I wish English had a word for this!

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

Yeah EI, I've often wished for words like that as well, particularly a nominal form of "serious". The best I can think of is "seriosity"by analogy of "curious" -> "curiosity".
Haven't you ever heard "seriousness" used before?

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I'm not speaking for him, but I hate the -ness suffix. It makes stuff seem awkward.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I'm not speaking for him, but I hate the -ness suffix. It makes stuff seem awkward.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Also, I thought the -ness suffix only occurred on nouns of native or near native origin rather than those from Latin.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Eccentric Iconoclast wrote:I wish English had a word for "ridiculousness" that didn't sound painfully awkward. My brain has gone and invented one out of the blue (ridiculum), but I imagine that sounds silly to everyone but me.
I've heard "ridiculosity" and "sensuosity". But the author who said them was going for ridiculosity in the first place.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

Well, I don't mind it. It helps create abstract nouns for words such as "seriousness" where a word with the desired meaning doesn't already exist. It's very usefull.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Also, I thought the -ness suffix only occurred on nouns of native or near native origin rather than those from Latin.
You must remember that the average person isn't a walking etymological dictionary that can tell the difference 'tween latin words and english words, as obvious as it is most of the time. Every word is a native word to them. And if -ness is a productive suffix like it is where I am, why shouldn't they use it to help create abstract nouns?

I do concede thoe that I would preffer "seriosity" over "seriousness" 'cuz I'd preffer english suffixes stick with english nouns, while latin suffixes stick with latin nouns, but I'm just a single person in the english-speaking world. If I want to convey an idea, I use the word that is most likely to relay that concept. If you google for "seriousness" and "seriosity", you'll see that "seriousness" overwhelmingly has more hits than the other. 12,100,000 vs 96,400. Thus, assuming that google hits are a reasonable counter of usage statistics, more people would be more familiar with the meaning of "seriousness" than "seriosity".

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

FinalZero wrote:
Yeah EI, I've often wished for words like that as well, particularly a nominal form of "serious". The best I can think of is "seriosity"by analogy of "curious" -> "curiosity".
Haven't you ever heard "seriousness" used before?
Or how about gravity? He was unaware of the gravity of his situation.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

Or how about gravity? He was unaware of the gravity of his situation.
That works too, but also has to compete with the more common meaning of itself.

psygnisfive
Sanci
Sanci

Post by psygnisfive »

Eddy wrote:Yeah EI, I've often wished for words like that as well, particularly a nominal form of "serious". The best I can think of is "seriosity"by analogy of "curious" -> "curiosity".

:P

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

English has a possesive pronoun for people-whose- but none for things, so we must say, "The skyscraper whose windows are blue." Maybe it could be something like, "The skyscraper whiches windows are blue."

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

dhokarena56 wrote:English has a possesive pronoun for people-whose- but none for things, so we must say, "The skyscraper whose windows are blue." Maybe it could be something like, "The skyscraper whiches windows are blue."
The skyscraper which the windows of are blue, mayhaps?
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

Wycoval
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Wycoval »

I think I've heard it this way before: "The skyscraper that's windows are blue."
[size=200]☧[/size]

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Or just "the skyscraper that has blue windows." (Sounds the most natural to me...maybe I don't need an inanimate version of whose if I would never use it :) )

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Gremlins wrote:
dhokarena56 wrote:English has a possesive pronoun for people-whose- but none for things, so we must say, "The skyscraper whose windows are blue." Maybe it could be something like, "The skyscraper whiches windows are blue."
The skyscraper which the windows of are blue, mayhaps?
Ugh, stylistic nightmare. If it were indefinite, I could say, "A skyscraper the windows of which are blue" but oddly this doesn't seem to work with "The skyscraper the windows...". So "The skyscraper with the blue windows" it is.

Nuntarin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Nuntarin »

What's with all the mythology? "...whose windows are blue" is fine.
[quote]Let us not look too closely at ourselves to see whether or not we have, in our untime, been successful. Turn your face from yourself; it is too late for that. I turn my face from you and I; let us look instead at how the ocean purrs.[/quote]

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Nuntarin wrote:What's with all the mythology? "...whose windows are blue" is fine.
I agree.
Not as common, but "...which's windows are blue" also occurs and is also fine.

Square
Niš
Niš

Post by Square »

English has a possesive pronoun for people-whose- but none for things, so we must say, "The skyscraper whose windows are blue." Maybe it could be something like, "The skyscraper whiches windows are blue.
For several years, I've been using "the skyscraper which windows are blue", and I believe a lot of other Polish speakers do so, as more-or-less of an improper calque.

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

Quite often I hear things like this constructed "the skyscraper of which the windows are blue".

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Prmysl wrote:Quite often I hear things like this constructed "the skyscraper of which the windows are blue".
While that's grammatical, it sounds a bit more natural to say the skyscraper the windows of which are blue. To me, at least.

Actually, I just use "whose" most of the time.

Aleco
Niš
Niš

Post by Aleco »

I miss a verb like the Norwegian å grue seg :?

It means something like "to be nervous (and think a lot) about something that is going to happen in the future to oneself" :P It's a verb which is used a lot! (at least when in school. You know - tests :roll: )

And of course the "Saudade" is a highly unique and incredible word :D

Emma
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Emma »

"The skyscraper with blue windows"? In writing I would maybe say "the skyscraper, the windows of which are blue", but I've never heard "that's" or "which" used in such a sentence. "Whose", yes, but I don't think it sounds right.

Carson
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Carson »

"The skyscraper which has blue windows." Or you could be all Pirate-y and say "The skyscraper what has blue windows."
English doesn't "borrow" from other languages. It follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them unconscious and rummages through their clothing looking for loose grammar.

Ketsuban
Niš
Niš

Post by Ketsuban »

Aleco wrote:I miss a verb like the Norwegian å grue seg :?

It means something like "to be nervous (and think a lot) about something that is going to happen in the future to oneself" :P It's a verb which is used a lot! (at least when in school. You know - tests :roll: )
"Worry".

Wycoval
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Wycoval »

I like the Spanish word ganas, meaning 'desire to do something', like a noun for 'want-to'.

'No tengo ganas' basically means 'I don't want to do it', but I like using the noun without sounding all hoity-toity like 'I have no desire to do it.'

Get some ganas!
[size=200]☧[/size]

Carson
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Carson »

"Get some ganas" sounds kinda like "Grow some balls".... ^_^;;; .

My Span teacher in high school explained "ganar" as "to have a strong desire to do/passion for something." I like this word, too :) .
English doesn't "borrow" from other languages. It follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them unconscious and rummages through their clothing looking for loose grammar.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Wycoval wrote:I like the Spanish word ganas, meaning 'desire to do something', like a noun for 'want-to'.

'No tengo ganas' basically means 'I don't want to do it', but I like using the noun without sounding all hoity-toity like 'I have no desire to do it.'

Get some ganas!
The same in Catalan: Tenir ganes de (Ct.) = Tener ganas de (Sp.)

And gana, in Catalan, means "hungry".
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.