Hebrew Lessons / Shi`urey Ha`ivrit

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Tuli wrote:לקרוא את העברית הייה מעניין! י
זה טוב! י :)
Tuli wrote:I think it’d be a bit easier to practice reading the Hebrew if you put the transliteration after the vocabulary.
Alright, I'll do that in the next lesson. I wasn't sure if it would be too confusing if the transliteration were that far away...
Tuli wrote:Is hif`il transitive or intransitive? A causitive makes it seem like the first, but it also seemed like you used machlishim intransitively. (Unless I’m not parsing it right, or it is transitive and I don’t see it, or adjectives aren’t necessarily made transitive, or it works like English and can be either intransitive or transitive based on the number of arguments you give it. . . )
Hif`il is (always?) transitive, as is required by the causitive nature. However, you're not quite parsing the sentence the right way. Remember how the masculine plural form can be used to form an impersonal/de-agentive structure (a quasi-passive)? That's what it is in that sentence. What I did forget was the direct object marker 'et: 'et ha`itzur harishon veha`itzur hashlishi tamid machlishim. It's like saying "[They] always lenite the first and third consonants" (though you'd never actually translate it that way). This impersonal structure is common when describing "the way things are", if that makes any sense...

Alternatively, you could use a passive binyan (in this case, huf`al), making it מוחלשים muchlashim "are lenited", but I'm trying to avoid using forms you don't know yet...
Tuli wrote:I was able to recognize beyn from its Arabic cognate bayna, which made me happy. ^_^
Nice! Cognates are always a good way to help remember vocabulary, too. :)
Tuli wrote:Zohar, perhaps it’d be easier if you printed out the lessons. I don’t think I could follow them myself if I didn’t have a hard copy. ^_^
While I wouldn't be opposed to a copy of this thread in the museum ( :wink: ), that's not up to me. Besides, it would be kind of weird, I guess, to have to post each lesson twice...
Tuli wrote:I’d guess that it also means “to blush.”
Yup. I hope you're beginning to see how a small set of roots can yield such a wide variety of meanings (and you haven't seen the half of it yet!)
Tuli wrote:להגדיל lehagdil to make something grow; to grow
Yes, in the sense of "enlarge" or "increase". The transitive "grow" (as in, to grow plants) is handled by pi`el: לגדל legadel.
Tuli wrote:להטעים lehat`im to make something be delicious
Correct. It also means "give something to somebody to taste".
Tuli wrote:להאכיל leha'achil to make something eat; to feed
Bingo!
Tuli wrote:להקטין lehaqtin to make something small; to shrink
Yes. Also "reduce".
Tuli wrote:להפעיל lehaf`il to make someone do; to force; to cause
Mhmm. More commonly it's use for "to set in motion", "put to work", or "activate [a machine]".
Tuli wrote:להצריך lehatzrich to make someone need (There really should be a verb for that in English)
Indeed there should. In Hebrew, this verb can also mean things like "oblige" or "require". (Think about it - if tzarich is "have to" (roughly-speaking), lehatzrich means something like "to make something into a 'have-to'".
Tuli wrote:And for fun, I’ll try to write sentences with them!
:D

Unexpected, but it's great that you did them!
Tuli wrote:אי אפשר להגדיל חתול בגינה. י It’s not possible to grow a cat in a garden.
Well, like I said, you can't use להגדיל in this sense. You'd want לגדל legadel.
Tuli wrote:סוכר מטאים עוגה. י Sugar makes cake delicious.
Good. Although I personally'd pluralize `ugah.
Tuli wrote:למה את לא מאכילה לכלב? י Why don’t you feed the dog?
Hmm. You made a very understandable mistake here. You're thinking in an IE perspective - the direct object of "feed" is the food, and the thing the food is being fed to is indirect.

Not so in Hebrew. If you simplify the meaning of להאכיל , you get "to cause something to eat". So what's the direct object? You cause the dog to eat, not the dog food.

If you want to mention the food, you have to use the preposition ב be-: אני מאכיל בבשר את הכלב 'ani ma'achil bebasar 'et hakélev "I'm feeding some meat to the dog" (lit. "I am feeding the dog in meat").

be- is the so-called "governing preposition" of the verb leha'achil. The purpose of a causitive verb is usually to turn a transitive (valence-2) verb into a valence-3 verb. The governing preposition (in Hebrew, מילת יחס מוצרכת milat yachas mutzréchet - "required word of relation", or מ"י מוצרכת for short) is used to mark the third argument of the verb. Despite its name, it's not required :wink:

Different hif`il verbs have different governing prepositions. We'll talk about these more later on.
Tuli wrote:הים מקטין כשהוא קר. י The sea shrinks when it is cold.
Eh, don't try to do sentences dealing with weather or temperature yet. Those are weird in every language.

However, remember that hif`il verbs must be transitive.

This sentence should read הים קוטן כשיש קור hayam qoten ksheyesh qor, literally "The sea becomes smaller when there is cold."

(The intransitive "become small" is handled by לקטון liqton, the pa`al form)
Tuli wrote:האיש מפעיל מלחמות. י The man causes wars.
Perfect! :wink:
Tuli wrote:מבחנים מצריכים לה ללמוד. י Tests make her need to study.
אותה 'otah, not לה lah. Hif`il verbs always need a direct object.
Tuli wrote:Yes, they’re fairly random. ^_^ I’m afraid I messed the valencies and noun cases up completely.
Hey, it's good that you're trying! And that one sentence you made about feeding reminded me a very important thing I forgot to mention earlier!

The best way to learn, after all, is by doing.
Tuli wrote:גם יש לי מבחנים סופים החודש. אני מבין שאתה צריך ללמוד. י
זה נכון! מצד שני, סגורים את בית הספר מוקדם

(Vocab:
  • נכון nachon* "true, correct"
  • צד tzad "side" (and the expression מצד שני mitzad sheni*)
  • ס-ג-ר S-G-R "close, shut (pa`al)", "hand over to authorities, quarantine (hif`il).
  • מוקדם muqdam "early"
)

Xonen wrote:Except that I too have some exams, including a couple of university entrance examinations… And I'm lazy. But I'll try to try. :Þ
Ouch. Well, מזל טוב!

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Well, I've finished my first exam, and I think it went pretty well. Now I only have, umm... 7 exams left this school year. I think.

Anyways...

<b>Lesson 16 / השעור השישה-עשר / Hashi`ur Hashishah-`Asar</b>

1) גיזרת פ"נ בהפעיל Gizrat P"N BeHif`il

כלמדנו, יש בפעל הרבה גזרות, אבל פיעל מאוד סדיר. גם יש הרבה גזרות בהפעיל. הגיזרה העיקרית היא פ"נ (כשהעיצור הראשון הוא נ) שאובד. י

השורש נ-כ-ר לדוגמה: י
  • MSg: מכיר makir (maCiC)
  • FSg: מכירה makirah (maCiCah)
  • MPl: מכירים makirim (maCiCim)
  • FPl: מכירות makirot (maCiCot)
והמקור:
להכיר lehakir

רק מחלישים את העיצור השלישי. י

Vocabulary:
  • הרבה harbeh* "many"
  • סדיר sadir* "regular, ordered"
  • עיקרי `iqari* "main"
  • א-ב-ד '-B-D "become lost (pa`al)", "lose (pi`el)"
  • נ-כ-ר N-K-R* "to know (hif`il)" (in the same of "to be familiar with a person, place, or thing" - י-ד-ע is used for knowing facts or information)
  • לדוגמה ledugmah* "for example"
  • מקור maqor "infinitive" (another term for it), literally "origin"
Klamádnu, yesh bepa`al harbeh gzarot, 'aval pi`el me'od sadir. Gam yesh harbeh gzarot behif`il. Hagizrah ha`iqarit hi' P"N (ksheha`itzur harishon hu' N) she'oved.

Hashóresh N-K-R ledugmah:
Vehamaqor:
Raq machlishim 'et ha`itzur hashlishi.

2) סופרלטיבים Superlativim

יש שני דרכים לעשות את הסופרלטיבים לשמות תואר בעברית. אחד יותר דיבורי מהאחר

הדרך יותר רישמי וספרותי הוא ליידע את שם התואר ולשים את המילה "ביותר" אחריו

הוא הישן ביותר במשפחה
Hu' hayashan byoter bamishpachah.
"He is the oldest in the family."

הדרך יותר דיבורי הוא לשים את המילה "הכי" לפני שם התואר

הוא הכי ישן במשפחה
Hu' hachi yashan bamishpachah.

משתמשים בדרכים האלה גם כששם התואר נגטיבי

האוכל הזה הכי גרוע שאני אכלתי אי פעם! / האוכל הזה הגרוע ביותר שאני אכלתי אי פעם! י
Ha'óchel hazeh hachi garú`a she'ani 'achalti 'ey pá`am! / Zeh ha'óchel hagarú`a byoter she'ani 'achalti 'ey pá`am!
"This is the worst food I've ever eaten!" (lit. "most bad")

כשהסופרלטיב על יד עצם (ולא בצד האחר של משפט), אין גוף מיוחד, רק יש "ה". צריכים הקונטקסט להבין

הים הגדול בעולם הוא האוקיינוס השקט
Hayam hagadol ba`olam hu' ha'oqyanos hashéqet
"The biggest sea in the world is the Pacific Ocean" (lit. "The big sea in the world is the Pacific Ocean")

Vocabulary:
  • דרך dérech* "way, method" (plural as you would expect)
  • ע-ש-ה `-S-H* "make, create, do (pa`al)" (just FYI, if you don't already know - the letter ש can be pronounced /s/ in some situations, such as in this verb)
  • שם shem* "name" (masculine, but: plural שמות shemot, construct plural שמות shmot)
  • שם תואר shem to'ar* "adjective" (lit. "name of the title"; can be shortened to just תואר too)
  • דיבורי diburi "colloquial" (recognize the root?)
  • אחר 'acher* "other" (can be used as either a noun or an adjective)
  • רישמי rishmi "formal"
  • ספרותי sifruti "literary" (recognize the root?)
  • י-ד-ע Y-D-` "to make a noun definite, to inform, to update (pi`el)" (you should know this root in pa`al)
  • ש-י-ם S-Y-M* "put (pa`al)
  • אחריו 'acharav "after it" (אחר achar* = "after")
  • לפני lifney* "before"
  • משתמשים mishtamshim "they use"
  • גרוע garú`a* "bad, poor quality"
  • אי פעם 'ey pá`am* "ever" (in the negative sense - see the sample sentence)
  • על יד `al yad* "next to"
  • צד tzad* "side"
  • משפט mishpat* "sentence"
  • קונטקסט qonteqst "context"

Yesh shney drachim la`asot 'et hasuperlativim leshmot to'ar be`ivrit. 'Echad yoter diburi meha'acher.

Hadérech yoter rishmi vesifruti hu' leyade`a 'et shem hato'ar vlasim 'et hamilah "byoter" 'acharav.
Hadérech yoter diburi hu' lasim 'et hamilah "hachi" lifney shem hato'ar.
Mishtamshim badrachim ha'éleh gam ksheshem hato'ar negativi.
Kshehasuperlativ `al yad `étzem (vlo' batzad ha'acher shel hamishpat), raq yesh "ha-". Tzrichim haqonteqst lehavin.

3) המשפחה Hamishpachah

אלה המילים לאנשים במשפחה

(למד את כולם - אני לא כותב את הכוכביות פה)

Vocabulary:
  • ילד yéled "boy, child" (plural ילדים yeladim, as expected)
  • ילדה yaldah "girl"
  • בן ben "son" (plural בנים banim)
  • בת bat "daughter" (plural בנות banot)
  • אבא 'ába', אב 'av "father" (either is acceptable, 'av is the more formal; plural of both אבות 'avot)
  • אמא 'íma' "mother"
  • הורה horeh "parent"
  • אח 'ach "brother"
  • אחות 'achot "sister"
  • תינוק tinoq "baby (m)", תינוקת tinóqet "baby (f)"
  • סבא sába' "grandfather"
  • סבתא sávta' "grandmother"
  • דוד dod "uncle", דודה dódah "aunt"
  • בן דוד ben dod "cousin (m)", בת דודה bat dódah "cousin (f)" (lit. "son of an uncle" and "daughter of an aunt"); Plurals: בני דודים bney dodim (m or mixed), בתות דודים btot dodim (f)
  • בעל bá`al "husband"
  • אישה 'ishah "wife" (pl: נשים nashim; construct singular אשת 'éshet)

'éleh hamilim la'anashim bamishpachah.

(lemad 'et kulam - 'ani lo' kotev 'et hakochaviyot poh)

Vocabulary (for the text, not the list):
  • למד lemad "learn!" (imperative)
  • כוכבית kochavit "asterisk" (the diminutive of כוכב kochav* "star")

4) יחסת גניטיב עם המשפחה Yachasat Genitiv `im Hamishpachah

אתם יודעים להשתמש תא מילת היחס "של" (עם סופיות) לסמן מה יש למי. אבל עם אנשים במשפחה, יותר טוב להשתמש דרך אחר

אפשר לצרף סופיות גניטיב למילה. הסופיות האלה דומים לסופיות של שמות יחס

הינה כל הגופים הראשונים של הסופיות עם ארבעה אנשים שכיחים:

אב/אבא
  • אבי 'avi "my father"
  • אביך 'avécha "your (m) father"
  • אביך 'avich "your (f) father"
  • אביו 'avav "his father"
  • אביה 'avíha "her father"
  • אבינו 'avínu "our father"
  • אביכם 'avichem "your (mpl) father"
  • אביכן 'avichen "your (fpl) father"
  • אביהם 'avihem "their (m) father"
  • אביהן 'avihen "their (f) father"
בן
  • בני bni "my son"
  • בנך bincha "your (m) son"
  • בנך bnech "your (f) son"
  • בנו bno "his son"
  • בנה bnah "her son"
  • בננו bnénu "our son"
  • --
  • --
  • בנם bnam "their (m) son"
  • --
בת
  • בתי biti "my daughter"
  • בתך bitécha "your (m) daughter"
  • בתך bitech "your (f) daughter"
  • בתו bito "his daughter"
  • בתה bitah "her daughter"
  • בתנו biténu "our daughter"
  • --
  • --
  • בתם bitam "their (m) daughter"
  • --
אישה
  • אשתי 'ishti "my wife"
  • אשתך 'ishtecha "your (m) wife"
  • --
  • אשתו 'ishto "his wife"
  • --
  • --
  • --
  • --
  • --
  • --
הסיבה לרוחים היא ברורה. חשוב עליו

הדבר הכי קשה על המילים האלה הוא שהסופיות והתנועות לא עקביים

תלמדו תא סופיות הריבוי בשעור אחר

Vocabulary:
  • להשתמש lehishtamesh "to use" (mabye you should just remember this verb since I'm going to be using it a lot...)
  • מילת יחס milat yachas* "preposition" (lit. "word of relation")
  • סופית sofit* "ending, suffix"
  • ס-מ-ן S-M-N* "mark, indicate (pi`el)"
  • יותר טוב yoter tov + infinitive* "it is better to..."
  • צ-ר-ף Tz-R-P* "add, join to (pi`el)"
  • גניטיב genitiv "genitive, possessive"
  • ד-מ-ה D-M-H* "resemble, be like (pa`al)" (followed by ל le-)
  • הינה hineh* "here is, here are"
  • גוף ראשון guf rishon "singular" (when dealing with nouns; literally "first form")
  • שכיח shachiach "common" (in the sense of "widespread" or "often used")
  • רוח revach "gap, blank, space"
  • ברור barur "obvious"
  • חשוב chashov "think!"
  • עליו `alav "about it"
  • דבר davar* "thing" (the generic unidentified noun)
  • קשה qasheh* "difficult" (in addition to physically "hard" or "solid")
  • על `al* "about"
  • תנועה tnu`ah* "vowel"
  • עקבי `iqvi "consistent"
  • תלמדו tilmedu "you (mpl) will learn"
  • ריביו rivuy* "plural" (this is a noun!)
'Atem yoda`im lehishtamesh 'et milat hayachas "shel" (`im sofiyot) lesamen mah yesh lemi. 'Aval `im 'anashim bamishpachah, yoter tov lehishtamesh dérech 'acher.

'Efshar letzaref sofiyot genitiv lamilah. Hasofiyot ha'éleh domim lasofiyot shel shmot yachas.

Hineh kol hagufim harishonim shel hasufiyot `im 'arba`ah 'anashim shachichim.
Hasibah larevachim hi' brurah. Chashov `alav.

Hadavar hachi qasheh `al hamilim ha'éleh hu' shehasofiyot vehatnu`ot lo' `iqviyim.

Tilmedu 'et sofiyot harivuy beshi`ur 'acher.

EXERCISES:

1) Conjugate the root נ-ס-ק N-S-Q in hif`il. It means "to light a fire" or "to draw (a conclusion)". Infinitive too.

2) Now try נ-ג-ע N-G-`, which means "arrive" in hif`il (in pa`al, it means "touch" or "approach", or by extension, "to concern something"). It's not hard, but you know what ע does word-finally...

3) And for even more of a challenge, try נ-ט-ה N-T-H, which appropriately means "to conjugate a verb" in hif`il (as well as "deflect" or "turn aside"). Look at the final-ה patterns in pa`al for help.

4) Translate the following sentences using superlatives.
  • The Atacama is the dryest desert in the world.
  • Everest is the highest mountain in the world.
  • My favorite food is... (say "The food that is tastiest to me is...")
  • My youngest brother is named Jacob. (this sentence will need some reordering in Hebrew. Try to figure it out!)
  • He is the smartest [guy] I know.
  • Choose something for yourself!
Vocabulary:
  • מדבר midbar* "desert" (just for the fun of it, try to spell "Atacama" yourself)
  • יבש yavesh "dry"
  • עולם `olam* "world"
  • אוורסט 'everest "Everest"
  • הר har* "mountain"
  • גבוה gavóha* "tall, high" (feminine sg גבוהה gavohah)
  • Guess how to say "my brother". It's regular. (And never use a definite article on a noun with a possessive suffix - it's implied)
  • יעקב Ya`aqov "Jacob"
  • צעיר tza`ir* "young" (a > e in all other forms)
  • חכם chacham* "smart, wise"

I hope I didn't make any mistakes there...

EDIT: A brief English summary, just to make sure you got everything...
1) P"N (initial N) is a major binyan in hif`il. This /n/ is lost when the verb is conjugated.
2) Superlatives on opposite sides of the copula (ie, "____ is the most/least ____") can be formed in two ways. More formally, by making the adjective definite and following it by "byoter". More colloquially, by preceding it with "hachi".
3) When the superlative directly modifies a noun ("the most/least ____ noun"), there is no special form. The adjective takes the definite article, and meaning is determined by context. What else can "The big sea in the world" mean, after all?
4) Hebrew has a number of kinship terms, naturally, and all mark gender. The terms for "cousin" are formed using constructs. These kinship terms tend to be some of the most irregular nouns in the entire language.
5) Instead of using "shel" plus an ending to mark possession, a special ending can be affixed directly onto the noun. This is common in literary Hebrew, but is more limited in the spoken register. However, these endings are consistently used in speech with kinship terms (eg, "bno" = "haben shelo" = "his son"). Other nouns that can use these endings without sounding overly formal in speech will be discussed later on.
Last edited by Mecislau on Wed May 17, 2006 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tuli
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tuli »

How is shachiach spelled? You have it with two חs in the vocabulary list, but with a כ and a ח in the text.

Answers for Lesson 16:
Exercise 1:
מסיק masiq
מסיקה masiqah
מסיקים masiqim
מסיקות masiqot
להסיק lehasiq

Exercise 2:
מגיע magí`a
מגיעה magi`ah
מגיעים magi`im
מגיעות magi`ot
להגיע lehagí`a

Exercise 3:
מטיה matih
מטה (או הוא "מטיה"?) matah
מטים matim
מטות (או הוא "מטיות"?) matot
להטית lehatit

Exercise 4:
בשעור. אני משתמש "יבש" פה “dry”לא הייתה מילה ל

האטקמה הוא המדבר היבש בעומם. י Ha’Ataqámah hu’ hamidbar hayavesh ba`olam.

אוורסט הוא ההר הגבוה בעולם. י ‘Everest hu’ hahar hagavóha ba`olam.

היוכל שהוא הכי טעים לי הוא עוגה. י Ha’óchel shehu’ hachi ta`im li hu’ `ugah.

השם של אחי הצעיר הוא יעקב. י Hashem shel ‘achi hatza`ir hu’ Ya`aqov.

הוא החכם ביותר שאני מכיר. י Hu’ hachacham byoter she’ani makir.

הסבתא של השוטר הייתה הישנה ביותר במסעדה כשאני אכלתי שם. י Hasávta’ shel hashóter haytah hayshanah byoter bamis`adah kshe’ani ‘achálti sham.

Noranaya died again. Resurrection pending.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Tuli wrote:How is shachiach spelled? You have it with two חs in the vocabulary list, but with a כ and a ח in the text.
Whoops. It should be a kaf: שכיח. Fixed.
Tuli wrote:Exercise 3:
מטיה matih
מטה (או הוא "מטיה"?) matah
מטים matim
מטות (או הוא "מטיות"?) matot
להטית lehatit
Exercises 1 and 2 you got perfectly.

Here, you're close. You got the feminine singular and both of the plural forms right. Remember, though, that the main masculine vocalic ending is -eh. The proper conjugation is like this:

מטה mateh
מטה matah (spelt the same, pronounced differently)
מטים matim
מטות matot

And infinitives for P"H (final /h/) roots always end in -ot: להטות lehatot.

As you can see, some of the basic tendencies of the consonants, such as the final h paradigms (-eh, -ah, and -ot for the infinitive) trump the vowel patterns of the binyan. But as I said, this exercise was just for the fun of it - I was curious to see if you could figure it out (and I have a feeling next time I try this with another binyan you'll get it, now that I've laid out some of the rules here...)
Tuli wrote:בשעור. אני משתמש "יבש" פה “dry”לא הייתה מילה ל
Whoops. Well, yes, yavesh is the word you want.

And by the way, that sentence probably should be placed in the present tense: אין מילה ל... It sounds better.

And nice use of mishtamesh here, despite not studying that binyan yet. Although technically it should be followed by the preposition be- (another 'governing preposition' - and yes, I made the same mistake in the lesson. Fixed) :wink:
Tuli wrote:האטקמה הוא המדבר היבש בעומם. י Ha’Ataqámah hu’ hamidbar hayavesh ba`olam.
Perfect. And I see you've figured out Hebrew's general rules for transcribing foreign words.

ט and ק are always used for /t/ and /k/ (instead of ת and כ) in order to prevent lenition from messing up the pronunciation, such as when that kaf suddenly becomes [X]. And while tav doesn't lenite in Modern Standard Hebrew, it did in Biblical Hebrew and still in some dialects today to [T] (which is why /T/ is transcribed with tav, like תאטרון te'atron "theatre").
Tuli wrote:אוורסט הוא ההר הגבוה בעולם. י ‘Everest hu’ hahar hagavóha ba`olam.
Yep. And of course, /v/ is usually (though not always - this is kind of a messy situation) transcribed as וו in loan words.
Tuli wrote:היוכל שהוא הכי טעים לי הוא עוגה. י Ha’óchel shehu’ hachi ta`im li hu’ `ugah.
Mmm. גם אני אוהב עוגה :P
Tuli wrote:השם של אחי הצעיר הוא יעקב. י Hashem shel ‘achi hatza`ir hu’ Ya`aqov.
Good!
Tuli wrote:הוא החכם ביותר שאני מכיר. י Hu’ hachacham byoter she’ani makir.

הסבתא של השוטר הייתה הישנה ביותר במסעדה כשאני אכלתי שם. י Hasávta’ shel hashóter haytah hayshanah byoter bamis`adah kshe’ani ‘achálti sham.
I think you've got the hang of it!

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

<b>Lesson 17 / השעור השיבעה-עשר / Hashi`ur Hashiv`ah-`Asar</b>

1) זמן העבר בהפעיל Zman Ha`avar beHif`il

בזמן העבר, התחלית "ה-" מצורפת לפועל והתנועה "א" מצורפת בין העיצור השני ושלישי (מלבד בגוף השלישי, איפה התועה היא "י" במקום.) העיצור הראשון ושלישי מוחלשים אם אפשר. י
  • 1Sg: hiCCáCti
  • 2SgM: hiCCáCta
  • 2SgF: hiCCaCt
  • 3SgM: hiCCiC
  • 3SgF: hiCCíCah
  • 1Pl: hiCCáCnu
  • 2PlM: hiCCáCtem
  • 2PlF: hiCCáCten
  • 3Pl: hiCCíCu

עם השורש ר-ג-ש שוב: י
  • אני הרגשתי 'ani hirgáshti
  • אתה הרגשת 'atah hirgáshta
  • את הרגשת 'at hirgasht
  • הוא הרגיש hu' hirgish
  • היא הרגישה hi' hirgíshah
  • אנחנו הרגשנו 'anáchnu hirgáshnu
  • אתם הרגשתם 'atem hirgáshtem
  • אתן הרגשתן 'aten hirgáshten
  • הם הרגישו hem hirgíshu
פועלים פ"ן דומים לזה, אבל אין אשכול כי אין "נ". עם נ-כ-ר: י
  • אני הכרתי 'ani hikárti
  • אתה הכרת 'atah hikárta
  • את הכרת 'at hikart
  • הוא הכיר hu' hikir
  • היא הכירה hi' hikírah
  • אנחנו הכרנו 'anáchnu hikárnu
  • אתם הכרתם 'atem hikártem
  • אתן הכרתן 'aten hikárten
  • הם הכירו hem hikíru
(לא החלישו את "כ" כי עדין הוא העיצור השני בשורש)

ב-י-ן לא סדיר: י
  • אני הבנתי 'ani hevánti
  • אתה הבנת 'atah hevánta
  • את הבנת 'at hevant
  • הוא הבין hu' hevin
  • היא הבינה hi' hevínah
  • אנחנו הבנו 'anáchnu hevánu
  • אתם הבנתם 'atem hevántem
  • אתן הבנתן 'aten hevánten
  • הם הבינו hem hevínu

Vocabulary:
  • זמן zman* "time"
  • זמן עבר zman `avar* "past tense"
  • תחלית techilit "prefix"
  • מצורפת metzuréfet "is added"
  • מלבד milvad* "except (for)"
  • במקום bimqom* "instead, in its place" (lit. "in place" - ב + מקום be + maqom)
  • מוחלשים muchlashim "are lenited"
  • ר-ג-ש R-G-Sh* "to feel [emotions] (hif`il)"; "to move emotionally/excite (pi`el)"
  • שוב shuv* "again"
  • אשכול 'eshkol "cluster"
  • כי ki* "because"
  • החלישו hechelíshu "they lenited" (notice how the prefix hi- becomes he- if the first consonant is ח. This also applies for א and ה (the gutteral group), and an extra /e/ is added after it to prevent a cluster, just like in pa`al)
  • עדין `adayn "still, yet"

Bezman ha`avar, hatchilit "hi-" metzuréfet lapo`al vehatnu`ah "a" metzuréfet beyn ha`itzur hasheni veshlishi (milvad haguf hashlishi, 'eyfoh hatnu`ah "i" bimqom). Ha`itzur harishon veshlishi muchlashim 'im 'efshar.
`Im hashóresh R-G-Sh shuv:
Po`alim P"N domim lezeh, 'aval 'eyn 'eshkol ki 'eyn "n". `Im N-K-R:
(Lo' hechlíshu 'et "k" ki `adayn hu' ha`itzur hasheni bashóresh)

B-Y-N lo' sadir:

2) זמן עתיד בפיעל Zman `Atid bePi`el

כזמן העבר,עושים את זמן העתיד עם אפיקסים שדומים לכינויים. אבל לא כמו העבר, האפיקסים האלה מצורפים לפני הפועל. י

התחליות האלה זהות ביסוד בכל בניין. בהתגשמות שלהם הכי פשוטה, הם: ("ששש" פה מייצר את עיצורי השורש) י
  • 1Sg: א-ששש
  • 2SgM: ת-ששש
  • 2SgF: ת-ששש-י
  • 3SgM: י-ששש
  • 3SgF: ת-ששש (the same as the 2SgM)
  • 1Pl: נ-ששש
  • 2Pl: ת-ששש-ו
  • 3Pl: י-ששש-ו
אין מין בגופי הריבוי. נו, באמת, יש אחד. אבל הגוף הנקבי קצת ארכאי ורישמי. י

זאת הטיית פיעל. רק העיצור הראשון מוחלש. י
  • 1Sg: 'aCaCeC
  • 2SgM: teCaCeC
  • 2SgF: teCaCCi
  • 3SgM: yeCaCeC
  • 3SgF: teCaCeC
  • 1Pl: neCaCeC
  • 2Pl: teCaCCu
  • 3Pl: yeCaCCu
  • (2PlF/3PlF: teCaCéCnah)
עם ד-ב-ר: י
  • אני אדבר 'ani 'adaber
  • אתה תדבר 'atah tedaber
  • את תדברי 'at tedabri
  • הוא ידבר hu' yedaber
  • היא תדבר hi' tedaber
  • אנחנו נדבר 'anachnu nedaber
  • אתם תדברו 'atem tedabru
  • הם ידברו hem yedabru
  • (אתן/הן תדברנה 'aten/hen tedabérnah)
למה אנחנו לא למדנו את העתיד לפעל קודם? כי לא כמו רגיל בעברית, יש שתי התגשמויות ואי אפשר לנבא את איזו פועל פרטיקולרי צריך. נלמד אותו בשעור הבא. י

Vocabulary:
  • זמן עתיד zman `atid* "future tense"
  • ע-ש-ה `-S-H* "make, do (pa`al)"
  • אפיקס 'afiqs "affix"
  • זהה zeheh* "same, identical"
  • ביסוד beysod "essentially, basically" (lit. "in essence")
  • התגשמות hitgashmut "form, realization"
  • פשוט pashut* "simple" (pshutah, pshutim, pshutot)
  • י-צ-ר Y-Tz-R* "represent (pi`el)" (notice the spelling - the initial /j/ is spelt as יי when this verb is conjugated, so it cannot be confused with the vowel /i/)
  • באמת be'émet* "really, actually" (lit. "in truth")
  • נקבי neqevi "feminine"
  • קצת qetzat* "a little bit, slightly"
  • ארכאי 'archa'i "archaic"
  • הטייה hatayah "conjugation" (lit. "bending" or "deviation")
  • רגיל ragil* "usual"
  • נ-ב-א N-B-' "predict (pi`el)"
  • פרטיקולרי partiqulári "particular"
  • נלמד nilmad - you guess what this means.
  • בא ba'* "next" (lit. "coming" - just conjugate לבוא lavo' and match the gender)

Kezman ha`avar, `osim 'et zman ha`atid `im 'afiqsim shedomim lakinuyim. 'Aval lo' kmo ha`avar, ha'afiqsim ha'éleh metzurfim lifney hapo`al.

Hatchiliyot ha'éleh zehot beysod bechol binyan. Bahitgashmut shelahem hachi pshutah, hem: ("ShShSh" poh meyatzer 'et `itzurey hashóresh).
'Eyn min begufey harivuy. Nu, be'émet, yesh 'echad. 'Aval haguf haneqevi qetzat 'archa'i verishmi.

Zot hatayat pi`el. Raq ha`itzur harishon muchlash.
`Im D-B-R:
Lámah 'anáchnu lo' lamádnu 'et ha`atid lepa`al qódem? Ki lo' kmo ragil be`ivrit, yesh shtey hitgashmuyot ve'i 'efshar lenabe' 'et 'eyzo po`al partiqulári tzarich. Nilmad 'oto bashi`ur haba'.

3) עונות השנה `Onot Hashanah

עונות ארבע השנה בעברית הן: י
  • סתיו stav "autumn"
  • חורף chóref "winter"
  • אביב 'aviv "spring"
  • קיץ qáyitz "summer"

Vocabulary:
  • עונה `onah* "period, season"
  • אביב 'aviv - the city of תל אביב Tel 'Aviv means "Hill of Spring"

4) החודשים Hachodashim

שנים-עשר חודשים בעברית הם (בסדר): י
  • ינואר yanu'ar
  • פברואר febru'ar
  • מרץ mertz (או מרס mars)
  • אפריל 'april
  • מאי may
  • יוני yuni
  • יולי yuli
  • אוגוסט 'ogust
  • ספטמבר september
  • אוקטובר 'oqtober
  • נובמבר november
  • דצמבר detzember
כותבים תאריכים כמספר זכרי ("יום" מרמז), ב-, והחודש: י
שלושה במאי
shloshah bemay
"May 3rd"

גם יש לוח עברי ליהדות. יש שנים-עשר חודשים ירחיים עם עשרים ותישעה או שלושים ימים. השנה מתחילה בראש השנה (אחד בתשרי). י
  • תשרי tishrey (סתיו)
  • חשוון chashvan
  • כסלו kislev
  • טבת tevet (חורף)
  • שבט shvat
  • אדר 'adar
  • ניסן nisan (אביב)
  • אייר 'iyar
  • סיוון sivan
  • תמוז tamuz (קיץ)
  • אב 'av
  • אלול 'elul
בשנים מעברות, חודש נוסף מצורף בשביל לשמור בסדר את הלוח עם העונות. גם נקרא אדר ומוכנס לפני האדר האמיתי. י

Vocabulary:
  • תאריך ta'arich* "date" (only in the sense of time)
  • זכרי zechari "masculine"
  • מרומז merumaz "implied"
  • מרץ/מרס mertz/mars - Both forms are acceptable, although "Mertz" seems to be more common.
  • לוח lúach* "calendar" (actually, this can refer to almost any kind of flat board: "blackboard, slab, board (for a board game), photo plate, control panel...")
  • יהדות yahadut* "Judaism"
  • עברי `ivri* "Hebrew" (as an adjective)
  • ירחי yerechi "lunar"
  • ת-ח-ל T-Ch-L* "begin, start (hif`il)" (this hif`il verb doesn't require a direct object - it can be used both intransitively or transitively, in which case the direct object is preceded by ב)
  • ראש השנה Rosh HaShanah* - the new year (lit. "The Head of the Year")
  • שנים shanim - Both שנים shanim and שנות shanot are used as plurals of שנה shanah, but שנים is considered the standard, while שנות is more poetic. Either way, though, it's still feminine.
  • מעובר me`uvar "intercalary" (שנה מעוברת shanah me`uvéret means "leap year")
  • נוסף nosaf* "extra, additional"
  • בשביל bishvil "for, in order to, so as to"
  • ש-מ-ר Sh-M-R* "keep, guard (pa`al)" (if the direct object is preceded by את, it means "keep". If על, it means "guard")
  • נקרא niqra' "is called" (recognize the root?)
  • מוכנס muchnas "is inserted" (כ-נ-ס K-N-S* "bring in, insert (hif`il)", "bring together, gather (pi`el)")
  • אמיתי 'amiti* "real, genuine, original"

Shnem-`asar khodashim be`ivrit hem (bséder):
Kotvim ta'arichim kamispar hazchari ("yom" merumaz), be-, vehachódesh:
Gam yesh lúach `ivri leyahadut. Yesh shnem-`asar chodashim yerechiyim `im `esrim vetish`ah 'o shloshim yamim. Hashanah matchilah bRosh HaShanah ('echad betishrey).

Bshanim me`uvrot, chódesh nosaf metzuraf bishvil lishmor bséder 'et halúach `im ha`onot. Gam niqra' 'adar vemuchnas lifney ha'adar ha'amiti.

5) ימי השבוע Yemey Hashavú`a

ימי השבוע נקראים עם מספרים סידורים (מלבד יום שבת). י
  • יום ראשון yom rishon "Sunday"
  • יום שני yom sheni "Monday"
  • יום שלישי yom shlishi "Tuesday"
  • יום רביעי yom revi`i "Wednesday"
  • יום חמישי yom chamishi "Thursday"
  • יום שישי yom shishi "Friday"
  • שבת shabat "Saturday/Sabbath"
Vocabulary:
  • ימי yemey* - the construct plural of יום yom
  • מספרים סידורים misparim sidurim "ordinal numbers"
  • ראשון, שני, שלישי, רבעי, חמישי, שישי rishon, sheni, revi`i, chamishi, shishi* "first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth"
Yemey hashavú`a niqra'im `im misparim sidurim (milvad yom shabat).

6) זמן העתיד לשורש ה-י-ה Zman Ha`Atid LaShóresh H-Y-H (to be)

בעתיד ה-י-ה ניטה כזה: י
  • אני אהיה 'ani 'ehyeh
  • אתה תהיה 'atah tihyeh
  • את תהיי 'at tihyi
  • הוא יהיה hu' yihyeh
  • היא תהיה hi' tihyeh
  • אנחנו נהיה 'anáchnu nihyeh
  • אתם תהיו 'atem tihyu
  • הם יהיו hem yihyu
  • (אתן/הן תהיינה 'aten/hen tihyéynah)

Vocabulary:
  • ניטה niteh "is conjugated"
Ba`atid H-Y-H niteh kazeh:

EXERCISES:

1) Conjugate כ-ת-ב in the hif`il past. Here it means "to dictate [something]".

2) Conjugate א-ד-ם in the hif`il past. Remember the changes that occur (Hint: The 1Sg form is האדמתי he'edámti)

3) Conjugate ב-ש-ל "cook" in the pi`el future. Remember that only the first consonant lenites.

4) What's today's date? Yesterday's? Tomorrow's? (Say "Today [it] is... Yesterday [it] was... Tomorrow [it] will be..."; אתמול 'etmol* "yesterday", מחר machar* "tomorrow")

5) When is your birthday? (יום הולדת yom hulédet* - a construct literally meaning "day of birth")

6) How old will you be in 10 years? (answer in a complete sentence)

7) If you have the time, try to work out a few sentences of your own using some of what we did this lesson. Practice the future tense especially.

8) Want a bit of a challenge? Transcribe and translate this article from the Hebrew Wikipedia: http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9E%D7%A8%D7%A5 (Yes, I realize it's not the most exciting topic, but you should know a fair amount of the vocabulary here).

Here's the article as it is right now (since these articles do change over time). I've had to replace the Latin characters ("Martius" and "März") with dashes, because this board can't handle the bidirectional text properly:
ויקופדיה wrote: מרץ או מרס (בלטינית ----), הוא החודש השלישי בלוח השנה הגרגוריאני. לפני קביעת הלוח היוליאני היה החודש הראשון בשנה.

שמו של החודש נגזר משמו של האל הרומאי מרס, אל המלחמה. ייתכן שהסיבה לכך היא משום שבחודש הזה חל האביב, בו נמסים השלגים, וניתן שוב לערוך קרבות.

התעתיק העברי מרץ חדר אל העברית מן הגרמנית, שם נכתב שם החודש ----. שם החודש התקני בעברית, אך המקובל פחות, הוא מרס.

בחודש מרץ 31 ימים.

מרץ הוא חודש חורפי-אביבי בחצי הכדור הצפוני וקיצי-סתווי בחצי הכדור הדרומי.
Vocabulary and Comments:
You should be able to guess at a number of words you don't explicitly know.
  • לטינית latinit* "Latin"
  • גרגוריאני gregori'ani "Gregorian" (the name of the calendar we use)
  • קביעה qvi`ah "setting, ruling" (or in this case, it could be translated at "establishment")
  • יוליאני yuli'ani "Julian" (the calendar used across much of Europe before the adoption of the Gregorian)
  • היה - This is the same as הייה hayah. In Israel there are two separate competing orthographies for modern Hebrew. One of the differences you'll often see is the use of two yods in haya versus only one. Apparently the one-yod variant is significantly more common, so it might be worthwhile to use it instead (although the two-yod variety is more common in the other forms of the verb). Just be able to recognize both forms when you see them.
  • שמו של החודש shmo shel hachódesh "the name of the month" (This is a so-called "double-possessive", where possession is marked both with של and with a nominal possessive suffix agreeing in gender with the possessor. This literally would translate to "his name of the month". This is common when the possessed is a noun that commonly takes possessive suffixes (like family members, שם shem is another) and the possessor is a noun (never a pronoun), so you will often see things like אביו של יעקב 'avav shel Ya`aqov "Jacob's father" (lit. "his father of Jacob")
  • נגזר nigzar "is derived"
  • אל 'el* "god" (with a lowercase "g", ie, any god)
  • רומאי roma'i "Roman"
  • מרס mars "Mars" (both the planet and the god)
  • מלחמה milchamah* "war"
  • ייתכן yitachen* "it is possible (that)" (also spelled יתכן - both spellings seem to be about equally popular)
  • לכך lekach* "for this" (כך kach is often used as a demonstrative pronoun lacking an antecedent (ie, there isn't a single noun it is substituting for))
  • משום ש mishum she-* "because of the fact that"
  • ח-ו-ל Ch-V-L* "occur, fall on (date) (pa`al)"
  • נמסים namsim "melts, thaws"
  • שלג shéleg "snow"
  • ניתן nitan "it is feasible"
  • לערוך la`aroch "to organize, to formulate"
  • קרב qrav (plural qravot) "battle" (does this sentence sound as silly to you as it does to me?)
  • תעתיק ta`etiq "transcription"
  • ח-ד-ר Ch-D-R* "penetrate (pa`al)"
  • אל 'al "to, towards"
  • מן min "from" (the full form of mi-)
  • גרמנית germanit "German"
  • נכתב nichtav "is written"
  • תקני tiqni* "standard, normal, according to a linguistic standard" (adjectives modifying a construct noun always come after the full construct - "the new school" would be בית הספר החדש beyt haséfer hachadash)
  • אך 'ach "but, however, albeit"
  • מקובל mequbal* "accepted, popular, customary" (recognize the root?)
  • פחות pachot* "less"
  • חצי הכדור chátzi hakadur "hemisphere" (lit. "half of the ball/globe")
  • צפוני tzfoni* "northern"
  • דרומי dromi* "southern"
  • חרפי charfi* "wintry, of winter"
  • אביבי 'avivi* "vernal, of spring"
  • קיצי qéytzi* "summery, of summer"
  • סתווי stavi* "autumnal, of autumn"

EDIT: And from now on, with this all-in-Hebrew lessons, I'm including a short summary of "what we learned" at the end, just to make sure you comprehend it all. I've editted it into the past lessons as well. So here it is:
You learned...
The past tense of hif`il verbs.
The future tense of pi`el verbs.
The months (both Western and Hebrew), days of the week, and seasons.
The basic prefixes/suffixes common to all future tense verbs, no matter the binyan.

Tuli
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tuli »

Answers for Lesson 17:
Exercise 1:
הכתבתי hichtávti
הכתבת hichtávta
הכתבת hichtavt
הכתיב hichtiv
הכתיבה hichtívah
הכתבנו hichtávnu
הכתבתם hichtávtem
הכתבתן hichtávten
הכתיבו hichtívu

Exercise 2:
האדמתי he’edámti
האדמת he’edámta
האדמת he’edamt
האדים he’edim
האדימה he’edímah
האדמנו he’edámnu
האדמתם he’edámtem
האדמתן he’edámten
האדימו he’edímu

Exercise 3:
אבשל ‘avashel
תבשל tevashel
תבשלי tevashli
יבשל yevashel
תבשל tevashel
נבשל nevashel
תבשלו tevashlu
יבשלו yevashlu
(תבשלנה) (tevashélnah)

Exercise 4:
היום הוא יום רביעי, עשרים וארבעה במאי. י Hayom hu’ yom revi`i, `esrim ve’arba`ah bemay.
אתמול היה יום שלישי, עשרים ושלושה במאי. י ‘Etmol hayah yom shlishi, `esrim veshloshah bemay.
מחר יהיה יום חמישי, עשרים וחמישה במאי. י Machar yihyeh yom chamishi, `esrim vechamishah bemay.

Exercise 5:
יום ההולדת שלי הוא עשרים ואחד באוקטובר. י Yom hahulédet sheli hu’ `esrim ve’echad be’oqtober.

Exercise 6:
בעשר שנה, אהיה בן עשרים וחמש. י Be’éser shanah, ‘ehyeh ben `esrim vechamesh.

Exercise 7:
השבוע הבא, אבקר חוץ לעיר. י Hashavú`a haba’, ‘avaqer chutz la`ir. (I actually will be out of town starting next Wednesday for a week and a half.)

הוא יקבל חמישים שקלים לקנות בשוק הלילה. יHu’ yeqabel chamishim shqalim liqnot bashuq haláylah.

לא תשלמו לקפה אם לא חם. יLo’ teshalmu laqafeh ‘im lo’ cham.

אדבר הרבה ספות. י ‘Adaber harbeh safot.

Exercise 8:
Martz ‘o mars (belatinit Martius), hu’ hachódesh hashlishi balúach hagregori’ani. Lifney qvi`at halúach hayuli’ani hayah hachódesh harishon bashanah.

Shmo shel hachódesh nigzar mishmo shel ha’el haroma’i mars, ‘el hamilchamah. Yitachen shehasibah lekach hi’ mishum shebachódesh hazeh chal ha’aviv, bo namsim hashlagim, venitan shuv la`aroch qravot.

Hata`etiq ha`ivri martz chadar ‘al ha`ivrit min hagermanit, sham nichtav shem hachódesh März. Shem hachódesh hatiqni ba`ivrit, ‘ach hamequbal pachot hu’ mars.

Bachódesh martz 31 yamim.

Martz hu’ chódesh chorfi(?)-avivi bechátzi hakadur veqéytzi-stavi bechátzi hakadur hadromi.

Wikipedia wrote:
Martz or Mars (in Latin “Martius”), is the third month of the Gregorian calendar. Before the establishment of the Julian calendar it was the first month of the year.

The name of the month is derived from the name of the Roman god Mars, the god of war. It is possible that the reason for this is because of the fact that in this month spring falls, and with it snowmelts, and it is again feasible to organize battles. (It’s a bit wordy, but it manages to make sense. . .)

The Hebrew transcription “Martz” came to Hebrew from German, where the name of the month is written “März.” The standard name of the month in Hebrew, though less popular, is Mars.

There are 31 days in the month of March.

March is a wintery-springy month in the Northern Hemisphere, and a summery-autumnal month in the Southern Hemisphere.

Long lesson; over 9 printed pages. ^_^ The Wikipedia article was especially fun.

Out of curiosity, where did the Hebrew present tense originate from? The past and future are almost identical to the Arabic perfect and imperfect, but I haven’t seen any parallels with what little Arabic I know with the present.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Wow. I don't have anything to say here. You did that perfectly!

Good job!
Tuli wrote:Long lesson; over 9 printed pages. ^_^ The Wikipedia article was especially fun.
Good - I was hoping you'd have a bit of fun with that. I'll see if I can include a few more in future lessons.

And just a little comment about something you probably saw in the Wikipedia article - The standard word order in Hebrew is, as you probably have guessed, SVO. However, if there is a sentence-level adverb (ie, something modifying the entire sentence or the verb) and it is placed at the very beginning of a clause, then there is a tendency to switch the word order to VSO. Like you saw in the article: שם נכתב שם החודש sham nichtav shem hachódesh Märtz "There the name of the month is written Märtz (literally "there is-written name of-the-month Märtz").

Also, regarding חרפי versus חורפי. Apparently what I gave you, charfi is a more archaic/Biblical/dialectical form. The more regular chorfi seems to be much more common. I'll edit that.

Tuli wrote:Out of curiosity, where did the Hebrew present tense originate from? The past and future are almost identical to the Arabic perfect and imperfect, but I haven’t seen any parallels with what little Arabic I know with the present.
They're present participles. When you say "אני כותב" you are quite literally saying "I am writing" (or perhaps "I writing", because of the zero-form copula). In fact, you can tack present tense forms onto nouns and treat them as adjectives (הכלב הרץ hakélev haratz "the running dog"). As adjectives, they mean "that is Xing" (in the above example, "that is running").

That's also why you use the present tense of לבוא "come" to mean "next" - השנה הבאה hashanah haba'ah "next year" (lit. "the year that is coming").

Didn't you ever notice that the present tense conjugates suspiciously like an adjective? :wink:

And of course, the reason why the present participle "to be" isn't used is obvious - it's kind of redundant to say "She is being his daughter" (היא הווה בתי hi' hovah bito) when you can just say "She is his daughter" (היא בתו hi' bito).

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

<b>Lesson 18 / השעור השמונה-עשר / Hashi`ur Hashmonah-`Asar</b>

1) העתיד להפעיל Ha`atid leHif`il

יש "י" בין העיצור השני והשלישי בעתיד להפעיל, כבזמנים האחרים. עם השורש ת-ח-ל: י
  • אני אתחיל 'ani 'atchil
  • אתה תתחיל 'atah tatchil
  • את תתחילי 'at tatchili
  • הוא יתחיל hu' yatchil
  • היא תתחיל hi' tatchil
  • אנחנו נתחיל 'anáchnu natchil
  • אתם תתחילו 'atem tatchílu
  • הם יתחילו hem yatchílu
  • (אתן/הן תתחלנה 'aten/hen tatchélnah)
העתיד לגזרת פ"נ הוא כמו אתם משערים. י
  • אני אכיר 'ani 'akir
  • אתה תכיר 'atah takir
  • את תכירי 'at takiri
  • הוא יכיר hu' yakir
  • היא תכיר hi' takir
  • אנחנו נכיר 'anáchnu nakir
  • אתם תכירו 'atem takíru
  • הם יכירו hem yakíru
  • (אתן/הן תכרנה 'aten/hen takérnah)
ב-י-ן: י
  • אני אבין 'ani 'avin
  • אתה תבין 'atah tavin
  • את תביני 'at tavini
  • etc
  • (אתן/הן תבנה 'aten/hen tavénah)

Yesh "i" beyn ha`itztur hasheni vehashlishi ba`atid lehif`il, kbazmanim ha'acherim. `Im hashóresh T-Ch-L:
Ha`atid legizrat P"N hu' kmo 'atem mesha`arim.

2) העתיד לפעל

יש שתי פרדיגמות לעתיד לפעל, ולרוע המזל אי אפשר לדעת את איזה צריך פועל מסוים. הן נקראות אפעל ואפעול, על ההתגשמות שלהן בגוף הראשון. י

אפעול הוא במקצת יותר שכיח: י
  • 1Sg: 'eCCoC
  • 2SgM: tiCCoC
  • 2SgF: tiCCeCi
  • 3SgM: yiCCoC
  • 3SgF: tiCCoC
  • 1Pl: niCCoC
  • 2Pl: tiCCeCu
  • 3Pl: yiCCeCu
  • (2PlF/3PlF: tiCCóCnah)
שורשים שכבר יודעים אתם כוללים את כ-ת-ב, ח-ש-ב, ע-ז-ר, ס-ג-ר. את העיצור הראשון והסופי תמיד מחלישים. י
  • אני אכתוב 'ani 'echtov
  • אתה תכתוב 'atah tichtov
  • את תכתבי 'at tichtevi
  • הוא יכתוב hu' yichtov
  • היא תכתוב hi' tichtov
  • אנחנו נכתוב 'anáchnu nichtov
  • אמם תכתבו 'atem tichtevu
  • הם יכתבו hem yichtevu
  • (אתן/הן תכתובנה 'aten/hen tichtóvnah)

פרדיגמת אפעל השלמה: י
  • 1Sg: 'eCCaC
  • 2SgM: tiCCaC
  • 2SgF: tiCCeCi
  • 3SgM: yiCCaC
  • 3SgF: tiCCaC
  • 1Pl: niCCaC
  • 2Pl: tiCCeCu
  • 3Pl: yiCCeCu
  • (2PlF/3PlF: tiCCáCnah)
כרואים, זה דומה לאפעול, מלבד תנועה אחת. השורשים האלה כוללים את ג-ד-ל, ל-מ-ד. י
  • אני אגדל 'ani 'egdal
  • אתה תגדל 'atah tigdal
  • את תגדלי 'at tigdeli
  • הוא יגדל hu' yigdal
  • היא תגדל hi' tigdal
  • אנחנו נגדל 'anáchnu nigdal
  • אתם תגדלו 'atem tigdelu
  • הם יגדלו hen yigdelu
  • (אתן/הן תגדלנה 'aten/hen tigdálnah)
אתם זוכרים כל הגזרות בהווה ועבר של פעל, ושיש לכולן את הפרדיגמה לעצמה? נו, הן פה בעתיד עדין, ועדין הן הסיבה של בעיות רבות. נלמד אותם בשעור אחר. עחשיו, אתם צריכים ללמוד את השלםים. י

Vocabulary:
  • פרדיגמה paradigmah "paradigm"
  • לרוע המזל larú`a hamazal* "unfortunately" (lit. "for the illness of luck" - doesn't Hebrew have some of the most poetic idioms?)
  • מסוים mesuyam* "particular, specific"
  • נקראות niqra'ot "they are called"
  • נקראות...על niqra'ot... `al "named after"
  • התגשמות hitgashmut "realization"
  • במקצת bimqetzat* "slightly, a little bit"
  • שכיח shachíach* "common, frequent"
  • כבר kvar* "already"
  • כ-ל-ל K-L-L* "include (pa`al)"
  • ז-כ-ר Z-K-R* "remember (pa`al)"
  • לעצמה le`atzmah "of its own, for itself (fem. sg. only)"
  • עדין `adayn* "still" (adv)
  • בעיה be`ayah* "problem"
  • רב rav* "many" (rav, rabah, rabim, rabot)

Yesh shtey paradigmot le`atid lepa`al, velaru`a hamazal 'i 'efshar ladá`t 'et eyzeh tzarich po`al mesuyam. Hen niqra'ot 'ef`al ve'ef`ol `al hahitgashmut shelahen baguf harishon.

'Ef`ol hu' bimqetzat yoter shachíach:
Shoreshim shekvar yoda`im 'atem kolelim 'et K-T-B, Ch-Sh-B, `-Z-R, S-G-R. 'Et ha`iztur harishon vehasofi tamid machlishim.
Paradigmat 'ef`al shlemah:
Kro'im, zeh domeh le'ef`ol, milvad tnu`ah 'achat. Hashorehim ha'éleh kolelim 'et G-D-L, L-M-D.
'Atem zochrim kol hagzarot bahoveh ve`atid shel pa`al, vsheyesh lekulan 'et haparadigmah le`atsmah? Nu, hen poh ba`atid `adayn, ve`adayn hen hasibah shel be`ayot rabot. Nilmad otam beshi`ur acher. `Achshav, 'atem tzrichim lilmod 'et hashlemim.

3) בקשות Baqashot

בעברית, אתם יכולים לאמור את הפועל ר-צ-ה בעצמו לבקש משהו, לא כמו באנגלית פורמלית: י
אני רוצה יין
'Ani rotzeh yáyin.
"I would like some wine" (lit. "I want wine.")

אם אתם רוצים להיות מעוד מנומסים ופורמליים, תטו את ה-י-ה בעבר ושימו אותו לפני הפועל הווה. י
אני הייתי רוצה יין
'Ani hayíti rotzeh yáyin.
"I would like some wine" (more formal)

Vocabulary:
  • בקשה baqashah* "request" (remember the phrase בבקשה bevaqashah?)
  • א-מ-ר '-M-R* "to say (pa`al)" (לאמור means you say something, while לדבר just refers to the act of speaking, just like in English - you can "say something", but not "talk something".); "to increase, rise (hif`il)" (intransitive; especially for prices; what the connection is to "say", I have no idea)
  • בעצמו be`atzmo "by itself (masc. sg. only)"
  • ב-ק-ש B-Q-Sh* "request (pi`el)"
  • משהו máshhu* "something" (a contracted form of מה שהוא)
  • לא כמו/לא כ lo' kmo/lo' ke-* "unlike"
  • מנומס menumas* "polite, well-mannered"
  • תטו tatu "conjugate" (pl. imperative)
  • שימו simu "put" (pl. imperative)

Be`ivrit, 'atem yecholim le'emor 'et hapo`al R-Tz-H be`atzmo levaqesh máshhu, lo' kmo be'anglit formalit.
'Im 'atem rotzim lihyot me`od menumasim veformaliyim, tatu 'et H-Y-H ba`avar vesimu 'oto lifney hapo`al hoveh.

4) י-כ-ל בעבר ועתיד Y-K-L ba`Avar ve`Atid

כבר יודעים אתם את הפועל המיוחד הזה בהווה: י
  • MSg: יכול yachol
  • FSg: יכולה yecholah
  • MPl: יכולים yecholim
  • FPl: יכולות yecholot
הינה אותו בעבר ועתיד: י
  • אני יכולתי 'ani yachólti
  • אתה יכולת 'atah yachólta
  • את יכולת 'at yacholt
  • הוא יכול hu' yachol
  • היא יכלה hi' yachlah
  • אנחנו יכולנו 'anáchnu yachólnu
  • אתם יכולתם 'atem yachóltem
  • אתן יכולתן 'aten yachólten
  • הם/הן יכלו hem/hen yachlu
  • אני אוכל 'ani 'uchal
  • אתה תוכל 'atah tuchal
  • את תוכלי 'at tuchli
  • הוא יוכל hu' yuchal
  • היא תוכל hi' tuchal
  • אנחנו נוכל 'anáchnu nuchal
  • אתם תוכלו 'atem tuchlu
  • הם יוכלו hem yuchlu
  • (אתן/הן תוכלנה 'aten/hen tuchálnah)

5) האוכל Ha'óchel

כלנו צריכים אוכל, אז הינה מספר אוכלים סדורים על פי סוג. י

פירות
  • פרי pri "fruit" (masculine, plural פירות peyrot)
  • תפוח tapúach "apple" (pl תפוחים tapuchim)
  • תפוז tapuz "orange"
  • אגס 'agas "pear"
  • משמש mishmes "apricot"
  • דובדבן duvdevan "cherry"
  • שזיף shezif "plum"
  • אפרסק 'afarseq "peach"
  • פטל pétel "raspberry"
  • פטל שחור pétel shachor "blackberry" (lit. "black raspberry")
  • חמוצית chamutzit "cranberry"
  • תות tut "strawberry" (masculine, regular plural תותים tutim)
  • ענב `enav "grape" (pl ענבים `anavim)
  • ארבטיח 'arbatíach "watermelon"
  • תמר tamar "date"
  • זית záyit (masculine, pl זיתים zeytim)
  • רימון rimon "pomegranate"
  • לימון limon "lemon"
  • בננה banánah "banana"
  • אננס 'ananas "pineapple"
(לא, אתם לא יכולים לזכור כל המילים האלה)

ירקות
  • ירק yéreq "vegetable" (masculine, pl ירקות yeraqot)
  • סלט salat "salad"
  • מלפפון melafefon "cucumber"
  • פלפל pilpel "pepper"
  • עגבנייה `agvaniyah "tomato"
  • סלרי seleri "celery"
  • שום shum "garlic"
  • בצל batzal "onion" (pl בצלים betzalim)
  • גזר gézer "carrot" (pl גזרים gzarim)
  • תפוח אדמה tapúach 'adamah "potato" (lit. "earth apple", calqued from German I believe)
  • חסה chásah "lettuce"
  • פטריה pitriyah "mushroom"
  • תירס tiras "corn"
בשרים ומוצרים אחרים מבעלי חיים
  • בשר basar "meat"
  • בקר baqar "beef, cow"
  • סטיק steyq "steak"
  • כבש kévesh "mutton, lamb"
  • חזיר chazir "pork, pig"
  • ירך-חזיר yarech-chazir "ham" (lit. "pig-thigh")
  • עוף `of "chicken"
  • ביצה beytzah "egg" (feminine, pl ביצים beytzim)
  • חמאה chem'ah "butter"
  • יוגורט yogurt "yogurt"
  • גבינה gvinah "cheese"
בעברית, בשרים נקראים על החיים שבאים מהם. י

פרות ים
  • פרות ים perot yam "seafood" (lit. "fruit of the sea")
  • דג dag "fish"
  • פורל forel "trout"
  • טונה tunah "tuna"
  • סרטן sartan "crab"
  • לובסטר lobster "lobster"
  • שרימפס shrimps "shrimp"
דגנים ואוכלים אחרים
  • דגן dagan "cereal, grain"
  • לחם léchem "bread" (pl לחמים lechamim)
  • פסטה pastah "pasta"
  • אורז 'orez "rice"
  • מרוק maroq "soup"
קינוחים
  • קינוח qinúach "dessert"
  • עוגה `ugah "cake"
  • שוקולד shoqolad "chocolate"
  • גלידה glidah "ice cream"
  • עוגייה `ugiyah "cookie (US)/biscuit (UK)" (lit. "little cake")
  • מאפה ma'afeh "pastry"
  • פאי pay "pie"
  • פודינג puding "pudding" (or רפרפת rafréfet)
משקים:
  • מים máyim "water" (singular, despite the ending)
  • משקה קל mashqeh qal "soft drink" (lit. "soft beverage")
  • מיץ mitz "juice"
  • יין yáyin "wine" (masc, pl יינות yeynot)
  • בירה birah "beer"
  • משקה לא אלכוהולי mashqeh lo' 'alkoholi "nonalcoholic beverage"
  • תה teh "tea"
  • קפה qafeh "coffee"
  • חלב chalav "milk"

Vocabulary:
  • אוכל 'óchel* "food"
  • אז 'az* "so, then"
  • הינה hineh* "here is, here are"
  • סדור sadur* "ordered"
  • על פי `al pi* "according to, in accordance with" (lit. "to the mouth of", parts of the head are often used to refer to the first of a list, like ראש השנה rosh hashanah "head of the year" (New Years), or לפמי lifney "to the face of" (before)).
  • סוג sug* "type, kind"
  • מוצר mutzar* "product"
  • בעל חיים bá`al cháyim* "animal" (lit. "possessor of life")
  • מהם méhem "from it" (don't worry if the syntax here confuses you - this will be discussed later on)
Kulánu tzrichim 'óchel, 'az hineh mispar 'ochelim sadurim `al pi sug.
(Lo', 'atem lo' yecholim lizkor kol hamilim ha'éleh)
Be`ivrit, basarim niqra`im `al hachayim sheba'im méhem.

EXERCISES:

1) Conjugate S-G-R ('ef`ol) in the future tense of pa`al.

2) Conjugate L-M-D ('ef`al) in the future tense of pa`al.

3) Conjugate '-M-N "believe, trust" in the future tense of hif`il. It is regular except for the addition of an extra /a/ after the 'alef to break up clusters.

4) What did you eat for lunch? Dinner? (Make it up if you want. Or if you haven't eaten lunch or dinner yet.)

5) Come up with a few sentences involving the past and future of "to be able to". Example (translate this one too): When I was young I couldn't drive (לנהוג linhog). When I will be sixteen I will be able to drive. Try to mix up the persons too.

6) Wikipedia time: http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%93%D7% ... 7%91%D7%9F . Transcribe and translate.

The two blanks here represent the binomial names Prunus avium and Prunus cerasus.
ויקופדיה wrote: דובדבן הוא שמם של שני סוגי פרי: דובדבן מתוק (גודגדן), הנקרא בלטינית -----, ודובדבן חמוץ, הנקרא בלטינית ----.י

עץ הדובדבן הינו גדול וחסון ועשוי להתנשא לגובה 18 מטר, אף שבגידולים מסחריים מגבילים את גובה העץ ל-4 מטר.

הדובדבן נפוץ באסיה, באירופה ובאמריקה הצפונית, כאשר בראש רשימת הארצות המגדלות פרי זה נמצאות איראן, טורקיה וארצות הברית.

לשני סוגי הפרי מספר זנים, אך שניהם זקוקים לאקלים קר של בערך 1,000 שעות קור, ושניהם מואבקים על-ידי דבורים. עץ הגודגדן (דובדבן מתוק) זקוק לעץ גודגדן סמוך על מנת להניב פרי.

פירות הדובדבן מהווים מאכל נפוץ. עקב טעם החזק לא נהוג לאכלם לבד, אלא כתוספת לעוגות, סלטי פירות ועוד. דובדבנים נמכרים לעתים קרובות כשהם מגולענים ובתוך סירופ מתוק. בנוסף, נהוג להכין מדובדנים מיצים וריבות. הודות לצבעו האדום העז של הפרי משתמשים בו רבות לקישוט מאכלים. מקובל לשים דובדבן על הקצפת המעטרת עוגות, מילקשייקים וכדומה, ומכאן הביטוי הדובדבן שבקצפת, שפירושו: החלק הטוב ביותר.

בתרבות היפנית, מכונים עץ הדובדבן בכלל, ופריחתו בפרט, סאקורה, מונח שלו השפעה רבה על התרבות והאמנות היפנית.
Vocabulary:
  • שמם shmam "their name"
  • מתוק matoq* "sweet" (metuqah, metuqim, metuqot)
  • גודגדן gudgedan "sweet cherry"
  • נקרא niqra' "called"
  • חמוץ chamutz* "sour"
  • עץ `etz* "tree"
  • הינו hayno (To be honest, I'm not sure what this is doing here - it seems to be like a copula)
  • חסון chasun "strong, powerful"
  • עשוי `asuy* "liable to, able to"
  • להתנשא lehitnase' "to rise"
  • גובה govah "height" (pronounce the /h/ here)
  • אף ש 'af she- "although, except that"
  • גידול gidul "crops" (used in a broader sense than in English)
  • מסחרי mischari "commercial"
  • ג-ב-ל G-B-L* "restrict (hif`il)"
  • נפוץ nafutz "common, widespread"
  • אסיה 'asiyah* "Asia"
  • אירופה 'Eyrópah* "Europe"
  • אמריקה הצפונית 'Ameriqah Hatzfonit* "North America"
  • ראש rosh* (here, translate it as "top")
  • רשימה reshimah "list"
  • מגדלות megadlot "growing" (here's an example of the present participle being used an an adjective)
  • זה zeh* "is" (demonstrative pronouns are also sometimes used as copulas, like the personal pronouns)
  • נמצאות nimtza'ot "are located"
  • איראן 'Iran "Iran"
  • טורקיה Turqiyah "Turkey"
  • זן zan "species, strain"
  • אך 'ach "however"
  • שניהם shneyhem "two of them" (yes, you can add personal endings to numbers too)
  • זקוקים zaquqim "are in need of"
  • אקלים 'aqlim "climate" (singular, despite appearances)
  • קר qar* "cold"
  • בערך be`érech* "approximately"
  • קור qor* "cold, cold weather"
  • מואבקים mu'arbaqim "are pollinated"
  • על ידי `al yadey "by, with the help of" (lit. "by the hand of"; can be written both with and without a dash)
  • דבורה dvorah* "bee" (fem, pl דבורים dvorim)
  • סמוך samuch "adjacent, nearby"
  • מנה manah "portion"
  • להניב leheniv "to bear (fruit, products)"
  • ה-וו-ה H-V-H* "constitute (pi`el)" (a variant of ה-י-ה)
  • מאכל ma'achal* "food" (a synonym of אוכל)
  • עקב `éqev* "following, due to, because of"
  • טעם ta`am* "taste" (טעםם ta`amam "their taste")
  • חזק chazaq* "strong"
  • נהוג nahug "customary, acceptable, common"
  • לבד levad* "alone, by itself, without anything else added"
  • אלא 'ela'* "but, but rather"
  • תוספת toséfet* "ingredient, addition"
  • עוד `od* "more (as a pronoun)"
  • נמכרים nimkarim "are sold"
  • לעתים le`itim* "sometimes, occasionally"
  • מגולען megul`an "pitted"
  • בתוך betuch* "inside"
  • סירופ sirop "syrop" (notice how the pey at the end isn't in it's final form! This is to prevent the lenited pronunciation /f/)
  • בנוסף benosaf* "in addition"
  • להכין lehechin "to prepare"
  • ריבה ribah* "jam"
  • הודות ל hodot le-* "thanks to"
  • צבע tzava`* "color" (צבעו tzva`o "its color")
  • אדום 'adom* "red"
  • עז `az* "strong" (of colors)
  • משתמשים בו mishtamshim bo "it is used" (lit. "they make use in it")
  • רבות ravot* "much, a lot, often" (as an adverb)
  • קישוט qishut* "decoration"
  • מקובל mequbal* "popular, customary"
  • על `al* "toward" (this preposition has loads of different meanings, all somehow related to "toward". In this case, "into" may be the best translation)
  • קצפת qatzéfet* "whipped cream"
  • מעטר me`ater "adorning" (another present participle)
  • מילקשייק milqsheyq* "milkshake"
  • וכדומה vechadomeh* "et cetera"
  • מכאן mikan* "from here, from this"
  • ביטוי bituy* "expression, saying"
  • שפירושו shepirosho* "which means, whose meaning is" (lit. "that its meaning is" - the awkwardness of this construction can be explained the same way as that מהם méhem "from it" in the lesson above)
  • חלק chéleq* "portion, part"
  • תרבות tarbut* "culture"
  • יפני yapani* "Japanese"
  • מכון makon "base, foundation"
  • מכונים mechunim "is called, is nicknamed"
  • בכלל bichlal* "in general"
  • פריחה prichah "blossom" (פריחתו prichato "its blossoms")
  • בפרט bifrat* "especially, in particular"
  • סאקורה saqurah "Sakura"
  • מונח munach "term, expression, word"
  • שלו shelo "to which there is" (in this case, it's not של+ו "of it", but ש+לו "that to it")
  • השפעה haspa`ah "influence"
  • אמנות 'amanut* "art"

This turned out to be a good Wikipedia article to choose. You even got to learn a new Hebrew idiom! :)

Take note of the grammar you see used. There were a lot more possessive endings here than before. Mark which nouns you see this endings on - as I said, not all nouns can comfortably take them in modern Hebrew, but if you see another noun using them, go ahead and add them to "your list" of nouns that may. Also notice how you can drop יש if it's implied in a different manner.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Hey, I don't mean to be pushy, but is anyone there? It's been over a week.

If you've been a little busy recently with other stuff, that's fine, but I'd like to know if you're still interested! :)

Xonen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Xonen »

*Raises hand.*

And hey, I've even managed to catch up! :) At least temporarily, and in the sense that I've read all the lessons. I am indeed quite busy with other stuff right now, so doing the exercises properly may be out of my reach for a while yet… But I'll try to hang on.
[quote="Funkypudding"]Read Tuomas' sig.[/quote]

Tuli
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tuli »

I'm still here. :)

I just got in from out of town; I'll edit the answers for Lesson 18 into this post once I've typed them up.

And here they are:
Answers for Lesson 18:

Exercise 1:
אסגור ‘esgor
תסגור tisgor
תסגרי tisgeri
יסגור yisgor
תסגור tisgor
נסגור nisgor
תסגרו tisgeru
יסגרו yisgeru
(תסגורנה) (tisgórnah)

Exercise 2:
אלמד ‘elmad
תלמד tilmad
תלמדי tilmedi
ילמד yilmad
תלמד tilmad
נלמד nilmad
תלמדו tilmedu
ילמדו yilmedu
(תלמדנה) (tilmádnah)

Exercise 3:
אאמין ‘a’amin
תאמין ta’amin
תאמיני ta’amini
יאמין ya’amin
תאמין ta’amin
נאמין na’amin
תאמינו ta’amínu
יאמינו ya’amínu
(תאמננה) (ta’aménnah)

Exercise 4:
לארוחת צהוריים, אכלתי שרימפס ולובסטר בפאי. י Le’aruchat tzohoráyim, ‘achálti shrimps velobster bepay.

לארוחת ערב, אכלתי סלט ופסטה עם סטיק וגבינה מהמסעדה גינת זית. י Le’aruchat `érev, ‘achálti salat vepastah `im steyq vegvinah mehamis`adah Ginat Záyit (Olive Garden).

Exercise 5:
כשהייתי צעיר, לא יכולתי לנהוג. י Kshehayíti tza`ir, lo’ yachólti linhog.

כשאהיה בן שש-עשרה, אוכל לנהוג. י Kshe’ehyeh ben shesh-`esreh, ‘uchal linhog.
לרוע המזל, לא יכלה להבין את הסיבה לעזור מהבית. י Larú`a hamazal, lo’ yachlah lehavin ‘et hasibah la`azor mehabáyit.

Exercise 6:
Duvdevan hu’ shmam shel shney sugey pri: duvdevan matoq (gudgedan), haniqra’ belatinit Prunus avium, veduvdevan chamutz, haniqra’ belatinit Prunus cerasus.

`Etz haduvdevan hayno gadol vechasun, ve`asuy lehitnase’ legovah 18 méter, ‘af shebegidulim mischariyim magbilim ‘et govah ha`etz le-4 méter.

Haduvdevan nafutz be’Asiyah, be’Eyrópah, vebe’Ameriqah Hatzfonit, ke’asher barosh reshimat ba’aratzot hamegadlot pri ze nimtza’ot ‘Iran, Turqiyah, ve’Artzot Habrit.

Lashney sugey hapri mispar zanim, ‘ach shneyhem zaquqim le’aqlim qar shel be`érech 1,000 sha`ot qor, veshneyhem mu’arbaqim `al-yadey dvorim. `Etz hagudgedan (duvdevan matoq) zaquq le`etz gudgedan samuch `al manat leheniv pri.

Peyrot haduvdevan mehavin ma’achal nafutz. `Éqev ta’amam hachazaq lo’ nahug la’achalam (מה התנועות פה?) levad, ‘ela’ toséfet le`ugot, salatey peyrot ve`od. Duvdevanim nimkarim le`itim qrovot kshehem megul`an vebetuch sirop matoq. Benosaf, nahug lehechin miduvdevanim mitzim veribot. Hodot letzva`o ha’adom ha`az shel hapri. Mishtamshim bo ravot leqish;ut ma’achalim. Mequbal lasim duvdevan `al haqatzéfet hame`atéret `ugot, milqsheyqim vechadomah, vemikan habituy haduvdevan shebaqatzéfet, shepirosho: hachéleq hatov byoter.

Batarbut hayapanit, mechunim `etz haduvdevan bichlal, veprichato bifrat, saqurah, munach shelo haspa`ah rabah `al hatarbut veha’amanut hayapanit.

Cherry is the name of two kinds of fruit: sweet cherry, called in Latin Prunus avium, and sour cherry, called in Latin Prunus cerasus.

The cherry tree is big and strong and can rise to a height of 18 meters, although in commercial crops the height of the tree is reduced to 4 meters.

The cherry tree is common in Asia, Europe and North America, for example Iran, Turkey, and the United States are located at the top of the list of the countries growing the fruit. (I’m not really sure about this paragraph)

The two kinds of fruit have a number of species; however, two of them need a cold climate of approximately 1,000 hours of cold weather, and two of them are pollinated by bees. The sweet-cherry tree needs a nearby sweet-cherry tree in order to bear fruit.

The cherry fruits constitute a common food. Because of their strong taste, it is not customary to eat them alone, but rather as an ingredient for cakes, fruit salads, and more. Cherries are occasionally sold near where they are pitted, and inside is a sweet syrop. In addition, it is common to prepare juices and jams from cherries. Thanks to the strong red color of the fruit, it is used often for food decoration. It is popular to put cherries on the whipped cream adorning cakes, milkshakes, etc, and from this comes the expression “The cherry that is in the whipped cream,” which means: the best part.

In Japanese culture, the cherry tree in general, and its blossoms in particular, is called sakura, an expression that has a lot of influence on the culture and art of Japan.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Tuli wrote:(תאמננה) (ta’aménnah)
Oh, heh, forgot to tell you - you can remove one of the nun there. It's just תאמנה ta'aménah, as one of the nun has merged with the other.
Tuli wrote:לארוחת צהוריים, אכלתי שרימפס ולובסטר בפאי. י Le’aruchat tzohoráyim, ‘achálti shrimps velobster bepay.
Firstly, "lunch" here should be definite (since it's a specific lunch you're talking about). English is a bad influence here, since we say "For lunch" rather than "*for the lunch". So it should be la'aruchat hatzohoráyim.

And secondly, shrimp and lobster pie?! :| :P
Tuli wrote:לארוחת ערב, אכלתי סלט ופסטה עם סטיק וגבינה מהמסעדה גינת זית. י Le’aruchat `érev, ‘achálti salat vepastah `im steyq vegvinah mehamis`adah Ginat Záyit (Olive Garden).
:P
Tuli wrote: Kshe’ehyeh ben shesh-`esreh, ‘uchal linhog.
And this reminds me, a little thing about formal Hebrew: כש/כאשר kse-/ke'asher you generally only use in the past or present. In the future, you use לכש- lichshe-: לכשאהיה בן... lichshe'ehyeh ben.... Try saying that ten times fast :?

Colloquially, though, you can get away with just using כאשר. This is another one of those formal/colloquial splits you often see...
Tuli wrote:לרוע המזל, לא יכלה להבין את הסיבה לעזור מהבית. י Larú`a hamazal, lo’ yachlah lehavin ‘et hasibah la`azor mehabáyit.
Hmm. I don't quite follow you here. Why are you using "mehabáyit"?
Tuli wrote:Haduvdevan nafutz be’Asiyah, be’Eyrópah, vebe’Ameriqah Hatzfonit, ke’asher barosh reshimat ba’aratzot hamegadlot pri ze nimtza’ot ‘Iran, Turqiyah, ve’Artzot Habrit.
Alright, I want to show you a little bit about the conjugation ve-...

Colloquially, yes, you can say vebe- for "and in [a]", but that sounds kind of bad, at least to me.

In more formal language, the rules behind the exact pronunciation of ו ve- are somewhat complex, but here is a very brief summary of the most common rules, the ones you should probably know.
  • When the word begins with a gutteral consonant (in this case, ח or ע) which is then followed by /a/, the conjugation is usually pronounced "va-". You have already seen this in the time expression וחצי vachátzi "and a half". See the bottom of this post if you really want to know the rules behind the use of va-.
  • Before consonant+shva, the ve- becomes u-. You see this most often with the indefinite prepostions le- and be-. So you would say ובאמריקה uve'Ameriqah[/i] for "and in America". Actually, וב can be pronounced two ways - uvi- and uve-. The rules are basically the same for me- vs. mi-. Use /e/ before ה, ח, א, ע and /i/ otherwise. When the preposition is 'definite', it's regular: ובבנין vebabinyan "and in the building".
  • Before a word that begins with yod+shva (ie, ye-), the whole thing becomes vi-. So you have ירושלים Yerushaláyim (Jerusalem), and וירושלים virushaláyim "and Jerusalem".

Yes, formal Hebrew can be a pain at times, but it's a good idea to know these basic rules here. Plus they sound better in your speech.

And while we're on the topic of really small details, there's one more thing I'd like to add. The prefixed ה ha- I taught you is always pronounced ha-. However, there's one little exception - if the word already begins with ha, the article is then pronounced he- through a sort of dissimilation: הרים harim "[some] mountains", ההרים heharim "the mountains".

But I digress...

Tuli wrote:la’achalam (מה התנועות פה?)

Oh, whoops. This is another feature of formal/Biblical Hebrew you may often see written but rarely spoken. It's le'echolam. Look familiar at all? It's the infinitive le'echol "to eat" with the ending -am. Yes, verbs can also take these some pronominal endings, in which case they function as a direct object. So le'echolam is the same as le'echol 'otam "to eat them". These suffixes take slightly different forms than the possessive ones that go on other parts of speech, so don't worry too much about them yet.

Tuli wrote:The cherry tree is common in Asia, Europe and North America, for example Iran, Turkey, and the United States are located at the top of the list of the countries growing the fruit. (I’m not really sure about this paragraph)

You seem to have understood it correctly. The word order in this paragraph is what's confusing. I'd translate it like this: The cherry tree is common throughout Asia, Europe, and North America, and at the top of the list of countries growing the fruit are Iran, Turkey, and the United States.

Nice job with the translation! I realize I have to provide a large chunk of the vocabulary, but overall how challenging do you think these are?

Okay, some slightly more detailed rules.

When to use "va-" actually depends on the niqudot (vowel points) that are used. In Biblical Hebrew, all of the niqudot were pronounced differently, but in modern Hebrew they all have merged into a basic five-vowel system, /a e i o u/. For example, four of the original points are now pronounced as plain /e/: tzeyrey, segol, chataf segol, and shva, originally pronounced /E:/, /e:/, /E/, and /@/, respectively. Have a look at the diagram from Omniglot: http://www.omniglot.com/images/writing/hebrew_vwl.gif (the second row of IPA representing the original pronunciation).

Now, three of the vowel points are called "compound vowels", formed by another point combined with shva: chataf segol, chataf patach, and chataf qamatz, pronounced /e/, /a/, and /o/ respectively in modern Hebrew.

Now, when ve- is added to a word beginning with a gutteral chet or `ayin that is immediately followed by a compound vowel, the vowel of the ve- changes to match the 'uncompounded' vowel. For example, under the chet of "chatzi" is chataf patach, meaning the vowel of ve- must become patach, meaning it is pronounced /va/. If the vowel is chataf segol, the vowel in ve- becomes segol, which in modern Hebrew doesn't affect the pronunciation (the 'default' vowel of ve- is shva). Unfortunately in modern Hebrew, where chataf patach and the other "a"s (qamatz and patach) are pronounced the same, you can't know whether or not to use va- or ve-. Like, you have to say "vechamesh" (and five...), because the vowel under the chet in this case is qamatz, which doesn't trigger any change. Confusing, eh? This is why using all of the changes is a mark of highly educated speech.

Tuli
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tuli »

The shrimp and lobster pie was actually one of the many dinners I had on vacation. :)

I was intending "leave from the house," but it seems "leave the house" would have been better.

And I completely forgot ve- changing before be-. :oops:

Arabic similarly uses the possessive endings to indicate the direct object on the verb. What confused me was the vav that wasn't there. :)

And yes, the word order in that paragraph was very confusing. The translation exercises are I'd say the hardest things I've done so far, but they're some of the most fun, too.

The vowel points make more sense now, but they're still crazy. :) Sound changes do fun things to writing systems.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Tuli wrote:The shrimp and lobster pie was actually one of the many dinners I had on vacation. :)
How does that... work?
Tuli wrote:I was intending "leave from the house," but it seems "leave the house" would have been better.
Oh dear. I made a little typo in Lesson 8 (now fixed...)

The root for "leave" is ע-ז-ב (`-Z-B), not ע-ז-ר (`-Z-R). I wrote it correctly in the text in that lesson, but mistyped it in the vocab.

לעזור la`azor actually means "to help". That's why I was so confused.

Sorry about that! A little slip of my fingers, I guess...
Tuli wrote:The vowel points make more sense now, but they're still crazy. :) Sound changes do fun things to writing systems.
Indeed. A lot of the 'irregularities' we've done would make a lot more sense if Hebrew still had its original length distinction (originally both on consonants and vowels). Now they're gone, and have left a mess in their wake.

Then again, in some respects it has simplified things a bit. For example, we only have two forms of the definite article to deal with now (ha- and the rarer he-). Medieval/Biblical Hebrew had four or five (iirc), most of which have just merged together to form ha-.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

<b>Lesson 19 / השעור התשעה-עשר / Hashi`ur Hatish`ah-`Asar</b>

1) גזרות ל"ח ו-ל"ע - עתיד לפעל Gzarot Lamed"Chet ve-Lamed"`Ayin - `Atid lePa`al

הפועלים האלה תמיד משתמשים במשקל "אפעל". י

ש-מ-ע: י
  • אני אשמע 'ani 'eshma`
  • אתה תשמע 'atah tishma`
  • את תשמעי 'at tishme`i
  • הוא ישמע hu' yishma`
  • היא תשמע hi' tishma`
  • אנחנו נשמע 'anáchnu nishma`
  • אתם תשמעו 'atem tishme`u
  • הם ישמעו hem yishme`u
  • (אתן/הן תשמענה 'aten/hen tishmá`nah)
Vocabulary:
  • משקל mishqal* "pattern, meter" (this is the usual term for describing Hebrew morphological patterns)

Hapo`alim ha'éleh tamid mishtamshim bamishqal "'ef`al".

Sh-M-`:

2) גזרת פ"א - עתיד לפעל Gizrat Pey"Alef - `Atid lePa`al

פועלים פ"א מאבדים את ה-"א" בעתיד (אבל עדין כותבים אותו) י

עם א-כ-ל
  • אני אוכל 'ani 'ochal
  • אתה תאכל 'atah tochal
  • את תאכלי 'at tochli
  • הוא יאכל hu' yochal
  • היא תאכל hi' tochal
  • אנחנו נאכל 'anáchnu nochal
  • אתם תאכלו 'atem tochlu
  • הם יאכלו hem yochlu
  • (אתן/הן תאכלנה 'atem/hen tochálnah)
שימו לב לכתיב! ה-/ו/ נכתב עם "א" במקום הזה. י

Vocabulary:
  • א-ב-ד '-B-D* "to lose (something) (pi`el)"
  • שיםו simu "put!" (pl imperative)
  • לשים לב lasim lev* "to pay attention (to)" (lit. "to put heart (to)")
  • כתיב ktiv* "spelling"
  • מקום maqom* "place" (pl. מקומות meqomot)
Po`alim pey"'alef me'abdim 'et ha'alef ba`atid ('aval `adayn kotvim 'oto)
`Im '-K-L:
Simu lev lachtiv! Havav nichtav `im 'alef bemqom hazeh.

3) גזרות ע"ו ו-ע"י - עתיד לפעל Gzarot `Ayin"Vav ve-`Ayin"Yod - `Atid lePa`al

העיצור השני מבוטא כתנועה בעתיד, כמו במקור. אחרת השורש לא משתנה. י

ק-ו-ם
  • אני אקום 'ani 'aqum
  • אתה תקום 'atah taqum
  • את תקומי 'at taqumi
  • הוא יקום hu' yaqum
  • היא תקום hi' taqum
  • אנחנו נקום 'anáchnu naqum
  • אתם תקומו 'atem taqumu
  • הם יקומו hem yaqumu
  • (אתן/הן תקומנה 'aten/hen taqúmnah)
ש-י-ר
  • אני אשיר 'ani 'ashir
  • אתה תשיר 'atah tashir
  • את תשירי 'at tashiri
  • הוא ישיר hu' yashir
  • היא תשיר hi' tashir
  • אנחנו נשיר 'anáchnu nashir
  • אתם תשירו 'atem tashiru
  • הם ישירו hem yashiru
  • (אתן/הן תשרנה 'aten/hen tashérnah) - שימו לב לתנועה! י
לבוא שלם, כמו ע"ו, מלבד ה-ו מבוטא כ-/וֹ/ במקום /וּ/, והרבות נכתב "תבאנה" י

Vocabulary:
  • מבוטא mebuta' "is pronounced"
  • מקור maqor* "infinitive"
  • אחרת 'achéret* "otherwise..."
  • משתנה mishtaneh "change (intrans)"
  • במקום bimqom* "instead of" (the same as bemaqom, although the pronunciation differs because this is a construct. The original qamatz in "maqom" becomes shva in the construct (meqom), and with the prefixed be-, the shva drops, yielding bimqom.)
  • רבות ravot* "feminine plural" (four useful terms to know: יחיד yachid "masculine singular", יחידה yechidah "feminine singular", רבים rabim "masculine plural", and רבות rabot "feminine plural")
Ha`itzur hasheni mebuta' ketnu`ah ba`atid, kmo bamaqor. 'Achéret hashóresh lo' mishtaneh.
Q-V-M:
S-Y-M:
Lavo' shalem, kmo `ayin"vav, milvad havav mebuta' ke-/o/ bimqom /u/, veharavot nichtav "tabónah"
(with an 'alef)

4) לאמור מול להגיד Le'emor mul Lehagid

לאמור, כאתם כבר למדתם (אני מאמין) משמש לדבר על מה שמשהו אמר. לדבר משמש לאמור שאתם מדברים. לאמור שלם בהווה ובעבר: י

אומר, אומרת, אומרים, אומרות 'omer, 'oméret, 'omrim, 'omrot
אמרתי, אמרת, אמרת, אמר, אמרה, אמרנו, אמרתם, אמרתן, אמרו 'amárti, 'amárta, 'amart, 'amar, 'amrah, 'amárnu, 'amártem, 'amárten, 'amru

אבל על תשתמשו בו בעתיד (אומר, תאמר, תאמרי, וכולי)! אלה רק נמצאים בתנ"ך. במקוםם, צריכיפ להשתמש בפועל להגיד (הפעיל), גזרת פ"ן. י
  • אני אגיד 'ani 'agid
  • אתה תגיד 'atah tagid
  • את תגידי 'at tagídi
  • הוא יגיד hu' yagid
  • היא תגיד hi' tagid
  • אנחנו נגיד 'anáchnu nagid
  • אתם תגידו 'atem tagídu
  • הם יגידו hem yagídu
בדרך באותו, להגיד לא משמש בהווה או בעבר בעברית מודרנית. י

Vocabulary:
  • א-מ-ר '-M-R* "to say" (used like in English, to describe exactly what is said, as opposed to "to talk/speak"; sorry the description above in Hebrew sounds so weird...)
  • משמש meshamesh "is used"
  • על תשתמשו `al tishtamshu "don't use!"
  • וכולי vekuley* "et cetera"
  • נמצאים nimtza'im "are found"
  • תנ"ך Tanach* "Tanakh, Bible" (an acronym for "תורה, נביאים, כתובים" Torah, Nevi'im, Ketuvim "Torah, Prophets, Writings")
  • במקומם bimqomam - you should be able to figure this out
  • להגיד lehagid* "tell", used as a suppletive form of '-M-R in the future
  • בדרך באותו bdérech be'oto "in the same way" (This construction will be explained at a later time)
Le'emor, ke'atem kvar lamádtem ('ani ma'amin), meshamesh ledaber `al mah shemáshhu 'amar. Ledaber meshamesh le'emor she'atem medabrim. Le'emor shalem bahoveh veba`avar.
'Aval `al tishtamshu bo ba`atid ('omar, tomar, tomri, vekuley)! 'Éleh raq nimtza'im beTanach. Bimqomam, tzrichim lehishtamesh bapo`al lehagid (hif`il), gizrat pey"nun.
Bdérech be'oto, lehagid lo' meshamesh bahoveh 'o ba`avar be`ivrit modérnit.

5) צבעים Tzva`im

בואו נלמד כמה מילים לצבעים בעברית. י
  • Red: אדום 'adom ('adumah, 'adumim, 'adumot)
  • Orange: כתום katom (ktumah, ktumim, ktumot)
  • Yellow: צהוב tzahov (tzehubah, tzehubim, tzehubot)
  • Green: ירוק yaroq (yeruqah, yeruqim, yeruqot)
  • Blue: כחול kachol (kchulah, kchulim, kchulot)
  • Violet: סגול sagol (sgulah, sgulim, sgulot)
  • Black: שחור shachor (shchorah, shchorim, shchorot)
  • White: לבן levan (levanah, levanim, levanot)
  • Pink: ורוד varod (vrudah, vrudim, vrudot)
  • Brown: חום chum (chumah, chumim, chumot)
  • Grey: אפור 'afor ('afurah, 'afurim, 'afurot)
אתם רואים משהו מעניין על התנועות? כן, התנועות לא משתנות ממילה למילה! הן רק משתנות קצת עקב מין ומספר. י

מרבית המילים האלה באה משורש (או עשתה שורש חדש) י
  • אדם 'adam "human being", אודם 'odem "ruby"
  • כתם kétem "stain, patch of color"
  • ירק yéreq "vegetable, vegatation"
  • שחר shachar "dawn"
  • ללבן lelaben "to heat until white-hot" (מלבן, מלבנת melaben, melabénet, ...)
  • ורד véred "rose"
  • אפר 'éfer "ash", לאפר le'aper "to add makeup" (מאפר, מאפרת me'aper, me'apéret, ...), אפר 'afer "blindfold"

Vocabulary:
  • צבע tzéva`* "color"
  • בואו נלמד bo'u nilmad "let's learn"
  • כמה kámah* "a few, some"
  • מעניין me`anyen* "interesting" (fem. sg. מעניינת me`anyénet)
  • קצת qtzat* "a little bit, slightly"
  • עקב `éqev* "because of, due to"
  • מרבית marbit* "most of"

Bo'u nilmad kámah milim letzeva'im be`ivrit.
'Atem ro'im máshhu me`anyen `al hatnu`ot? Ken, hatnu`ot lo' mishtanot mimilah lemilah! Hen raq mishtanot qtzat `éqev min vemispar.

Marbit hamilim ha'éleh bá'ah mishóresh ('o `astah shóresh chadash):

6) כיוונים Kivunim

הסופית "-ה" (שארית יחסת המושא הישיר העתיק) מציינת את כיוון התזוזה. לה אין ההטעמה. י

המילים הכווניים השכיחים: י
  • למעלה lemá`lah "upward" (מעל me`al = "above, on top of")
  • למטה lemátah "downward"
  • שמאלה smólah "to the left" (שמאלי smali "left (adj)")
  • ימינה yemínah "to the right" (ימני yemani "right (adj)")
  • קדימה qadímah "forward, onward"
  • אחורה 'achórah "backward"

כיווני המצפן: י
  • צפונה tzafónah "northward, northbound" (צפון tzafon "north", צפוני tzfoni "north (adj)")
  • דרומה darómah "southward, southbound" (דרום darom "south", דרומי dromi "south (adj)")
  • מזרחה mizráchah "eastward" (מזרח mizrach "east", מזרחי mizrachi "east (adj)")
  • מערבה ma`arábah "westward" (מערב ma`arav "west", מערבי ma`aravi "west (adj)")

כיוון אחר שאתם תראו תכופות: י
  • הביתה habáytah "homeward, to home"

הרבה אחרים נמצאים בתנ"ך, אבל אלה פחות שכיחים כיום. בנוסף, השם "לילה" היה במקור מילת מקום, אבל עכשיו נחשב למילה חדשה. זה סיבה להטעמה המוזרה והמין הזכרי. המילה המקורי היא ליל. י

Vocabulary:
  • כיוון kivun* "direction"
  • שארית she'erit "remnent"
  • יחסת מושא ישיר yachasat musha' yashir "accusative case" (lit. "case of the direct object" - musha' = object, yashir = direct)
  • עתיק `atiq* "ancient"
  • צ-י-ן Tz-Y-N* "mark, indicate (pi`el)"
  • תזוזה tezuzah "movement"
  • הטעמה hat`amah* "stress" (takes the definite article ha-, not he-)
  • כיווני kivuni "directional" (adj)
  • מצפן matzpen* "compass"
  • תראו tir'u "will see" ('atem) - we'll learn the pa`al L"H future next lesson
  • תכופות techufot* "often, frequently"
  • כיום kayom* "nowadays, at present"
  • בנוסף benosaf* "in addition, additionally"
  • במקור bemaqor* "originally" (lit. "in origin")
  • נחשב ל nechshav le- "is considered, is thought as" (you know the root, just not the binyan here)
  • מוזר muzar* "strange, odd, unusual"
  • זכרי zechari* "masculine" (only used as an adjective, never a noun)
  • מקורי meqori* "original"
  • ליל láyil "night" (This is the origin form, láylah being in the accusative case. Now the word láyil is restricted to poetry, láylah having replaced it completely. This also explains why láylah is declined the exact same way as báyit (eg, the construct singular leyl/beyt), because they had the same vowel pattern. The only exceptions now are in the nominative, where the forms are now, of course, láylah and leylot instead of the original láyil and lalim (cf. báyit and batim).

Hasofit "-ah" (she'erit yachasat hamusha' hayashir ha`atiqah) metziyénet 'et kivun hatzuzah. Lah 'eyn hahat`amah.

Hamilim hakivuniyot hashachichot:
Kivuney hamatzpen:
Kivun 'acher she'atem tir'u techufot:
Harbeh 'acherim nimtza'im beTanach, 'aval 'éleh pachot shachichim kayom. Benosaf, hashem "láylah" hayah bemaqor milat maqom, 'aval `achshav nechshav lemilah chadashah. Zeh sibah lahat`amah hamuzarah vehamin hazchari. Hamilah hamqori hi' "láyil".

EXERCISES:

1) Conjugate לשלוח lishlóach "send" in the pa`al future.

2) Conjugate לאהוב le'ehov "love" in the pa`al future. It is a regular Pey"'Alef verb, but with an extra /a/ added to break up clusters that the hey would otherwise form.

3) Conjugate לרוץ larutz "run" in the pa`al future.

4) Conjugate לבוא lavo' in the pa`al future.

5) Describe the flags of the following countries, in complete sentences:

And here are some words that might help:
  • דגל dégel "flag"
  • פס pas "stripe"
  • כוכב kochav "star"
  • מגן דוד magen David "Star of David" (lit. "Shield of David")
  • עליון `elyon "top, uppermost"
  • אמצעי 'emtza`i "middle, central"
  • תחתון tachton "bottom"
  • מסודר, מסודרת, מסודרים, מסודרות mesudar, mesudéret, mesudarim, mesudarot "is/are arranged"
  • עגול `igul "circle"
  • רקע reqa` "background"

6) On http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9B%D7%97%D7%95%D7%9C , there is a list of things the color blue often represents. Let's translate that. It's the bulleted list. I'm sorry that I can paste it here, though, because the bullets and quotes together with a board that has enough trouble supporting RtL writing, well, it doesn't look pretty. Mainly because the quotes go flying every which way.

Vocabulary:
  • צווארון tzava'ron "collar"
  • פועל po`el* "worker"
  • ייצור yitzur "manufacturing, industry"
  • ב-ד-ל B-D-L* "to differentiate, tell apart, separate (hif`il)
  • מהנדס mehandes* "engineer"
  • מנהל menahel* "manager, administrator"
  • חברה chevrah* "company, business" (cf. חבר chaver "friend, companion")
  • יבמ IBM
  • עמוק `amoq "deep"
  • מחשב machshev* "computer"
  • נ-צ-ח N-Tz-Ch* "beat, win (pi`el)" (lenatzéach)
  • שחמט shachmat* "chess"
  • גארי קספרוב Garry Kasparov
  • מוות mavet "death"
  • מסך masach "screen, curtain (at a theatre)"
  • קיצור qitzur "abbreviation" (בקיצור = "for short")
  • תקלה taqalah "error, fault"
  • מופיע mofi`a "appears"
  • מערכת הפעלה ma`aréchet haf`alah "operating system"
  • חלונות chalonot "Windows" (חלון chalon* "window")
  • לאחר le'achar* "after"
  • הופעה hofa`ah "appearance" (הופעתו hofa`ato "its appearance")
  • לחיצה lechitzah "press, push" (this is a noun!)
  • צעד tza`ad "step, pace, stage"
  • נכון nachon* "true, correct, logical" (or in this case, "required")
  • סרט séret* "film, tape" (Hmm. Sorry, I didn't realize this symbolism of "blue" would be here...)
  • מחשבה machshavah "thought"
  • זימה zimah "lust"
  • ע-ס-ק `-S-Q* "occupy, keep busy (hif`il)" (lehe`esiq)
  • אותו 'oto - This redundant pronoun in relative clauses was mentioned last lesson. Don't worry about it for now.
  • מקרה miqreh "example, instance, case"
  • נוסף nosaf "additional"
  • שבהם shebahem "in which" (lit. "that in them", again, ignore the redundant pronoun)
  • הצמדה hatzmadah "attaching, attachment"
  • תואר to'ar "title, rank"
  • ר-מ-ז R-M-Z* "hint, imply" (pa`al; pi`el has a similar meaning, but is more literary; לרמז על = "hint at, hint that")
  • דבר davar* "thing, object"
  • קשור qashur "tied" (I don't understand the meaning of this phrase either; it must be some sort of expression)
  • דם dam "blood"
  • אצולה 'atzulah "royalty, nobility"
  • תוצרת totzéret "products, production"
  • הארץ ha'áretz* - Remember, "The Land" in Hebrew usually refers to Israel
  • צה"ל Tzahal* "Israeli Defense Force" (an acronym of צבא ההגנה לישראל Tzva' Hahaganah leYisra'el "Force for the Defense of Israel")
  • אנשי 'anashey* "people" (the construct form of אנשים)
  • חיל האוויר Cheyl Ha'avir* "Israeli Air Force" (cháyil = corps, army, 'avir = air)
  • בשל beshel* "because of, as a result of, on account of"
  • בולט bolet "prominent"
  • מדים madim "uniform" (always plural - madeyhem = "their uniforms"; we'll learn plural possessive endings later on)
  • כוחות היבשה kochot hayabashah "land forces"
  • מזוהה mezoheh "is identified"
  • מדינות medinah* "country, nation"
  • משטרה mishtarah* "police" (remember שוטר shoter "policeman"?)
  • חולצה chultzah* "shirt, blouse"
  • מיוחד myuchad* "special" (myuchédet, myuchedim, myuchedot)
  • תנועות הנוער tnu`at no`ar "youth movement"
  • הנוער העובד והלומד Hano`ar Ha`oved Vehalomed "The Working and Learning Youth", a Zionist youth movement
  • השומר הצעיר Hashomer Hatza`ir "The Young Guard" - ditto
  • המחנות העולים Hamachanot Ha`olim "The Immigrant Army" - ditto
  • לכל אחת מ lechol 'achat mi- "for every one of"
  • תנועה tnu`ah "movement" (in addition to "vowel")
  • סימן siman "mark, symbol"
  • יכר heyker "recognition" (from the root נ-כ-ר - remember how weak that /n/ is here)
  • שרוך sroch "lace"
  • כפתור kaftur "button"
  • בהתאמה behat'amah* "respectively"
  • נייר nyar* "paper" (נייר לקמוס = "Lackmus paper" (pH paper))
  • אינדיקטור 'indiqator
  • חומצה chumtzah "acid"
  • משתנה mishtaneh "changes"
  • ר-א-ה R-'-H "show, demonstrate (hif`il)" (lit. "cause to see" - you know this root)
  • נוכחות nochchut "presence"

Also, just as a sidenote. I just realized I've been misspelling `achshav "now" this whole time. It should be spelled with a kaf, not a chet: עכשיו. Modern Hebrew's spelling really can be confusing at times...

Tuli
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tuli »

Answers for Lesson 19:

Exercise 1:
אשלח ‘eshlach
תשלח tishlach
תשלחי tishlechi
ישלח yishlach
תשלח tishlach
נשלח nishlach
תשלחו tishlechu
ישלחו yishlechu
תשלחנה tishláchnah

Exercise 2:
אוהב ‘ohav
תאהב tohav
תאהבי tohavi
יאהב yohav
תאהב tohav
נאהב nohav
תאהבו tohavu
יאהבו yohavu
תאהבנה tohávnah

Exercise 3:
ארוץ ‘arutz
תרוץ tarutz
תרוצי tarutzi
ירוץ yarutz
תרוץ tarutz
נרוץ narutz
תרוצו tarutzu
ירוצו yarutzu
תרוצנה tarútznah

Exercise 4:
אבוא ‘avo’
תבוא tavo’
תבואי tavo’i
יבוא yavo’
תבוא tavo’
נבוא navo’
תבואו tavo’u
יבואו yavo’u
תבאנה tabónah

Exercise 5:
לדגל של ארצות הברית יש חמישים כוכבים לבנים ברקע כחול בחלק השמאלי העליון ויש שיבעה פסים אגדומים ושישה פסים לבנים. י
Ladégel shel ‘Artzot Habrit yesh chamishim kochavim levanim bereqa` kachol bachéleq hasmali ha`elyon veyesh shiv`ah pasim ‘adumim veshishah pasim levanim.

הדגל של יפן לבן עם עגול אדום אמצעי. י Hadégel shel Yapan levan `im `igul ‘adom ‘emtza`i.

לדגל של גרמניה יש פס שחור עליון, פס אדום אמצעי ופס צהוב תחתון.י Ladégel shel Germanyah yesh pas shachor `elyon, pas ‘adom ‘emtza`i vepas tzahov tachton.

הדגל של ישראל לבן עם פסים כחולים בחלק עליון ובחלק תחתון ועם מגן דוד כחול בחלק אמצעי. י
Hadégel shel Yisra’el levan `im pasim kchulim bachéleq `elyon vebachéleq tachton ve`im magen David kachol bachéleq ‘emtza`i.

לדגל של האיחוד האירופי יש רקע כחול ושני-עשר כוכבים צהובים מסודרים בעדול אמצעי. י
Ladégel shel Ha’ichud Ha’eyropi yesh reqa` kachol veshney-`asar kochavim tzehubim mesudarim be`igul ‘emtza`i.

Exercise 6:
• “Tzava’ron kachol” hu’ kinuy lepo`eley hayitzur, hehavdil mi”tzava’ron levan”—mehandesim vemenahelim.
• “Hakachol hagadol” (Big Blue) hu’ kinuy lachevrat IBM, kachol `amoq hayah hamachshev shenitzech beshachmat ‘et Garry Kasparov.
• “Hamaveret hakachol” (Blue Death) ‘o “masach hamavet hakachol” (Blue Screen of Death ‘o BSOD beqitzur): kinuy lemasach taqalah shemofi`a bema`aréchet hehaf`alah chalonot shel Miqrosoft, shele’achar hofa’ato lechitzat Reset hi’ hatza`ad hanachon.
• “Séret kachol” hu’ séret pornografi, ve”rosh kachol” hu’ kinuy le’adam shemachshavot zimah me`esiqot ‘oto. Yesh miqrim nosafim shebahem hatzmadat hato’ar “kachol” be’anglit bá’ah leramez `al davar haqashur lemin.
• “Dam kachol” hu’ kinuy leben ha’atzulah.
• Byisra’el, “kachol levan” hu’ kinuy letotzéret ha’áretz, `éqev tzva’ey dégel Yisra’el shehem kachol velevan.
• BaTzahal, “hakchulim” hem ‘anashey Cheyl Ha’avir, beshel hatzeva` habolet bemadeyhem (lehavdil me”hayeruqim”—‘anashey kochot hayabashah).
• Kachol hu’ tzeva` shemezoheh bemedinot rabot `im hamishtarah, beshel tzeva` hamadim.
• “Chultzah kacholah” hi’ hachultzah hamyuchédet shel tnu`ot hano`ar Hano`ar Ha`oved Vehalomed, Hashomer Hatza`ir veHamachanot Ha`olim. Lechol ‘achat mihatnu`ot, siman heyker nosaf `al chultzah kacholah: sroch ‘adom, sroch levan veshiv`ah kafturim levanim (behat`amah).
• Nyar Laqmus kachol hu’ ‘indiqator lechumtzah: ke’asher mishtaneh tzva`o le’adom zeh mar’eh `al nochchot chumtzah.

• “Blue collar” is a nickname for manufacturing workers, to differentiate from “white collar”—engineers and managers.
• “Big Blue” is a nickname for the company IBM, the computer that beat Garry Kasparov in chess was deep blue.
• Blue Death or Blue Screen of Death or BSOD for short: a nickname for an error screen that appears in Microsoft’s Windows operating system, after whose appearance push Reset is the required step.
• A “blue film” is a pornographic flim, and “blue head” is a nickname for a man occupied by thoughts of lust. There are additional examples in which the rank attachment “blue” comes in English to hint at a connection to sex.
• “Blue blood” is a nickname for a person of noble birth.
• In Israel, “blue white” is a nickname for products of Israel, because of the colors of the flag of Israel which are blue and white.
• In the Israeli Defense Force, “the blues” are people of the Israeli Air Force, because of the prominent color of their uniforms (to differentiate from “the greens”—people of the land forces).
• Blue is a color that is identified in many countries with the police, because of the color of the uniforms.
• A “blue skirt” is the special skirt of the youth movements The Working and Learning Youth, The Young Guard and The Immigrant Army. For each one of the movements there is a symbol of recognition in addition to the blue skirt: red lace, white lace, and seven white buttons (respectively).
• Blue pH paper is an indicator for acid: when it changes its color to red, this shows the presence of an acid.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Tuli wrote:Exercise 5:
לדגל של ארצות הברית יש חמישים כוכבים לבנים ברקע כחול בחלק השמאלי העליון ויש שיבעה פסים אגדומים ושישה פסים לבנים. י
Ladégel shel ‘Artzot Habrit yesh chamishim kochavim levanim bereqa` kachol bachéleq hasmali ha`elyon veyesh shiv`ah pasim ‘adumim veshishah pasim levanim.
A little usage note. I don't think you should use עליון here. `Elyon means something more like "uppermost". The adjective you want is עלי `ili "upper".

And by it sounds a bit better to me if you use the construct for "Flag of [Country]": לדגל ארצות הברית ledégel 'Artzot Habrit (yes, a construct can be part of another construct).
Tuli wrote:הדגל של יפן לבן עם עגול אדום אמצעי. י Hadégel shel Yapan levan `im `igul ‘adom ‘emtza`i.
Same deal here: דגל יפן dégel Yapan sounds better.

Also, the adjective אמצעי sounds kind of silly here. It's like you're saying in English "A red middle circle". If you wanted to say "in the center", באמצע ba'emtza` (of course, you didn't know this word).

Tuli wrote:הדגל של ישראל לבן עם פסים כחולים בחלק עליון ובחלק תחתון ועם מגן דוד כחול בחלק אמצעי. י
Hadégel shel Yisra’el levan `im pasim kchulim bachéleq `elyon vebachéleq tachton ve`im magen David kachol bachéleq ‘emtza`i.
See, 'emtza`i here is used perfectly - "in the middle portion". Except you forgot an article (האמצעי ha'emtza`i). My guess is you didn't realize this is an adjective... Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

ayyub
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ayyub »

Not to bump the thread, but I'm going to bump this thread and say I think it ought to be in the Languages and Linguistics museum.
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:The merger is between /8/ and /9/, merging into /8/. Seeing as they're just one number apart, that's not too strange.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Hebrew and Russian you've made my day!
I know! How many languages do you know Maknas?
[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_1-1.gif[/img]