zompist bboard

WE ARE MOVING - see Ephemera
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reduplication
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:36 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'm considering adding a lot of reduplication. I know that it can be used in various languages for things like pluralizing nouns, "intensifying" adjectives and adverbs (small is just less big than normal, small-small is tiny), picking out the stereotypical member of a set ("Are we going to have a salad-salad with lettuce and stuff or are you making a fruit or pasta salad?"), possibly even habitual action when used on verb stems.

Are there any others? Are there ones people on the board feel could be used but they haven't seen in a natlang?

Post subject: Re: reduplication
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I think you could use it for any tense or aspect, as well as to mark definiteness.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

one of my languages uses reduplication to mark interjections.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:12 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Reduplication is used in multiple different ways in Réunion Creole, most prominently to attenuate adjectives and to indicate repetition in verbs. The attenuative effect on adjectives is changing in recent times, moving more towards an accentuating meaning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:20 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

LinguistCat wrote:

Are there any others? Are there ones people on the board feel could be used but they haven't seen in a natlang?
It depends on your taste.

My conlangs are based on baby talk, which tenfs to feature similar sounds repted over and over again. Despite their appearance, there is no reduplication in Poswa & Pabappa ... they just sound like that because diachronics and other things have pulled their inherited vocabulary towards the same sounds everywhere.

In the distantly related Andanese family, however , derived compounds use consonant harmony, which works like vowel harmony does in many natlangs, but affects only the consonants instead of only the vowels. Thus many compound words like itititi "temple road" appear, where the part t hat means road is a shell "_i_i" where the underlines agree with the thematic consonant of the initial word. These languages actually have two thematic consonants per stem, and the inherenet consonants iof the second morphemes reduce in different wats, so e.g. _i_i uses both 0's here buyt can be 0-1 for other intiials. Some languages have both of these types of harmony, and since they are pure CV, this is syllable harmony where whole syllables are replaced at one time.

This idea came from a fdream I had as a teen where I visited the town of Ojajojojoojoijo in Finland.

Some remnants of consonant harmony appear in other languages such as Pabappa but Ive been paring them down.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

edit: can explain it another way .... there are frog consnants and tadpole consonants. the tadpoles change when they are modifying anoither word, the frogs dont. thus for example /hi + luli/ = /hihuhi/ because L is the tadpole. b ut /hi + tuti/ stays /hituti/.