How your idiolect differs from the standard language

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

TaylorS wrote:I have already described my phonology around here ad nauseum and will not repeat.

As for grammar:

There is a profound degree of phonetic reduction of verbal auxiliaries that are also encliticized to the Subject.

"I'm going to have been going to the store."
[aː.mn̩.nəv.vɪn ɡoːn tʰə.d̪ə.stɔːʁ]
I'm'onna've been goin' to da store.
I do this too, and should note that in practice* this seems to be extremely common in everyday speech in a wide range of modern North American English dialects (even though the exact details of such may vary significantly).
TaylorS wrote:"got" is often used as a passive voice marker instead of "was"

"he got robbed!"
This, that is, the use of the dynamic** get-passive seems to be a shared feature of practically all modern NAE dialects.
TaylorS wrote:My dialect in unusually conservative in the usage of the Subjunctive Mood, even the Present Subjective for of "Be" is very common.

"You be good, young man."
NAE dialects seem to be amongst the most conservative with regard to the subjunctive amongst English dialects in general, but that definitely outdoes most NAE dialects with regard to conservatism if it is not a newer innovation which has reverted much of the erosion of the subjunctive.
TaylorS wrote:The preposition "By" is often used in place of "at" or "to".

"I'm'onna go by the store 'n grab a pop"

He's stoppin' by Eric's to get the car"
My dialect has this too, and unlike many of the features above this is really dialect-specific and is not just a general feature of colloquial NAE. (For instance, the actual use of this varies significantly in my own dialect depending on the degree of GA influence, with greater GA influence correlating with lower frequencies of the use thereof.) Note that this might be a substratum feature inherited from Germanic languages other than English, even though I myself have not seen this firmly documented per se.

* The matter is that the actual study of North American English or, for that matter, English in general seems quite behind the times in that while much has been written about English, such seems to actually concern what I would call classical English rather than actual contemporary everyday spoken English. For all that has been written about English in linguistics literature, there is a lot going on in NAE at the present which is simply not written about in such.

** This is in opposition to the static be-passive inherited from what could be called classical English.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

johanpeturdam
Sanci
Sanci
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia, originally: Funningur, Faroe Islands

Post by johanpeturdam »

There isn't really any standard Faroese language, although the orthography is based on the central Faroese dialects.

My dialect belongs to the northern group, which means:

Long <á> is pronounced /a:/, however I and the younger use the 'standard' diphthong /Oa/
Long <ó> is prononuced /9u/, and not /Ou/. Short ó is /9/ though.
The diphthong <ei> is pronounced /Oi/, not /ai/.

That's pretty much it really.
Ungur nemur, gamal fremur
Da giovani si impara, da adulti si applica

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

amn't as a contraction of am not – i hear other dialects say ain't or aren't.

also i heard that some dialects can't say 'I've not done X' and have to say 'I haven't done X' – i can say either.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

'You be...' is more of a fixed phrase than anything, it's immensely common here:

'You be nice to Grandma now'

'You be good, son!'

It's more like an imperative that just happens to have the subject stated, to be honest, like 'you go down to the shops and buy us a loaf of bread and you sit there and don't move.'

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Yng: I think it's a different verb form, myself, encoding something like the continuous aspect. Note that the reply to "You be nice to your sister!" is not "But I AM nice to her!", but "But I'm BEING nice to her!".

Although I'd just call it a subjunctive, for simplicity.

-----

Myself, I speak the standard dialect. I've one or two phonological quirks (t, tS and S have nothing in common; /r/ is labiodental; /s/ is bilabial-interdental; the difference between clear and dark l is primarily alveolar/dental poa; I've no laminal alveolar sounds except possibly tS), but no phonemic ones. Because of my heritage, I started out with a very confused approach to the trap/bath split - I was generally southern, but had northern realisations in some words, and hypercorrections in others, and for a long time I even had a semantic split between /k{sl/ and /kAsl/. But time has worn down all of that, I think, except for /pl{stIk/, which I sporadically say /plAstIk/.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Interestingly, my little sister (who's two) is currently shunning the past tense of verbs in favour of 'I did go' and 'I did do' etc. Is periphrasis particularly common in young children? Maybe she's forming her own dialect. :p

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

YngNghymru wrote:Interestingly, my little sister (who's two) is currently shunning the past tense of verbs in favour of 'I did go' and 'I did do' etc. Is periphrasis particularly common in young children? Maybe she's forming her own dialect. :p
It's probably more about having learned that I did (verb) can also work as a past tense, and is a lot simpler in terms of memory.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Yeah, I know, although it's not something that's that common in speech. Mind you she might've derived it from 'did you' and 'I didn't'.

Edit: Another thing I've noticed about the local dialect (and probably particularly my idiolect) is that we seem to've regularised stress patterns in a number of irregularly-stressed words, at least in colloquial speech. I'll think of some examples tomorrow, but I don't imagine this is particularly uncommon...

Thomas Winwood
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Thomas Winwood »

Salmoneus wrote:Yng: I think it's a different verb form, myself, encoding something like the continuous aspect. Note that the reply to "You be nice to your sister!" is not "But I AM nice to her!", but "But I'm BEING nice to her!".
Continuous imperative?
Salmoneus wrote:Because of my heritage, I started out with a very confused approach to the trap/bath split - I was generally southern, but had northern realisations in some words, and hypercorrections in others, and for a long time I even had a semantic split between /k{sl/ and /kAsl/. But time has worn down all of that, I think, except for /pl{stIk/, which I sporadically say /plAstIk/.
I moved from Birmingham to Oxfordshire at a relatively young age, so I know your pain. (Nowadays I only ever take a b[æ]th, and a man's home will always be his c[æ]stle.)

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Primarily, I tend to velarize /l/ to [l_G] (not all the way to [5]) in all positions, even word-initially and preceding front vowels. Normal "dark" l is still [5] for me though. I also tend to have lip rounding for /A/ when followed by velars, so I pronounce "long" something like [l_GQN]. The "o" diphthong I tend to pronounce approximately as [8U], so "pillow" --> [p_hIl_G8U].

I have a propensity to use "might" + modal on occasion, and may jocularly stack modals and tentativity markers on occasion (though this last quirk is probably more of a personality issue than dialectical). I might should probably maybe consider possibly stopping doing that. Perhaps.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

bulbaquil wrote:Primarily, I tend to velarize /l/ to [l_G] (not all the way to [5]) in all positions, even word-initially and preceding front vowels. Normal "dark" l is still [5] for me though.
Common, although I have [5] in all positions.
I also tend to have lip rounding for /A/ when followed by velars, so I pronounce "long" something like [l_GQN].
Doesn't "long" have /O/? It does IMD, at least.
I have a propensity to use "might" + modal on occasion, and may jocularly stack modals and tentativity markers on occasion (though this last quirk is probably more of a personality issue than dialectical). I might should probably maybe consider possibly stopping doing that. Perhaps.
Reminds me of the "might maybe __" construction that I hear all the time from my family and probably overuse.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Nortaneous wrote: Doesn't "long" have /O/? It does IMD, at least.
I'm in a cot/caught, father/bother merger dialect; both are /A/.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Nortaneous wrote:Doesn't "long" have /O/? It does IMD, at least.
This small sentence made me realize how [O~] must sound. That's how I pronounce (EN) /O/ it in (EN) /lON/.

(Remember, I speak French, so it's not that difficult for me to distinguish nasal vowels. I'm pretty sure most people nasalize it somehow in English.)
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

I have trouble distinguishing all the different 'uhh' sounds. I find it difficult to hear the difference between /ə/, /ʊ/ and /ʌ/... is that bad? :P

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

I hear a clear difference between /ə ʊ/. I don't know what /ʌ/ sounds like.

I took the lyrics of this Norwegian dub of a song from a movie, and then rewrote it into my Swedish idiolect.

The Norwegian original is as follows:
Et pust av vind gir mig svar, og leder meg til den jeg var.
En lysende flamme skal vise meg vei, og der, vil du vente på meg.
Hvor reisen måtte gå, og dager blir til år, fører den meg hjem, til deg igjen.
Jeg løper med vinden, som brennende ild. Der elvene møtes, der hører jeg til.
Jeg hører en stemme, som husker mitt navn.
Den tar meg tilbake, og den bærer meg fram, og om jeg mister alt, og når jeg ser etter tegn, da tenner du en stjerne, som våker over meg.
Du danser med vinden, som brennende ild. Ja! Der livet begynner, der hører jeg til.
Når vinden har stilnet, kan jeg hvile hos deg.
Alt er her. Alt jeg trenger, venter på mig.
The English translation:
A breeze of wind, gives me answers, and leads me to who I was.
An illuminating flame shall show me the way, and there, you will be waiting for me.
Wherever the trip must go, and days turn into years, it brings me home, to you again.
I run with the wind, like burning fire. Where the rivers meet is where I belong.
I hear a voice, that remembers my name.
It takes me back, and it lifts me forward, and if I lose everything, and when I look for signs, then you will light a star, that watches over me.
You dance with the wind, like burning fire. Yes! Where the life begins is where I belong.
When the wind has calmed down, I can rest with you.
Everything is here. All I need, is waiting for me.
Finally, in my idiolect, with an adapted orthography:
Ein blåst av vinde gjever me svar, og leider mig til hans eg var.
Ein ljusande loge skal visa me veg, og der, vil du venta mig.
Hvert ferda enn må gå, og dagar verda år, så fører hun mig heim, after til di.
Eg hløyp med vinden, som brennande eld. Hvar elvarna møtast, der høyre eg til.
Eg høyre eina stemme/røst, som minst navnet mitt.
Hun teker mig til baka, og hun ber mig fram, og um eg miste allt, og nær eg se efter teikn, då tenner du eina stjerne, som vaker yver me.
Du dansar med vinden, som brennande eld. Ja! Hvar livet byrjar, der høyre eg til.
Nær vinden hever stillnat, kann eg hvila hå de.
Allt er her. Allt eg må hava, ventar mig.
Standard Swedish as close to the Norwegian lyrics as possible followed by a version as close to my lyrics as possible:
En pust av vind giver mig svar, och leder mig till den jag var.
En lysande flamma skall visa mig väg, och där, vill du vänta på mig.
Vart resan måtte gå, och dagar bliver till år, för den mig hem, till dig igen.
Jag löper med vinden, som brännande eld. Där älvarna möts, där hör jag till.
Jag hör en stämma, som minns mitt namn.
Den tager mig till baka, och den bär mig fram, och om jag mister allt, och när jag ser efter tecken, då tänder du en stjärna, som vakar över mig.
Du dansar med vinden, som brännande eld. Ja! Där livet begynner, där hör jag till.
När vinden haver stillnat, kan jag vila hos dig.
Allt är här. Allt jag behöver, väntar på mig.

En blåst av vind giver mig svar, och leder mig till hans jag var.
En lysande låga skall visa mig väg, och där, vill du vänta mig.
Vart färden än må gå, och dagar varder år, så för hon mig hem, åter till din.
Jag löper med vinden, som brännande eld. Var älvarna möts, där hör jag till.
Jag hör en stämma/röst, som minns namnet mitt.
Hon tager mig till baka, och hon bär mig fram, och om jag mister allt, och när jag ser efter tecken, då tänder du en stjärna, som vakar över mig.
Du dansar med vinden, som brännande eld. Ja! Var livet börjar, där hör jag till.
När vinden haver stillnad, kan jag vila hos dig.
Allt är här. Allt jag må hava, väntar mig.
Pronunciation in X-SAMPA because I am lazy:
[EIn bl`2s_jt
A: "vIn:@
jE:r mE: s_jvA:r
o: lEI:@r mI:g
tI: hAns_j EI: vA:r

EIn "L`U\:s_jAn:I "lo:g@
sa: "vi:s_jA mE: vEI:
o: dE:r vIl`: U\: vEntA mI:g

KEt` fE:rA En: mo: go:
o: dAgAr vEr:A o:r
so: f9:r@r hU\: mI:g hEIm
At:@ t`I: di:

EI: l`2jp mE: vIn:n
s2m brEn:An:@ El`:
kA:r El`vAr:A m9:tAs_jt
dE:r h2jr@ EI: tI:

EI: h2jr EInA s_jtEm:@/R2s_jt
s2m mIn:s_jt nAvn@ mIt
hU\: tE:r mI:g tI: bA:kA
o: hU\: bE:r mI:g frAm
o: Y:m EI: mIs_jt@ Al`t
o: nE:r EI: s_jE: Et:@r tEIkn
do: tEn:@ d`U\ nA stjE:n`@
s2m vA:k@r 2:v@r mE:

dU\: dAns_jAr mE: vIn:n
s2m brEn:An:@ El`:
jA:
kA: l`i:@ b2rjAr
dE:r h2jr@ EI: tI:

nE:r vIn:n hE: s`tIl`:nA
kAn EI: kvi:l`A ho: dE:
Al`t E:r hE:r
Al`t EI: mo: hA:
vEntAr mI:g]
Last edited by Skomakar'n on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

As far as I can tell, my dialect follows the standard (or at least General American) almost perfectly apart from some small details. For one, I tend to pronounce the diphthongs /aI eI OI aU @U/ as closer to [ae Ee oe ao @o]. I also use the accusative rather than possessive forms of pronouns with gerunds, hence "you chewing so loud annoys me" rather than "your chewing so loud annoys me". Apart from such minor differences, I have noticed nothing really distinctive or unusual.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

"I'm going to go to the store."
[nəɣəʉ̯̽ð̞ːəsto̝ɵ̯˞]
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

TzirTzi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by TzirTzi »

Roughly SSBE plus bade-bad split (that is, three phonemic open unrounded vowels: /a a: A:/) which I understand is a West Country thing (I'm originally from Bristol) and.. basically that's it, apart from some West Country-specific lexis and using <aye> for <yes> a lot. As far as SSBE is the standard, I deviate remarkably little from it. Grammatically I'm entirely Standard English.
Salmoneus wrote:The existence of science has not been homosexually proven.

Davoush
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Davoush »

I speak Scouse (although I speak a much weaker version outside Liverpool) which has some interesting features such as /t k/ -> [ts x], the vowel typically represented by 'er ir' is [I:] or [e:]. /r/ is a flap in all positions.

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

I speak a fairly standard form of France French, expectingly merging /9~/ with /E~/,/A/ with /a/, /J/ with /nj/. And my /E~/ is really more like a [{~].

I merge /2/ /9/ and /@/ as a single sound (but I think everybody does that since that's a sound change that happened in middle French, and so those those who claim not to merge those are lying).

I don't contrast /u/ and /w/, nor /y/ and /H/ but I don't think such a contrast ever really existed in French so…

Unusually for someone from the northern half of France, I also merge /E/ and /e/, which is more typically of southern accents. I preserve /o/ and /O/ as distinct sounds, though.

aquatius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by aquatius »

My dialect pretty much is the standard language :/, perhaps with a tiny dash of west-country, but otherwise very RP and conventional.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

In Slovenia, it's not entirely clear even what the 'standard' is supposed to be. The written standard is one thing, but nobody speaks that except news-readers and documentary narrators (and some stilted actors that everybody hates). 'Colloquial standard' varies a lot, and you can usually tell which part of the country people are from, simply from how they pronounce it. I guess that dropping of word-final non-stressed i is ubiquitous, as is (to a lesser extent) final -l dropping - -el usually turns into -u (or -o for those from the north-east).

My dialect (Ljubljana) takes this to extremes. Instead of da bi hotel, we say dab hotu. There are also some vowel-quality changes with mid front vowels, but I try to avoid these, moving closer to the standard on them. So if an average Ljubljana-n (?) would say ["mEgla], I would say ["m@gla], as is apparently the norm. Another thing is loss of feminine dual endings, which I wholeheartedly subscribe to: sta šle instead of purportedly standard sta šli (although I doubt anyone would say that). I try to keep the dual as much as possible due, as well as genitive objects in negated sentences (the latter is a feature a lot of people don't have, although everybody's kind of aware that it's 'wrong').

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

My dialect could be called "general American" but a few people have told me I sound a tad British.
I live in Texas, and have lived more or less in the South my whole life so far, but I don't have any trace of what would be called a "Southern accent". I do say "y'all", however.
I often substitute the glottal stop for /t/.
I tend to say "whenever" in lieu of "when".
I HATE when people pronounce "poem" /pOm/ or /p@Um/. I say /pO@m/.
I say /r\uf/ for "roof", not /r\Uf/.
I use the word "retarded" quite a bit as an insult, something that marks me as a youth in many settings.
I render the past tense of "to shit" as shat, and the past participle as either shat or shitten.
"Irregardless", "a whole 'nother", "could care less", and "all of a sudden" are not a part of my vocabulary.
I often speak in the present tense when recalling past events - "so there I am and there's a ton of traffic", et cetera.
I call it a hotdog (and yes, I compound it), not a wiener or a frankfurter.
I say soda, and sometimes soda pop. But never just pop.

In more idiolectal terms, I borrow extensively from other dialects and even other languages for slang (I say "mitä vittua" sometimes when I'm confused, ever since I tried to learn Finnish, for example). I also like to spontaneously switch out certain English phrases for French equivalents that I think sound better. And sometimes, just for funzies, I use thou for the familiar second-person singular, with the whole package of thee/thy/thine and most of the conjugations.
YngNghymru wrote:
'You be...' is more of a fixed phrase than anything, it's immensely common here:

'You be nice to Grandma now'

'You be good, son!'

It's more like an imperative that just happens to have the subject stated, to be honest, like 'you go down to the shops and buy us a loaf of bread and you sit there and don't move.'
This is simply a correct usage of the subjunctive mood, whose presence is often forgotten in English. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctiv ... in_English

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Oh, yeah. Irregular verbs that don't have to be irregular, or are irregular in different ways in different dialects.

The Swedish word tvinga means to force (somebody or something to something). I think it's common to conjugate it regularly (tvinga, tvingade, tvingat) in Central Sweden, but I and a couple of people I know here down south say tvinga, tvang/tvack, tvungit.

I've heard a lot of people conjugate dyka (to dive) as dyka, dykte, dykt recently, which I have never heard in my life before. I would say dyka, dök, dukit.

The verb spilla means to spill, and up in Central Sweden, I think the common conjugation is spilla, spillde, spillt, while I and the same couple of people down here would say spilla, spall, spullit.

For many people, and always in written Swedish, the present tense of fara (to travel) is far, but I say fär. This also goes for a couple of other words; draga (to drag) becomes drager, but I say dräg(er), hava (to have) becomes haver, but I say häv(er), and taga (to take) becomes tager, but I say k(er).

The word heta means to be named, and the standard conjugations is present tense heter and preterite hette. I would say heita in the infinitive, heit in the present tense and het in the preterite.

------------------

I don't know if I've previously mentioned it, but Standard Swedish have gained a couple of ugly final schwas stuck in into places where all of the other four large Northern Germanic languages don't have them. I don't have them either.

Code: Select all

+---------+----------+------------+-----------+--------+-----------+-------------+
| Swedish | me       | NO Nynorsk | NO Bokmål | Danish | Icelandic | Faroese     |
+---------+----------+------------+-----------+--------+-----------+-------------+
| vatten  | vatn     | vatn       | vann      | vand   | vatn      | vatn        |
| botten  | botn     | botn       | botn/bunn | bund   | botn      | botnur      |
| fågel   | fugl     | fugl       | fugl      | fugl   | fugl      | fuglur      |
| nagel   | nagl     | nagl       | negl      | negl   | nagl      | naglur/negl |
Note that I have the plural näglar of nag(e)l, while Standard Swedish has the regular naglar.

------------------

Also, I just about never pronounce non-initial /v/:

av /A:v/ [A:] (of, off, by)
hav /hA:v/ [hA:] (sea)
havet /hA:v@t/ [hA:@] (the sea)
skrev /skre:v/ [s_jkrE:I] (wrote)

But:

hamna /"ham:na/ ["hAv:nA] (to end up)
ramn /"ram:n/ ["RAv:n] (raven)

------------------

I have probably mentioned it before, but I have both /R r/, while Standard Swedish has only /r/:

röra      /"r2:ra/     ["R9:rA]       (to touch, a mix, a mess)
räv       /"rE:v/      ["RE:]         (fox)
bageri    /bA:g@r"i:/  ["bA:k@R"i:]   (bakery)
rum       /rU\m/       [RY:m]         (room)
bara      /"bA:ra/     ["bEr@]        (only, just)
ärr       /Er:/        [Er:]          (scar)
knapra    /"knA:pra/   ["knA:prA]     (munch)
uppriktig /"U\prIktIg/ ["Y:p:RIktE:r] (honest)
Also, where Standard Swedish sticks to /U\/, I alternate between /U\ Y/:

du    /dU\:/    [dU\:]     (thou)
upp   /U\p/     [Y:p:]     (up)
rulla /"rU\l:a/ ["RY:l`:A] (to roll)
runa  /"rU\:na/ ["RU\:nA]  (rune)
Where Standard Swedish sticks to /u/, I sometimes alternate between /U\ u/:

tro    /tru:/     [trU\:]    (believe)
trodde /trud@/    [tru@]     (believed)
bro    /bru:/     [brU\:]    (bridge)
vuxen  /"vU\ks@n/ ["uks_j:n] (grown)
Of course, there is my tendency of using /9/ where Standard Swedish uses /o O/ (and in few cases /U\ A/):

ju     /jU\:/    [j9]      (no English equivalent)
tjata  /"s\A:ta/ ["s\9:tA] (to keep telling or asking of something, to chat)
såg    /so:g/    [s9:g]    (a saw)
gott   /gOt/     [g9t]     (good [neuter singular])
botten /"bOt@n/  [b9tn]    (bottom)
koll   /kOl/     [k9l`]    (something one has if one is updated on a particular subject or in general)
kol    /ko:l/    [k9:l`]   (coal, carbon)
hål    /ho:l/    [h9:l`]   (hole)
borra  /"bOra/   ["b9:rA]  (to drill)
Last edited by Skomakar'n on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

äreo wrote: "Irregardless", "a whole 'nother", "could care less", and "all of a sudden" are not a part of my vocabulary.
Interesting that you put "all of a sudden" next to those other ones – I've seen the others rallied against by prescriptivists, but "all of a sudden" comes across as standard/posh to me. (It's just an idiom, after all.)

Also I always find it weird when I hear people saying "could care less" because it's clearly meant to be sarcastic, but they're not saying it that way. That and I wouldn't say it at all.