Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting New)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Go ahead.

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

My people are too scared to go into the forest, so you may want to take advantage of that.
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Was anyone else planning on inventing the abacus? Because if not I'll have the Tll-Ikish invent that too

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

Is my area Amazon, or African Congo rainforrest? In either case I would like to add a river.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

That continent is roughly analogious to America (original, aren't we?), so go for Amazon. It's moot, though, they both have rivers running through them IRL. Rivers are all over the place.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

when you put a river in make sure you get the elevation map and it only goes downhill. On this map this is roughly from the yellow areas to the sea, but you never know. Your river won't be long like the Amazon or the Congo in that place, but you can certainly put a whole bunch of rivers in a small place (cf the PCK where zompist puts in a map of Borneo with all the rivers on it, and there are quite a few...), so you might have a few coming down from the mountains and joining together into one river system.

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

finlay wrote:That continent is roughly analogious to America (original, aren't we?), so go for Amazon. It's moot, though, they both have rivers running through them IRL. Rivers are all over the place.
He changed from that Continent to Keskus.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Lukas Kelly wrote:
finlay wrote:That continent is roughly analogious to America (original, aren't we?), so go for Amazon. It's moot, though, they both have rivers running through them IRL. Rivers are all over the place.
wtf are you talking about? he just put his mark there on the map.

keskus has no space left, anyway.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Treskro if you want to take my river area go ahead. I'm not planning on making my people on Ibabaw very advanced. Sorry

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

finlay wrote:
Lukas Kelly wrote:
wtf are you talking about? he just put his mark there on the map.

keskus has no space left, anyway.
He was originally talking about joining onto the Colonization Continent, but it appears that he's made space on Keskus.

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

My mistake. I was thinking that Keskus was the name of Ibabaw.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

This work?

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

rivers.png
rivers.png (12.73 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Rivers modified to be more reasonable. Dark blue is already existing rivers, light blue is your rivers in your land modified to be more realistic. Just because an area is the same color doesn't mean it's the same height, that one that curls around the mountain likely will go uphill at some point... Green is valid rivers/lakes that are outside of your land, and thus are something that the other person (or people) have to allow. red is a river starting in the desert mountain... any such river would be quite small, if it exists at all.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Cockroach wrote:Treskro if you want to take my river area go ahead. I'm not planning on making my people on Ibabaw very advanced. Sorry
Alright. Do you have any sort of information those people yet?
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

BTW great job on the Qhalqon writing system Leaci. Looking at it reminds me that I still have quite a few symbols that I need to supply (I didn't make a word for arm or hand? How foolish!). I like the clear linearity of your script though (I imagine, since the Qhalqon are a forest people, that there primary method of writing will be by chisel?)

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

Who's developing writing on Ibabaw? I was thinking of inventing an abjad for the Garo, but, I want to see, because, it'd be interesting to adapt another languages writing system for the language. Also, jseamus, what happened to him? I was planning migrations north and east into the other territories, a bit of culture mixing, y'know?
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

I have a writing sample, though it hasn't been developed from pictographs or anything so I'm a bit skeptical about its realism.

http://yucop.wikia.com/wiki/Proto-Vdangku_Language
axhiuk.

看蝦米

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

I like it, I like it. =D With your permission I'd like to adapt it to my languages phonology, with your permission and help, rather.xD
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

This is a bit outlandish but still possible (I think).

Cultures trace back as far as 5000 years.

Domesticated animals and their uses:

The Elephant

This animal was domesticated 3,000 years ago. The elephant is an animal used by farmers, traders and warriors. Farmers use this beast for cultivating fields and transporting tools and goods to the markets and back. All farming families have a herd of at least six. Then other village members also have elephants. They often breed these animals in a way that optimizes traits while avoiding inbreeding. Large pastures are almost always found nearby in order help feed these animals.

Traders use this beast for obvious reasons. They carry large amounts of goods. A trader often has a small herd in order to carry both the goods he intends to sell and the supplies he needs to survive. Often times a removable hut is built on top of the elephant much like an RV. They are also used in the markets because they can be taught how to take goods to a certain person. A note is tied to the Elephants neck that states how much payment is needed and the command required to send the beast or to the next location. An elephant can easily tell how much of its load a person is to take. Many commands are given to the beast by its owner and it remembers them all.

Warriors use this beast to frighten their enemy and crush all in their way. Weapons and supplies are carried swiftly along. They are fearless and strong and make a huge advantage over their enemy. When they go on crusades they are rarely defeated. These beasts are treasured for their strength, memory diligence and their obedience.

An elephant is a sign of wealth.

Farmers have also domesticated cows, sheep, and goats.

The Hawk:

Every kid over the age of three is found with a hawk. Falconry is a sport and a necessity. After all, “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.” Hunting is almost impossible without these animals. Young children are encouraged to bring home rabbits and small animals for supper. They are also required to cook and preserve their catch.

The Big Cats:

These people have domesticated several big cats. These include the Tiger, the Cheetah and the Jaguar. All of which have been bred into gigantism. This trait allows them to be ridden.

Tigers are used for ground travel, hunting and war. They are swift and stealthy. Most fathers want their sons to ride tigers as it is a sign of strength and bravery. Talented riders can aim a bow and arrow while clinging to the beast with their feet and knees while running full speed. When this society eventually makes contact with other societies they will use them throughout the nearby lands. This animal is valued for its strength, intelligence and speed.

Cheetahs after going through gigantism are slower, though their endurance has risen. A Cheetah can now maintain a speed of 40 miles an hour for 10 miles and 50 miles an hour for 2 miles. This animal is used by messengers. A system has been set up where after a certain amount of distance a station is set up so that he can switch Cheetahs. At these stations the rider gives some of the “mail” to the station head and then checks out a new Cheetah. Cheetahs are also used in battle and in hunting prey.

The Jaguar is the most common most common beast. Most people own one. They are used for transportation. The jaguar is prized for its speed and agility. Most people ride them up in the forest canopy away from the dangers below. Jaguars are mostly for personal use.

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

moko wrote:I like it, I like it. =D With your permission I'd like to adapt it to my languages phonology, with your permission and help, rather.xD
Yup go ahead.
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Ashroot wrote:This is a bit outlandish but still possible (I think).
Elephants are fine.

Hawks being a "necessity" for hunting is not, as humans are capable of hunting on their own - though it's an interesting idea and I think it would look better if it was more toned down, so that, for example, there was a single hawk per wealthy household.

Big cats, is a possibilty, though an unlikely one - the Ancient Egyptians had cheetahs after all - but the gigantism and (especially) the riding? Just no. :? First, cats are far too bendy to ride. Humans can ride horses, camels, elephants, etc. because they all have very stiff and inflexible spines. Watch a slow motion video of a cheetah running, and compare its back with the gazelle it chases - which would you rather ride on (aside from the fact that the gazelle gets eaten, it'd be a much smoother ride)? And even if riding a cat was possible, it would severely limit the cat's stealth and agility, and I find it completely impossible to imagine a giant jaguar being ridden in the trees.

Sorry. :)

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Oh..5000 years. I put down -4800 as the year people started to move to the continent, and -3900 as the year when people reached the southern part of Ibabaw, but I guess we can change that? It depends on when other people settled their areas. An earlier date would probably work better, actually.

What kind of notes do your elephants carry? For example, do you have a writing system, has paper or something similar been invented yet, and if not, what are you writing on?

I would expect rainforest-dwellers to be mostly hunter-gatherers since there is not much open space for farming. Even in the modern age we still have several hunter-gathering tribes living in the Amazon. This would also cut into large grazing areas for elephants, reducing the large population that you seem to want. You don't necessarily need to use real animals though. Maybe in your case you could have some sort of tree/leaf/branch-eating mini-elephant. But again I'm not really sure about having a huge population of them in such a cloistered area.

So...I'm either ranting or I'm scared of this:
Warriors use this beast to frighten their enemy and crush all in their way. Weapons and supplies are carried swiftly along. They are fearless and strong and make a huge advantage over their enemy. When they go on crusades they are rarely defeated. These beasts are treasured for their strength, memory diligence and their obedience.
:wink:
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

I'm going to be starting work on a number system for the Sbakaz, and also, if there can I can get more info on the languages of Bawam, I'l start work on a Sbakaz creole.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I have people reaching the interior of northern Keskus at around -80,000. Maybe -60,000 to settle the northern coast, -40,000 to spread into the arctic islands, and -30,000/-20,000 for them reaching the Ibabaw mainland would work?
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."