The Bulgarian Thread

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

zmeiat_joro wrote:I means throw. Хвърча (hvyrchy) means somehting like летя (letjy) - fly, but not exactly. Hvyrchilo means kite. Hvyrlej means 'a throw away', as measure of distance. Vryhletjy means to come at someone with great speed (and possibly great force). When you derive adjectives from хвър- they're usually close in meaning to that last word.
Thank you.

Hlewagastiz
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Hlewagastiz »

To Io: Interesting changes, actually. The change e > o reminds of Polish, Russian and Ukrainian. The change ъ > o is the same we find in Slovene.

To zmeiat_joro: I do mean хвърлям, you're right. I'll abandon transcription, because it causes confusion :wink: .[/b]
1) Ayval b?? khii, khiivel b?? ay!
2) Мне некогда: Хлевагастиз
3) Exterminate lady-haters, now!

Ir
Niš
Niš

Post by Ir »

Io wrote:ръка ? рока
къща ? коща
The first one indeed must be spoken by Slovene immigrants :-), while the second is probably the same word as ka?ča in Slovene ('granary').

(The Slovene dialect with nasals is spoken in Austria (in Jaunfeld, Western Carinthia). It's of course very unsurprising that both cases appear on the border of the Slavic world.)

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Fir ihre informazion кашча is how we say it in mo vilaz zoli :D

But кашча, къща, коща mean house (in case you did not know that).

Slo immigrants where?! :roll:

granary στα βουλγαρικά είναι хамбар

This got me wondering Ire, did you downgraded the words kasca and kmet or we promoted them :D
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

ephealy
Niš
Niš

Post by ephealy »

When I was in Bulgaria (mostly Blagoevgrad and the Pirins), and trying to learn Bulgarian, I noticed something about the 'L' in certain words. It seemed that, in words like malcho, the tongue was possitioned further back in the mouth, instead of behind the teeth. Is this true, or was I just "hearing things?"

BTW, how does one use Cyrillic on the boards? Is there a place that lists the ISO codes?

Captain Crunch
Niš
Niš

Post by Captain Crunch »

Bulgarian is a creole created when Slavic speakers mixed with the Turkic-speaking Bulgars.

Bulgarian/Macedonian is basically Serbian without declensions. When foreigners learn a new language, they replace declensions and cases with articles, ie modern Latin languages dropped Latin declensions.

As the Bulgar invaders (Turkic people) invaded the Balkans, they were assimilated into the Slavs and began to speak Slavic. Those Slavs that mixed with Bulgars changed their language into what became modern Bulgarian. Those that did not mix with Bulgars and kept their original language became Serbs.

This explains why Bulgarian is significantly simpler than any other Slavic language, and why it is the only Slavic language without declensions. It also lacks other complex features of some Slavic languages (like the pitch accent system Serbocroatian and Slovenian have).

¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

Captain Crunch wrote:Bulgarian is a creole created when Slavic speakers mixed with the Turkic-speaking Bulgars.

Bulgarian/Macedonian is basically Serbian without declensions. When foreigners learn a new language, they replace declensions and cases with articles, ie modern Latin languages dropped Latin declensions.

As the Bulgar invaders (Turkic people) invaded the Balkans, they were assimilated into the Slavs and began to speak Slavic. Those Slavs that mixed with Bulgars changed their language into what became modern Bulgarian. Those that did not mix with Bulgars and kept their original language became Serbs.

This explains why Bulgarian is significantly simpler than any other Slavic language, and why it is the only Slavic language without declensions. It also lacks other complex features of some Slavic languages (like the pitch accent system Serbocroatian and Slovenian have).
You're not a Serb are you?

zmeiat_joro
Sanci
Sanci

Post by zmeiat_joro »

ephealy wrote:When I was in Bulgaria (mostly Blagoevgrad and the Pirins), and trying to learn Bulgarian, I noticed something about the 'L' in certain words. It seemed that, in words like malcho, the tongue was possitioned further back in the mouth, instead of behind the teeth. Is this true, or was I just "hearing things?"

BTW, how does one use Cyrillic on the boards? Is there a place that lists the ISO codes?
I am from the area you visited, and in careless speech I do pronounce л when it doesn't precede front vowels as [w] (normally it's [l_d]). This is characteristic of the speech of people from my generation, born in the 80's. It's not a regional or dialectal feature, it's generational. This sound change doesn't seem to be nearly as widespread in the Republic of Macedonia. It doesn't seem like it will catch on, either.
<WurdBendur> Nae, why are you trying to sterilize maggot eggs?

Rozhen
Niš
Niš

Post by Rozhen »

Captain Crunch wrote:Bulgarian is a creole created when Slavic speakers mixed with the Turkic-speaking Bulgars.

Explain then why Bulgarian (and Macedonian) has a vastly more complicated verbal system than any of the other Slavic languages with far more tenses, including preserving tenses such as the imperfect and aorist which were lost in most other Slavic languages, and a whole series of "reported" tenses (indicating lack of first-hand knowledge or not vouching for the accuracy of the information being reported) which does not exist in other Slavic languages.