Odd natlang features thread

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Odd natlang features thread

Post by Yng »

Trebor wrote: - Voiceless stops cannot occur word-finally: e.g., arag 'he saw' ~ arkay/arkey 'I saw'.
Not that strange, is it?
- The language does not have independent articles or demonstratives, but attaches these determiners to the end of the noun. Further, two kinds of definite article exist: the first "used to mark new information or something just being introduced in a conversation" (-ka for masculine nouns, -ta for feminine nouns), the second used after "something has been introduced or if it is generally known" (-kii for masculine nouns, -tii for feminine nouns) (p. 31).
Not that weird at all - the only odd thing is that they call the first definite article, which is pretty much the textbook definition of indefinite, definite.

The phonology stuff is cool, though.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

The link Trebor gave on Somali vowel harmony doesn't work but this one does, if anybody was interested.
https://ryantxanson.com/media/doc/somal ... armony.pdf

The harmony is described as +ATR /i e { } 3\ / spreading with priority over -ATR /I E a u O/, particularly leftward rather than rightward.

---

Also, I find it interesting that Mandarin doesn't actually have basic nouns meaning 'man' and 'woman'. Rather, it uses the adjectival verbs 'to be male' and 'to be female' along with the noun rén 人 'person', or standing by themselves in headless relative clauses followed by the relativizer ("REL") de 的 (the closest thing the language has to our typical European substantive adjectives).

男的 ~ 男人
nán de ~ nán rén
male REL ~ male person
'(a/the) man/men'

女的 ~ 女人
nǚ de ~ nǚ rén
female REL ~ female person
'(a/the) woman/women'

The headless relative clauses belong to a more familiar register than the other option.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

It's not strange for voiced plosives to be restricted from word-final position; it is strange for voiceless plosives to be restricted from word-final position if they can occur word-initially.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

In modern NWC, nearly the reverse has occurred: the high central unrounded vowel*ï has become a syllabic liquid [l] (which is retroflex [L] after retroflex initials). See Coblin (1994: 108).

Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trebor »

Nortaneous wrote:It's not strange for voiced plosives to be restricted from word-final position; it is strange for voiceless plosives to be restricted from word-final position if they can occur word-initially.
The latter is precisely the case in Somali: tag 'go (imperative)' and kari 'cook/boil (imperative)' are perfectly acceptable example lexemes.

Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trebor »

Yng wrote:Not that strange, is it?
Nortaneous has clarified this issue.
Not that weird at all - the only odd thing is that they call the first definite article, which is pretty much the textbook definition of indefinite, definite.
But Zorc and Issa expressly state:
Note that there is a distinction between definite (with an article) and indefinite (without an article) equivalent to the English articles the versus a. Remember that there are two kinds of definite information: new (just being introduced in a conversation) which is marked by -a; and given (known by the speakers or already discussed) which is marked by -ii.
(pp. 39-40)

I'm still puzzled about this matter: your point is important. Maybe a linguist has done some work to figure out exactly what roles unmarked nouns versus -ka/-ta nouns play in Somali discourse.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

One thing I've always found a bit weird about Old Japanese is that there is a verb that seems to lack any stem...it's just the verb endings alone.

Compare the conjugations of the following verbs, all of the shimo-nidan class:

Code: Select all

受く:     uk-e     uk-e     uk-u     uk-uru     uk-ure     uk-eyo
混ず:    maz-e    maz-e    maz-u    maz-uru    maz-ure    maz-eyo
答ふ:  kotah-e  kotah-e  kotah-u  kotah-uru  kotah-ure  kotah-eyo
得:          e        e        u        uru        ure        eyo
the verb u "get; attain" seems to have no actual verb stem. I can't determine what could have caused this, for example any sound change that could have eliminated the original stem. It's just an anomaly.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

Trebor wrote:
Yng wrote:Note that there is a distinction between definite (with an article) and indefinite (without an article) equivalent to the English articles the versus a. Remember that there are two kinds of definite information: new (just being introduced in a conversation) which is marked by -a; and given (known by the speakers or already discussed) which is marked by -ii.
(pp. 39-40)

I'm still puzzled about this matter: your point is important. Maybe a linguist has done some work to figure out exactly what roles unmarked nouns versus -ka/-ta nouns play in Somali discourse.
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that it might be possible to introduce an additional informational structural notion here, of introduced definite nouns in the recent discourse. You might call this the "common ground" or "active topics". The new-definites would need to be distinguished from referents already mentioned, kind of like a switch reference system. Then the unmarked nouns would be nonce one-offs that either don't have specific referents i.e. generics, or aren't deemed particularly relevant. I would guess that there might be an additional morpheme for referring back to something mentioned by another person, i.e. pulling something out of irrelevance back into the conversation. That's my working theory.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

clawgrip wrote:One thing I've always found a bit weird about Old Japanese is that there is a verb that seems to lack any stem...it's just the verb endings alone.

Compare the conjugations of the following verbs, all of the shimo-nidan class:

Code: Select all

受く:     uk-e     uk-e     uk-u     uk-uru     uk-ure     uk-eyo
混ず:    maz-e    maz-e    maz-u    maz-uru    maz-ure    maz-eyo
答ふ:  kotah-e  kotah-e  kotah-u  kotah-uru  kotah-ure  kotah-eyo
得:          e        e        u        uru        ure        eyo
the verb u "get; attain" seems to have no actual verb stem. I can't determine what could have caused this, for example any sound change that could have eliminated the original stem. It's just an anomaly.
Almost the same thing occurs in Ket, with the verb meaning 'to eat'. The typical root is -a, but this is elided for a significant number of speakers:
ku-b-il
2.S-INAN.O-PST
"you ate it"

as well as in Ojibwe, with the verb izhi 'to say'. the verb itself is actually just a hanging 'initial', that would normally modify a root but none is actually present here. A couple different forms of the verb elide even this:
nindig 'he says to me' is analyzable as ni-ig '1-INV' with no phonological material present as the root at all.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

^ where's the -nd- come from?

Hongyan Qiang has four vowel POAs, but 24 vowels:
Attachments
hongyan.png
hongyan.png (13.77 KiB) Viewed 5997 times

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Nortaneous wrote:^ where's the -nd- come from?
Just epenthesis, also depending on the dialect the first person marker inserts a nasal before the nearest following consonant if it's any of /b d dZ g z Z/.
so, the same thing occurs with typical verbs:

ni-bizindaw-ig >> nimbizindaag 's/he listens to me'

ni-agwamo >> nindagwam 'I'm floating on the water'

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Theta wrote:
Just epenthesis, also depending on the dialect the first person marker inserts a nasal before the nearest following consonant if it's any of /b d dZ g z Z/.
Ah, so it's epenthetic insertion of /d/, followed by insertion of a nasal before that /d/ by the first person marker?
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Theta wrote:
clawgrip wrote:the verb u "get; attain" seems to have no actual verb stem. I can't determine what could have caused this, for example any sound change that could have eliminated the original stem. It's just an anomaly.
Almost the same thing occurs in Ket, with the verb meaning 'to eat'. The typical root is -a, but this is elided for a significant number of speakers:
ku-b-il
2.S-INAN.O-PST
"you ate it"
as well as in Ojibwe, with the verb izhi 'to say'. the verb itself is actually just a hanging 'initial', that would normally modify a root but none is actually present here. A couple different forms of the verb elide even this:
nindig 'he says to me' is analyzable as ni-ig '1-INV' with no phonological material present as the root at all.
Something similar holds for the Russian verb vynut' "take out", where the non-present stem forms only consist of affixes around a zero stem:
Present / future stem: vy-jm- (vy- is a prefix meaning "out", -jm- is the verb stem).
Infinitive stem / past stem: vy-nu-, with prefix vy- and semelfactive suffix -nu-
But at least the root shows up in the present stem.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Chengjiang wrote:
Theta wrote:
Ah, so it's epenthetic insertion of /d/, followed by insertion of a nasal before that /d/ by the first person marker?
exactly!

Hwhwhatting: is there really a separable semelfactive in Russian? neat

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Theta wrote:Hwhwhatting: is there really a separable semelfactive in Russian? neat
Semelfactive is one of the main uses of the suffix -nu-. It's productive, i.e. it can be used to form new semelfactive verbs, although some of theses coinages have spread beyond semelfactive use (e.g. colloquial faksanut' "to fax" is quite often used generally, not just for single instances of sending a fax.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Consonant clusters in a rGyalrongic language.

nvse 'morning', nvtsæ 'meal', ʁmno 'awl', χsmɑr 'wheat', ʁvdʑvər 'sprout', çɲɕə 'sweat', χscər 'danger', jmbjəmpɑ 'bird', ʁvrdʑɣə 'geminate', ʁjnzdəjnzdə 'cause to buy each other things (for their own benefit)'

Also: diachronics of sonority hierarchy change.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Are those all (apart from bird and the last one) monosyllables?

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Nortaneous wrote:Consonant clusters in a rGyalrongic language.
I know the paper is about phonology . . . but . . . that language has crazy causative formation.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

KathAveara wrote:Are those all (apart from bird and the last one) monosyllables?
Skimming the paper, it looks like they are, but the initial consonants tend to be re-syllabified as coda consonants when they follow a word ending with an open syllable.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

They're monosyllabic if you don't consider ʁ a vowel even though it's pronounced about as long as a vowel.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Lower Xumi contrasts all of /ts tʃ tʂ tɕ/ (though retroflex affricates are only from Tibetan loans), and has eight stop/affricate POAs total (adding /p t k q/). Japhug rGyalrong also has eight stop/affricate POAs: /p t ts tʂ tɕ c k q/. (Yanyuwa only has seven.) Also:
Japhug has an intriguing five-way contrast between /velar stop+j/ as in kjo ‘to cause to glide’, palatal stops co ‘valley’, /dental affricates+j/ ɯ-mtsjoʁ ‘beak’, alveolo-palatal affricates as in tɕoʁtsi ‘table’ and /uvular stop+j/ as in qjoʁ ‘to vomit’. Palatal stops can be followed by -ɣ-, -r- or -l- as in ɲcʰɣaʁ ‘birch bark’.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Nortaneous wrote:Consonant clusters in a rGyalrongic language.

nvse 'morning', nvtsæ 'meal', ʁmno 'awl', χsmɑr 'wheat', ʁvdʑvər 'sprout', çɲɕə 'sweat', χscər 'danger', jmbjəmpɑ 'bird', ʁvrdʑɣə 'geminate', ʁjnzdəjnzdə 'cause to buy each other things (for their own benefit)'

Also: diachronics of sonority hierarchy change.
And if you ever wondered what L'internationale sounded like in this language, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHGr3eNaL4

(Basically: tsəχtəsəskəftsətətɕə)
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

It sounds like they're dropping a lot of consonants in the song, which wouldn't really be that unusual, I suppose. It would be interesting to compare it to a sample of everyday speech.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Rabbits in Japanese may take the same numeral classifier as birds. This is because Buddhist monks in Japan used to be restricted to only eating birds, but they loved rabbit meat so much that they bullshitted up a justification that rabbits were actually birds, and that their ears were actually wings. Somehow people believed it.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P