zompist bboard

a congress of convoluted conworldery
It is currently Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Lingua questionnaire
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm 
Visanom
Visanom

You know the Lingua questionnaire? I thought I had it on my computer somewhere, but apparently not, so I downloaded it from here: http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/~jrvalent/LIN427F2005web/pages/20.html. I'm using it now, but many of the questions are really hard to answer because I can't understand what they're asking for. The questionnaire has explanations for only a few of the questions.
So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a document that explains the questions in this questionnaire, or a completely filled out questionnaire that's good for reference?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Spelling out what's meant by all the questions would be a major undertaking. But I imagine most things you might not understand could be explained by a Google search of the terminology - in fact, a great deal of it is probably on Wikipedia. Anything you still don't get could probably be answered by people here if you make a thread about it (and that would help other people as well).

Most of the morphosyntax stuff is covered in a bit more detail in Payne's Describing Morphosyntax, and most good introductory phonology textbooks should deal with most of what's asked about in the phonology questions.

A filled-out questionnaire for a single language might not be all that helpful, as a lot of the answers are just going to be "no", which doesn't tell you anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:23 pm 
Visanom
Visanom

Curlyjimsam wrote:
Spelling out what's meant by all the questions would be a major undertaking.

I know. >_< I have to set milestone goals so that it won't seem too overwhelming.

Curlyjimsam wrote:
But I imagine most things you might not understand could be explained by a Google search of the terminology - in fact, a great deal of it is probably on Wikipedia. Anything you still don't get could probably be answered by people here if you make a thread about it (and that would help other people as well).

The problem is not just understanding terms or concepts. Take the first question for example: "Does the language make any difference between direct speech and quoted speech?"
AFAICT, even after Googling, direct and quoted speech are the same thing. I'm not sure if making a thread here for all the questions I have is such a good thing, because I will end up having millions of questions. I think people would just stop replying after a while. Even if I made separate threads for each question.

Curlyjimsam wrote:
A filled-out questionnaire for a single language might not be all that helpful, as a lot of the answers are just going to be "no", which doesn't tell you anything.

Well, the good thing about this questionnaire is that it forces you to think and write about underdeveloped parts of your grammar. Even though I'm writing a separate grammar, I might just as well fill out the questionnaire too. It could come in handy if you quickly need to reference something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Qwynegold wrote:
AFAICT, even after Googling, direct and quoted speech are the same thing.

Tmk, direct speech is where the speech is incorporated directly into the sentence (He said that he didn't want to go) while in quoted speech it is not (He said, "I don't want to go")

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:49 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

KathTheDragon wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:

Tmk, direct speech is where the speech is incorporated directly into the sentence (He said that he didn't want to go) while in quoted speech it is not (He said, "I don't want to go")

I know the former as indirect speech (at least in German, indirekte Rede, and would be surprised if that was different in English). Direct speech is AFAIK the same as quoted speech. But non-European languages may treat these things differently. We must avoid falling subject to SAE prejudice here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:11 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

... That is very true. My bad, I guess I misremembered.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:13 am 
Lebom
Lebom

WeepingElf wrote:
KathTheDragon wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:

I know the former as indirect speech (at least in German, indirekte Rede, and would be surprised if that was different in English). Direct speech is AFAIK the same as quoted speech. But non-European languages may treat these things differently. We must avoid falling subject to SAE prejudice here.

The same conventions are used in Danish. Perhaps this is what is meant by the questionnaire?
Otherwise, do some languages consistently overtly mark quotations? SAE dosn't (direct speech)? This might be what is meant.
I don't know any non-SAE languages well snough to provide input on this but i wouldn't be suprised if some languages always use something akin to indirect speech (changing the original utterance), and some languages always use direct speech (leaving the original utterance intact and able to work as a core sentence argument.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:09 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

There are intermediate types. (Another good paper, if you have JSTOR access, is this one.)

Anyway in this particular case though I'm pretty sure it's actually a typo in the questionnaire. It makes little sense otherwise.

R.Rusanov wrote:
seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg

Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:38 pm 
Visanom
Visanom

Hallow XIII wrote:
Anyway in this particular case though I'm pretty sure it's actually a typo in the questionnaire. It makes little sense otherwise.

Hmm, after readin all the replies, I think this might be the actual case. So they are actually asking if you make a distinction between direct and indirect speech?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:07 am 
Sanci
Sanci

The title amuses me, but only because I call my own code/idiolect/relex "lingua". Short for lingua privitòs, "private language".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:53 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

gufferdk wrote:
Otherwise, do some languages consistently overtly mark quotations?

Some Native American languages do.