Hungarian translation project - Dirty Fred

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Sippan
Niš
Niš

Post by Sippan »

Dirty Fred? Is this the third evil twin to Dirty Sanchez and Hot Karl?
"oh devoice this, vugvaze"

chris-gr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by chris-gr »

Here it is. :)

CHAPTER 2

Jose the waiter was sleeping. He was sleeping while he stopped with the soup just for a minute, he was sleeping while the cook put the meat on the platter, and he was sleeping while he poured it in a Swedish teacher’s lap.
All the screaming got him up. [Loosely translated]
Hutchins, the stoker, was also asleep. He was sleeping while the coal rolled in the boiler, he was sleeping while he was lifting his shovel, and he was sleeping when he dropped it on the chief-engineer’s leg.
All the screaming got him up.
The first mate reported to the captain that Jose’s permanent proneness for sleepiness was getting more serious.
The engineer reported to the captain that Hutchins, the American stoker, will wake up for some minutes if he hits someone [?]
Some sailors were whispering to each other. Some strange symptoms were spreading on the ship. They should catch both of them.
The steward told Jimmy Uptohisears that there would be trouble because if the infirmaries notice it, it will become clear that one of them isn’t here, and just Jimmy is serving this ship like a master of disguise.
Jimmy Uptohisears once again said that they shouldn’t put the blame on him, but on the passengers. Everyone on the ship was far too lively. They immediately would calm down, if someone’d be sleepy. He promised the steward that he would try to bring the whole thing to a balance. On the next day he would take care of the lively mood of the passengers and decrease it.

And he shouldn’t have done this.
At 3:30 p.m. sharp (Asian time-zone) the Honolulu Star was cruising on the exact and suitable longitudes and latitudes, in full calmness, with a velocity of 18 knots towards the Malakka-strait. On the promenade-deck an orchestra was playing, and one of the passengers told to two of his female acquaintances [hölgyismerősének ?] that nothing on that ship was in order. Allegedly, a case of a sleeping-disease suspect had come up but they were hiding it from the passengers.

At 4.10 (Asian time-zone!) the ship-doctor the ship-doctor, acoording to the captain’s measures, sent the steward for Jose Pombio, the waiter, and Wilson Hutchins, the stoker. At the same time!
At 4.12 (according to the above-mentioned continent’s time) the steward went to his cabin and muttered some prayers recited from his childhood. He was certain that he had destroyed the sailors’ register.
At 4.20 Jose the waiter showed up in front of the doctor, who was turning over the pages of a book with excitement.
“The particular form of appearance of the sleeping disease, when it occurs on the basis of sporadic cases, as well as its accompanying symptoms, may be confused.”
'I speak esperanto like a native'

gsandi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gsandi »

Here I my corrections:
chris-gr wrote:
CHAPTER 2

Jose the waiter was sleeping. He was sleeping while he stopped with the soup just for a minute, he was sleeping while the cook put the meat on the platter, and he was sleeping while he poured it in a Swedish teacher’s lap.
All the screaming got him up. [Loosely translated]
Hutchins, the stoker, was also asleep. He was sleeping while the coal rolled in the boiler, he was sleeping while he was lifting his shovel, and he was sleeping when he dropped it on the chief-engineer’s leg.
All the screaming got him up.
The first mate reported to the captain that Jose’s permanent proneness for sleepiness was getting more serious.
The engineer reported to the captain that Hutchins, the American stoker, will wake up for some minutes if he hits someone [?]
... he only wakes up for some minutes if he is beating somebody up.

[Hardly a major change. But the imperfect is not the same as the aorist, as I am sure all students of Greek are taught...]
chris-gr wrote:Some sailors were whispering to each other. Some strange symptoms were spreading on the ship. They should catch both of them.
Two people have already caught them (i.e. the symptoms). Not very good medical language, you can only show symptoms, not catch them, but these are simple sailor folk.
chris-gr wrote:The steward told Jimmy Uptohisears that there would be trouble because if the infirmaries notice it, it will become clear that one of them isn’t here, and just Jimmy is serving this ship like a master of disguise.
gyengélkedõ = weaklings, people with not too serious medical conditions (< gyenge "weak"). If the people with the symptoms are under observation, it will be clear that neither of them [egyik sincs] here, it's only Jimmy who serves as a master of disguise.
chris-gr wrote:Jimmy Uptohisears once again said that they shouldn’t put the blame on him, but on the passengers. Everyone on the ship was far too lively. They immediately would calm down, if someone’d be sleepy. He promised the steward that he would try to bring the whole thing to a balance. On the next day he would take care of the lively mood of the passengers and decrease it.
And then the next day he took care [gondoskodott = indicative mood] of the liveliness of the passengers.
chris-gr wrote:And he shouldn’t have done this.

At 3:30 p.m. sharp (Asian time-zone) the Honolulu Star was cruising on the exact and suitable longitudes and latitudes, in full calmness, with a velocity of 18 knots towards the Malakka-strait. On the promenade-deck an orchestra was playing, and one of the passengers told to two of his female acquaintances [hölgyismerősének ?] [yes!, but just one of them] that nothing on that ship was in order.
Something on the ship was not in order.

A problem in all languages is to learn the difference between some and any, in particular in negative constructions.

Valami nincs rendben = Something is not right (Japanese Nani ka...)
Semmi sincs rendben = Nothing is right (Japanese Nani mo...)
chris-gr wrote:Allegedly, a case of a sleeping-disease suspect had come up but they were hiding it from the passengers.

At 4.10 (Asian time-zone!) the ship-doctor , according to the captain’s measures, sent the steward for Jose Pombio, the waiter, and Wilson Hutchins, the stoker. At the same time!
At 4.12 (according to the above-mentioned continent’s time) the steward went to his cabin and muttered some prayers recited from his childhood. He was certain that he had destroyed the sailors’ register.
... that his name would be deleted from ... (törlik, 3rd person pl. of törülni, to wipe, to erase, in this case used impersonally)
chris-gr wrote:At 4.20 Jose the waiter showed up in front of the doctor, who was turning over the pages of a book with excitement.
The particular form of appearance of the sleeping disease, when it occurs on the basis of sporadic cases, as well as its accompanying symptoms, may be confused.”
"Unusual (or special) forms of sleeping sickness, when it appears in the guise of sporadic illnesses, and its attendant symptoms get confused".

EXCELLENT WORK, AS ALWAYS, CHRIS.

I'll post the next instalment sometime, maybe even today.

gsandi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gsandi »

I might as well post the next instalment now. It contains one of the superbly funny Rejtõ-ish conversations, with lots of purposeful misunderstandings by a faux-naïf participant:
A leírás egy hajó esetét vette példának, ahol egyetlen cecelégy került a rakománnyal együtt a fenékbe, és még mérsékelt égöv alatt is képes volt a ragályt terjeszteni.
Képes lenni … [infinitive] = to be able to do sg.
Ragályt terjeszteni = to spread an epidemic
Az orvos felnézett a könyvből. Ott állt előtte José, a pincér, könnyed testtartással, és szerényen hortyogott.
Testtartás = body posture
Hortyogni = to snore softly
- Halló!
- Ki beszél?! - riadt fel José.
Az orvos nézte. Hm... Gyanús! Szenvedő arc, ernyedt vonások, mélyen ülő szem, bárgyún nyitott száj, szabálytalan légzés.
Ernyedt = slack, flabby
- A feje fáj?
- Igen.
- Dohányzik?
- Inkább innék valamit.
- Nem kínáltam!
- Elég baj, mert dohányzom.
- Járt Afrikában?
- Két éve.
- Szülei élnek?
- Az anyám.
- Az apja mibe halt meg?
- Búcsúba. Heveny lövöldözés meg minden ilyesmi...
-ba/be halni meg = to die of something
búcsú = country fair
- Iszik?
- Most, hogy meghalt, nem hiszem.
- Ember! Ne tréfáljon! Itt komoly dologról van szó! Fáj valamije?
- Itt a bordánál nyilall...
Nyilallni = to suffer a sudden pain (as if brought on by being shot with an arrow (nyíl))
Az orvos betett valamit a fülébe, amiről lelógott egy gömbölyű hangerősítő. Ezt Fülig Jimmy bordáira helyezte.
- Sóhajtson.
Fülig Jimmy megragadta a bordáin nyugvó fémet, és belekiáltott:
- Csiklandós vagyok!
Az orvos üvöltve ugrott hátra, mert úgy érezte, hogy egy nehézüteget sütöttek el a füle mellett.
Nehézüteg = heavy artillery
- Ostoba alak!... Megsiketít... Mióta érzi ezt a fájdalmat a bordáin?
Siketíteni = alternative form of süketíteni, to deafen
(In Hungary today, apparently it’s not PC to call a deaf person süket [the term I grew up with], you have to call him/her siket. I am not sure how this helps someone deal with deafness)
- Amióta a kormányos a sötétben véletlenül rálépett.
- De most már menjen!
- Kérem szépen... nem kaphatnék valamit fejfájás ellen...? Nagyon fáj a fejem.
Ez hazugság volt. De az orvos elhitte, és azonnal odament a szekrényhez. Fülig Jimmy követte. Messziről látta azt a kis tartályt, amin ez állt felírva egy címkén:

ÓPIUM!
Jó szerencsét!

chris-gr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by chris-gr »

Just got it.. Oh, this language is so out of my league... I keep making stupid mistakes. But I won't stop untill I get it right. And that's a threat, Gábor! :P :D

gsandi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gsandi »

chris-gr wrote:Just got it.. Oh, this language is so out of my league... I keep making stupid mistakes. But I won't stop untill I get it right. And that's a threat, Gábor! :P :D
Keep up your spirits, Chris. Piszkos Fred hasn't shown up yet - you have been reading Hamlet without Hamlet so far.

chris-gr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by chris-gr »

yes, that's true... this novel is the definition of 'gentle comedy'. If only my english was good enough. But my greek translation is better! :D

chris-gr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by chris-gr »

So here it is. Unfortunately, this is not going to be my best attempt. The + sign means that I lost something there. Perhaps next time! :)

The description presented as an example a case on a ship, where a single tsetse-fly arrived with the cargo + and was capable of spreading an epidemic even below the temperate zone.
The physician looked over the book. There was standing Jose, the waiter, in front of him, in a casual manner [a desperate attempt to translate könnyed testtartással] and snoring softly.

-Hallo!
-Who’s speaking? [said] Jose [and] got started.
The doctor looked at him. Hm… Suspicious! Sickly complexion, flabby features, deeply sunken eyes, idiotically open-mouthed, irregular breathing.

-Does your head ache?
-Yes.
-Do you smoke?
-I’d rather drink something.
-I didn’t offer you anything!
-That’s a shame, since I smoke.
-Have you ever been to Africa?
-For two years.
-Are your parents alive?
-My mother is.
-What did your father die of?
-A country fair. Heavy fusillade and all that…
-A drinker, perhaps?
-Now that he’s dead I don’t think so.
-Stop joking already! This is serious! Do you have a pain?
-I have this sudden pain here on my rib.
The doctor put something in his ears, from which a spherical sound-amplifier was hanging loose. He put that on Jimmy’s rib.

-Heave sigh, please.
Jimmy Uptohisears grasped that piece of metal on his rib and yelled:
-I feel ticklish!
The doctor jumped backwards howling, because he felt that a cannon fired next to his ear.
-You idiot! You made me deaf… Since when have you been feeling this pain in your ribs?
-Since the steersman stepped on me in the dark by accident.
-You should be going now!
-Pardon me… Couldn’t I get something for this headache? My head aches a lot.

That was a lie. But the doctor believed it and went immediately to the locker. Jimmy Uptohisears followed him. From afar he saw that small container, which had this label on it: Opium!

gsandi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gsandi »

Chris, you are doing very well.

Meanwhile I am trying to develop the best method for making the corrections - none of them seem to be very good. This is my attempt this time:

--------------------------------------------

A leírás egy hajó esetét vette példának, ahol egyetlen cecelégy került a rakománnyal együtt a fenékbe, és még mérsékelt égöv alatt is képes volt a ragályt terjeszteni.

The description presented as an example a case on a ship, where a single tsetse-fly arrived with the cargo + and was capable of spreading an epidemic even below the temperate zone.

Az orvos felnézett a könyvből.

Chris: The physician looked over the book.
GS: The doctor looked up from the book

Ott állt előtte José, a pincér, könnyed testtartással, és szerényen hortyogott.

There was standing Jose, the waiter, in front of him, in a casual manner [a desperate and perfect attempt to translate könnyed testtartással] and snoring softly.

- Halló!
- Ki beszél?!

-Hallo!
-Who’s speaking? [said] Jose [and]

- riadt fel José.

Chris: got started.
GS: he was roused (from a shallow sleep). (unless you meant “he was startled from sleep”, which would be quite OK)

Az orvos nézte. Hm... Gyanús! Szenvedő arc, ernyedt vonások, mélyen ülő szem, bárgyún nyitott száj, szabálytalan légzés.

The doctor looked at him. Hm… Suspicious! Sickly complexion, flabby features, deeply sunken eyes, idiotically open-mouthed, irregular breathing.

- A feje fáj?
- Igen.
- Dohányzik?
- Inkább innék valamit.
- Nem kínáltam!
- Elég baj, mert dohányzom.
- Járt Afrikában?

-Does your head ache?
-Yes.
-Do you smoke?
-I’d rather drink something.
-I didn’t offer you anything!
-That’s a shame, since I smoke.
-Have you ever been to Africa?

- Két éve
Chris: For two years
GS: Two years ago (“For two years” would be “két évig”)

- Szülei élnek?
- Az anyám.

-Are your parents alive?
-My mother is.

- Az apja mibe halt meg?
- Búcsúba. Heveny lövöldözés meg minden ilyesmi...
- Iszik?
- Most, hogy meghalt, nem hiszem.
- Ember! Ne tréfáljon! Itt komoly dologról van szó! Fáj valamije?
- Itt a bordánál nyilall...

Az orvos betett valamit a fülébe, amiről lelógott egy gömbölyű hangerősítő. Ezt Fülig Jimmy bordáira helyezte.

-What did your father die of?
-A country fair. Heavy fusillade and all that…
-A drinker, perhaps?
-Now that he’s dead I don’t think so.

[That’s the perfect translation, Chris, congratulations. You managed to translate the untranslatable – “Iszik?” can mean “Do you drink” (polite 2nd person sing.) or “Does (s)he drink?”]

-Stop joking already! This is serious! Do you have a pain?
-I have this sudden pain here on my rib.
The doctor put something in his ears, from which a spherical sound-amplifier was hanging loose. He put that on Jimmy’s rib.

- Sóhajtson.
Fülig Jimmy megragadta a bordáin nyugvó fémet, és belekiáltott:
- Csiklandós vagyok!
Az orvos üvöltve ugrott hátra, mert úgy érezte, hogy egy nehézüteget sütöttek el a füle mellett.
- Ostoba alak!... Megsiketít... Mióta érzi ezt a fájdalmat a bordáin?
- Amióta a kormányos a sötétben véletlenül rálépett.
- De most már menjen!
- Kérem szépen... nem kaphatnék valamit fejfájás ellen...? Nagyon fáj a fejem.
Ez hazugság volt. De az orvos elhitte, és azonnal odament a szekrényhez. Fülig Jimmy követte. Messziről látta azt a kis tartályt, amin ez állt felírva egy címkén:
ÓPIUM!

-Heave sigh, please.
Jimmy Uptohisears grasped that piece of metal on his rib and yelled:
-I feel ticklish!
The doctor jumped backwards howling, because he felt that a cannon fired next to his ear.
-You idiot! You made me deaf… Since when have you been feeling this pain in your ribs?
-Since the steersman stepped on me in the dark by accident.
-You should be going now!

[Good translation. Note, however, that “most már menjen” (also “menjen már”) is colloquial for “come off it, you are kidding me, you are putting me on]

-Pardon me… Couldn’t I get something for this headache? My head aches a lot.

That was a lie. But the doctor believed it and went immediately to the locker. Jimmy Uptohisears followed him. From afar he saw that small container, which had this label on it: Opium!

-----------

Next instalment coming up, be on the lookout for it!

This Board is worth it just because of this. :D

chris-gr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by chris-gr »

Thank you :D I did my best not to screw up the dialogue, and the humorous parts. That's something I hate when watching subtitled movies or sitcoms. The translators usually give up and foul up the whole joke !

I'll be looking forward the next installment :)

gsandi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gsandi »

Next instalment, a bit longer than usual, because it's time to introduce Dirty Fred:

-----------------------------------

Ez sűrűn alkalmazott gyógyszer errefelé, a megváltozott éghajlat és a szokatlan táplálék miatt gyakorta fellépő emésztési zavarok ellen.

“gyakorta fellépő emésztési zavarok ellen”
Just to save you the trouble of analysing such a complex phrase: “against frequently occurring digestive disturbances”

Az orvos már kivett egy fejfájás elleni port, amikor csörömpölést hallott. Az ostoba pincér lelökött az asztalról egy poharat.
- Hordja el magát!

Idiomatic : imperative of "elhordani magát" (to get going [I’ve had enough of you])

José elsietett. De amíg az orvos hátranézett a csörömpölésre, addig gyorsan a zsebébe csúsztatott az ópiumostartály belsejéből vagy hat kisebb doboz gyógyszert, több mint felét az ópiumkészletnek.

Ez 4 óra 44 perckor történt. (Greenwichi időszámítás szerint: 4 óra, 12 perc, 8 másodperc!) Közvetlenül az uzsonnaidő előtt.

What a weird time zone ! :?

Öt óra 15-kor a kapitány felszólította az utasokat, hogy mindenki őrizze meg a nyugalmát, a hajó rendelkezik a járvány lokalizálásához szükséges eszközökkel.

megőrizni a nyugalmat = to keep one’s calm

A pánik akkor tört ki, midőn a három úr, akik uzsonna után elaludtak, csak hosszas élesztgetésre tértek magukhoz.

midőn = somewhat old-fashioned for “amikor” (when” (rel.pn.))

Az egyik Mr. Gould volt, a hatalmas nevelő. Ez aludt a legmélyebben. Pedig uzsonnatájt még igen élénk volt.

Most mélyen aludt.

Másnap, reggeli után (9 óra 27 másodperc az északi és déli szélesség megfelelő fokai között) két újabb utas merült mély álomba, és délben a kapitány utasította a rádióst, hogy tudakolja a közelben tartózkodó hajók neveit. Esetleg segítségre szorulnak.

Dráma az óceánjárón!

Az utasok nagy része ekkor már sejtette, hogy azon hátborzongató tengerésztörténetek egyikét élik át, amelyeket oly sokszor kigúnyoltak, mint például a Kísértethajó, vagy nem is szólva a Bounty lázadóiról, akik emberhúst is ettek.

hátborzongató = gruesome, terrifying (“makes your back shiver”)
kigúnyolni = to make fun of, to be sarcastic

Azzal valamennyien tisztában voltak, hogy még ötven év múlva is megoldatlan lesz a rejtély a hajóról, amely csendesen siklott Szingapur kikötője felé, a gát mellett megállt, de nem szállt ki utas, egy hang sem hallatszott a fedélzetről: mindenki meghalt! A Honolulu-Star tragédiájáról filmet gyártanak, és az emberek beülnek csinos nőismerőseikkel a moziba, hogy megnézzék. Azután azt mondják majd: “marhaság!”

lesz = will be. Future in the past, basically this whole paragraph is a conjecture about the future as imagined by the passengers on the boat.
marhaság = idiocy (“cattle-ness”)

Egy koppenhágai zeneszerző erélyesen követelte, hogy a kapitány bocsássa le a mentőcsónakokat, és ki-ki meneküljön, amerre tud. Miután a kapitány ezt megtagadta, jegyzőkönyvet akart felvenni az esetről, de közben elaludt.

jegyzőkönyvet venni = to be put into writing, to put something into the ship’s log

Az emberek bezárkóztak kabinjaikba. A rettegés, a rossz előérzet lett úrrá mindenkin.

előérzet = presentiment
urrá lenni = to become dominant

És egy utas végre igazán jól érezte magát. Este lenn a bárban még zongorázott is.
Az állítólagos Mr. Irving volt ez az utas.

Ugyanis nevelője minden étkezés után nyomban elaludt. Mélyen és sokáig.

Először csak az ebédlőben üldögélt egy órácskával tovább a fiatalember. De másnap (a járvány tetőfokán dühöngött úgy az ázsiai, mint a greenwichi időszámítás szerint) Mr. Irving bekukkantott a bárba, ahol a zenekar tüzes fox-trottokat játszott félálomban.

bekukkantani = to have a look at
félálomban = half asleep

Éjfél felé a fiatalember dúdolni kezdett. Az arca kipirult, a szeme csillogott, és titokban bizonyára hőn óhajtotta, hogy bárcsak tartós lenne ez az epidémia.

Már harmadik napja dühöngött az álomkór. Az admiralitás rövid üzenetváltás után azt ajánlotta, hogy a Honolulu-Star közölje állandóan a helyzetét és útirányát, továbbá ajánlatos lenne a hajón található legyeket gyűjteni az előrelátható egészségügyi szemle részére, hogy akad-e cecelégy közöttük.

Egy örmény levélboríték gyáros drámai egyszerűséggel közölte a kapitánnyal, hogy leprája van.

levélboríték gyáros = envelope manufacturer

Ilyen eddig csak rémdrámákban volt!

rémdráma = horror story

- Ember! - suttogta a szállásmester, aki élősúlyának felére fogyott rövid idő alatt. - Ezt maga tette!

- Igen - felelte őszintén Fülig Jimmy. - Maga mondta, hogy feltűnő a hajón, ha két ember állandóan alszik. Most már csak az különös, ha ébren van valaki.

- Hogy csinálta?!

- Ópiummal. Nem lehet semmi baj. Mindenki csak annyit kap, amennyi az ópiumhoz mellékelt adagolási táblázaton úgy van feltüntetve, hogy „súlyos betegek számára”. Az pedig nem lehet veszélyes adag.

- Ha... kiderül... Én bűntársa vagyok. Tíz évet kapunk...

- Istenem... Érdemrendet nem kínálhatnak ezért. El sem fogadnám.

érdemrend = decoration

- Hej! Szállásmester! - kiáltotta feléjük az egyik tiszt. - Menjenek a legénnyel a raktárba! Fogjanak legyet, és vigyék az orvoshoz!

legyet fogni = to catch flies (a good illustration of the lack of plural in such constructions in Hungarian; other examples: tojást venni = to buy eggs; cseresznyét szedni = to pick cherries)

- A legyeket is gyógykezelik? - csodálkozott Fülig Jimmy.

A legénység teljes számban légyvadászaton volt. Ők is elindultak a szállásmesterrel.

Pokoli hőség volt az Indiai-óceánon. Különösen itt, a gépház mellett. Fülig Jimmy mint fűtő derékig levetkőzve járt, a hőségen kívül elsősorban azért, mert egyetlen ingét José, a pincér használta

derékig levetkőzve = naked to the waste
- Ember! Vessen véget a járványnak! - könyörgött a szállásmester.

végetvetni = to put an end to sg.

- Nem jön rá senki, nyugodt lehet.

rájönni = to figure sg out

Ide-oda jártak a poggyászraktárban. Fülig Jimmy megállt egy hatalmas utazóláda mellett.

poggyászraktár = storage for luggage

- Mi a csoda! Ezt jól megcsinálták! Nézze csak!

mi a csoda! = what on Earth!

A ládán hatalmas tábla függött: (Upside down):

VIGYÁZAT! NEM SZABAD LEFELÉ FORDÍTANI. KIÖMLIK!

- A mindenségit a sok hülyének - szitkozódott a szállásmester -, jöjjön, fordítsuk meg ezt a poggyászt.

A mindenségit … -nak/nek = (swearing): To hell with…

Már éppen hozzáfogtak volna, amikor valaki erélyesen kopogott a láda oldalán, és érdes, borízű hang szólalt meg belülről:

hozzáfogni = to start sg, get going
borízű = tasting of wine

- Most már csak hagyják így, ha Adenig a fejemen álltam benne.
- Mi az, hej?! Ki maga?
- Menjenek a fenébe.

Fenébe menni = to go to hell (« Get gangrene”, but I don’t think most people know this old meaning of “fene”)

Hát ilyen még nem volt! A világ legpimaszabb potyautasát fedezték fel.

pimasz = impertinent, cheeky
potyautas = stowaway

- Hé! - kiabálta a szállásmester. - Tudja, hogy mi vár egy potyautasra, ha karanténba kerülünk?
- Miért kerülne a hajó karanténba?
- Ragály van!
- Valakit megfertőztek hülyeséggel?

fertőzni … -val/vel = to infect with sg.

- A mindenségit...
Kinyitotta a ládát, és...
Üres volt! A láda, amelyből egy másodperc előtt beszélt valaki!
Bután állt... A szállásmester keresztet vetett.

keresztet vetni = to make the sign of the cross

Varázslat...
- Ilyen alakok fenyegetnek engem - jegyezte meg az iménti hang a hátuk mögött. Megfordultak.

Egy toprongyos öregember állt előttük.

toprongyos = in rags

Fülig Jimmy ijedten kiáltotta:
- Piszkos Fred!...

chris-gr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by chris-gr »

DIGRESSION (--until I finish my regular assignment)

This is one of my favorite poems. I don't know if there are any english translations on the net, I haven't checked, but this is my attempt. (In english and greek too. Well, the greek translation, is better.)

FA LESZEK, HA...

Fa leszek, ha fának vagy virága.
Ha harmat vagy: én virág leszek.
Harmat leszek, ha te napsugár vagy...
Csak, hogy lényink egyesüljenek.

Ha, leányka, te vagy a mennyország:
Akkor én csillagá változom.
Ha, leányka, te vagy a pokol: (hogy
Egyesüljünk) én elkárhozom.

(Sándor Petőfi, 1845)

A TREE I'LL BE

A tree I'll be, if you are the tree-blossom.
If you are the dew: I'll be the tree's bloom.
The dew I shall become, if you are a sunbeam...
Just to make one of our being.

If, my girl, you are the Heavens,
A star I shall become.
If, my girl, you are the Hell:
(just for us to be together)
I would surely get lost.

(After my attempt, I found one poetic translation, made by Egon F. Kunz. Of course it's much better!:

I'll be a tree
I'll be a tree, if you are its flower,
Or a flower, if you are the dew -
I'll be the dew, if you are the sunbeam,
Only to be united with you.

My lovely girl, if you are the Heaven,
I shall be a star above on high;
My darling, if you are hell-fire,
To unite us, damned I shall die.
)

And this is my gr. translation:

Δέντρο να γίνω
Δέντρο να γίνω, αν του δέντρου είσαι ο ανθός,
ή λουλούδι, αν είσαι η δροσιά του.
Δροσιά να γίνω, του ήλιου αν εισ' εσύ το φως,
μονάχα να για να ζω εγώ μαζί σου.

Αν -κοριτσάκι μου- εσύ μου γίνεις Ουρανός,
τότε αστέρι εγώ θέλω να γίνω.
Κι αν -κοριτσάκι μου- γίνεις της Κόλασης φωτιά,
(ένα για να είμαστε) σαν κολασμένος σβήνω.

chris-gr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by chris-gr »

Here we go :)

This frequently applied drug was against frequently occurring digestive disturbances due to changing weather and unusual food. The doctor also took out a painkiller powder when he heard a smash. The stupid waiter had pushed a glass off the table.
-Get going, already!

Jose hurried off. But while the doctor looked back towards the smash, the opium container quickly slipped down his pocket from its interior about six smaller boxes of the drug –more than half of the opium stock.
This happened at 4.44 (GMT 4.12.08). Just before tea-time.
At 5.14 the captain ordered the passengers to keep their calm; the ship has the necessary means to pin down the epidemic. The panic broke out when the three gentlemen that fell asleep after the tea, regained consciousness after lengthy reviving attempts. One of them was Mr. Gould, the gigantic educator. He was sleeping the deepest. But during tea he was truly vivid.
Now, he was sleeping deep.
The next day, after breakfast (at 9.27, between the appropriate degrees of the northern and the southern latitude), two new travelers sank into deep sleep, and at noon the captain asked on the radio the names of the ships in the vicinity. By chance, they depended on help.

A drama on the ocean-going ship!
A big part of the travelers suspected that they would experience one of those terrifying seafaring tales that so many times used to make fun of, like for example the Ghost-ship, not to mention the Bounty mutineers that were eating even human flesh.

They were all aware that even in 50 years the enigma of the ship would still be unsolved; the ship that glided quietly towards the Singapore port, stopped next to the dam but did not set any passengers ashore, and not even a sound could be heard from the deck: Everyone was dead! A film would be made out of the of the Honolulu-Star tragedy, and people would go to the cinema with their pretty lady friends to watch it. Afterwards they’d say: “Rubbish!”

A composer from Copenhagen demanded forcefully that the captain let the life-boats down in the sea, and escape wherever they could. Because the captain refused to do that, he wanted this event to be put in the ship’s log, but meanwhile he fell asleep.
The people locked themselves up in their cabins. The dreadful, bad presentiment became dominant to everyone.

Finally one traveler was feeling really well. In the evening he’d be in the bar and even play the piano. That traveler was Mr. Irving. Since his educator fell asleep immediately after every meal. A deep and long sleep. At first the young man sat only in the dining-room with a small watch. But on the next day (the peak of the epidemic was raging according to both the Asian and the Greenwich time zones), Mr. Irving looked at the bar, where the orchestra was playing some passionate fox-trots half asleep.
Around the midnight the young man started humming a tune. His face flushed, his eyes were glistening, and he secretly yet fondly desired this epidemic to last a long time. The third day he was raging while sleeping. The Navy Department recommended after a brief exchange of messages that the Honolulu Star reports constantly her position and route; besides, it would be advisable to collect all the flies that can be found on the ship, for the –predictable- sanitary inspection.
An Armenian envelope manufacturer announced with dramatic simplicity to the captain that he has leprosy. So far it was just a horror story!

-You did this! whispered the chief-steward who had lost half his weight in a short time.
-Yes, answered Jimmy sincerely. You said that it would be striking if two people were constantly asleep. But now the unusual would be if someone is awake.
-How did you do this?
-With the opium. It can’t cause any trouble. Everyone received as much as indicated on the dose-label attached to the opium under ‘For Heavy Patients’. That cannot be a dangerous dose.
-Get serious… I’m your crime-associate. We’ll get ten years.
-My God… I couldn’t offer any decoration for this. Neither would I accept any.
-Chief-steward!, shouted to them one of the officers. Escort the young man to the store-room, catch flies, and lead him to the doctor!
-He’ll treat the flies too?, wondered Jimmy.
All the crew started fly-hunting. They started with the chief-steward.
It was hellish heat in the Indian Ocean. Especially here, next to the engine-room. Jimmy worked like the stokers naked to the waste, besides the heat because his only shirt was used by Jose, the waiter.
-Put an and to this epidemic! begged the chief-steward.
-No one has found out, it’ll be quiet.
He was going back and forth the luggage storage. Jimmy stopped next to a huge traveler-case.
-What on earth! They’ve made a fine mess out of this. Just look at that!
A big sign was hanging down the case:
CAUTION! DO NOT TURN UPSIDE DOWN. FLUID MATERIAL.
To hell with the idiots, cursed the chief-steward. Come, let’s turn around this baggage.
Just when they were to start, somebody knocked forcefully on the side of the box, and a rough, wine-smelling voice was heard from the inside:
-They should just leave it this way, if I reached Aden standing on my head.
-What’s that? Who are you?
-Get sick and drop dead.
Well this is unprecedented! They found the world’s most impertinent stowaway.
-Hey! shouted the chief-steward, do you know what a stowaway should expect if we get in quarantine?
-Why should the ship get in quarantine?
-There’s an infection.
-Somebody got infected with stupidity?
-Damned…
He opened the box and…
It was empty! The box, from which a second earlier someone was speaking!
They stood up like fools. The chief-steward made the sign of the cross.
Witchcraft…
-This kind of people are a threat to me, commented the voice exactly behind them.
They turned.
In front of them, there was standing an old man in rags.
Jimmy Uptohisears, scared, set up a yell:
-Dirty Fred!...

gsandi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gsandi »

Thanks Chris, that's great (after all this time!).

I'll check the translation within a few days, then post the next instalment.

G.

gsandi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gsandi »

I haven't forgotten you, Chris. Here go my corrections and observations:
chris-gr wrote:
This frequently applied drug was against frequently occurring digestive disturbances due to changing weather and unusual food. The doctor also took out a painkiller powder when he heard a smash.
The doctor had already [már] taken out a powder against headaches [fejfájás elleni] when he heard glass/china breaking [csörömpölés]
chris-gr wrote:The stupid waiter had pushed a glass off the table.
-Get going, already!

Jose hurried off. But while the doctor looked back towards the smash, the opium container quickly slipped down his pocket from its interior about six smaller boxes of the drug – more than half of the opium stock.

This happened at 4.44 (GMT 4.12.08). Just before tea-time.

At 5.14 the captain ordered the passengers to keep their calm; the ship has the necessary means to pin down the epidemic. The panic broke out when the three gentlemen that fell asleep after the tea, regained consciousness after lengthy reviving attempts.
This is comic contrast: The captain ordered passengers to keep their calm; panic broke out after three gentlemen, who fell asleep after tea, could only be brought back to consciousness after lengthy attempts.
chris-gr wrote:One of them was Mr. Gould, the gigantic educator. He was sleeping the deepest. But during tea he was truly vivid.
Now, he was sleeping deep.
He had the most profound sleep. Yet, during teatime, he had been quite lively [élénk]. Now how he was deeply asleep.
chris-gr wrote:The next day, after breakfast (at 9.27, between the appropriate degrees of the northern and the southern latitude), two new travelers sank into deep sleep, and at noon the captain asked on the radio the names of the ships in the vicinity. By chance, they depended on help.
... at noon the captain ordered the radio-operator [utasította a rádióst] to find out the names of ships in the vicinity. It was possible [Esetleg] that help would be needed.
chris-gr wrote:A drama on the ocean-going ship!

A big part of the travelers suspected that they would experience one of those terrifying seafaring tales that so many times used to make fun of, like for example the Ghost-ship, not to mention the Bounty mutineers that were eating even human flesh.
I presume that the ghost ship refers to the "Flying Dutchman".
chris-gr wrote:They were all aware that even in 50 years the enigma of the ship would still be unsolved; the ship that glided quietly towards the Singapore port, stopped next to the dam but did not set any passengers ashore, and not even a sound could be heard from the deck: Everyone was dead! A film would be made out of the of the Honolulu-Star tragedy, and people would go to the cinema with their pretty lady friends to watch it. Afterwards they’d say: “Rubbish!”

A composer from Copenhagen demanded forcefully that the captain let the life-boats down in the sea, and escape wherever they could. Because the captain refused to do that, he wanted this event to be put in the ship’s log, but meanwhile he fell asleep.
... so that everyone [ki-ki] could flee as he saw fit.
chris-gr wrote:The people locked themselves up in their cabins. The dreadful, bad presentiment became dominant to everyone.

Finally one traveler was feeling really well.
However, one passenger could finally enjoy himself.
chris-gr wrote:In the evening he’d be in the bar and even play the piano. That traveler was Mr. Irving. Since his educator fell asleep immediately after every meal.
tutor is better.
chris-gr wrote:A deep and long sleep. At first the young man sat only in the dining-room with a small watch.
Ha! :D Remember the scene in Casablanca where the German refugee couple try to practice their English: What watch? Six watch! Same thing here, Hungarian also uses óra for both watch/clock and hour/o'clock.

At first the young man sat an hour or so longer in the dining room after lunch [órácska = little hour, about an hour].
chris-gr wrote:But on the next day (the peak of the epidemic was raging according to both the Asian and the Greenwich time zones), Mr. Irving looked at the bar, where the orchestra was playing some passionate fox-trots half asleep.
... went by the bar ... (bekukkanni = to glance in, to go by)
chris-gr wrote:Around the midnight the young man started humming a tune. His face flushed, his eyes were glistening, and he secretly yet fondly desired this epidemic to last a long time.
bizonyára = almost certainly
chris-gr wrote:The third day he was raging while sleeping.
Not he, but it. The third day the sleeping epidemic was still raging.
chris-gr wrote:The Navy Department recommended after a brief exchange of messages that the Honolulu Star reports constantly her position and route; besides, it would be advisable to collect all the flies that can be found on the ship, for the –predictable- sanitary inspection.
A minor point: it doesn't say all. It would be advisable to collect flies found on the ship.

... in order to find out if there were tse-tse flies (cecelégy) among them.
chris-gr wrote:An Armenian envelope manufacturer announced with dramatic simplicity to the captain that he has leprosy. So far it was just a horror story!
Until now, this kind of thing had happened only in horror stories.
chris-gr wrote:-You did this! whispered the chief-steward who had lost half his weight in a short time.
-Yes, answered Jimmy sincerely. You said that it would be striking if two people were constantly asleep. But now the unusual would be if someone is awake.
-How did you do this?
-With the opium. It can’t cause any trouble. Everyone received as much as indicated on the dose-label attached to the opium under ‘For Heavy Patients’. That cannot be a dangerous dose.
-Get serious… I’m your crime-associate. We’ll get ten years.
If we are found out, ... [Ha kiderül]
chris-gr wrote:-My God… I couldn’t offer any decoration for this. Neither would I accept them.
Istenem = My God, you are right. But, idiomatically it is not used the same way. It is milder, I would translate is as "Oh well, they wouldn't offer a medal for this, I wouldn't accept it either".
chris-gr wrote:-Chief-steward!, shouted to them one of the officers. Escort the young man to the store-room, catch flies, and lead him to the doctor!
... and take them (i.e. the flies) to the doctor.
chris-gr wrote:-He’ll treat the flies too?, wondered Jimmy.

All the crew started fly-hunting. They started with the chief-steward.
Ho got going with the chief stewart as well.
chris-gr wrote:It was hellish heat in the Indian Ocean. Especially here, next to the engine-room. Jimmy worked like the stokers naked to the waste, besides the heat because his only shirt was used by Jose, the waiter.
Naked to the waist. :)

Best translation: Jimmy, as a stoker, was naked to the waist, ...
chris-gr wrote:-Put an and to this epidemic! begged the chief-steward.
-No one has found out, it’ll be quiet.
No-one will find out, stay calm.
chris-gr wrote:He was going back and forth the luggage storage.
They were going to and fro [jártak] in the luggage storage room.
chris-gr wrote:Jimmy stopped next to a huge traveler-case.
-What on earth! They’ve made a fine mess out of this. Just look at that!
A big sign was hanging down the case:
CAUTION! DO NOT TURN UPSIDE DOWN. FLUID MATERIAL.
A big sign was hanging upside down. ... It will spill.
chris-gr wrote:To hell with the idiots, cursed the chief-steward. Come, let’s turn around this baggage.
Just when they were to start, somebody knocked forcefully on the side of the box, and a rough, wine-smelling voice was heard from the inside:
-They should just leave it this way, if I reached Aden standing on my head.
-What’s that? Who are you?
-Get sick and drop dead.
Go to hell is enough.
chris-gr wrote:Well this is unprecedented! They found the world’s most impertinent stowaway.
-Hey! shouted the chief-steward, do you know what a stowaway should expect if we get in quarantine?
-Why should the ship get in quarantine?
-There’s an infection.
-Somebody got infected with stupidity?
-Damned…
He opened the box and…
It was empty! The box, from which a second earlier someone was speaking!
They stood up like fools. The chief-steward made the sign of the cross.
Witchcraft…
-This kind of people are a threat to me, commented the voice exactly behind them.
Such are the people who threaten me...
chris-gr wrote:They turned.
In front of them, there was standing an old man in rags.
Jimmy Uptohisears, scared, set up a yell:
-Dirty Fred!...
Next instalment in a few days.