Russian Lessons / Uroki Russkogo Jazyka (Take 2)

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Pie Man
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Pie Man »

Maknas wrote:
Pie Man wrote:Газета на стулe. No "это" as that means "This/that is" I think you could say Есть газета на стуле, but that doesn't sound normal to me.
I was looking for "Есть газета на стуле" here. "Газета на стулe" alone suggests "The newspaper is on the chair" to me.
Pie Man wrote:Где Иван? Он здесь в паркe, или там в зданиe?
Actually, no, Delalyra was correct. The prepositional singular of здание is здании.
1) Whenever I say "Есть anything" I'm always corrected, and told that it sounds really awkward...
2) Heh... Yeah, that was silly
[size=84][url=http://tinyurl.com/2d75ba]Join the ZBB Last.fm group![/url][/size]
[img]http://backspace.com/notes/images/male.png[/img]

Gazariah
Niš
Niš

Post by Gazariah »

Whenever I say "Есть anything" I'm always corrected, and told that it sounds really awkward...
That's because есть is not very close to "there is/are" in English. The main use of есть is asking whether somebody has something, and saying that somebody has something. It would be used in "Do you have a car?" but not in "Do you have the car?" (because in the second, it's not the existence but the location of the car that's being asked). This will be covered later in the lessons, I suppose.

Otherwise, есть is used (in all persons and numbers, even though it's historically a 3sg form) for emphasizing the identity or existence of things. It's hard to describe this use; better to learn by observation. It is far from basic Russian. But here's one example.

An absent-minded professor meets a friend on the street and invites him to dinner. The professor says, "By the way, Doctor Bizhan will be there too."
"But, professor, I am Doctor Bizhan!" says the astonished invitee.
- Но, профессор, ведь я и есть доктор Бижан!

"That makes no difference," says the professor. "Please do come."

In ordinary circumstances, the doctor would introduce himself by saying "Я--доктор Бижaн."

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

<b>LESSON 4 / ЧЕТВЁРТЫЙ УРОК / CHETVJÓRTYJ URÓK</b>

Before we get started, I must give you a warning: Russian verbs are not easy. The very concept of "regular verb" in Russian in a joke :wink:

True, you only really have to worry about two tenses, and there are only two verbs in the entire language that take truly irregular nonstandard endings. But you also have to deal with tons of consonant mutations, consonants and vowels dropping and appearing here and there, and the worst part - the perfective/imperfective distinction. The concept can be hard enough to grasp, but on top of that the formation of perfective verbs is a pain. The perfective form of a verb is more or less unpredictable, and can be formed through prefixation, suffixation, shift of conjugation, removal of a suffix, or from an entirely different root altogether. And the same prefixes used to form perfective verbs from imperfective ones, when placed on other verbs, may form entirely new verbs altogether (eg: хотеть "to want (impf) > захотеть "to want (pf)", but быть "to be" > забыть "to forget"). And the perfective future tense is formed from the same endings as the imperfective present...

If you're still willing to go, let's get started!

1) The First Verbal Conjugation (Present Imperfective Tense)

For regular verbs, add the following endings to the root:
  • я: -у -u
  • ты: -ешь -esh' (pronounce that Ш hard - that soft sign serves no real purpose here)
  • он/она/оно: -ет -et
  • мы: -ем -em
  • вы: -ете -ete
  • они: -ут -ut
Here's the conjugation of the verb root *читай- *chitaj- "read". Remember the spelling rules when dealing with combining endings to a root ending in /j/:
  • я читаю já chitáju ["jA tS'I."tA.ju]
  • ты читаешь tý chitájesh' ["t1 tS'I."tA.jIS]
  • он/она/оно читает ón/oná/onó chitájet ["on V."nA V."no tS'I."tA.jIt]
  • мы читаем mý chitájem ["m1 tS'I."tA.jIm]
  • вы читаете vý chitájete ["v1 tS'I."tA.jI.t'E]
  • они читают oní chitájut [V."n'i tS'I."tA.jut]
Note that the stress stays on the same syllable in all forms.

Some other verbs (those with "ending accent", which always stress the ending) take the following endings, where the /E/ of the ending has undergone ablaut and become /o/.
  • я: -у -u
  • ты: -ёшь -josh'
  • он/она/оно: -ёт -jot
  • мы: -ём -jom
  • вы: -ёте -jote
  • они: -ут -ut
With the root *жив- *zhiv- "live":
  • я живу já zhivú ["jA ZI."vu]
  • ты живёшь tý zhivjósh'' ["t1 ZI."v'oS]
  • он/она/оно живёт ón/oná/onó zhivjót ["on V."nA V."no ZI."v'ot]
  • мы живём mý zhivjóm ["m1 ZI."v'om]
  • вы живёте vý zhivjóte ["v1 ZI."v'o.t'E]
  • они живут oní zhivút [V."n'i ZI."vut]
These verbs always have ending stress. If you hadn't already noticed, the letter Ё must always be stressed. Also note how the final consonant of the root, in this case /v/, is hard in the 1SG and 3PL forms, but soft in all of the others.

2) The Infinitive of Imperfective First-Conjugation Verbs

Why were we just working with roots rather than the infinitive? Because it's often hard to recover the root of a verb from its infinitive, due to a variety of factors, one of the biggest of which is the loss of root consonants.

Most infinitives in Russian end in -ть -t', which is tacked directly onto the end of the verb root. However, if the last consonant of the root is one of /v n m j/, that consonant will drop first: *читай- *chitaj- > читать chitát' "to read".

We will discuss more rules for the formation of infinitives later one, as we learn more different types of verbs.

3) Negation of Verbs

Verbs are negated by adding the unstressed negative particle не ne [n'I] before the verb: я не читаю já ne chitáju "I'm not reading."

4) The Accusative Singular

The accusative case of a noun marks the direct object, and is relatively easy to form as well. For nouns of any gender that do not end in /a/, it is identical to the nominative singular: дом dóm "house (N/A sg, masc)", окно oknó "window" (N/A sg, neut), дверь dvér' "door (N/A sg, fem).

However, if the noun ends in /a/, it drops it and adds /u/: книга kníga "book (N sg, fem)" > книгу knígu "book (A sg). This even applies to the few masculine nouns ending in /a/, like дядя djádja "uncle" ( > дядю djádju).

But:
This rule does not apply for nouns ending in -мя -mja, like имя ímja "name" and время vrémja "time". These nouns are technically neuter, and have a strange declension pattern. However, in the accusative singular, they do not change.

There's one more little quirk with the accusative case, but that will be discussed next lesson.

5) Word Order in Questions and Answers

Generally, if the subject of a question using an interrogative pronoun (who, what, etc) is a pronoun, it will precede the verb. If it is a full noun, it will follow:

Что он делает? Chtó ón délajet? "What is he doing?"
Что делает Николай? Chtó délajet Níkolaj? "What is Nikolai doing?"

When answering a question, you generally put the new information at the end of the sentence.

Что он делает? > Он книгу читает.
Что он читает? > Он читает книгу.

Chtó ón délajet? > Ón knígu chitájet.
Chtón ón chitájet? > Ón chitájet knígu.

EXERCISES:

1) Conjugate the verb *работай- *rabótaj- "work" in the present tense. Also provide the infinitive.

2) Translate the following sentences.
  • I am reading the newspaper.
  • You (sg) work in Moscow.
  • They live in Europe.
  • He is doing homework.
  • What is Nikolai listening to?
  • He is listening to the radio.
  • We are eating breakfast.
  • What are you (formal) doing?
  • Why isn't he listening to the radio?
  • It's not working. (use the correct pronoun for "radio")

Vocab:
  • газета gazéta "newspaper"
  • Европа Jevrópa "Europe"
  • *делай- *délaj- "do, make"
  • урок urók "lesson" (in the plural, "homework")
  • *слушай- *slúshaj- "listen to" (this verb takes a direct object, unlike in English)
  • радио rádio "radio" (pronounced ["rA.d'i.jo] - the last syllable doesn't reduce, because this is a recent loan word)
  • *завтракай- *závtrakaj- "eat breakfast"
  • почему pochemú "why?"

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

Well now that you've scared us off, I think I'm ready to give it a go. :mrgreen:

I dunno, I'm just in a good mood at the moment. :mrgreen:

edit having just looked over the lesson:

WHEEEEE!!!! VERBS!!!!
[dEl.@."lir\.@] <-- correct pronunciation of my username.

<Rhob> I have a fetish for women.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Just wanted to say that tomorrow I'm leaving for Switzerland for a week or so, and I won't have ZBB access then (meaning no new lessons either until after Easter). So if you want to have your answers for this last lesson corrected post them today or tomorrow morning before I go!

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

AAMAOF, I was just sitting down to type my answers up. And it's just as well that you're leaving, becuase I wanted a few more days anyways to practice on my own. :)

работать
Я работаю
Ты работаешь
Он работает
Мы работаем
Вы работаете
Они работают

I am reading the newspaper. Я читаю газета.
You (sg) work in Moscow. Ты работаешъ в Москве.
They live in Europe. Они живут в Европе.
He is doing homework. Он делает уроки.
What is Nikolai listening to? Что слушает Николай?
He is listening to the radio. Он радио слушает.
We are eating breakfast. Мы завтракаем.
What are you (formal) doing? Что вы делаете?
Why isn't he listening to the radio? Почему он не слушает радио?
It's [the radio] not working. Оно не работает.

Could you give us a few other verbs (two or three) with stress on the final syllable, so I can use those other endings a little more? thanks.

I'm also working on pronunciation (it's really hard!)--I'm lucky; one of my friends is a native speaker. Coincidentially, she's teaching Russian to another friend, who is Jewish and will teach her Hebrew. And another one of my friends wants to learn Russian as well, and I directed him here....so he may join the ZBB just for these lessons. :)

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Delalyra wrote:AAMAOF, I was just sitting down to type my answers up. And it's just as well that you're leaving, becuase I wanted a few more days anyways to practice on my own. :)
That's fine. And if you know someone who can help you, all the better! :)
Delalyra wrote:I am reading the newspaper. Я читаю газета.
You forgot to decline газета. It has to be in the accusative case.
Delalyra wrote:You (sg) work in Moscow. Ты работаешъ в Москве.
I assume this is just a typo, but you want a soft sign Ь in "работаешь", not a hard sign.
Delalyra wrote:Could you give us a few other verbs (two or three) with stress on the final syllable, so I can use those other endings a little more? thanks.
Hmm. I'm trying to think of some that are otherwise completely regular...

Well, there's *бер- "take", which has an irregular infinitive (брать brát'). Or *нес- "carry" (inf: нести nestí). Or *раст- "grow" (inf: расти rastí). Or *пой- "sing" (inf: петь pét').

And one very useful one: *ид- "go, walk" (inf: идти idtí).

All of these roots are regular in the present tense, and feature ending stress with that -ё-.

Ending stress and first conjugation verbs don't go well together :wink:

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

Maknas wrote:You forgot to decline газета. It has to be in the accusative case.
Oops!! Then it would be...газету, right?
Maknas wrote:I assume this is just a typo, but you want a soft sign Ь in "работаешь", not a hard sign.
Yep, just a typo. :)

And thanks for the verbs! :D

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Delalyra wrote:
Maknas wrote:You forgot to decline газета. It has to be in the accusative case.
Oops!! Then it would be...газету, right?
Yep. And no problem. :)

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

<b>LESSON 5 / ПЯТЫЙ УРОК / PJÁTYJ URÓK</b>

1) The Accusative Singular (cont.)

Я вижу стол. Já vízhu stól. "I see a table."
Я вижу машину. Já vízhu mashínu. "I see a car."

Я вижу Ивана. Já vízhu Ivána. "I see Ivan."
Я вижу Елену. Já vízhu Jelénu. "I see Yelena"

(вижу = "I see")

Notice anything unusual?

The feminine name Yelena has a normal accusative ending in -u, but the masculine name Ivan adds an -a where you'd normally expect nothing. This is because, in the accusative case, there are different endings for masculine animate and masculine inanimate nouns. Masculine inanimate nouns have identical nominative and accusative forms, whereas masculine animate nouns (ie, nouns refering to humans or animals) take -a, as long as they don't end in -a in the nominative (like дядя djádja "uncle" > дядю djádju).

2) The Present Tense of Regular Second-Conjugation Verbs

You have already learned the regular conjugation of first-conjugation (or "Е-conjugation") verbs. The second conjugation (or "И-conjugation") differs mainly by the vowels in the endings. In addition, this conjugation contains a lot more verb roots that end in a consonant other than /j/.

These endings, which always cause palatalization of the last consonant of the root, are:
  • я: -ю -ju
  • ты: -ишь -ish'
  • он/она/оно: -ит -it
  • мы: -им -im
  • вы: -ите -ite
  • они: -ят -jat
So with the verb root *говор- *govor- "speak, talk":
  • я говорю govorjú
  • ты говоришь govorísh'
  • он говорит govorít
  • мы говорим govorím
  • вы говорите govoríte
  • они говорят govorját
Most of these verbs form their infinitives by adding -ить -it' to the root: говорить govorít' "to speak". A few others may use -еть -et' instead.

And, as has been mentioned before, the -ю and -ят are spelled -у and -ат when immediately following Ш, Щ, Ж, and Ч.

3) First-Person Mutations

As I just mentioned above, the second-conjugation endings palatalize the preceding consonant. In addition, over the last 2000 years Russian (and its ancestors) have undergone three series of major palatalizations which completely reorganized the consonant system. So, as you might expect, this has had a tremendous effect on the verb system by creating irregular, mutating consonants.

The first type of mutation you will learn occurs only in the first person singular of a verb. There are approximately ten or so mutations that can occur here. One you have already seen in this lesson: д > ж, such as in the verb видеть vídet' "to see" (root *вид-), whose forms are: вижу, видишь, видит, видим, видите, видят vízhu, vídish', vídit, vídim, vídite, vídjat.

Mutations will be mentioned each time you are introduced to a new verb containing such a mutation, such as in the vocabulary lists.

4) The Conjunctions и, а, and или

Или íli is a disjunction, functioning the same way as the English "or".

И í and А á, however, can be a bit harder to understand. Both are often translated into English as "and", but и emphasizes similarity, while а emphasizes difference (perhaps something like English "whereas"). The best way to explain this is through example:

Иван читает газету, и Наташа тоже читает газету. Iván chitájet gazétu, í Natásha tózhe chitájet gazétu. "Ivan is reading a newspaper, and Natasha is also reading a newspaper."
Иван читает газету, а Наташа читает книгу. Iván chitájet gazétu, á Natásha chitájet knígu. "Ivan is reading a newspaper, whereas Natasha is reading a book."

When conjoining two nouns instead of two clauses, however, you always use И.

5) The Possessive Adjectives in the Nominative Case

The first and second person possessive adjectives (my, your, our, and y'all's) in Russian each have four forms - the masculine singular, the feminine singular, the neuter singular, and the plural. They agree in gender and number with the noun they modify (except in the plural, where gender is not distinguished). The forms are:

English: MascSg/FemSg/NeutSg/Pl
my: мой mój / моя mojá / моё mojó / мои moí
your: твой tvój / твоя tvojá / твоё tvojó / твои tvoí
our: наш násh / наша násha / наше náshe / наши náshi
y'all's (or formal you): ваш vásh / ваша vásha / ваше váshe / ваши váshi

The endings are basically the same for each gender: nothing for MascSg, -a for FemSg, -o/-e for NeutSg, and -i for Pl. Note how мой and твой decline in an identical manner, as do наш and ваш.

These are placed in front of the noun they modify:
мой брат mój brát "my brother"
моя книга mojá kníga "my book"
моё письмо mojó pis'mó "my letter"
мои друзья moí druz'já "my friends"

There are three third person possessive adjectives, which do not decline (so no gender or number agreement, or even case agreement at that):
  • его jegó "his" (note: this is pronounced [jI."vo]!)
  • её jejó "her"
  • их íkh "their"
Его is used for both masculine and neuter nouns.

его брат jegó brát "his brother"
его книга jegó kníga "his book"
его письмо jegó pis'mó "his letter"
его друзья jegó druz'já "his friends"

There is also technically one more possessive pronoun, the possessive of reflexive, which can be used with the third person possessives to create a fourth person, but this will be discussed later.

EXERCISES:

1) Conjugate the verb любить ljubít' (root *люб-) "love", which has the change б > бл. Stresswise, it is stressed on the root in all forms but the first person singular.

2) Should И or А be used?
  • Я здесь ___ он там.
  • Он ___ Мария сейчас в школе.
  • Мы говорим ____ они тоже
3) Translate:
  • This is his book.
  • I see his sister.
  • She sees their brother.
  • My coat is on the table.
  • She loves Nikolai very much.
  • We speak Russian.
  • Her husband right now is at home.
Vocab:
  • там tám "there (locative)"
  • тоже tózhe "also"
  • куртка kúrtka "coat"
  • очень óchen' "very, very much" (place before verb)
  • по-русски po-rússki "Russian" (an adverbial form)
  • муж múzh "man, husband"
  • дома dóma "at home"
Last edited by Mecislau on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

Yay! :D I'll post my answers presently.

And I already know what любить means (to love, yes?), but I don't believe you give a translation for it in the lesson anywhere. Just mentioning... :)

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Delalyra wrote:Yay! :D I'll post my answers presently.

And I already know what любить means (to love, yes?), but I don't believe you give a translation for it in the lesson anywhere. Just mentioning... :)
Whoops...

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Delalyra wrote:Yay! :D I'll post my answers presently.
I'm beginning to wonder whether you know the meaning of the word "presently". :wink:

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

Main Entry: pres·ent·ly
1 a archaic : at once b : before long : without undue delay :P

Well, maybe there was "undue delay"....sorry. :oops:

1. Любить
Я люблю
Ты люблишь
Он люблит
Мы люблим
Вы люблите
Они люблят

2. a, и, и.

3. This is his book. Это его книга.
I see his sister. Я вижу его сестра.
She sees their brother. Онa видит их брат.
My coat is on the table. Моя куртка на столe.
She loves Nikolai very much. Онa Николай очень люблит.
We speak Russian. мы говорим по-русски. (or по-русски before the verb?)
Her husband right now is at home. Её муж сейчас дома.

And a couple questions...How do you tell e-stem from и-stem verbs? Are we going to be getting any substantial translations from Russian to English (I'd like the practice), and I've been using the "insert symbol" function, and it's pretty cumbersome; do you know how to get the Russian keyboard layout (in windows XP)?

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Delalyra wrote:1. Любить
Я люблю
Ты люблишь
Он люблит
Мы люблим
Вы люблите
Они люблят
Whoops. Now what kind of mutations were discussed in the previous lesson? First person singular only. No b > bl mutation occurs in any of the other forms.

Delalyra wrote:She loves Nikolai very much. Онa Николай очень люблит.
Other than that extra /l/ in "любит", you forgot the animate accusative ending: Николая
Delalyra wrote:We speak Russian. мы говорим по-русски. (or по-русски before the verb?)
Either way. However, I'd tend to put it before the verb here mainly in comparative/exclusive structures ("We speak Russian here, not English...").

And a couple questions...How do you tell e-stem from и-stem verbs?[/quote]

Well, other than from the conjugation, you can't. However, Е-conjugation verbs generally have ать/ять as the infinitive ending, and И-conjugation ones have ить/еть. This isn't a universal, though, and there are more than a fair share of exceptions. This is why we're not using the infinitive as the 'base form', because you often can't determine the actual root or conjugation from it. It's better to learn the roots and then learn the general patterns used to turn them into infinitives.

If that makes any sense. I'm kind of tired right now :wink:
Delalyra wrote:Are we going to be getting any substantial translations from Russian to English (I'd like the practice),
Heh, sure. I always have a tendency to make too many "English > Whatever" exercises...
Delalyra wrote:and I've been using the "insert symbol" function, and it's pretty cumbersome; do you know how to get the Russian keyboard layout (in windows XP)?
How to install one?

Go to the control panel, Regional and Language Settings, Languages tab. Click the "Details" button. Click "Add". Select "Russian" under "Input Language", and click "OK". It should be enabled now.

To switch to a Russian layout, hold down the Left Alt key and press Shift. Do the same again to switch back to English. You can change the keys you press to switch languages by clicking the "Key Settings" button at that same window where you clicked "Add" before.

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

Maknas wrote:Whoops. Now what kind of mutations were discussed in the previous lesson? First person singular only. No b > bl mutation occurs in any of the other forms.
oops......somehow I entirely missed that. :|

And thanks for the question answers!

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

Any more lessons? *puppy eyes*

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Delalyra wrote:Any more lessons? *puppy eyes*
Heh, sorry. I've been a little busy lately.

And I've been a bit surprised at how much more difficult these are to write than, say, the Hebrew lessons, since the concept of "completely regular" seems to be so hard to find in Russian. It's kind of frustrating saying "Here are the rules...", followed immediately by "And here are a bunch of words that don't follow that pattern", if you know what I mean. But if you're still interested, I'll see what I can do :wink:

Pie Man
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Pie Man »

Delalyra wrote:I've been using the "insert symbol" function, and it's pretty cumbersome; do you know how to get the Russian keyboard layout (in windows XP)?
I use the Russian phonetic keyboard called Fontboard.
Delalyra wrote:Are we going to be getting any substantial translations from Russian to English (I'd like the practice)
I suppose I could write a short thing with simple grammar. Hopefuly I won't make mistakes. :P I'll try to use simple words, but if there is anything you don't know, you can check a website like Rambler or Yandex. For Rambler, make sure the drop down box is set to "русско-английском" (Russian to English), and for Yandex, make sure the box labled "перевод" (translate) is checked.

Я вижу книгу на столе. Я хочу узнать о чём книга, но если книга по-русски, не могу. Я только могу читать по-английски. Сейчас я учу русский язык, и надеюсь что я её смогу прочитать.

This is harder than I thought it would be. Everything requires a different tense, or something else. I gave in, and those last two verbs (смогу прочитать) are perfective, and in the future tense.
[size=84][url=http://tinyurl.com/2d75ba]Join the ZBB Last.fm group![/url][/size]
[img]http://backspace.com/notes/images/male.png[/img]

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

lesse...

Я вижу книгу на столе.
I see a book on the chair (столе is either chair or table, though..)

Я хочу узнать о чём книга, но если книга по-русски, не могу.
I khochu uznat' o chyom book, no there is russian book, nye mogu.

Я только могу читать по-английски.
I tol'ko mogu read american.

Сейчас я учу русский язык, и надеюсь что я её смогу прочитать.
Now I uchu russian yaz'ik, and nadeyus' what I her smogu prochitat'.

Just what I can read off the top of my head...I recongize язык, but don't remember what it means.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Delalyra wrote:Я вижу книгу на столе.
I see a book on the chair (столе is either chair or table, though..)
*Table. "Chair" is стул.

But you got the articles right. Nice :P
Delalyra wrote:Я хочу узнать о чём книга, но если книга по-русски, не могу.
I khochu uznat' o chyom book, no there is russian book, nye mogu.
Heh. It means "I want to learn what this book is about, but if the book's in Russian, I cannot."

если means "if", not "there is" (есть). Actually, this word technically derives from есть ли "whether there is", so...
Delalyra wrote:Я только могу читать по-английски.
I tol'ko mogu read american.
"I can only read in English"

And not just American :wink:

Delalyra wrote:Сейчас я учу русский язык, и надеюсь что я её смогу прочитать.
Now I'm learning Russian, and hope that I will be able to read it.
Delalyra wrote:Just what I can read off the top of my head...I recongize язык, but don't remember what it means.
"Language". And not too bad, considering what little practice you've had!
Pie Man wrote:This is harder than I thought it would be. Everything requires a different tense, or something else. I gave in, and those last two verbs (смогу прочитать) are perfective, and in the future tense.
Told ya so :wink:

Soren
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Soren »

Maknas wrote:
If it isn't a matter of feel, could you explain why it's ok to use nonreflexive "учу" here for "to learn", whereas it apparently isn't in the example I asked about recently?

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Soren wrote:
Maknas wrote:
If it isn't a matter of feel, could you explain why it's ok to use nonreflexive "учу" here for "to learn", whereas it apparently isn't in the example I asked about recently?

It isn't. That's what I get for only half-paying attention while I write. (I was doing other thigns at the time - An hour or so literally passed between my hitting the "Quote" button and my hitting the "Submit" button...)

It should read учусь русскому языку

Delalyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delalyra »

Maknas wrote:And not too bad, considering what little practice you've had!
Yay! :D

Soren
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Soren »

Maknas wrote: ...

It isn't. That's what I get for only half-paying attention while I write. (I was doing other thigns at the time - An hour or so literally passed between my hitting the "Quote" button and my hitting the "Submit" button...)

It should read учусь русскому языку

Does "учиться" always take a dative object?