!X?? phonology

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Maknas wrote:(I think ?? is just a way of writing a single sound without using piled diacritics... if they're seperate, please correct me :oops: )
I was confused about that for a while too, but:
Traill wrote:Long vowels are clearly to be interpreted as a sequence of like vowels, that is, as consisting of two morae
So, you're partially right: ?? is a single sound [o~_H:], but it does contrast with ?' (i.e. ? with acute).

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

pharazon wrote:
Maknas wrote:(I think ?? is just a way of writing a single sound without using piled diacritics... if they're seperate, please correct me :oops: )
I was confused about that for a while too, but:
Traill wrote:Long vowels are clearly to be interpreted as a sequence of like vowels, that is, as consisting of two morae
So, you're partially right: ?? is a single sound [o~_H:], but it does contrast with ?' (i.e. ? with acute).
Hmm... Interesting... At least I was close :wink:

*is overwhelmed by number of phonemes*

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Nuorese? Does he say where that's spoken? I hadn't heard of it.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

pharazon wrote:Drydic_guy is right, I did mean retroflex. Maybe there're some areas with d_>, but I don't know about them.
Yeah, I thought the original was pretty fucked up-looking.
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Salmoneus wrote:Nuorese? Does he say where that's spoken? I hadn't heard of it.
He says that some consider it a subdialect of Logudorese. It's basically the eastern middle of the island.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Where did you get this book, Pharazon? And are there any other books you can get on it?
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Rory wrote:Where did you get this book, Pharazon? And are there any other books you can get on it?
The local university library (University of Arizona). There aren't any more books on it there; I imagine you'd have to look in journals to get more information. And if you're wondering, the book is "Phonetic and phonological studies of !X?? Bushman", by Traill, and semi-available from Amazon.

VeganGrinder
Niš
Niš

Post by VeganGrinder »

Wow, I have just read the !X?? Phonology. That is one really crazy phonology. Teaching your kid to speak that must be a pain in the you know what. But besides all that, it's well I find it to be remarkable anyways. All the pharyngealization of vowels, preglottalizing, stacking of characteristics like velarized, pharyngealized and prenasalized or whatever. Something like that anyways. I noticed on another thread somehwere someone proposed an idea, probably half in jest that we could have a competition on who could make an alphabet for it. What does everyone think? I think it is a bloody good idea. I think I will start to make one right away. I would love to see other people do that too.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

A syllabry would be more fun :mrgreen:
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

VeganGrinder
Niš
Niš

Post by VeganGrinder »

Sorry, when I said "alphabet" I meant script. You could do it however you would like.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Update: I've written up a bigger page on !X??, going into quite a bit more detail than I did here. Check it out: http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~pharazo/Xoo.html.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Utterly ridiculous.