Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting New)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Anyone want to Start on a Mass Project?

Post by Nannalu »

And Amuere, I took the mountain by the way so your area might be pretty small.
næn:älʉː

Amuere
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Amuere »

@ Absolem: I don't mind, I didn't want the mountain part anyway.

@ Cockroach: I'll probably keep them as minorities for a while, it'll be a good source of substrata for me.
Tjalehu ge frulehu, tjea ale stjindamihu? Dime sfraiaknanmi.

Economic: -7.33
Social: 0.31

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Azdusha seems to not be coming back. I don't think he's going to become a regular contributor to this board. I'd give Christopher a few more days though.

Oh, and to anyone else thinking about joining, rickardspaghetti and Astraios are probably lonely over on their continent, so you should probably get a spot over there

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Yeah, come and play with us! There's plenty of room. It looks like we'll end up with an Afro-Eurasia and a North America - the more heavily populated continent seems to be full of conpeoples brushing shoulders with each other, while ours is basically empty. :)

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

Ebba Leaci wrote:Hmm.. I need to update that map...
planet_loc.png
Haven't seen Christopher Schröder, Wierdmin, valiums, or Azdusha since they claimed a spot, though.
Cockroach wrote:Azdusha seems to not be coming back. I don't think he's going to become a regular contributor to this board. I'd give Christopher a few more days though./quote]

I'm still here, the last few days have been a bit overwhelming. I'm still going to do this. We're still in conpeople and proto-conlang world right? (This thread's getting a bit much)

I'll have some things up in a bit

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Yup. And post what you have here:

http://yucop.wikia.com/wiki/YUCOP_Wiki

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

I've been rather busy of late, and so might not be able to take part after all. I'm not expecting the busyness to lighten for quite a while.
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

no problem

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

"the following are pronounced as they are in english and most other languages"
I don't mean to be an overly-critical asshole, but this isn't... well... a good description of a language by any account.

better it is to give IPA or XSAMPA phonetic approximations to the 'lang's phonemes, like [dare I say] normal people do :P

if you need any help I, and most of the rest of the board, can help you... also, recommended reading is the Language Construction Kit, either in web form or [preferrably] on tree corpses.

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

It isn't exactly up to snuff, but it works, and I want to get all the other important stuff done before I go back and polish.

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

So I've gotten some quick ethnographic, linguistic and religious-ic sketches started and something like finished. The ethnography is on the site, the others will follow after some polishing.

Is it alright if my people start with some domestication underway or are we starting at the most basic proto-world? Also, which pattern of migration are we using?

May I assume that the mountains+fault lines on mine and Cockroach's border means plenty of access to a variety of metals?

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

1. Good
2. Yea, go ahead on the domestication
3. Well, it'd mean more volcanic stuff, but Metal can be just about anywhere.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

It seems like there are going to be some delays, and to be honest this kinda sets me back, since the part I really wanted to work on was the bronze age culture

Also, Azdusha, am I correct in thinking that you drew some inspiration for the Lahedu language from Bantu?

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

Cockroach wrote:Also, Azdusha, am I correct in thinking that you drew some inspiration for the Lahedu language from Bantu?
:D yeah, I've been having a love affair with swahili for a while now. The grammar is even a bit more obvious.

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Cockroach wrote:It seems like there are going to be some delays, and to be honest this kinda sets me back, since the part I really wanted to work on was the bronze age culture

Also, Azdusha, am I correct in thinking that you drew some inspiration for the Lahedu language from Bantu?
If everyone agrees, we can move some people forward. After all, civilization doesn't progress at the same rate.

Also, if you guys are fine with it, I'd like to work on a new group in the same area I am at. They are low tech, and quite primitive(And will stay as such without foreign intervention).

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I like it. I say we release advancement rights up into some level. I propose that level be writing, copper and silver, but not bronze, primitive masonry (not the arch, but certainly baked clay bricks and such) domestication and grain storage.

Also, I want my guys to write but NOT to have developed writing, so they are going to copy someone else's script

A note on that regard: writing doesn't originate as alphabets, so I'd like for that to be considered by anyone who invents it :mrgreen:

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Fine by me. I plan to hold my guys back a bit anyway, at least until they come into contact with other people :-).

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Torco wrote:I like it. I say we release advancement rights up into some level. I propose that level be writing, copper and silver, but not bronze, primitive masonry (not the arch, but certainly baked clay bricks and such) domestication and grain storage.

Also, I want my guys to write but NOT to have developed writing, so they are going to copy someone else's script

A note on that regard: writing doesn't originate as alphabets, so I'd like for that to be considered by anyone who invents it :mrgreen:

Well, I get that we won't be advancing into jet fuel yet, but with regards to the tech you mentioned, we should still be able to put all of your eggs in one basket. If you don't get what I'm saying, because sometimes I just ramble, one civilization could be working iron, but not know anything about writing and masonry, and think animals aren't things to be controlled. Or a civilization with advanced boat technologies, but not much going on on land. Get what I'm saying? Also, I suggest this so that we get a variety of civilizations, because even on earth civilizations don't develop the same way at the same growth.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

So different civs should follow a different path through the tech tree ?

I thought that was implicit, but sure, I dig

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Torco wrote:So different civs should follow a different path through the tech tree ?

I didn't know you thought it was a given. Just making sure.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Lukas Kelly wrote:
Torco wrote:So different civs should follow a different path through the tech tree ?

I didn't know you thought it was a given. Just making sure.
Right on, man

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

A few questions/considerations

1. Do you think it's appropriate to start actively advertising this project? Because there's still alot of space left on the map, and we might could use some new recruits
2. I'm starting to ponder again the idea of deadlines and reminders. Obviously we don't want to keep people involved in the project any longer than they want to, but seeing as how this is a collaborative effort, other people will be necessarily interacting with our creations, and projects like these have been know to get of to an enthusiastic start only to die a few weeks later, I think some cautionary steps might be in order

baraka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baraka »

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have the time for this. Sorry chaps.

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Cockroach wrote:A few questions/considerations

1. Do you think it's appropriate to start actively advertising this project? Because there's still alot of space left on the map, and we might could use some new recruits
2. I'm starting to ponder again the idea of deadlines and reminders. Obviously we don't want to keep people involved in the project any longer than they want to, but seeing as how this is a collaborative effort, other people will be necessarily interacting with our creations, and projects like these have been know to get of to an enthusiastic start only to die a few weeks later, I think some cautionary steps might be in order
1. Yes
2. Sounds good. How about Friday for your Proto-People? It doesn't seem like too bad of a deadline, after all, we've had 2 weeks.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Friday should be manageable.