a congress of convoluted conworldery
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Qalli history
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Quote:
The idea is that Catholicism quickly drifts very far away from its original roots; it's influenced by other religions, and the colonists come up with original ideas of their own.

I think this depends in large part on whether or not there's an institutional Church for the Catholics. Were there priests on the colony ship? More importantly, were there bishops? You need bishops to ordain more priests and more bishops. Without priests or bishops, I could see colonists abandoning orthodox Catholicism within several generations, but with bishops and oriests, I'd be surprised that there was anything more than a syncretistic folk Catholicism practiced by some by officially denounced.

Awesome story by the way. Very fun and interesting. I check often for updates. So far, we're getting the broad strokes, like a Wikipedia page. Any chance for more detailed histories at a later date?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:57 am 
Smeric
Smeric

spanick wrote:
Quote:
The idea is that Catholicism quickly drifts very far away from its original roots; it's influenced by other religions, and the colonists come up with original ideas of their own.

I think this depends in large part on whether or not there's an institutional Church for the Catholics. Were there priests on the colony ship? More importantly, were there bishops? You need bishops to ordain more priests and more bishops. Without priests or bishops, I could see colonists abandoning orthodox Catholicism within several generations, but with bishops and oriests, I'd be surprised that there was anything more than a syncretistic folk Catholicism practiced by some by officially denounced.

Awesome story by the way. Very fun and interesting. I check often for updates. So far, we're getting the broad strokes, like a Wikipedia page. Any chance for more detailed histories at a later date?

Apostolic succession was maintained, yes. (In a manner of speaking, the apostolic succession was maintained later on through apostolic succession).

In that case, bishops weren't very successful in maintaining doctrinal purity - much of their success was probably due to their willingness to overlook differences. The religion ended up, indeed as syncretistic folk Catholicism, with official sanction.

Thanks for the interest btw. As for a detailed version, I'd love to! But I have millenia to cover, and not that much time to do it, so it probably won't be anytime too. (I also have fiction set in that setting, that I'd like to get out first.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ars Lande wrote:
In that case, bishops weren't very successful in maintaining doctrinal purity - much of their success was probably due to their willingness to overlook differences. The religion ended up, indeed as syncretistic folk Catholicism, with official sanction.

Sanctioned over there, maybe, but if Rome found out about it they would most likely excommunicate the entire planet, which would lead to the people of this planet forming their own breakaway denomination. However, in this particular set of circumstances I'm guessing that there is no contact with Earth for such an eventuality to take place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Ars Lande wrote:

Your reasoning is pretty sound. Indifferentism is common even now among bishops. Even still, I'd expect there to be a minority which doggedly clings to orthodoxy. Not all the bishops can be Kaspers. After all, when all the bishops had seemingly accepted Arianism, Athanasius clung to orthodoxy.

It would be interesting then, to see how the two religions develop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

If anything, there should be for many centuries a fierce fundamentalist movement, perhaps resembling the traditionalist camp of modern day Catholics.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť