Welsh lessons.

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

linguoboy wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:Well?
I'm sure if anyone would like to send donations to compensate Dewrad for the time away from renumerative activity that he spends on crafting these lessons, he'd be more than happy to accept them.
Hell yes. Ker-ching!
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Bwmp.

Nawr wyt ti'n ?l allet ti para'r gwersi? Neu wyt ti'n meddwl dw i ddim yn eu hangen nhw?

Alla i newydd holi holiadau am gymraeg yma?
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

LaughingMan
Niš
Niš

Post by LaughingMan »

Wouldn't it be bymp, what with <y> being /@/ on occasion and all?
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Funkypudding wrote:Wouldn't it be bymp, what with <y> being /@/ on occasion and all?
Except that "pump" is pwmp, so bwmp works by analogy. Or you could go all hypernative and say cnwc.

Lleu
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lleu »

1) Mae o'n darllen?.
2) Mae o'n cysgu.
3) Mae Ioan yn bwyta.
4) Ydy Rhodry yn chwyrnu? Or should it be Ydy Rhodry'n chwyrnu?
5) Mae Deniol yn addysgu.
6) Mae Eleri yn gyrru. -or- Mae Eleri'n gyrru.
7) Ydy Angarad yn gwrando?
;) Ydy Pharazon yn godro?
9) Mae Iowerth yn siarad malu cachu.

I have small questions on two.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Turtlehead wrote:Bwmp.

Nawr wyt ti'n ?l allet ti para'r gwersi? Neu wyt ti'n meddwl dw i ddim yn eu hangen nhw?

Os rhaid i ti... (meddai'n ocheneidio)
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Dewrad wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:Bwmp.

Os rhaid i ti... (meddai'n ocheneidio)
Diolch. Beth yw 'meddai'n ocheneidio'? Alla i ddim cael hyd i nhw yn y geiriadur dw i'n defnyddio. Ydy 'meddai' yn amser conditional i'r unigol trydydd person? Ond beth berf yw fe yn saesneg?

Bues i'n cael holiadau i di yfory achos mae hi'n hwyrhau. Nos da.
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Turtlehead wrote:Ydy 'meddai' yn amser conditional i'r unigol trydydd person? Ond beth berf yw fe yn saesneg?
Mae hi'n ferf ddiffygiol, felly "quoth" yn Saesneg. 'Ocheneidio' restrir yn y ddau geiriadur ar-lein 'ma.
Bues i'n cael holiadau i di yfory achos mae hi'n hwyrhau.
"I have gotten questions to you tomorrow because it's getting late"? Beth wyt ti'n ceisio dweud?

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

linguoboy wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:Bues i'n cael holiadau i di yfory achos mae hi'n hwyrhau.
"I have gotten questions to you tomorrow because it's getting late"? Beth wyt ti'n ceisio dweud?
Dw i'n gwybod buodd hi'n hwyr. Dylwn i fod wedi dweud 'bydda i'.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Lleu
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lleu »

What happened to this? Don't tell me more people want to learn Irish than Welsh!
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Sectori wrote:What happened to this? Don't tell me more people want to learn Irish than Welsh!
I think Dewrad simply decide to devote some time to the 1,264 things he enjoys doing more than writing up grammar lessons and there's no one else here even remotely qualified to pick up where he left off. Of course, I'm more than willing to converse in my crappy Welsh to anyone who wants a little practice, but that and the occasional tentative grammatical clarification are about all I can offer. Mae'n ddrwg 'da fi!

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

linguoboy wrote:
Sectori wrote:What happened to this? Don't tell me more people want to learn Irish than Welsh!
I think Dewrad simply decide to devote some time to the 1,264 things he enjoys doing more than writing up grammar lessons
To an extent, yes. I had an entire conlang which wanted to be born (Tailanca) and another which had been nagging me for revision for a couple of years (Arvorec- on which note watch this space).

On a more practical level, I was basing the course on a Cornish corse that I was taking- Kernowek Dre Lyther. Due to real-world circumstances I had to discontinue the course, which meant I lost my model on which to base the lessons.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Dewrad wrote:On a more practical level, I was basing the course on a Cornish corse that I was taking- Kernowek Dre Lyther. Due to real-world circumstances I had to discontinue the course, which meant I lost my model on which to base the lessons.
Wait long enough, though, and you can just start copying Aardwolf! Wouldn't be the first time the Welsh have started aping the Irish, now would it?

aardwolf
Sanci
Sanci

Post by aardwolf »

linguoboy wrote:
Dewrad wrote:On a more practical level, I was basing the course on a Cornish corse that I was taking- Kernowek Dre Lyther. Due to real-world circumstances I had to discontinue the course, which meant I lost my model on which to base the lessons.
Wait long enough, though, and you can just start copying Aardwolf! Wouldn't be the first time the Welsh have started aping the Irish, now would it?
But mine were originally based on his!

Plus lack of time is also one for me. And lack of interest. It seems that only a few would actually benefit from potential hours of work on my behalf; I'd much rather those who are interested to PM/email/MSN me for help, as it'd be less stress for all concerned.

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

What we have here is what is known as a vicious circle :D .
TVWTLEHEAΔ

TzirTzi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by TzirTzi »

Translation:

Wales is (a) peninsula in the West of Britain. Wales is Celtic (a) country. Ioan is (a) Welshman. He lives (is living) in Wales. He speaks (is speaking) English. He also speaks (is speaking) Welsh. What is Ioan's mothertongue? English is Ioan's mothertongue. How did Ioan learn Welsh? Ioan is (a) member of the Welsh Language Society. He is going to (a) lesson to speak Welsh. Why is he learning Welsh? Because he is (a) Welshman!

Exercises:

1) Ydy o'n darllen?
2) Mae o'n cysgu.
3) Ioan ydy bwyta.
4) Ydy Rhodri chwyrnu?
5) Deiniol ydy addysgu.
6) Eleri ydy gyrru.
7) Ydy Angharad gwrando? (gwrando)
8) Ydy Pharazon godro? (godro)
9) Iorwerth ydy malu cachu. (malu cachu)

Wasnt sure about word order...
Salmoneus wrote:The existence of science has not been homosexually proven.

aardwolf
Sanci
Sanci

Post by aardwolf »

And what exactly is wrong with this?
'S cad go d?reach at? m?cheart le seo?

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

TzirTzi wrote:Wasnt sure about word order...
Generally Welsh is VSO though the basic sentence is;

Mae X yn X

Though yn can be replaced by any preposition.

Dw i ar chwen
Dw i o Seland Newydd

Adjectives usually follow what they qualify though there are exceptions, even I don't know them all.

Maybe Dewrad could give us a list of common grammatical rules :D .
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

aardwolf wrote:
And what exactly is wrong with this?
'S cad go d?reach at? m?cheart le seo?
The gods would disapprove.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Turtlehead wrote:Maybe Dewrad could give us a list of common grammatical rules :D .
I could, but I won't, due to not being arsed. However, a swift Google search turns up this site, which has plenty of grammar information.

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Dewrad wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:Maybe Dewrad could give us a list of common grammatical rules :D .
I could, but I won't, due to not being arsed. However, a swift Google search turns up this site, which has plenty of grammar information.
Thats cool. Thanks.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

TzirTzi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by TzirTzi »

It willnae load for me... :(. I shall keep poking it.
Salmoneus wrote:The existence of science has not been homosexually proven.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

TzirTzi wrote:
1) Ydy o'n darllen?
2) Mae o'n cysgu.
3) Ioan ydy bwyta.
4) Ydy Rhodri chwyrnu?
5) Deiniol ydy addysgu.
6) Eleri ydy gyrru.
Don't forget to use the link particle yn with verb-nouns, i.e. Mae linguoboy yn darllen. You seem to have forgotten about it after sentence two.

Also, Dewrad's dialect might work differently in this respect than the one I learned, since I wouldn't use ydy in a focused S + bod + yn + verb-noun sentence, rather sy, i.e. Linguoboy sy'n darllen. I find it helpful to translate this as "It's linguoboy who's reading," since that prepares you for the fact that sy is often used in relative clauses.
Wasnt sure about word order.
As Turtlehead says, the default is VSO, but focused sentences in the form SVO or OVS are very frequent. As you can see, Dewrad used a lot of them in his examples. Focused objects are easier than subjects, since they don't require any change to the verb form, e.g.:

Mae linguboy yn darllen y ZBB. "Linguoboy is reading the ZBB."
Y ZBB mae linguoboy yn darllen. "It's the ZBB that linguoboy is reading."
Linguoboy sy'n darllen y ZBB. "It's linguoboy who's reading the ZBB."

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

TzirTzi wrote:
1) Ydy o'n darllen?
2) Mae o'n cysgu.
3) Ioan ydy bwyta.
4) Ydy Rhodri chwyrnu?
5) Deiniol ydy addysgu.
6) Eleri ydy gyrru.

1) Is he reading? - Ydy o'n darllen?
2) He is sleeping - Mae o'n cysgu.
3) Ioan is eating - Mae Ioan yn bwyta.
4) Is Rhodri snoring? - Ydy Rhodri'n chwrnu?
5) Deiniol is teaching. - Mae Deiniol yn addysgu.
6) Eleri is driving. - Mae Eleri'n gyrru?
7) Is Angharad listening? - Ydy Angharad yn gwrando?
8) Is Pharazon masturbating? - Ydy Pharazon yn godro?
9) Iorwerth is talking crap. - Mae Iorwerth yn malu cachu.

linguoboy wrote:Also, Dewrad's dialect might work differently in this respect than the one I learned, since I wouldn't use ydy in a focused S + bod + yn + verb-noun sentence, rather sy, i.e. Linguoboy sy'n darllen. I find it helpful to translate this as "It's linguoboy who's reading," since that prepares you for the fact that sy is often used in relative clauses.
The use of "sy" and "ydy" in my dialect isn't exactly as standard, but in subject-first non-interrogative sentences it's definitely sy rather than ydy- using ydy here would be ungrammatical.

:sighs: With this thread returning to haunt me, I suppose I should write a second lesson. Watch this space.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Gwers Dwy

Llydaw

Llydaw yw gwlad Geltaidd hefyd. Rhan y chweongl Ffrainc ydy hi. Mae Ffrainc yn ei rheoli hi. Yann ydy Llydawiad. Mae o'n siarad Llydaweg. Mae o'n siarad Ffrangeg hefyd. Y Llydaweg ydy ei? famiaith o. Er hynny dydy o ddim yn siarad Llydaweg ac eithrio gan ei? gyfeillion. Mae Yann yn dysgu Cymraeg trwy llythr. Mae o'n ysgrifennu llythr at Ioan yng Nghymru. Ioan ydy ei? ohebydd, ac ei? gyfaill.

Geirfa - Vocabulary

Llydaw = Brittany
hefyd = also, as well
rhan (f) = part
chweongl (f) = hexagon
Ffrainc = France
mae ... yn ei rheoli hi = ... rules it
Llydawiad = person from Brittany
Llydaweg = Breton language
Ffrangeg = French language
mamiaith (f) = native language
er hynny = however
dydy = is not
ac eithrio = except
gan = with
ei? = his
cyfaill, cyfeillion = friend
trwy = through, via
llythr = letter
ysgrifennu = write
at = to
gohebydd = pen-friend, correspondent
a (ac before vowels) = and

Feminine nouns are marked with an f.

Cwestiynau - Questions

All the answers can be found in the text, and then just copied down. Do write in complete sentences, however.

1) Beth ydy Llydaw?
2) Beth ydy Yann?
3) Beth ydy ei famiaith?
4) Pryd (when) mae o'n siarad Llydaweg (note that here "mae" is used, not "ydy")
5) Beth mae Yann yn dysgu?
6) Beth mae Yann yn ysgrifennu?
7) Pwy ydy ei ohebydd?

Gramadeg - Grammar

Adjectives

In Welsh, adjectives typically follow their nouns, as we have seen with phrases like gwlad Geltaidd Celtic country.

When an adjective follows a feminine noun, the first consonant of the adjective undergoes lention: Celtaidd Celtic > iaith (f) Geltaidd Celtic language.

The Definite Article

The definite article in Welsh is y, which becomes yr before words beginning in vowels and 'r when following words ending in vowels. It causes the first consonant of a following feminine noun to undergo lenition: tafarn pub > y dafarn the pub. However, if the first consonant is ll or rh it does not lenite: y rhan, not y ran.

The Indefinite Article

Doesn't exist in Welsh. There isn't one. Forget about it, you never needed it anyway. I mean, look at the Russians.

Ymarferiaid - Exercises

Exercise 1

Translate the following into Welsh, making use of the vocabulary given below and that you've already learnt:

1) a happy friend
2) a stupid man
3) a tall Welshman
4) a small Breton
5) an ugly boy
6) a fat horse

hapus happy, dyn man, tal tall (spot the loanword!), bychan small, mab boy, hagr ugly, ceffyl horse, tew fat.

Exercise 2

Translate the following into Welsh, making use of the vocabulary given below and before. All the nouns are feminine. Now, what do you do with adjectives after feminine nouns?

1) a large part
2) a loving mother
3) a pretty girl
4) a small pub
5) a fat cow
6) a wooly sheep

rhan part, mam mother, geneth girl, tafarn pub, buwch cow, dafad sheep (hurrah!), mawr large, teg pretty, gwlanog wooly, cariadus loving