Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting New)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Anyone want to Start on a Mass Project?

Post by Nannalu »

Because Y looks dreadful initially on English words.
næn:älʉː

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Ucopea

or something

and sorry if this sounds unkind... but on what on earth or elsewhere could you be grounding such a statement as "moon are more likely to harbour life" ??? how many inhabited moons do you know?

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

All of Jupiter's moons have oceans. Read this:
Wikipedia's article wrote:As with Europa and Ganymede, the idea has been raised that extraterrestrial microbial life may exist in a salty ocean under the Callistoan surface.[18] However, the conditions for life appear to be less favourable on Callisto than on Europa. The principal reasons are the lack of contact with rocky material and the lower heat flux from the interior of Callisto.[18] Scientist Torrence Johnson said the following about comparing the odds of life on Callisto with the odds on other Galilean moons:[49]
“ The basic ingredients for life—what we call 'pre-biotic chemistry'—are abundant in many solar system objects, such as comets, asteroids and icy moons. Biologists believe liquid water and energy are then needed to actually support life, so it's exciting to find another place where we might have liquid water. But, energy is another matter, and currently, Callisto's ocean is only being heated by radioactive elements, whereas Europa has tidal energy as well, from its greater proximity to Jupiter. ”
Based on the considerations mentioned above and on other scientific observations, it is thought that of all of Jupiter's Galilean moons, Europa has the greatest chance of supporting microbial life.[18][50]
This means that other lunar satellites may also harbour life via black smokers.

Ċeaddawīc
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ċeaddawīc »

Absolem wrote:Because Y looks dreadful initially on English words.
These are all lies. I hereby declare this planet "Yucopia." Yet, you have yet to yellow yourself yielding yourself yucky to young'uns.
[ˈwiɹʷˤb̚.mɪn]

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

So we've settled for planet instead of moon?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

You can't declare anything until we all agree.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Absolem wrote:You can't declare anything until we all agree.
I propose simple mayority, as opposed to consensus, as a criterion

plus, what Roach said: I thought this thing was going to be more about the peoples and less about the funk. An earth-sized jovian moon is a *very* strange proposition, given that all moons we know are much much smaller, and a titan-sized earth would be far too funky in my opinion.

who else needs to vote, btw?

regarding the name, I vote blank: Ucopia, ucopea, yucopea, yoocopeea, whatever.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Iucopia?
Yuukoopiia?
Ükopëa?
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

I don't care for either moon or planet in particular, but I do like Yucopia as a worldname. Or else we should each name it in one of our langs and vote on the best (no voting for your own)

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

*Sigh*

I really hope I don't end up sounding like a dick

1. As far as we know, the only life to have ever developed did so on a planet. While it does seem that life on a moon is possible it would be radically different from life we know. Differences between Yucop and Earth are OK, laudable even, but this isn't just adding in velociraptors to the savanna or having 2 separate intelligent races; this would completely and utterly change the ecology of Yucop. It's almost like saying "let's think up a con planet and develop seperate civilizations on it's different continents, only on this planet entropy is reversed and heat flows away from cold objects and towards hot ones". I'm afraid if we made our world into something so alien as a moon, we'd get so caught up in the mechanics of the damn place, including the very neurology and psychology of our conpeople, that we'd have no time to work on the culture.

2. I disagree with Torco in that I prefer consensus over simple majority. We should always look for the right solution, and in a well functioning group, it should present itself through thorough but genial debate. However, supposing you did demonstrate that Earth-like life could form on a moon without any disrupting differences. All you have done is demonstrate that it is possible. You have therefore changed the debate from one of feasibility to one of personal preference. You think being on a moon would be cool. I think I'd rather be on a planet. Both opinions are just that: opinions. It's in cases like these that I think a simple majority should be applied

If everyone else votes on a moon, I'll be disappointed, but I'll be OK with that

As for the name, I really don't care

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

I agree with Cockroach's point one. Also, I think it should be Yucopia, because the wiki is already "Yucop". Also, we'd still be able to spell it however we want, but Yucopia could be the universal name/spelling IMO.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I think I'd rather be on a planet. Both opinions are just that: opinions. It's in cases like these that I think a simple majority should be applied
so you don't disagree with me :P

and yeah, planet.
go go planet

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

No, I guess I don't disagree with you, as long as we both believe that simple majority votes are for matters of opinion only.

Ċeaddawīc
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ċeaddawīc »

Cockroach wrote:No, I guess I don't disagree with you, as long as we both believe that simple majority votes are for matters of opinion only.
Not that I disagree with you, 'cause I don't, but isn't opinion a matter of perspective? I don't believe it's an opinion if I think it's a fact that having a Yucopia on a moon will be a hindrance to our goals. It just bothers me when people talk about "opinions" and such, but that's for another rant.
[ˈwiɹʷˤb̚.mɪn]

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

I totally agree with you. That's what point #1 was all about. I'm only saying its a matter of opinion if point #1 is satisfied

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Torco wrote:regarding the name, I vote blank: Ucopia, ucopea, yucopea, yoocopeea, whatever.
Name doesn't matter to me. My people is gonna call it "ādā" anyway.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Юкопия.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Iucopia.

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

finlay wrote:Юкопия.
Touche

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Hey, I'm gonna take up another civ, and put them in the jungles next to my other people.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Lukas Kelly wrote:Hey, I'm gonna take up another civ, and put them in the jungles next to my other people.
knock yourself out

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Speaking of that, Torco you and I should get to work on that civilization between us. What should we name it (probably something vaguely Chalmean)?

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

how about something like [Biwám] ?

Also, what kind of hibridation are we thinking about? I've got a few ideas:

- ethnic chalmeans ruled by a tll-ikish military elite [viceversa is hard, since the chalmeans aren't all that militaristic]
- chalmean pirates, led by an ambicious warchief, kidnap a bunch of tll-ikish women and found a city
- slow and organic creolization around a common job opportunity, like a prosperous gold mine where ikish and chalmean families slowly migrate towards, eventually intermarry, and end up mixing
- ethnogenetic castes: Tll-ikish form the warrior caste, Chalmeans make up the bourgeoisie and some substrate conquered people or peoples, maybe slaves, make up the peasant class, with a mixed political aristocracy.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Hmmm. How about something like making the Biwám a civilization composed of multiple city states, most of have Tll-Ikish mercenaries responsible for their defense/army. Kinda like Byzantium and the Varangian guard.

#4 sounds good too. Biwám would be common merchants and peasants, Tll-Ikish the military servants, and Drs-ikish the slaves. Chalmea could serve as the Biwám's culture inspiration, like how Japan emulated the Chinese. #3 could be good too, though it would take more time to develop.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I'd rather have the Drs-Ikish be serfs than proper slaves, but I like them. the Varangians, however, were kind of a minority sector, I'm thinking more of a caste-like structure, tho there could still be some 'racially pure' Tll-ikish units that are kind of an elite.

Regarding hibridation, how do Tll-ikish kinship works ?