Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting New)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting

Post by patiku »

Ashroot wrote:How does this look?

http://yucop.wikia.com/wiki/Ashrootmar
It looks like you ignored everyone's criticism of your ideas, especially the thing about people riding giant cheetahs.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Also, to paraphrase what Berek said on IRC, the refrigeration system is a "Gilligan's Island" mechanism that serves only to introduce modern conveniences into your consociety.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

Cockroach wrote:Also, to paraphrase what Berek said on IRC, the refrigeration system is a "Gilligan's Island" mechanism that serves only to introduce modern conveniences into your consociety.
Actually it was first introduced in The Swiss Family Robinson. I have an idea based firmly in reality.

A jar is filled with sand that is wet down. In the center is a smaller jar. As the water eveperates it cools the inside jar. This has been done in reality.

Now have enough of these jars and you have a ready suply of cold water.
patiku wrote:
Ashroot wrote:How does this look?

It looks like you ignored everyone's criticism of your ideas, especially the thing about people riding giant cheetahs.
Oh oops yeah. Honest mistake. Though a horse is just to terran what do you suggest would work as a replacement. I want in the trees stealth. Sigh boring Earth animals riding it is I guess. No excitement. agmwifntkair.

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Well I mean how is a mount that goes up trees supposed to work, anyhow? When the cat goes up a tree, does the rider hang on to its sides, or is he tied to the thing? Also, how many tree limbs can support the weight of an animal that can carry a human, plus the human himself? Big cats also have none of the endurance for long trips that horses do, and they're much more difficult to feed.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

But the fact that it can happen isn't the point. A quick look at the history shows that the first thing remotely approaching a refrigerator was done by William Cullen in 1756. Prior to that the height of low temperature technology was the icehouse, the world over.

And yet, somehow, civilization managed. People ate less perishable foods, like black bread and sourdough. Instead of drinking milk, they made cheese out of it. Meat, which was a rarity that few peasants could afford, was heavily salted. These people could have invented a refrigeration system. The resources were all there. They also could have built steam engines. But they didn't because that did not fit the pattern of development for a pre-industrial society. The fact that you borrowed your idea from the Swiss Family Robinson, a book/movie about a group of stranded Europeans "taming" the island through their advanced scientific and technical know how and making ropey conconuty versions of all the wonders of modern life, says almost all one needs to know about your idea.

I don't like being a dick. I usually try and wait until someone more articulate than I am comes along and makes my points for me, but I feel that has to change at some point. I thoroughly suggest you read the PCK. It explains alot about how pre-industrial societies worked. There's nothing wrong with creative licence but do consider that a) there are other people involved in this project and b) if you are making breaks with reality, its best that you be aware that you are doing so

Also, Patiku grab some land! You can have my part west of the mountains if you need it.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

You know who came up with the sand in the pottery? People from Paupa New Guinea. Know how I know that? A family trip. The first version of a refrigerator was more like SFR the sand in pot was PNG. I toned it way back no break in reality.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ashroot wrote:Oh. :| I've never posted on Wikipedia or its sister sites before.
It's, uh, absolutely nothing to do with wikipedia.... the word wiki does not denote association with wikipedia.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

oh. Ok. I could of sworn it said something about sister site somewhere.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Again, the question isn't could these inventions happen, but would they. The mechanics aren't in question, but the invention's conformity to known trends of technological development. Upon research, the only people to have developed the pot-in-pot refrigerator were from the Middle East, which leads me to suspect that the refrigerators you saw in New Guinea were a western introduction (the same refrigerators are now used in rural Nigeria. These refrigerators were invented in 1995).

And then there's this...
They have large sheets of cloth made out of a hemp equivalent that are covered in natural latex. They rope them in between three or more trees. They have a hole in the latex but not the cloth made so that water can pass through but decree may not. A latex covered cloth is placed over the hole to close it off when not in use. Now as it rains water levels rise. This being the rain forest overflow is an issue. A system of bamboo, clay, cloth and latex get water to different houses in the trees. Above every house are two large pottery containers. One has cold water the other is specially designed to keep a fire away from trees and flammable materials.
You haven't looked at the pattern of development for pre-industrial societies. You have constructed a pre-industrial society with mass refrigeration, (presumably clean) running water, and domesticated big cats and mammoths. This sounds, to people who are familiar with history, altogether too much like an episode of Gilligan's Island.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ashroot wrote:oh. Ok. I could of sworn it said something about sister site somewhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
wiki is the type of website - everyone can edit and so on. wikia.com is a site where you can go and set up your own free wiki for whatever purpose you like. TV Tropes (another wiki that's not connected to wikipedia) has an article called "the Wiki Rule" where the idea is that any subject that can have a wiki will have a wiki devoted to it. Examples include Star Wars, neo-Nazism and Cactuses. (TV Tropes, incidentally, is about fictional 'tropes', or devices that are used in storytelling, but it's branched out from that and a lot of people now consider it a very informal version of wikipedia with a focus on media.)

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

I will remove hot water and the showers. The pot-in-pot I will keep it works to well and it is mind numbingly simple. The water collection I will keep but they will put a second cloth on top to keep out animals and the possibility of a third cloth covered in rubber to keep the water in on hot days. The cloth at the bottom is also simple enough to keep.
Mamoth it is in the forest it will undoubtably be small. It will also have less fur. You steel the young females one might be able to train them. Also did male mamoths musk? I am ditching the big cats much to my dismay.

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Why not just call them furry elephants?
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

Ask the scientists. I guess their snout is shorter with longer tusks. Head is thicker too.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

The sum of my contributions so far to this conworld thingie is this, the vowel chart to Eltagri:
eltagrivowels.png
apologies for the big empty space there by the way.

Anyway, I will get onto the rest of it someday.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

I modified how does it look now?

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

Ok. How does this sound.

Water.

Water is collected from rain with large woven tarps. These tarps are made out of hemp like fibers. They are covered in the sap of the rubber tree. The tarps are suspended from multiple trees with rope. During the morning the women take jars up to the tarp and scoop out water.

The house.

The house is a circuler structure built on a square platform made of wood. These platforms are lashed to trees and held up with poles that sit in the nobs of the tree. Because of the large size of the trees three huts can be on one tree.

Cooking is done on the platform out side. The food is cooked in ceramic shells. A bed of coals is lade down in the shell and then a plate is set down on top. they then rap the food in wet leaves and let it sit and cook.

Vegetables.

In swampy areas wild rice could be harvested. I believe America had forms of wild rice correct me if I'm wrong.

I could make separate platforms that the village built and use them to grow small crops. On these platforms boiled feces would be placed. Clay or rubber could be used to water proof. Peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, bean, squash, and corn could be grown.

It has been found that people put a small tarp over peppers to shield them from water. It is said to make them more spicy. In the future it will be theorized that this was brought by a rare drought and the peppers were spicier. So they thought the lack of water did this.

Most food is grown year round. It has been found that when switching platforms every once in a while helps the plants grow faster and stronger.

Hunting.
Most men hunt. They kill small animals. Deer are also a common prey. Birds are on the menu for most evenings.

Gathering.
Men often fell trees. The women then follow pound the insides with rocks. Then they leave. A few months later It has either fermented and become soggy. They will cook it and then eat it. Or hundreds of thousands of grubs have invaded and become fat. These grubs will be put in jars and taken home. At home they are either salted or cooked. They to are eaten.

So this what I have the grammar sketch is coming though it might be a week before presentable

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

They live in villages that are high up in the trees. Each family has a tree. Each family is divided into micro family groups of mother, father and children. There are usually 21 macro family groups in a village. Each group has their elected leader that then goes to the village council.

2. They have trees, fruit, rare metals in riverbeds and the process of development cereal crops.

3. Regional plants and animals are very similar to Amazon.

4. Weapons that these people possess are bows and arrows, spears, shields, and crude swords

6. Proto-conreligion: All oak trees are considered sacred. Every village has an oak tree planted in the center and surrounding trees are cut away to allow light to the tree.

7. Figure out what make your people think something is
a. beautiful
Beauty to these people is the fog as it roles in close to the ground. They often watch this from the tops of trees and it is considered a religious experience. It happens almost weekly if not daily and find it the best time for hunting. They also watch the sunset and rise. All of these should be viewed from the top of a tree.

b. funny
The people have a large sense of humor and few things like insults will ever hurt them, even if they are being made fun of. People often know what is wrong with them so they don’t care and laugh.

c. scary
They are scared of open places near covered areas. They prefer to be the ones hiding if possible. If no hiding places are around like open Savannah they are fine. They also fear for the death of others but are willing to die for someone they are related to. But if someone has done something wrong they are willing to punish to the highest acceptable form. They also fear the ground. They find that if trees go up birds go up and most things good rise, the ground must be bad. So they try to keep something between them and the ground. Generally pieces of bark strapped to feet. But off the ground they take off the crude sandals and jump tree to tree.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

Treskro might I ask why do your people fear the forest?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Ashroot wrote:6. Proto-conreligion: All oak trees are considered sacred. Every village has an oak tree planted in the center and surrounding trees are cut away to allow light to the tree.
Don't your people live in a jungle? Jungles don't have oak trees, do they?

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

It was brought in as they migrated down. Finding the oak mighty but tranquil they took a few saplings and brought them with them. When they got to the rain forest It was found they fight off the Sukrit re-affirming their belief in its divinity.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I don't think that's the point. I'm not an expert on trees, but I'm pretty sure that oaks would have a hard time growing in a rainforest.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

There is also the possibility of this being a warm climate variety. Also Oak is part of my last name and I was imbuing a piece of me into the culture sorry.

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Ashroot wrote:It was brought in as they migrated down. Finding the oak mighty but tranquil they took a few saplings and brought them with them. When they got to the rain forest It was found they fight off the Sukrit re-affirming their belief in its divinity.
You know that migration across continents takes thousands of years right? It's not like there are any oaks in nearby regions either.
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

This could be more likeky. They worship the cocao tree and make cocoa the national food.

I was also thinking that maybe a few islands to the south alnog the coast could have sugarcane. Eventually they branch off from main society and when contact is remade something intresting could go down. Like a fgght for resources or a trade treaty for an exchange of sugar for cocoa. I was thinking cuba size.

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

So guys..
axhiuk.

看蝦米