Online Classical Nahuatl texts

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Online Classical Nahuatl texts

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

EDIT: I'm just going to consolidate this into a big list of all the online Nahuatl resources I've found.
Downloading An Analytical Dictionary of Nahuatl or Nahuatl as Written probably counts as piracy, so stay away from those if you're not into that sort of thing.
Last edited by ¡Papapishu! on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:43 am, edited 8 times in total.

Radagast
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast »

Great!
[i]D'abord on ne parla qu'en poésie ; on ne s'avisa de raisonner que long-temps après.[/i] J. J. Rousseau, Sur l'origine des langues. 1783

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Yeah, it should be preserved somewhere, this is good. I'd like to look over Nahuatl and get ideas from it, rather than learn it and even within those limits I've had trouble finding sources. Thanks

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Thanks for these. I'm plowing through those last two, with amoral delight.

nebula wind phone
Sanci
Sanci

Post by nebula wind phone »

"American Rig Veda," eh? Cute. I'll have to check some of these out when I get home.
"When I was about 16 it occurred to me that conlanging might be a sin, but I changed my mind when I realized Adam and Eve were doing it before the Fall." —Mercator

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

This definitely needs to saved for posterity. Do note, Nahuatl as Written is a recent--and fairly inexpensive--print. I just checked Amazon, and the book's only around 30 dollars (with some 10 dollar discount or something, so 20 as of this moment).

Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trebor »

Could someone please give a bit of detail as to what the contents of the last two files are before I do anything with them? (I have my reasons, but I don't feel like boring all of you with them.)

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Trebor wrote:Could someone please give a bit of detail as to what the contents of the last two files are before I do anything with them? (I have my reasons, but I don't feel like boring all of you with them.)
Nahuatl As Written is a grammar course book. The Dictionary one is.. well.. a Nahuatl-to-English dictionary. Really boring, especially if you don't know Nahuatl.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

Xephyr wrote:
Trebor wrote:Could someone please give a bit of detail as to what the contents of the last two files are before I do anything with them? (I have my reasons, but I don't feel like boring all of you with them.)
Nahuatl As Written is a grammar course book. The Dictionary one is.. well.. a Nahuatl-to-English dictionary. Really boring, especially if you don't know Nahuatl.
I've downloaded Nahuatl As Written and it's kept me amused for a few days. Intended I think for historians who need to figure out legal documents written in N. so concentrates on figuring out texts rather than being able to produce the language. Interesting approach though. Just a pity he doesn't explain the phonology and spelling right at the start. Near the end he discusses Spanish loans into N. which is interesting in itself (and gives most of the phonology in passing), also a run down on the available dictionaries, also an extensive vocabulary with all the grammatical info. And the long vowels and glo'al stops shown.

Q. Why do linguists thinks it smart to omit vowel length and glottal stops from Amerindian and Oceanic langs, which I think is a real wind-up for learners.

Q. He says Nahuatl ceased to be written, but apparently is still spoken. Seems odd, how? why? Usually if a language is written then it's relatively safe.

Q. Did these guys write anything more interesting than wills?

Marconatrix
Kyn nag ov den skentel pur ...

¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

Why yes. For example, I posted an analysis of a description of human sacrifice in Nahuatl from the Primeros Memoriales over on Studylangs.

Radagast
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast »

marconatrix wrote:
Q. Why do linguists thinks it smart to omit vowel length and glottal stops from Amerindian and Oceanic langs, which I think is a real wind-up for learners.

Q. He says Nahuatl ceased to be written, but apparently is still spoken. Seems odd, how? why? Usually if a language is written then it's relatively safe.

A: They don't. the people writing nahuatl back then weren't linguists for the most part but missionaries who spoke spanish and latin which doesn't have or mark those distinctions. They simply didn't hear them or didn't have a clue about how to write them. As for the other langauges I have no idea why some linguists still thing some phonemes are too exotic to be allowed to make it into writing.

A:In the first twohundred years of Mexico's colonial history nahuatl was a de facto second official language of Mexico. And people were educated to write in nahuatl. In 1696 however the speaking and writing of all indigenous languages in public was banned by Carlos II of spain. That reversed the situation and started the hispanization of latin america for real and began the decimation of indigenous languages. I have read original documents I found in an archive in a mexican convent stating that the friars should punish indians they heard speaking nahuatl with 40 lashes and burn any documents written in the language. Thats how you end a tradition of literacy.

A: Oh yes. They wrote poetry, histories of peoples and places, landclaims, histories of noble lineages, myths and legends, petitions to authorities.

PAPISHU!: If you were here I would give you a kiss right on the face for posting Launeys Thesis!
[i]D'abord on ne parla qu'en poésie ; on ne s'avisa de raisonner que long-temps après.[/i] J. J. Rousseau, Sur l'origine des langues. 1783

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

¡Papapishu! wrote:
Why yes. For example, I posted an analysis of a description of human sacrifice in Nahuatl from the Primeros Memoriales over on Studylangs.
Err, yes, just the thing to read before breakfast :|

You've finally given me the push I needed to register over on studylangs though, so thanks for that. I've gone through a lot of the sentences you posted, and much to my surprise, most of the words and quite a few of the phrases are in the vocab at the end of Nahuatl As Written. So despite it's somewhat odd method of presentation, I don't regret downloading it.

I think the text you referred to above needs a "health warning", how about :

Topilhuane i:mcha:ntzinco ini:n ma:caya:c xicte:chi:huilica:n !!

Does that makes any sense to you? :o

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

Radagast wrote:
marconatrix wrote:

A: They don't. the people writing nahuatl back then weren't linguists for the most part but missionaries who spoke spanish and latin which doesn't have or mark those distinctions. They simply didn't hear them or didn't have a clue about how to write them. As for the other langauges I have no idea why some linguists still thing some phonemes are too exotic to be allowed to make it into writing.
Yes but books for learners need to put them in, otherwise the writer seems to be saying, "well I know where they all go!" which kinda gives the beginner an inferiority complex right at the start. I do understand that where a language is mainly written by fluent speakers, they often find all the linguists' "bells and whistles" a bit of a pain, since they do know how to speak the language, and only need enough clues in the spelling to be able to recognise the words in context. They don't need pronunciation instructions. However where languages have nearly died out and are being brought back (e.g. where they've skipped a generation or two) incomplete orthographies can lead to a lot of bad pronunciation.
A:In the first twohundred years of Mexico's colonial history nahuatl was a de facto second official language of Mexico. And people were educated to write in nahuatl. In 1696 however the speaking and writing of all indigenous languages in public was banned by Carlos II of spain. That reversed the situation and started the hispanization of latin america for real and began the decimation of indigenous languages. I have read original documents I found in an archive in a mexican convent stating that the friars should punish indians they heard speaking nahuatl with 40 lashes and burn any documents written in the language. Thats how you end a tradition of literacy.
Gu dearbh fhein! Thanks for this information. I really hadn't realised that any native american language had had a substantial literary tradition (Cherokee aside). The impression I've got is that generally literacy by missionaries was mostly seen as a half-way house to speaking and writing the dominant lang. and that where it was practiced, it usually kept to the (christian) religious domain. Otherwise writing was generally in the dominant language (true in parts of europe too, and elsewhere).

Was Nahuatl exceptional, or were/are there other langs like it (presumably in central and south america)?
A: Oh yes. They wrote poetry, histories of peoples and places, landclaims, histories of noble lineages, myths and legends, petitions to authorities.
Yes, I should have looked round a bit first, shouldn't I :oops:

Thanks again!

Radagast
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast »

marconatrix wrote: Was Nahuatl exceptional, or were/are there other langs like it (presumably in central and south america)?
There were literary traditions although with corpora considerably smaller than for nahuatl in a number of mesoamerican languages including Mayan langauges such as Yucatec, K'iche', Kaqchikel, Tzeltal, P'urhépecha, Totonac, Zoque, Otomi, Zapotec, Mixtec, and others. Many of these have grammars written in early colonial times and a number of letters, titles, testaments, and even mythological documents written in them.

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

At http://nah.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usuario%3AAkapochtli I found :
A:quin Nehhua:tl

Notechpa ze tepitzin: Onitlakat ipan Guadalajara, Xalixko. Ye ixkichka zempowalli xiwitl onitlahtoh nawatlahtolli. No iwan nikimmachtia tokualnezcatlahtol intech miyakintin tlakah. Nikmati in Mazewalcopa in nemih mexikah ipan Guerrero, ipan Milpa Alta, ipan Cuextecapan. Ka nehwatl ompa oninen. Oninomachtih in ye wehcaw nemiliztlahtollotl. Zan ye iw onikchiw se Tlahtoltekpantiliztli itechpa tlahtolchiwaliztli, no miyak onikihkuiloh ilwikamatiliztli, teoyotl iwan mexikatl itlatzimpewaliz.

Intla tinechnotzazneki xinechihkuilo: akapochtli@yahoo.com.mx. Ahnozo no nikan ipan ixnamikiliztli (discusión).
Which I was surprised to find I could partly translate, so I think it means :

"Who am I? A little bit about me. I was born in Guadalajara, in Xalix. That is to say, all my life ('years') I have spoken the Nahuatl language. Nor(??) in addition I teach our excellent language to them [miyaquintin?] full time/in the daytime/some days (?). I know the popular traditions of those who live (speak?) Me:xihcah in G., MA and C. I used to live there. I have been learning for a long time the living traditions. (Something like 'I have already been doing it for scores of years??) ..."

Can anyone check this, or complete it? Or tell me I've got it all wrong :?

(They seem to have a spelling war going on too, I feel quite at home :) )

¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

My attempt:

Who am I?

A little about me: I was born in Guadalajara, Jalisco. I have spoken Nahuatl for twenty years. Also I teach our beautiful language to many people. I know the dialect(s) of the Mexicans living in Guerrero, in Mila Alta, and in Cuextecapan. I live there. I have learned the now distant (life-speaking-ness?). Similarly(?) I have made an article(?) about producing speech(?), and I have written much religious information, spirituality and the (tlatzim-beginning?) of the Mexican.

If you want to talk to me, write to me: (email). Or alternatively here on the talk page.

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

¡Papapishu! wrote:My attempt:

Who am I?

A little about me: I was born in Guadalajara, Jalisco. I have spoken Nahuatl for twenty years. Also I teach our beautiful language to many people. I know the dialect(s) of the Mexicans living in Guerrero, in Mila Alta, and in Cuextecapan. I live there. I have learned the now distant (life-speaking-ness?). Similarly(?) I have made an article(?) about producing speech(?), and I have written much religious information, spirituality and the (tlatzim-beginning?) of the Mexican.

If you want to talk to me, write to me: (email). Or alternatively here on the talk page.
Thanks! It's nice to know I wasn't too far off the track. There seem to be a lot of on-line resources, I'm quite impressed. Perhaps you should add these to your list :

A site for beginners with good grammar summary, basic lessons and some interpreted texts :

http://weber.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/nahuatl/nahuatl.html

An on-line version of one of the big dictionaries, also with a detailed grammar summary, in French however :

http://sites.estvideo.net/malinal/nahuatl.page.html

¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

marconatrix wrote:An on-line version of one of the big dictionaries, also with a detailed grammar summary, in French however :

http://sites.estvideo.net/malinal/nahuatl.page.html
Already got it.

Circeus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Circeus »

For the record, there's a published, more easily accessible version of Launey's thesis in the form of a "Nahuatl as a foreign language" book. It,s a 2-volume books with exercises and texts: Introduction à la langue et à la littérature aztèques. It's also the source of some, if not most grammatical material from the Wimmer website.
Golden age set the moral standard, the Silver Age revised it, the Bronze Age broke free of it and the Rust Age ran wild with it. -- A. David Lewis

We're all under strict orders not to bite the newbies. -- Amaya

¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

I see you copied that from WorldCat. What is with that site and combining diacritics?

Circeus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Circeus »

¡Papapishu! wrote:
I see you copied that from WorldCat. What is with that site and combining diacritics?
Next time I'll retype it separately ;-)
Golden age set the moral standard, the Silver Age revised it, the Bronze Age broke free of it and the Rust Age ran wild with it. -- A. David Lewis

We're all under strict orders not to bite the newbies. -- Amaya

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

[quote="Pthug"]oh shit you just called black people in britain "african-americans"
my
god[/quote]