The Suppletion Thread

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Echobeats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Echobeats »

Dingbats wrote:
TomHChappell wrote:"He went home" originally was a proper answer for "Whither (i.e. which way) did he go?". It was not originally a proper answer for "Where (i.e to what place) did he go?"
Is this really how the distinction between "where" and "whither" worked? In the related Swedish, which retains the contrast (at least in the standard), both of those questions would use the equivalent of "whither", since both ask for a direction. "Where" would mean something like "In which place did he walk around without going anywhere?" (but is of course in practice just nothing you would say).
Yeah, whither means "where to". I've never heard of a difference between different kinds of "where to".
[i]Linguistics will become a science when linguists begin standing on one another's shoulders instead of on one another's toes.[/i]
—Stephen R. Anderson

[i]Málin eru höfuðeinkenni þjóðanna.[/i]
—Séra Tómas Sæmundsson

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

The paradigm was where/whither/whence and here/hither/hence. I don’t remember if there was a third set for some other adverb.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

There/thither/thence.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Echobeats wrote:
Dingbats wrote:
TomHChappell wrote:"He went home" originally was a proper answer for "Whither (i.e. which way) did he go?". It was not originally a proper answer for "Where (i.e to what place) did he go?"
Is this really how the distinction between "where" and "whither" worked? In the related Swedish, which retains the contrast (at least in the standard), both of those questions would use the equivalent of "whither", since both ask for a direction. "Where" would mean something like "In which place did he walk around without going anywhere?" (but is of course in practice just nothing you would say).
Yeah, whither means "where to". I've never heard of a difference between different kinds of "where to".
AIUI you're saying something like:
here/there/where was locative/adessive (location);
hither/thither/whither was allative (destination or goal);
hence/thence/whence was ablative (source).

But AIUI English actually used here/there/where for destinations and goals, and used hither/thither/whither for directions.

I could be wrong.

[EDIT]: In which case I should have said "whither" and "whitherward", rather than "where" and "whither". That is, the original "went" was an answer to "whitherward". [/EDIT]
Last edited by TomHChappell on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Actually there is a suppletion in the paradigm, just a different one I hadn't spotted before:

where - whither - whence - when
there - thither - thence - then
here - hither - hence - now

Whither did 'hen' go?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Also, why does "here" have /i/ when "where" and "there" have /e/?

Actually, I guess the real question would be why "where" and "there" have /e/, since <eCe> is usually /i/.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

[null]
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos