You're probably sick of people asking this...

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

You're probably sick of people asking this...

Post by Klaivas »

This has probably been asked so many times, but frankly, meh.

How does one like me (who is currently unable to) pronounce [r]?

Whenever I try, I always end up with some sort of uvular trill going on, and if I try and end that I just get a sort of [Z] sound. I may be having problems because I didn't get my tongue-tie removed around 2 years ago (hence why I usually pronounce t, d, l, n as dental). Anyway, how do I get this trill?

Ahh... I'm probably retarded (don't comment on this please :P)

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

The best advice for people trying to get their coronal trills down is: it's much easier between low vowels, to begin with, at least. So, practice saying [ara ara ara ara], and make sure you don't retroflex it!
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Re: You're probably sick of people asking this...

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

-Klaivas- wrote:I may be having problems because I didn't get my tongue-tie removed around 2 years ago (hence why I usually pronounce t, d, l, n as dental).)
Why would that make you pronounce them dental? Dental is further forward than alveolar.

aardwolf
Sanci
Sanci

Post by aardwolf »

?Papapishu! wrote:
-Klaivas- wrote:I may be having problems because I didn't get my tongue-tie removed around 2 years ago (hence why I usually pronounce t, d, l, n as dental).)
Why would that make you pronounce them dental? Dental is further forward than alveolar.
The wikipedia article says that the frenulum is futher forward in the mouth, and that there's difficulty in retracting the tongue (presumably to the alveolar position here).

As regards making the sound [r], you have to have a flexible tongue. It takes me a few tries to get it right sometimes (in which case I usually make a [4] or similar).

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

aardwolf wrote:As regards making the sound [r], you have to have a flexible tongue.
Not really.. you just need a trained tongue. The more you pronounce it, the better you get at it, but from what I know the ability isn't limited just to certain gifted people.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

I've got no problems with alveolars now, except this one...

Are there any parts of the tongue I should specifically tense or relax when I'm pronouncing [r]?

AudiblySilenced
Sanci
Sanci

Post by AudiblySilenced »

Xephyr wrote:
aardwolf wrote:As regards making the sound [r], you have to have a flexible tongue.
Not really.. you just need a trained tongue. The more you pronounce it, the better you get at it, but from what I know the ability isn't limited just to certain gifted people.
I wouldn't even go that far. This one only took me about three tries to get right. I, however, can't figure out how to pronounce a uvular trill.

On a side note, I think it's really funny that singers in the 1910s sang [r] instead of [r\].
Cro Magnon wrote:Old English is the father of modern English. Latin is the weird uncle who raised English in its formative years.
Collaborative Protolang

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

audiblysilenced wrote:
Xephyr wrote:
I wouldn't even go that far. This one only took me about three tries to get right. I, however, can't figure out how to pronounce a uvular trill.
For some reason I can do uvular trills easier than I can do alveolar trills, which I find takes more effort to do than them. However, this might have something to do with my already having uvular approximants as my main "r" sound, with postalveolar approximants only showing up in purely prevocalic positions for me.
audiblysilenced wrote:On a side note, I think it's really funny that singers in the 1910s sang [r] instead of [r\].
Yes, just the idea of doing such in an English-language context, Scottish dialects aside, seems just bizarre to me as well.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Junes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Junes »

Okay, let's see if I can explain how I think one could learn to produce [r]...

First, the tongue is not going to trill if there's no air over it. So it's a good idea to start with the tongue in the correct position, and let air go over it. So far, no trilling is involved. Then, tense the muscles in the tip of the tongue. It should then start trilling by itself (it's not like you move the tongue up and down by yourself - it's the air that does that).
Once you get this down, you can work to produce it in a more natural way.

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

Junes wrote:Okay, let's see if I can explain how I think one could learn to produce [r]...

First, the tongue is not going to trill if there's no air over it. So it's a good idea to start with the tongue in the correct position, and let air go over it. So far, no trilling is involved. Then, tense the muscles in the tip of the tongue. It should then start trilling by itself (it's not like you move the tongue up and down by yourself - it's the air that does that).
Once you get this down, you can work to produce it in a more natural way.
That's really helped, thanks :mrgreen: I'm still doing it a bit slowly, however, but I'm sure I'll find a way of speeding it up.

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

I'm still not getting it.

How high up should my tongue be?

Tengado
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tengado »

-Klaivas- wrote:I'm still not getting it.

How high up should my tongue be?
The tip should be fairly high - touching the alveolar ridge. I notice that my tongue might tend to be slightly asymmetric - one edge of the tip stays still against the alveolar ridge, and the other trills. If you try that perhpas it will be easier.

But basically it's just a knack - try it a few times and it will happen.
- "But this can be stopped."
- "No, I came all this way to show you this because nothing can be done. Because I like the way your pupils dilate in the presence of total planetary Armageddon.
Yes, it can be stopped."

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

Whenever I try saying [ar] I end up with something like [aZadlEdildZe:Zi]

If I get the technical details I'm sure I'll be fine...

1. Where should the tip of the tongue be before I tense it?
2. Should any other parts of the tongue be tensed?
3. What sort of position should my tongue be in before I trill ([l]? [s]?)
4. Should the body of my tongue be high or low in my mouth?
5. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Kiitos paljon :)

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

Travis B. wrote: For some reason I can do uvular trills easier than I can do alveolar trills, which I find takes more effort to do than them. However, this might have something to do with my already having uvular approximants as my main "r" sound, with postalveolar approximants only showing up in purely prevocalic positions for me.
I can easily do uvular trills too... I put it down to spending lots of time in France as a child. :) But I find it very difficult to reliably produce any trill further forward.
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

Xephyr wrote:The best advice for people trying to get their coronal trills down is: it's much easier between low vowels, to begin with, at least. So, practice saying [ara ara ara ara], and make sure you don't retroflex it!
:roll: If you say so, it may be true for you. But I find it no more difficult to pronounce [iri] than [ara].
There is only one god and his name is Death. And there's only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'.

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

-Klaivas- wrote:1. Where should the tip of the tongue be before I tense it?
3. What sort of position should my tongue be in before I trill ([l]? [s]?)
the same position as [4].
2. Should any other parts of the tongue be tensed?
Huh....no? :?
4. Should the body of my tongue be high or low in my mouth?
Huh.... sorry, I just trill it. Never thought of that :?
There is only one god and his name is Death. And there's only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

alieneye wrote:
Xephyr wrote:The best advice for people trying to get their coronal trills down is: it's much easier between low vowels, to begin with, at least. So, practice saying [ara ara ara ara], and make sure you don't retroflex it!
:roll: If you say so, it may be true for you. But I find it no more difficult to pronounce [iri] than [ara].
So do I, now that I've been pronouncing them for a couple years. But when I began, I could barely muster [iri], while [ara] came easily.

Also, iirc, your first language has trilled r's. So you really don't have much room to talk.
The Gospel of Thomas

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Our phonetics tutor once told us a story of how he met a famous phonetician (he didn't give a name, however), who could do all sorts of phonetic gymnastics - implosives, ejectives, pharyngealised nasals, breathy voiced epiglottals, and so on - with the greatest of ease. But he couldn't do [r].
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Glossotechnites
Niš
Niš

Post by Glossotechnites »

Try purring like a cat or imitate the sound of a revving engine.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

Lingophile wrote:Try purring like a cat or imitate the sound of a revving engine.
I've read that so many times.

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

-Klaivas- wrote:
Lingophile wrote:Try purring like a cat or imitate the sound of a revving engine.
Is it just me who ends up doing a bilabial trill when trying to do cat sounds?
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

chris_notts wrote:
-Klaivas- wrote:
No, but it depends what kind of cat sound you're wanting to do.

Am I the only one that uses (well... not any more) [B\] for the <br> in "brown"?

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

Xephyr wrote:Also, iirc, your first language has trilled r's. So you really don't have much room to talk.
It doesn't. I didn't learn it as a child, I didn't grow up hearing it, except very occasionally on TV. What was [r] in Portuguese is now [h] in most Brazilian dialects, including mine. I know lots of people who can't do [r] (not that they tried).

Tengado
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tengado »

chris_notts wrote:
-Klaivas- wrote:
You had an odd cat.
- "But this can be stopped."
- "No, I came all this way to show you this because nothing can be done. Because I like the way your pupils dilate in the presence of total planetary Armageddon.
Yes, it can be stopped."

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

audiblysilenced wrote:
audiblysilenced wrote:On a side note, I think it's really funny that singers in the 1910s sang [r] instead of [r\].
Yes, just the idea of doing such in an English-language context, Scottish dialects aside, seems just bizarre to me as well.
My grade three teacher seemed to think that a rolled [r] was more proper than our normal [r\]. She used to get us to stand up and try to say [Tri:] or [TrAes], which we couldn't do, because most of us still had problems with the [T] sound, let alone a rolling r sound which isn't even present in our dialect.

Only six months ago did I finally learn how to do a rolled [r]. People had told me over and over again the theory behind it: let the tip of your tongue go loose and blow air over the top, etc... and the best I could get was some kind of bizarre L-sound. When I learnt German a few years ago, I had a few problems with the uvular [R\] but I got the hang of it really quickly, and then I learnt how to pronounce [4], but it was only a coincidence that I one day pronounced [r]. It's something you can only do if you know what it feels like in your mouth, and the only way to get that is to have done it already... keep trying and you might have some luck (ah, what an inspirational story)