Odd natlang features thread

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Odd natlang features thread

Post by Acid Badger »

Disfixes I guess are odd enough: There is a trend across Central German dialects to lenite certain intervocalic consonants, including combinations of a nasal and a plosive. Morphologically this meant such clusters were lenited in plural forms, where they'd be followed by a vowel, but not in singular forms, where they'd be in word-final position. Together with further sound changes, this created some interesting patterns in various dialects: [hant] vs [hɛn] "hand/s", [gʀɔnt] vs [gʀən] (Luxembourgish); [ʃlɑːx] vs [ʃləi̯], [dɑːx] vs [deː] (also Luxembourgish); [tsant] vs [tsɛŋ] "tooth/teeth", [hant] vs [hɛŋ] "hand/s" (Rhine Franconian); [kɛɪ̯nt] vs [kɛŋ] "child/children", [rəŋk] vs [riŋ] "ring/s", [vaːlt] vs [vɛl] "forest/s" and [ʃux] vs [ʃɔʊ̯] "shoe/s" (Upper Hessian); [kɛi̯nt] vs [kɛŋ] "child/children", [kruːk] vs [kryː] "jug/s" and [ʃtui̯ɐk] vs [ʃtʏr] "stork/s" (Ruhla dialect, Thuringia). Etc.

kanejam
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by kanejam »

Apparently the Papuan language Berik can inflect its verbs for 3 numbers, 5 tenses, 3 times of day, 2 distances, 3 sizes of object, 2 genders, sometimes 2 heights, as well as a continuous action marker (though not all at once it seems). The phrase kitobana means "he/she gives three large objects to a male in the sunlight". golbilint and terbefe are other forms from the same paradigm.

It also has the famous six vowel system /a e i o u ə/.
If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?

Here's a thread on Oscan.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Vijay wrote:I'm actually not sure that's so odd. At least, I know anecdotally that some languages have specialized words for 'to eat'...like 'to eat (anything)' vs. 'to eat a meal', and this distinction is found across a pretty wide variety of languages, too.
It's quite common also for sign languages to use different classifying verbs depending on what is being eaten and how.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Imralu wrote:
Vijay wrote:I'm actually not sure that's so odd. At least, I know anecdotally that some languages have specialized words for 'to eat'...like 'to eat (anything)' vs. 'to eat a meal', and this distinction is found across a pretty wide variety of languages, too.
It's quite common also for sign languages to use different classifying verbs depending on what is being eaten and how.
Interesting, thanks!

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

Toda has an unusual vowel system for a Dravidian language, and a lot of articulations.
Source PHOIBLE.
http://phoible.org/inventories/view/1793
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.