zompist bboard

WE ARE MOVING - see Ephemera
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

This is almost the first time I post a kind of, sort of conworlding-related piece of creativity on this board. (In case you're wondering, I originally joined here because of my interest in Zompist's conworld, Almea.) I have very little to offer, though. I don't have any languages, maps, detailed history, conreligions, or even names. All I have are some political, social, and cultural concepts. I originally conceived of this conculture as antagonists, but feel free to see them as protagonists, if you prefer.

THE AGEIST KINGDOM

The Ageist Kingdom was founded in the aftermath of a successful slave rebellion. Once the old masters had been overthrown, the leaders of the revolution had a problem: the economy in their part of their planet had been almost entirely based on slavery, and they weren't quite sure how to run things without it. Some people suggested enslaving the former masters, but there weren't enough of them, and they weren't any good at backbreaking physical work, anyway. For a while, in a few places, a few of the leaders of the revolution effectively took the place of the old masters and basically re-enslaved their own followers, but that kind of thing was widely condemned.

Finally, one of the leaders of the revolution, a blunt, gruff man, stood up and said: "I was a slave for the first 29 years of my life; then, the revolution happened, and I became a free man. Why shouldn't everyone live their lives in that way?" And so, the idea was born to have all the really unpleasant jobs done by young people, while older people would take the more privileged positions in society.

For political reasons, it was impossible to call the status of the young under the new system "slavery", so they settled on the euphemism "royal service" instead. Now, a few centuries after the original revolution, it starts at age seven and ends at age 35. Once people have turned 35, they are banned from the jobs performed by royal servants, and can try to have a middle class career. To prepare people for that, royal servants are required to take evening classes after work. (Ages for the species in question are equivalent to the same ages for Earth humans.)

Businesses effectively "rent" royal servants from the crown; of course, you have to be at least 35 years old to run a business (and most partners in businesses - most businesses are organized as law firm style partnerships - are a good deal older than that, since it usually takes a while to work your way up through the management ranks).

From age 15 onwards, people can try to replace regular royal service with military service by applying for the military; but there, too, the higher ranks are reserved for people aged 35 and older.

POLITICAL STRUCTURE

The Ageist Kingdom is ruled by a monarch. The monarch, however, doesn't inherit power and doesn't hold it for life; instead, they're appointed for a term of two years by the Council of Former Monarchs (which is just what it says on the tin). In exceptional circumstances, a monarch can get a second two years term; but once a monarch has left the throne and joined the Council, they can't return to the throne. The five leaders of the original revolution who founded the Kingdom through an agreement among each other got five year terms each, though one of them died three years into his term.

While the monarch is, in theory, absolute, they are always subject to recall by the Council. As a result, some commentators have called the monarchy "a two year initiation rite for future Council members". To ensure the Council's independence, it has sovereign power over its own parts of the capital (originally a suburb, now pretty close to the city center), and its own guard, which wears uniforms designed to by easily distinguished from those of the regular military. In theory, regular troops are banned from the Council Quarter of the capital; in practise, individual officers from the regular military and their aides are often in the Council Quarter to attend meetings, hold presentations, and the like, but they need special permits for that every time.

The monarch is usually a retired general or admiral. Sometimes, a senior civil servant is chosen instead; when that happens, it usually means that the Kingdom wants to signal to some other power that it is serious about some recent peace initiative or something similar. The Kingdom has roughly the early 21st century Western World's level of sexism; women are underrepresented but not absent in positions of power. The monarch is usually a king, but sovereign queens aren't remarkable.

There are various assemblies elected by various parts of the 35-and-over parts of the population, but so far, they're all just advisory. The monarchy in the Kingdom is far from being just ceremonial.

If the monarch is appointed by an institution, and has only a limited term in office, then why are they called a king or queen in the first place? Simple: when the Kingdom was founded, the language spoken by those who founded it had next to no small-r republican vocabulary.

The traditional symbol of the monarch's authority is the Royal Sword; an incoming monarch legally becomes monarch at the moment during the inauguration ceremony when they first hold that Sword. Earlier in the ceremony, they are required to report on what menial jobs they performed during their own royal service; this is seen as them proving that they have earned the right to rule, and to ask others to perform royal service.

IDEOLOGY

In the centuries since the Ageist Kingdom was founded, it has grown to be one of the major powers on its planet. Mainstream subjects of the Kingdom, at least if they're 35 or older, tend to think that they live in the most just, or as many writers put it, "least unjust" society on their planet, since everyone has to spend time in the lowest classes of society, everyone who lives long enough gets to rise at least to the middle class, and everyone has a chance to rise to the top. However, many intellectuals and military and political leaders have concluded from this that the kingdom has a moral obligation to spread its political and social structure (and by implication, its rule) to all of the planet on which it exists. Although this attitude is not always dominant, it still causes near-constant tensions between the Kingdom and other powers.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:29 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Nice, interesting and plausible.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:28 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:55 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I concur with WeepingElf.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:52 pm 
Niš
Niš

This sounds like something that could have arisen if the Helots had successfully rebelled against the Spartans but had taken the constitution of their former masters as a starting point for their own institutions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartan_Constitution