔː} ʌu ju j(ʌ)u
ɛː → ɛi (→ əi?) / in some northern varieties
iː eː ɛː aː oː uː {øː,yː} → əi i {i,e} e o u ø
æ → ɛ / _C[+alveolar]
a ɔ u → {a,ɑ} ɔ ʌ

Application of the Scottish vowel-length rule:
V → Vː / _{r,F[+voiced],$,#}
əi → aɪ / _{r,F[+voiced],$,#} (pursuant to the above)

West Germanic to Old Low Franconian
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Old Dutch". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =588537679; and Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Germanic umlaut". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602634218

eː oː → ie uo
ai au → eː oː
h → Ø / #_C
jan → en / CC_#
j → Ø / CC_
h → Ø / V_V
xs → sː
Final-obstruent devoicing occurs around the turn of the eighth century at the latest
a → ɒ / _l̴ (?)
In unstressed syllables, some vowel reduction seems to have been going on
ai u → ei ʏ / _(C…){i(ː),j} (short only; this was not yet phonemic, at least in the case of [ʏ])
a → ɛ / _(C…){i(ː),j} (? based on the Germanic umlaut article)
uː → ʉw / _V (probably, in most areas)
uː → ʊw / _V (probably, in areas that did not undergo the above change, such as Limburg)
uː → ʉː (probably, in areas with uː → ʉw / _V)
ei ou → eː oː (except in southeastern dialects; *ei as a result of umlaut of *ai was not affected)

Old Low Franconian to Middle Dutch
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Middle Dutch". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602536434; and Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Hieronymous Bosch". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =601403790

uː → yː
iu → ju / #_ (in some northern dialects)
iu → {yː,io} (outcome varies depending upon dialect, the former seems more typical)
iw → yw (dialectal)
{ie,ia,io} uo → iə uə
Umlaut phonemicizes, but only for the non-diphthongal short vowels (except in extreme eastern dialects); [ʏ] is phonemicized
f θ s → v ð z / syllable-initial (h → ɦ?)
V → ə / when short and unstressed
f → {x,ç} / _t (the former seems to have occurred in northern dialects, the latter in southern ones)
θ ð → t d
{uː,uw} u → ɔw o (except in the southeast)
{ol,al} {ar,er} or → ɔu aːr oːr / _C[+dental]
V[-long +stressed] → Vː / in open syllables; ʏ → {œː,øː} in these conditions but this is not phonemically important. There seems to have been some qualitative differences between originally-long vowels and vowels lengthened in open syllables; resulting iː, but not original iː, seems to have become eː, and aː resulting from this merges with original aː. Original long vowels and vowels in diphthongs were unaffected by this change.

Middle Dutch to Modern Dutch (probably highly incomplete but the article didn't seem to say very much)
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Dutch Phonology". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602553868; and Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Hard and soft G in Dutch". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =594028971

l → u / o_{t,d}#
f-to-{x,ç} change often reverted by analogy
iː yː → ɛi œy
uː → ʌu (? conjectured based on the above diphthongization and the developments in Polder Dutch below)

Hard-vs.-soft-G phenomena:
ɣ x → {ɣ,x,χ} {x,χ} / in northern dialects
ɣ x → ʝ ç / in southern dialects (the article proper calls these "front velar" and uses velar symbols but based on the description and other articles I'm using palatal symbols here)

Modern Dutch to Polder Dutch Vowel Shift
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Dutch Phonology". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602553868

ɛi œy ʌu → ai ay au
eː øː oː → ɛi œy ɔu

Non-Polder Dutch Monophthongization
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Dutch Phonology". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602553868

ɛi œy ɔu → ɛː œː ɔː

High German Umlaut
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Germanic umlaut". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602634218

a u o → e y ø / _(C…){i(ː),j}

West Germanic to Old Low German
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Old Saxon phonology". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =598609310; Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Old Saxon". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =598557577; and Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Germanic umlaut". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602634218

ai au → eː oː
β → v
vː ɣː hː → bː gː xː (perhaps not strictly a sound change, but worth noting)
f θ s → v ð z / when syllable-initial
b d v → p t f
v → f / _C ! _d
b d → p t / _C[-voice]
k → ts / _E (g → dz here?)
n → ŋ / _{k,g}
g → k / ŋ_#
g → ʝ / _E (singleton only)
g → ɣ / _V (singleton only)
g → x / _#
F[-voice] → F[+voice] / X[+voiced]_X[+voiced]?
Umlaut applies; orthographically, only a → e / _(C…){i(ː),j} is often marked (and even then haphazardly), but based upon the reflexes in daughter languages it seems like it had to have applied across the board
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Decent work; you can find appropriate stuff on wikipedia if you dig deep enough.

I would argue that "ʍ → xw (some speakers have resisted this)" is actually in reverse though. xw is closer to the Proto-Germanic. It would thus be more reasonable to assume that Old English kept it as /xw/ until after Scots split off.

You can perhaps find more by going on the DSL website, specifically the History of Scots to 1700 section (under Phonology logically).

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Pogostick Man wrote:West Germanic to Anglo-Frisian
From Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Anglo-Frisian languages". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602286013; Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Old Frisian". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =559739599; and Wikipedia contributors (2014), "Old English phonology". Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =602537992

[…]
k g → tʃ j
[…]
Under what circumstances?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.