Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting New)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Anyone want to Start on a Mass Project?

Post by Lukas Kelly »

My people are tan skinned, amber eyed, and have tall wiry builds with fast-twitch muscle. They have a flat nose, long limbs, and straight thin hair that goes down to the bottom of the neck, giving shade. They aren't overly strong, but are very fast and have flexible hips(from running from predators, and stalking prey, respectively). On top of that, they are currently nomadic hunter gatherers in this age. Any time they stop they do so under portable canopies made of poles and hide.

Also, make sure that the words you come up with makes sense. You need words that describe their daily life. Actions, places, things, descriptions. If they live up in barren mountains, they probably won't have a word for coral pink.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

For my people, there doesn't seem to be any particular adaptations mentioned in the link that Lukas Kelly provided, probably because it's more of an in between area, not too hot, not too cold. So instead, I'll just pick something that would likely make sense for the general area: tan to moderately light skin, lighter brownish to black hair, no variants of red at all, and hazel, brown, or dark brown eyes, also mostly Asian in appearance for anything otherwise unmentioned.

On a side not, I also prefer annihilation over genocide... hopefully everyone doesn't get killed off right away when time starts moving...
planet-latitude.png
planet-latitude.png (21.98 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
And now with lines of latitude! Along with the polar circles (blue) and the Tropics of Cancer/Capricorn (yellow) Axial tilt is about 25°.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Am I too late to join in? If not, I'd like either the sticky-down bit of land in the very top left corner, or the North-East coastline on the top right island.

EDIT: I like mostly that eastern bit, but whatever's free. :D

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Nope, we're still open.

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Top right island? There is no such island; there is a continent.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current locations of everyone that I know of. Circles are approximate, and hopefully I didn't forget anyone.
Attachments
planet_loc.png
planet_loc.png (57.31 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Yay. :) And Rickard, shh, otherwise I will come across the continent and čhiktéla.

EDIT: @Ebba Leaci: Would it be too much trouble to ask for a version of the base map centred on what are currently the left and right edges? That way it'll be easier for me to zoom in and see what's going on in my area without having to switch sides constantly.

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Astraios wrote:Yay. :) And Rickard, shh, otherwise I will come across the continent and čhiktéla.
Not unless čhikásote first!
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Honestly I'm not happy with the way things are going. I'd prefer a smaller project of 3 or 4 people with things a bit more thought out and detailed. And besides, I'm not ready to start until January, so count me out.

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Too bad.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

At this rate I'll never be able to start describing my people. :P

Anyway, here's the map centered on the edges.
planet_alt_clim.png
planet_alt_clim.png (21.47 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
I don't see any reason why this can't be detailed, all we need to do is once all the basics are settled, spend time fleshing out each of our peoples, and gradually expand from there as civilizations rise, meet and fall, possibly doing a basic overview of part of the timeline at first, then going back and adding to it once the main details have been agreed upon if it involved more than one persons' civilization.

Edit: It also probably would be good if everyone saved a copy of one of the base maps (the base climate map is on page 4, and the original grayscale elevation map is on page 2) onto their own computer, so you can easily zoom in or look around without having to search though the thread all the time. From there you can create more detailed zoomed in maps of your own regions if you want. (the grayscale can help for determining general river paths)
Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

:o You'd mayákasote? But I only čhiktéla!

Ebba Leaci, I love you. :D

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Astraios wrote::o You'd mayákasote? But I only čhiktéla!
Yeah, yeah. Life is unfair, yada, yada, yada.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Uŋzóȟloka waŋ niyéš. :P

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Basic info of the Caron:

They have a hunter-gatherer society with mostly fixed settlements. Their main diet consists of fish or other seafood, various various small game as well as the occasional deer or elk, vegetable food includes raspberries, blueberries and huckleberries.

Most structures are wooden buildings built like the plankhouses of the Pacific NW Native Americans, but have a general resemblance to longhouses; these houses are called carmuedef. The interior of a muedef is separated into rooms by wooden screens, and the people sleep on mats on raised platforms. Each village usually only has one muedef that everyone lives in, though may have several other smaller structures for various purposes. The buildings are primarily held together by gravity.

There really isn't any actual leader in the villages due to the small size of the villages, however there is a person known as the daoqon, who pretty much is a shaman. The daoqon is usually, though not always, one of the older people in the village, and they communicate with the cardaocu (spirits) through the use of fire and dancing. The cardaocu exist everywhere, and they include both spirits of nature, carrandaocu, and the spirits of dead ancestors, or carrundaocu. It is believed that keeping the cardaocu pleased will result in them helping the people to have an easier life, while the opposite would cause the cardaocu go out of their way to cause problems.

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

Despite Ebba's first map (which seems the much more likely to me overall), I find it kind of hard believe that people would cross over the desert once evolving when there's a more temperate route that they could cross over instead. It also saves me the trouble of having to think of superfamilies with other players (diachronics is not my thing). In any event, I've started to imagine my people as if they came up the eastern coast and then went west between the mountains.

(I think I've reflected how much of a middle area mine is with the amount of variation. I've also included a bit of bias.)

These people have skin colors from lightskin black in the south to a more Mediterranean tan in the north, darker hair colors, which sometimes grow curly, any range of eye colors, with lighter ones more common in the north. Overall, there aren't epicanthic folds, but they can occasionally found in the southeast closer to the desert.

They are hunter-gatherers and live in structures built of pine wood, each holding one family. Much of the diet consists of seafood, but with a large variety of fruits.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Submitted for your approval: four major river systems, along with a few according climactic changes

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

Have the elevations changed much since the grayscale? Else the mountain on the northeastern continent is driving going from source to mountain to sea. Looks fine otherwise to me

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Astraios wrote:Uŋzóȟloka waŋ niyéš. :P
What does "Uŋzóȟloka" mean?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

Yea, i'd suggest having them flow from mountains. Also, I'll get a to-do list for the week up by tonight.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

The grayscale is the same as before... (and on page 2)... it's probably best to draw rivers on there to start with, remember to have them flow from light to dark, not the other way around. Then transfer them onto the other map. And rivers don't change the overall climate of a region, they would only have local effects.

Edit: And the migration map is very general, so don't take each arrow as an exact path that people took.

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

How do you know this much? :o
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

I guess if we're going to have a civilization develop, we should have a flood plain area somewhere, preferably in the warmer regions. The best places I see are Azdusha and Ebba Leaci, but since they appear to both be doing hunter gatherers, may I ask of the committee that I be allowed to extend the river on the eastern peninsula of the second continent further into my territory?

EDIT: Sorry ^^". People are telling me to look at the grayscale map, so I will.

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

I'm planning to develop them into agriculturalists, just thought we were starting at that 'Proto-world' stage, get to see the start of agriculture and all that

EDIT: Haven't checked the heights, but if it works, extend away

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

I lowered the elevation on the isthmus east of Azdusha's area so that a river could flow through. The changes are right up against the edge, and I thought it could be a neat little canyon area :D