Slovene Lessons - Ucne ure slovenscine

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

Don't worry I haven't forgotten :mrgreen:
v hiši bila pes(a?)
danes je dež
zdaj je sonce
predvčerajšnjim pri trgovini, (ona) je kupila enajst svinčnikov
restavracija na velikom(?) trgu je prazen

tri okna, treh oken(?), trem oknom, tri okna, treh oknih
sedemnajst vrat, sedemnajstih vrat, sedemnajstim vratom, sedemnajst vrat, sedemnajstih vratih

I have a feeling I haven't done so well on these. Then again, I have been without sleep for 30-odd hours.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Just a couple of things:

- Don't forget the copula for the past tense: v hiši je bil pes. pes is masculine, not feminine.
- The one with the store is perfectly OK regarding the information given, but you really couldn't say anything like this in Slovene. First point: one must always say v trgovini (I'll correct the lesson wording to 'in the store', although it sounds a little bit stupid in English); second point: word order is switched around a bit (the lesson after the next one will deal with it in more detail). In short, I'd say:
Predvčerajšnjim je v trgovini kupila enajst svinčnikov.
- It's velikem, not *velikom.

Otherwise, it's perfect. And lack of sleep is bad for you... :)

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

Hvala, I understand where I went wrong :mrgreen:

mike c
Niš
Niš

Post by mike c »

My try at lesson 5 tasks....

Tasks:

1. Translate:

There was a dog in the house. Bil je pes v hiši

It is raining (‘there is rain’) today. Danes je dež

It is sunny (‘there is sun’) now. Zdaj je sonce

She bought eleven pencils at the store the day before yesterday. Predvčérajšnjim kupila je enajst svinčnikov

The restaurant on the big square is empty. Restavračija na velikem trgu je prazna

2. Decline, in the five cases you are currently familiar with:

three windows

S tri okna
T tri okna
R treh oken
M pri treh oknih
D trem oknom

seventeen doors

sedemnajst vrat
sedemnajst vrat
sedemnajstih vrat
pri sedemnajstih vratih
sedemnajstim vratim

Cathbad, what would be the locative plural from nouns like pes, sen, and similar that lose the e; pri sneh, pri snih? I'm suspecting the first as the language doesn't seen to like a stressed ih ending, never seen anything like that written down though. And the dative dual / plural endings would have the same vowel I suppose.

Mike C

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Mostly correct, apart from a couple of mistakes with word order, I think. Nothing critical. :D

The Locative and Dative dual/plural of pes is, quite regularly, psih... What makes you think the -ih stressed ending shouldn't be common?

(BTW, sen doesn't really make much sense in the plural, actually; one should probably use sanje or something similar.)

P.S.: I promise that the next lesson will appear next weekend... I just haven't had time in the last couple of days, what with Easter and all.

mike c
Niš
Niš

Post by mike c »

Cathbad wrote: The Locative and Dative dual/plural of pes is, quite regularly, psih... What makes you think the -ih stressed ending shouldn't be common?
Analogy with tleh, laseh, dneh, teh, vseh, dveh, stvareh....
- it's always seemed to me that you get -eh there only if that's the stressed syllable, looks like it's not a case of if and only if though.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Hmmm... interesting. I haven't actually noticed this until now, so thank you for pointing it out. It's an irregularity, although I'm not actually sure what conditions it... I'll try to take a look, but I don't promise anything for certain.

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

*Bump*

Any chance of a lesson 6, or am I pushing it? :wink:

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

I have it half-written already. If I find any time on Thursday, I'll finish it and post it up.

(The schoolyear's ending, so it's pretty hectic - not exam-wise, but our timetable's really messed up. And I still have two essays to write... and two IA's... :| )

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

Don't worry about it :P Take as much time as you need :)