zompist bboard

WE ARE MOVING - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:54 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Gejaehl Hlu:
Yeuḅeuy yaitbu ykheo pheum taim to kheo yiq hla ye ci kheo xi ḍeuseul aleobwa.
[jɯɓɯj jatⁿbu jkʰɤ pʰɯm tam to kʰɤ yiʔ ɬɒ je ci kʰɤ çi ɗɯsɯl ɒlɤⁿbwɒ]
Yeuḅeuy y=a-yt-bu y=kheo pheum taim to kheo yiq hla ye a-phu ci kheo xi ḍeuseul a-eo-bu-a
when of=PASS-NMLZ-make.MAJ of=DEF blue sky be_above DEF world be_dark be_with them DEF mankind be_between PASS-PST-make.MAJ-3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:09 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

"When the blue sky above and the dark earth below were made, then were made between them both the sons of men."

Kannow:
Třpiimbyy riřoqʼàřow besʼèn i riřoksʼòndon ņusija, eed ŗaa sqyym třpiininyy nalén.
[ˈθʂpʰiːmbɨː d̥ʐ̥ɘ̯itʂʰəˈqʷʼɑtʂʰəw ˈb̥etsʷʼen i d̥ʐ̥ɘ̯itʂʰəˈxʷtsʷʼəndən ŋuˈsidʑɑ, eːð rak̚ sqʰɨːm θspʰiːnʲiˈnɨː ˈnɑdɮenʷ]
t-řpi-e-mb-a-h riřo-qʼàř-ow besʼè-n riřo-ksʼò-ndon ņus-ija, e-e-d ŗa-k sqym-h t-řpi-e-nen-a-i nal-én
P.PL-NF.CAUS.P-be-C4.P.SG-C1.A.PL-C4.CONSTR NF.M.P-be_blue-C4.P.SG sky-C4.DEF NF.M.P-be_dark-C5.P.SG earth-C5.DEF, RP-be-C6.P.SG this-C4.CONSTR time-C4.CONSTR P.PL-NF.CAUS.P-be-C1.P.PL-C1.A.PL-C1.CONSTR man-C1.INDEF.PL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:45 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Is there information on Kangshuic anywhere? Deghuri will probably be influenced by whatever regionally important languages are around it, and there could be a Wutun-like setup where a Deghuric variety of Kharidze ends up heavily influenced by Kangshuic and either Hluic or Zotic depending on what goes where. (Or Vengic? The Zenzi/Zzxzzyx Empire could end up taking that coastal bit and expanding into the hills, conquering some Kharidze and Qoic territory, if it's not off to the northwest. Kharidze is definitely far in the highlands, and Kangshuic expansion could've pushed Far Kharidze speakers in any direction, as long as Narngic was there first. If there are any other languages with front rounded vowels, they probably end up near Far Kharidze too, because that's the one notable areal feature so far. Narng's vowel system is basically Dutch without the Germanic length stuff.)

Also, Rau (Hathic) probably has Kllkic influence, not that the Hathic languages are ever likely to exist.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:13 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

There is mostly outdated info on Kangshi on Annie. I'm gonna poast a better synopsis Kangshuic as soon as I can figure out the diachrony there well enough to do more than waffle around vaguely.

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:23 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Elements of Kllk phonology

Kllk has a pretty small consonant inventory:

/p p b b t tʷ d dʷ k kʷ g gʷ q qʷ ɢ ɢʷ ʔ/
/f s sʷ ʃ ʃʷ x xʷ χ/
/m n/
/w ɬ ɬʷ r rʷ j/

Vowels-wise it has the following inventory, which is basically a standard five-vowel inventory plus schwa and a roundedness distinction applied to all vowels. (This is probably diachronic, some of these may have merged).

/i ʏ ɯ u/
/e ø ə ʌ o/
/a ɒ/

Rounded vowels appear almost exclusively in the vicinity of labialised and labial consonants, and may as such be considered only marginally phonemic.

/ɬ r/ can both be syllabic and in this case pattern with vowels.

Kllk has regressive backness-based vowel harmony from the final syllable of a word (not including clitics). There are also inconsistently-applied processes of regressive uvular harmony (affecting velar /k g/ and uvular /q ɢ/) which spread backwards through the word; this is particularly common in quite tight morphological units.

/ʃɢəmɢedɢɯq:ɯqs/ (also e.g. /ʃgəmgedɢɯq:ɯqs/)
ʃ-gəm-gdeg-eg-iʔ-qɯq-s
He kept hitting him until he vomited

/sqɯquppogs/
s-qɯq-iʔ-pog-s
He vomited all over

Kllk's maximal syllable size is CCVC. Although most clusters are possible, no cluster of more than two consonants is permitted. This often leads to restructuring of morphemes:

/ʃgedgegs/
ʃ-gdeg-eg-s
He hit him repeatedly

Generally speaking, codaic nasals are realised as nasal vowels, although again there are some exceptions produced by morphophonemics:

[ʒɢʌdɢɯqõ]
/ʃɢʌdɢɯqom/
ʃ-gdeg-iq-om
they took me by surprise

[ʒɢə̃ɢedɢɯq:ɯqs]
/ʃɢəmɢedɢɯq:ɯqs/
ʃ-gəm-gdeg-eg-iʔ-qɯq-s

At the end of an utterance final vowels are dropped, though front vowels appear as palatalisation:

[skaɬkatxik:ɬktəsmʲ]
/skaɬkatxik:ɬktəsmʏ/
s-kɬak-taχ-ikkɬk-təs-mʏ!
Go and milk the goats!

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:50 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

All of the various different linguistic groups resident in the coastal areas of the Dog Continent have a strong tradition of improvised poetry, used particularly in storytelling or in insults. Most of the meters used are not particularly complex and depend on pure number of syllables and internal rhyme. The most common kind of couplet is called a ʃtakiddeɢiqs, literally 'feinting then taking by surprise', and takes the form of a couplet of a relatively innocent line and a rhyming insult, delivered to a host.

møna dɢudʷɢɑχabs bo sidsɯm
møna t-ɢudʷ-ɢɑχ-ab-s bo sids-ɯm
indeed NTRNS-tongue-dry_up-ABL-SUFF DEM meat-DIR
This meat is so dry it shrivels the tongue

gaga kpapuppus ba niʃɯm ek
gaga k-pap-uppu-s ba niʃ-ɯm=ek
very_much 0TRNS-be_herby-LOC-SFF DEM Kefir-DIR=and
And this drink (Kefir) too heavily flavoured

ʃom! sids ʃkopukkubus tsagɯm
ʃom! sids ʃ-kop-kku-bu-s tsag-ɯm
why! meat TRNS-eat-prefer-BEN-SUFF mother_goat-DIR
I would rather eat the mother-goat's meat

uddʷu ʃpatʏkkubus wasɯm ek
uddʷu ʃ-pat-kku-bu-s was-ɯm=ek
jug TRNS-drink-prefer-BEN-SFF she_lamb-DIR=and
Or sup from the she-kid's jug

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Last edited by Yng on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:32 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

That looks enough like Rau (which is supposed to be heavily divergent) that there'll be a Hathic presence somewhere on the coastal area of the Dog Continent. Thing is, unless C-Hathic (clickless) and N-Hathic (clicks) map to ~Malayo-Polynesian and ~Formosan (i.e. click loss happened in the common ancestor of all the Hathic languages sufficiently far from the Urheimat), Rau will have clicks.

The Rau inventory is probably something like:

/p t k/
/f ɬ s z ʁ/
/m n ŋ/
/r (j w)/
/a e ʌ o i ɯ/

But it's not set in stone yet, and the uvular harmony (and a voicing contrast) could be ported over -- Rau was originally supposed to be part of the ~Polynesian branch of Hathic, but there's no reason it couldn't avoid totally collapsing MOAs. (In which case it could have implosives.) If Rau is N-Hathic, it could have an ancient labialization contrast; if it's C-Hathic, it probably won't. The roundedness stuff could develop some other way: let's say *o *u unround, *a: > *o before long vowels shorten, then there's some w-coalescence stuff.

I'll assume that C-Hathic ~= Malayo-Polynesian, in which case I might want to move final loss further -- maybe Rau is part of the oldest (post-exodus but pre-Jedlug) branch and that happens later. This also has the advantage that Rau morphology won't necessarily have any correspondence to core C-Hathic morphology. That makes things a lot easier, and it means there's a voice contrast.

So it could be something like: (with ad-hoc sound changes to Gehui roots)

noʔ sʌg nxi dɮʌg da boɢ nmo xɯrɯb niɢim nʌʔ ŋoʃ feʃdʌɢ kpeg niɢim dɮaxa
when sky ESS=blue be_above and.ESS earth ESS=black be_below PASS-create then man be_between=SBJZ them PASS-create SOME_SORT_OF_FITTING_EVIDENTIAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:51 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

beep boop i am a fascist

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Kllk has a pretty small consonant inventory: *31 consonants*

then again, I keep thinking Hlu has a small consonant inventory, but it really has somewhere between 33 and 94 depending on dialect and analysis. (The proper analysis says that Gejaehl has 33 and Bor has 37, but some people think the clusters in dGudzong Tibetan are all units, so a pervasive prepalatalization contrast is I guess technically possible -- the syllable structure is (j)C(j)(w)V(C).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:01 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Quote:
<@H13> I just realized I could have a lot more fun with the vowel length thing than I am having
<@H13> time to make up more suffixes
<Whimemsz> what is the "thing" with vowel length?
<@H13> so in very early stages of kangshuic
<@H13> two things happened
<@H13> stress became invariably final
<@H13> and in unstressed syllables, the following rules apply: V -> ə, V: -> V
<@H13> combined with the later loss of final consonants in all Kangshuic languages except Pirka, any sort of suffixation extensively fucks with the stem in descendant language
<@H13> so the example I had earlier is sɤŋau5 "fisherman.ABS", sɤŋɤmba2 "fisherman-ERG"
<@H13> which would be *sʔa-ɣa-ŋaam(-waa) if you projected the morphology back into PPK as-is
<@H13> in fact uh for short-vowel stems unless analogy intervenes you would get zero ablaut
<@H13> the instinct of people seems to be that if everything is scary, try a dictatorship
<@H13> anyway if I do the same thing for "spinnerwoman" I get uh
<@H13> tə-a-wed, tə-a-wəd-waa -> tawed, tawdwaa -> tabie6, tabdo6
<@H13> so hm the full paradigm would be
<@H13> tə-a-wed, tə-a-wəd-waa, tə-a-wəd-ŋo, tə-a-wəd-zii ->> tabie6, tabdo6, tabdo6, tabzi6
<@H13> looks a bit like stem ab- tbh
<@H13> m/b stem bd-, so the absolutive might regularize to tabdie6 too
<@H13> also ofc *tabdzi6 in OK
<@H13> for "fisherman", we have saŋau5, saŋɤmba2, saŋɤmŋo2, saŋɤmzi2

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:47 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

yng what is the kllk word/etymology for heaven, here is the rau word/etymology for heaven

23:45 < nort> feny 'pick up' > lok feny 'be picked up' > bbooan lok feny 'high' > t!arp!i bbooan lok feny 'respected high thing' -> 'sky' -> 'heaven'. ok
23:45 < nort> this becomes
23:45 < nort> well, t!arp!i is an article
23:45 < nort> and maybe this is lost or shortened to t!ar
23:46 < nort> monrukoush (< mon-ruk-xoush)
23:46 < nort> well
23:47 < nort> monggukoush maybe
23:47 < nort> bc velar/uvular harmony
23:47 < nort> which could shorten to mongkoush
23:47 < twanh> "ffs" is "I forgot they are phasing out etyl"
23:47 < nort> wait
23:48 < nort> sure why not
23:48 < nort> Kapi Mongkoush
23:48 < nort> which is sort of like 'tengri'

edit: this would actually be Qapi Mongkush, unless f > X, in which case monrukXush > monr(u)q(q?)ush > mongqush

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:04 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Zotic is spoken to the west of Hluic and is in contact with Kangshuic and Kharidze. Vengic is probably spoken to the south of Hluic. Once there's a writeup on Kangshuic diachronics, I'll work out Zotic -- there's probably influence.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:24 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Okay this is way overdue and it won't be very satisfying but I'm going to try and get the big elements of Kangshuic diachronics out of the way here. So, first things first, the approximate shape of Proto-Kangshuic. Phonologically, Proto-Kangshuic had a consonant inventory of approximately something like this:
Code:
p t     k q
b d
  s   ʃ x
  z   ʒ ɣ
m n     ŋ
w r l y

It allowed a maximum syllable of CCVC and had seven tones, which were partly distinguished by pitch and partly by phonation (breathy/modal/glottalized). I am significantly less certain on the vowel inventory, which may have had a length distinction or contained diphthongs, but probably one of them. In any event the pure vowel qualities were probably something like /i ɯ u e o a/, but until I've finalized all the sound changes, who knows.

Morphosyntactically, the broad strokes of PK are something like this: PK was a moderately synthetic language with about an equal amount of prefixation and suffixation. Person marking, that was already weakening, was prefixal, as were certain markers of mood and nonfinite markers, while the bulk of TA marking happened suffixally. The language was split-ergative and had a nominal case system of five items: Absolutive, Genitive-Ergative, Accusative(-Allative), Dative(-Comitative) and Locative. There was already a noun class system, derived from a system of numeral classifiers, which is continued in most branches of Kangshuic. The strongly variable morphosyntax in the various descendants is a legacy of the more clitic-like nature of the class markers in PK. There was some amount of nonconcatenative morphology: some combinations of suffixes, due to contraction of complex codas in PPK, produced a marked stem change, and the third-person object marker was a tone change.

The categories distinguished in the verb are person marking for both agent and patient (agent marking is identical to S marking for all verbs), aspect (unmarked, progressive-imperfective, completive, inchoative), tense-mood (unmarked, past, remote-irrealis) and two participle forms that are otherwise unmarked (approximately present and past). Voice was indicated either through simple detransitivization or through periphrastic constructions.

Obviously, there were many changes from this to descendant languages. The Kangshuic family divides itself into around four branches, although the identity of the branches with actual genealogical points of divergence is by no means clear and several isoglosses transcend branch boundaries. In the absence of geographical information other than some MS Paint maps, I will refer to them as Kangshuic A, B, and C, as well as Pirka, a single language that forms a branch of its own.

Pirka is distinguished from all other Kangshuic languages by the simple fact that it did not undergo Kangshuic final loss, a sound change affecting all other families in which final obstruents and nasals were lost, with fricatives vanishing altogether, all stops merging into the glottal stop and final nasals leaving behind vowel nasality. Pirka, however, almost fully retains the original PK inventory of finals, modulo its global loss of the voicing distinction. However, the distribution of finals is significantly different from PK, depending largely on whether the syllable tone was originally glottalized or not. Pirka also only has two tones, merging the original seven first to four, with two binary distinctions of high vs. low and glottal vs. modal, and later losing the glottalization distinction with a concomitant consonant split. It shares the innovation of aspirated stops from fricative-stop sequences with large parts of Kangshuic A and B. Its vowel inventory is /i ĩ e ə ɛ a ã ɔ o u ũ/.

Morphosyntactically, Pirka is extremely innovative, having lost basically all inherited verbal morphology and being highly isolating compared to other Kangshuic languages. The noun class system in Pirka is expressed through determiners that obligatorily accompany nouns, and unusually for Kangshuic languages express a definite-indefinite distinction. The case system is completely gone and has been replaced through various serial verb constructions, like in large parts of Kangshuic A.

Kangshuic A is the best-attested and most widely spoken branch of Kangshuic. Old Kangshi, ancestor of Court Kangshi and several related dialects, is the earliest (and in continuity with the modern forms, basically only) written Kangshuic language, and already shows several distinctly Kangshuic A features, especially in phonology and morphology. Kangshuic A has full loss of final consonants, reflecting their influence in vowel quality and tone, and all languages in the branch have undergone a change of *w > b, *y > ɟ, *r l > dʐ. Old Kangshi reflects these as /b z ʐ/, respectively. The vowel inventories of Kangshuic A languages are generally quite large, including generally six to eight monophthongs, with at least one back unrounded vowel, and a large array of diphthongs. Significant parts of modern Kangshuic A languages also underwent a sound change in which alveolar sibilants were lateralized, with Court Kangshi one of the notable exceptions.

Morphosyntactically, Old Kangshi still preserves the PK case system, although especially oblique case information is often redundantly encoded by verbs even in early texts. Modern Kangshuic A generally does not, although the Ergative has become a topic marker in some of them. The verbal paradigm is generally completely restructured, since PK suffixation generally either fossilized as stem change or was lost entirely in favor of serial verb constructions. Court Kangshi is an example of both developments, indicating the categories of version and subjunctive by various forms of stem change, with principal mood marking occurring by a realis clitic. TAM, however, is handled by derivation or serial verbs. The loss of the case system and person marking on the verb generally also made word order less variable than it was in older stages of the language.

Kangshuic B and C are both more scattered and internally varied branches. The principal change affecting Kangshuic B was widespread vowel epenthesis, followed in many cases by loss of final vowels, creating a distinctively unkangshuic CVCVC(V) word pattern. They generally preserve cases, but have innovated a much more regular verbal TAM paradigm. Kangshuic C languages, being the farthest from the core Kangshuic area and in contact with both other Qoic as well as Zotic languages, make heavy use of phonation distinctions at the expense of tone, and preserve the front rounded vowels that result from fronting before alveolar finals. Morphologically, they are both more heavily head-marking and prone to univerbation than other branches of Kangshuic, including consistent verbal person marking, often a preservation of some verbal aspect-pairs and the nonfinite forms of PK, but also an innovation of new distinctions.

I'll have to go into more detail on each of these in separate posts.

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

Last edited by Hallow XIII on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:03 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ghàb Qudz -- Spring Water
An adaptation of an Altay folk song. Much uglier in Ubghuu, but hey, you can still sing it with the original melody.

vàvàth uʐę́ę́ ghàb qudz ŋa
và~
RED-
vàth
forever
u-
REL-
ʐę́ę́
flow
gàb
black
qudz
water
ŋa

Eternally flowing deep blue water
undɔ́ɔ́gi zivyìdàà
u-
CONJ-
ndɔ́ɔ́
drink
-ki
-ANT
zi-
STAT.EGO-
vyìt
feel_refreshed
-aa
-INTR.EGO

As I drink I feel refreshed
khɛ́h kháʔaa ntshááhaŋ ŋa
khɛ́h
tree sp.
kháʔa
many
-aa
-COM
ntshááh
Long Island
-1sPOSS
ŋa

My Long Island covered in Kheh trees
hìfiyèŋ eyáá zidhombàà
hìf
heart
-ye
-LOC
-1sPOSS
eyáá
EXCL
zi-
STAT.EGO-
doo`
relax
-mba
-APPL
-aa
-INTR.EGO

You soothe my heart

uʁowye uʐę́ę́ ghàb qudz ŋa
u-
CONJ-
ɢow
splash
-ye
-SIM
u-
REL-
ʐę́ę́
flow
gàb
black
qudz
water
ŋa

Blue water, splashing as it flows
undɔ́ɔ́gi zivyìdàà
u-
CONJ-
ndɔ́ɔ́
drink
-ki
-ANT
zi-
STAT.EGO-
vyìt
feel_refreshed
-aa
-INTR.EGO

sróm kháʔaa ntshááhaŋ ŋa
sróm
tree sp.
kháʔa
many
-aa
-COM
ntshááh
Long Island
-1sPOSS
ŋa

My Long Island covered in Srom trees
umyɔhɔye zivyìdàà
u-
CONJ-
myɔh
walk_around
-ye
-SIM
zi-
STAT.EGO-
vyìt
feel_refreshed
-aa
-INTR.EGO

As I walk around I feel refreshed

ŋkíʔ uʐę́ę́wɔk ghàb qudz ŋa
ŋkíʔ
mountain
u-
CONJ-
ʐę́ę́
flow
-wɔk
-come_out
gàb
black
qudz
water
ŋa

Blue water flowing from the mountains
undɔ́ɔ́gi zivyìdàà
u-
CONJ-
ndɔ́ɔ́
drink
-ki
-ANT
zi-
STAT.EGO-
vyìt
feel_refreshed
-aa
-INTR.EGO

phɛ́ŋmɛ kháʔaa ŋkíʔiŋma ŋa
phɛ́ŋmɛ
rock
kháʔa
many
-aa
-COM
ŋkíʔ
mountain
-1sPOSS
=ma
-this
ŋa

These rocky mountains of mine
uváádaki zidhombàà
u-
CONJ-
báád
see
-ki
-ANT
zi-
STAT.EGO-
doo`
relax
-mba
-APPL
-aa
-INTR.EGO

Seeing them I feel relaxed

dhùgàà uʐę́ę́ ghàb qudz ŋa
dùk
wave
-aa
-COM
u-
REL-
ʐę́ę́
flow
gàb
black
qudz
water
ŋa

Blue water flowing with many waves
inééwye zúŋ ʔdzizándzaŋ
i-
INTR.ALLO-
nééw
pass_by
-ye
-SIM
head
-1sPOSS
ʔdzi-
TRANS.EGO-
zán
be_low
-dzaŋ
-CAUS

As you pass by I bow my head
koyóón ughèhęp ntshááhaŋ ŋa
koy
silk
-óón
u-
REL-
ghè-
STAT-
hęp
beautiful
ntshááh
Long Island
-1sPOSS
ŋa

My Long Island, beautiful like silk
ihrààyè zúŋ ʔdzizándzaŋ
i-
INTR.ALLO-
hràà
cry
-ye
-SIM
head
-1sPOSS
ʔdzi-
TRANS.EGO-
zán
be_low
-dzaŋ
-CAUS

As you call I bow my head

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:57 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sample of some Kangshuic C language (writing /y/ as <ʏ> b/c underdots):

nomə ɒ́ˀʃa̤ ɒ́ˀdáˀ wədʏ̤́ntéˀ ɒ̤́ ṳmoˀə ṳtʰø̤ə̤ wədʏ̤́nte̤ əˀdə́ ɒ́ˀpáˀ ɒ́ˀmɒ̤bə̤ tezéˀ
nomə
when
ɒ́ˀ-
cI-
ʃa̤
heaven
ɒ́ˀ-
cI-
dáˀ
blue
wə-
BG-
dʏ̤́
make
-nt
-PST.PASS
-éˀ
-cI
ɒ̤́
and
ṳ-
cIII-
moˀə
earth
ṳ-
cIII-
tʰø̤ə̤
black
wə-
BG-
dʏ̤́
make
-nt
-PST.PASS
-e̤
-cIII
əˀdə́
SEQ
ɒ́ˀ-
cI-
páˀ
man
ɒ́ˀ-
cI-
m-
cP-
ɒ̤-
PART_PRES-
bə̤
between
te
be_born
-z
-PST
-éˀ
-cI

PK etyma for some of these, for future reference:
ndaˀs˧˥ -- blue
ʃaŋ˧ -- sky, heaven
doːd˩ -- black
moːk˧ -- earth
rtay˧ -- be born
ʒbəŋ˧˩ -- between
paˀ˥ -- person, man(kind)
zdup˧˩ -- make

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:48 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

ɵ ʉ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:21 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Hék°er° ḍah t́éṅr̥ phч̥láƨam déri ɴ°xáƨamt°a ɴʔará ṅathé sḕlewask° khnéwda hek°ḗr.
hé-k°er<°> ḍah t́eṅ-0-r phч̥láƨam der-0-y ɴ°xáƨam=t°a ɴe<0>ʔ-ar-á ṅathé sḕl-e-was-k° kha<0>n-é-w-d-a hé-k°e<:>r<°>
PASS-do<COMPL> thusly heaven-ABS-C3 blue earth-ABS-C2 dark=and create<CONSTR>-PASS.NMLZ-CONSTR after son-ERG-C1.KIN-DEF.N man<CONSTR>-CONSTR-PL-C1-CONSTR PASS-do<C1><COMPL>

Note that Miar is pragmatically quite Mormon in its use of hék°er° ḍah (cf. "and it came to pass"); this is used here to allow the dislocation of the when-clause. Ordinarily, adverbs in Miar occur at the end of the VP; prepending a dummy verb allows them not to occur at the end of the sentence, after hek°ḗr.

edit: and in the more sensible orthography:
Hékwerw dah céñr phxwláxham ndéri zwgháxhamtwa zqará ñathé seélewaskw khnéwnda hekwéer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:15 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

time to kllk up an orthography for this mofo

/p b t tʷ d dʷ k kʷ g gʷ q qʷ ɢ ɢʷ ʔ/
<p b t ṭ d ḍ k ḳ g ġ q q̇ qg q̇ġ ʔ>
/f s sʷ ʃ ʃʷ x xʷ χ/
<f s ṣ ś ṣ́ x x̣ xh>
/m n/
<m n>
/w ɬ ɬʷ r rʷ j/
<w l ḷ r ṛ j>

Vowels-wise it has the following inventory. The distribution of the various rounded/unrounded pairs (/i ʏ, ɯ u, ʌ o, e ø) is generally complementary, with rounded vowels appearing after rounded consonants (and often where a bilabial consonant appears in the syllable coda) and unrounded vowels in the vicinity of rounded vowels. As such they are represented with the same grapheme:

/i ʏ ɯ u/
<i u>
/e ø ʌ o/
<e o>
/a (ɒ)/
<a>

There is in fact no distinct rounded /a/ phoneme. /ɒ/ existed diachronically but has now merged with /o/. Nonetheless, instances of historic /ɒ/ are represented distinctively for morphological clarity.

Where unrounded vowels appear in contexts where rounded vowels would be expected, a grave accent is used. The opposite phenomenon does not occur.

Consonant harmony is not indicated in the orthography, and neither is allophonic voicing.

śgomgodguqquqs
/ʃɢʌmɢʌdɢɯq:ɯqs/
ʃ-gəm-gdeg-eg-iʔ-qɯq-s

sququppogs
/sqɯqɯppogs/
s-qɯq-iʔ-pog-s
He vomited all over

śgedgegs
/ʃgedgegs/
ʃ-gdeg-eg-s
He hit him repeatedly

śgodoguqom
/ʃɢʌdɢɯqom/
ʃ-gdeg-iq-om
they took me by surprise

skalkatxikklktesmi
/skaɬkatxik:ɬktəsmʏ/
s-kɬak-taχ-ikkɬk-təs-mʏ!
Go and milk the goats!

mena tq̇ġuḍqgaxhabs bo sudsum
/møna dɢʷudʷɢɑχabs bo sɯdsɯm/
indeed NTRNS-tongue-dry_up-ABL-SUFF DEM meat-DIR
This meat is so dry it shrivels the tongue

gaga kpapuppus ba niśum ek
/gaga kpapuppus ba nɯʃɯmek/
very_much 0TRNS-be_herby-LOC-SFF DEM Kefir-DIR=and

śom! sids śkopukkubus tsagum
/ʃom! sids ʃkopukkubus tsʌgɯm/
why! meat TRNS-eat-prefer-BEN-SUFF mother_goat-DIR
I would rather eat the mother-goat's meat

uḍḍu śpatikkubus wasum ek
/uddʷu ʃpʌtukkubus wʌsɯmek/
jug TRNS-drink-prefer-BEN-SFF she_lamb-DIR=and
Or sup from the she-kid's jug

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Some details of kllk verbs:

All verbs have a transitivity prefix (ś- t- k-) which indicate a agentive, absolutive or 0-transitive verb respectively. Most verbs can appear with all three, with the agentive prefix appearing when they are transitive and the absolutive when they are intransitive. The 0-transitive appears in a range of idiomatic expressions (e.g. weather verbs) and as a generic impersonal:

squququppogs bagum
s-qɯq-ɯq-iʔ-pog-s bag-um
TRNS-vomit-ITER-SEQ-cover-CNT all-DIR
He was vomiting all over (he vomited-and-covered everything)

tqɯqɯqs
t-qɯq-ɯq-s
INT-vomit-ITER-CNT
He kept vomiting

tkalkatxhikklktesmi
t-kɬak-taχ-iʔ-kɬk-təsmʏ!
INT-milk_goat-go-SEQ-milk-IMP
Go and milk the goats!

kalkum staxhikklktesmi
kaɬk-um s-taχ-iʔ-kɬk-təsmʏ!
milk_goat-DIR INT-go-SEQ-milk-IMP
Go and milk the goats!

gaga kpapuppus ba niśum
gaga k-pap-uppu-s ba niʃ-ɯm
very_much 0TRNS-be_herby-LOC-CNT DEM Kefir-DIR

kdaśtuks
k-daś-tuk-s
0TRNS-snow-fall-CNT
It's snowing

kkalkatxhikklkmeś
k-kɬak-taχ-iʔ-kɬk-meś
0TRNS-milk_goat-go-SEQ-milk-ADV
When going to milk the goats...

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:33 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Egophoricity in Ubghuu

The categories marked on the Ubghuu verb are somewhat foreign to speakers of European languages. While its straightforward perfective-imperfective aspect distinction will feel familiar, scholars unfamiliar with similar categories in Caucasian or Himalayan languages will require some introduction to their use and analysis. These categories include version and most importantly egophoricity.

Egophoricity is the now standard name for a grammatical category that, in its broadest sense, encodes whether the speaker has privileged access to the information they are communicating. How this is interpreted in practice varies strongly by language and mostly also within a language by construction. Ubghuu is no exception to the latter, with the conditions for egophoric marking varying by voice, as well as lexical-semantic factors.

Marking

The Ubghuu verb is highly synthetic, indicating four inflectional categories as well as head-marking many things accomplished by oblique markers in other languages. Verbs take one prefix, and a multitude of suffixes. Egophoricity is marked by the prefix, so we will focus on that here.

The voice prefix is a polyexponential marker indicating voice (transitive active, transitive inverse, intransitive and stative) and egophoricity (egophoric or allophoric) in one series, and voice only in the other. Whether the verb is marked prefixally for egophoricity determines, in Ubghuu, if a verb is considered finite or not. ("Prefixally" because there is a suffix -aa that attaches to any egophoric intransitive verb.) The forms of the finite prefix are as follows:
Code:
          E     A
TRA       ʔdzi- ʔgi-
TRI       wa-   tho-
ITR       ya-   ʔi-
STA       zì-   ghè-

Which voice is used when depends on the agency of the subject, which is always the most animate constituent. The marking of the verb as egophoric then requires two things: first, the egophoric locus (usually the speaker, but see later) and the subject must coincide, and second, in the active voices, the subject must have acted volitionally, and in the inverse voices, they must have somehow experienced the situation in a way that third parties could not.

As an example, we will consider the prototypical transitive verb "hit". A typical sentence might be:
ʔdzilákhíi
ʔdzi-
TR.EGO-
lákh
hit.REAL
-ii
-PFV.REAL
"I hit him."

This is mostly the same as the English translation equivalent, but with the subtle distinction that the egophoric form precludes a reading in which the hitting was accidental. To express this, one would say:
(kɔ́ɔ́ ŋa) ʔgilákhíiʂ
kɔ́ɔ́
1s
ŋa
ʔgi-
TR.ALLO-
lákh
hit.REAL
-ii
-PFV.REAL
-DIR

Since the agent was not fully in control of their actions, they are considered to be epistemically an observer. Note how the sentence is marked with an evidentiality clitic in when the allophoric form is used, which would be ungrammatical with the egophoric form.

If the speaker is the one being hit, on the other hand, then in normal cases the egophoric inverse would be used:
walákhíi
wa-
TR.INV.EGO-
lákh
hit.REAL
-ii
-PRV.REAL

"He hit me."

Since being hit usually implies feeling the pain, using the allophoric inverse is possible only where the speaker is dazed or unconscious:
tholákhphíyíʔam
tho-
TR.INV.ALLO-
lákh
hit.REAL
-phí
-down
-ii
-PFV.REAL
-ʔam
-INFER

"He must have knocked me out."

With intransitive verbs, the choice of prefix depends on similar factors. In essence, Ubghuu behaves like a split-S language here: a more agent-like intransitive S takes the active prefix, a more patient-like the inverse. For example:

yahų́váa
ya-
ITR.EGO-
ŋúb
walk.REAL
-∅
-IPFV
-aa
-ITR.EGO

"I am walking."

zìʐoowaa
zì-
STAT.EGO-
dóó
feel_relaxed
-∅
-IPFV
-aa
-ITR.EGO

"I feel relaxed."

Shifts of the egophoric locus
The egophoric locus is usually the same as the speaker, but it can shift in some discourse contexts. In particular, reported speech and questions can change it to third and second persons, respectively. To ask someone for permission to do something, for instance, a construction such as the following is used:

Ziibáwáa bho kɔ́ɔ́ mààŋ bhukhoolophí?
zì-
STAT.EGO-
íbá
feel_good
-∅
-IPFV
-we
-Q
-aa
-ITR.EGO
bho
CMPL
kɔ́ɔ́
1s
màà
this
-(e)ŋ
-LOC
b-
PURP-
u-
CONJ-
khool
sit.IRR
-phí
-down
-∅
-IPFV

"May I sit here?/Is it fine with you if I sit here?"

While the conjunct verb is not prefixally marked for egophoricity, note that this verb would take -aa if it were egophoric. Similar conditions apply in reported speech:

ʔdzilákhííyɔq (ʔivomii)
ʔdzi-
TR.EGO-
lákh
hit.REAL
-ii
-PFV.REAL
-yɔq
-QUOT
ʔi-
ITR.ALLO-
vom
say.REAL
-ii
-PFV.REAL

"Hei said that hei hit himj."

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Shit sound change dump. The vowels don't change enough, but eh

Code:
m  n     ŋ                 i iː      u uː
p  t     k  q              ɪ ɪː      ʊ ʊː
b  d     g                           o oː
f  s  š                    ɛ ɛː      ɔ ɔː
w  r  j                         a aː
   l

š q > x ʔ
C > C[+palatalized] / _V[+front +high], _j
rounding harmony develops (a is neutral)
first short vowel in word is lost; if the pitch accent was on that vowel, the next vowel takes extra-low tone

Code:
m  mʲ  n  nʲ  ŋ  ŋʲ
p  pʲ  t  tʲ  k  kʲ  ʔ
b  bʲ  d  dʲ  g  gʲ
f  fʲ  s  sʲ  x  xʲ
w  wʲ  r  rʲ     j
       l  lʲ

r w > gʷ / #_
C[+alveolar -palatal], C[+velar -palatal] > C[+retroflex], C[+uvular] / _V[-ATR]

Elimination of central vowels:
a aː ɔ ɔː ɜ ɜː ɪ ɪː ᵻ ᵻː ʊ ʊː > a aː ɔ ɔː ɛ ɛː e iː e i: o u:
e eː o oː ə əː i iː ɨ ɨː u uː > ɛ ɛː o oː e eː i iː i iː u uː
In non-initial syllables, ɜ ɜː ə əː > a aː a aː

Code:
m  mʲ  n  nʲ  ɳ  ŋ  ŋʲ      ɴ
p  pʲ  t  tʲ  ʈ  k  kʲ      q      ʔ
b  bʲ  d  dʲ  ɖ  g  gʲ  gʷ  ɢ  ɢʷ
f  fʲ  s  sʲ  ʂ  x  xʲ      χ
w  wʲ  r  rʲ  ɽ     j
       l  lʲ  ɭ

gʷ ɢʷ > bʲ b
ɴ > h~
F > F[+voice] / ! C_
S > S_h / ! C_
simplification of clusters: only sequences of N+C, C1C2 with C2 apical or r and ?C allowed, nonconforming clusters eliminated in the order R > N > F > S

Code:
m  mʲ  n  nʲ  ɳ  ŋ  ŋʲ
p  pʲ  t  tʲ  ʈ  k  kʲ  q  ʔ
pʰ pʲʰ tʰ tʲʰ ʈʰ kʰ kʲʰ qʰ
b  bʲ  d  dʲ  ɖ  g  gʲ  ɢ
bʱ bʲʱ dʱ dʲʱ ɖʱ gʱ gʲʱ ɢʱ
f  fʲ  s  sʲ  ʂ  x  xʲ  χ
v  vʲ  z  zʲ  ʐ  ɣ  ɣʲ  ʁ
w  wʲ  r  rʲ  ɽ     j
       l  lʲ  ɭ

ɢʱ ʁ > ɦ
C[+alveolar +palatalized], C[+velar +palatalized] > C[+palatal]

Old Ubghuu / Proto-Ubghuuic:

Code:
m  mʲ  n  ɳ  ɲ  ŋ
p  pʲ  t  ʈ  c  k  q  ʔ
pʰ pʲʰ tʰ ʈʰ cʰ kʰ qʰ
b  bʲ  d  ɖ  ɟ  g  ɢ
bʱ bʲʱ dʱ ɖʱ ɟʱ gʱ
f  fʲ  s  ʂ  ç  x  χ
v  vʲ  z  ʐ  ʝ  ɣ     ɦ
w  wʲ        j
       r  ɽ  rʲ
       l  ɭ  ʎ

i e ɛ a ɔ o u, HLM, length, nasality

To modern Ubghuu:

ɲ > j̃
rʲ lʲ wʲ > j
c cʰ ɟ ɟʱ ç ʝ > ts̪ ts̪ʰ dz̪ dz̪ʱ s̪ z̪
C[+alveolar] > C[+retroflex] / V[-front]
C[+alveolar] > C[+dental] / V[+front]
ɽ l > r ɭ
tone lowers after voiced fricatives and breathy plain voiced stops
ɦ > 0
F[-voiced] > F[+voiced]
S[+breathy] > S[+voiced]
umlaut:
ɛ ɔ e o i u > a a ɛ ɔ e o / _Ca
ɛ e ɔ o > e i o u / _Ci, _Cu
a > ɔ /_Cu, a > ɛ / _Ci
syllable weight law: long vowels shorten in closed syllables, non-final short vowels lengthen in open syllables
n > ŋ / _#
S[+voice], ʔ > 0 / _#
short final vowels are lost
χ x > h
s > h / _#, _C
n ɳ merge

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

Last edited by Hallow XIII on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:45 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

here's a shit new lang

Code:
    tʰ       kʰ
p   t        k
f   s   ʃ
m   n   ɲ
w   r   j
    l

a aː e eː i iː o oː u uː

aː eː iː oː uː > aw je i wo u initially, a e i o u elsewhere
a e i o u > ə ɪ ɪ ʊ ʊ non-initially
front/back harmony develops: a e ə o ɪ ʊ i u > æ e ɪ ø ɪ ʏ i y/a ɤ ɤ o ᵻ ʊ ɨ u
ɪ ʏ ᵻ ʊ > e ø ɤ o / {m,n,ɲ}_
k > ŋ / _C[+nasal]
ə ɪ ʏ ᵻ ʊ > 0 / _#
ɪ ʏ ᵻ ʊ > i y ɨ u
y ø > i e
ɲ > j
ŋk > ŋ / _#
kʰ > x
f > h
s > h / _#
š > s
h > x / _#
u o > ɨ u
æ ɤ > e a
l > t / C_#

will probably post some more interesting stuff (by which i mean morphosyntax) soon

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:41 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

i still cannot be arsed to post anything, it is a tragedy
somebody slap me

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

/me slaps Hallow XIII around a bit with a large trout.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next