Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting New)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
KwirElph
Niš
Niš

Re: Yucopia Project (Massive, Collaborative, and Recruiting

Post by KwirElph »

The shaman is the people's link between this world and the spirit world, it's too early for priests being the neolithic and all. Most primitive cultures on earth seem to still have shamans and the like.

What have other people gone for in terms of religion at this stage? And Treskro, what do you mean by formatting?

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

By formatting I mean separating the text into sections with headings and things like that.

I wouldn't exactly say that priests are too early, as it's really just a matter of terminology.
axhiuk.

看蝦米

KwirElph
Niš
Niš

Post by KwirElph »

So what would you say is the difference between shamans and priests?

Ċeaddawīc
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ċeaddawīc »

I haven't been here for a while, and I decided it would still be fun to participate, so here's my question: where is everybody in their civilizations/cultures/languages? What do I need to do? I figured it would be easier to ask than to try and find out myself, since I would get a better explanation.

Thanks!
[ˈwiɹʷˤb̚.mɪn]

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Mostly fleshing out the starting civilizations, it seems, while planning on what to do for the first jump.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

The Garo alphabet, a modification of the Vdangku abjad. It was modified both for the non Vdangku sounds as well as differences in writing materials.
The Garo at first used brushes on Palm leaves but then moved to brushes on paper.
Attachments
Garo alphabet.jpg
Garo alphabet.jpg (67.98 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Cool! Any samples?
axhiuk.

看蝦米

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

treskro wrote:Cool! Any samples?
Ask and you shall receive. ;D

The top is standard Vdangku style, top to bottom, left to right, as written throughout the northeast, the bottom is common throughout the west & south.
Attachments
Sample Text.jpg
Sample Text.jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Salut toute le monde! Im in france, freezing my ass off, but having fun... I havent been able to post but just dropping by to say heya and to let you know Im still alive... so don't go invading Chalmea or something just yet... they're going through a very culturally stagnant period right now xD

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

So some work on the marriage system. Excuse my bluntness.

The marriage is made up of couples always male and female though married couples often join into a group marriage of close friends.A man claims a woman's vagina and a woman claims a man's sperm. And by that I mean that no man can directly enter her (except the claimer) through the vagina. Though a man can pleasure her with anything else and/or anywhere else. No woman, after a man has been claimed, can take their sperm into their vagina. This is to ensure the right woman get's the right man's children. Though it is common for a group marriage not to have claims and have the children be the group's and not a couple's. Get it? Though other forms of sex don't matter as long as it is in that marriage group. Gay straight or lesbian don't exist. All forms are accepted and embraced. Marrying age for men is 16+; a female often waits till she is 21+ for health reasons. All children are (sometimes/always) raised by the group. All women are expected when they come of age to maintain lactation. This is for children. Though it is also a symbol of love for a female to share her milk with adults of the marriage group after the children no longer need milk from the mother. A man is expected to bring home food and maintain the house, fire and tree.

A marriage of this system can last for centuries there are 30 that had crossed centuries most being related to guilds. The largest groups arise in the future and hold as many as 382 members.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

An invented fruit have a look and see if I may have it.
Fruit.JPG
Fruit.JPG (35.53 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
This fruit is called a /sukɹɪt/ or /good bad/. It is a healthy staple of life though it is also feared because of its poisonous roots. It comes in three varieties vine, tree and bush. It is also considered highly invasive because of its root systems and its dispersion. The only animal able to eat the roots is a type of mole and it keeps it from spreading.

The roots spread fast and deep. About ten feet from the mother plant the roots surface and start another plant and so on similar to spruce trees. The fruit is sweet and nutritious making it like the siren of the plant world. It has several colors making it attractive to different animals and birds.

The fruit forms in a specific way that I was hoping was unique but believable please tell me if it is or not. When the flower petals form it releases strong scents into the air to attract the animals that eat nectar. After the spores have been transferred from another sukɹɪt onto the receivers in the petals seeds start to form. The petals then gorge and round out developing a tough skin and fruit forms within. A different petal color appeals to different animals. After the petals can grow no more they are picked or eaten by humans and animals. The seeds are then swallowed and the waxy shell that covers them slowly dissolves. It is then excreted and is able to germinate after being carries far enough.

Because of the nature of the plants and the way they spread human communities that have the plant; households have a ceramic jar to contain feces outside the front door. These jars are then filled with water and boiled. After being boiled the contents are dried and through into a community fire. They often harvest the fruit but try to keep the plant away from the village because of the animals and insects they attract.

This plant’s petals (before fruiting) are also harvested and used in tea. This tea makes green tea look like soda, while the fruit makes pomegranates look like a Mc Donald’s burger.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Started a history of the Chäng. I apologize to the Ibabawans: the Tll-Ikish have been receiving the majority of my attention, and it's quite possible that I will have to hand the responsibility of the Chäng off to one of you.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Ashroot wrote:So some work on the marriage system. Excuse my bluntness.

The marriage is made up of couples always male and female though married couples often join into a group marriage of close friends.A man claims a woman's vagina and a woman claims a man's sperm. And by that I mean that no man can directly enter her (except the claimer) through the vagina. Though a man can pleasure her with anything else and/or anywhere else. No woman, after a man has been claimed, can take their sperm into their vagina. This is to ensure the right woman get's the right man's children. Though it is common for a group marriage not to have claims and have the children be the group's and not a couple's. Get it? Though other forms of sex don't matter as long as it is in that marriage group. Gay straight or lesbian don't exist. All forms are accepted and embraced. Marrying age for men is 16+; a female often waits till she is 21+ for health reasons. All children are (sometimes/always) raised by the group. All women are expected when they come of age to maintain lactation. This is for children. Though it is also a symbol of love for a female to share her milk with adults of the marriage group after the children no longer need milk from the mother. A man is expected to bring home food and maintain the house, fire and tree.

A marriage of this system can last for centuries there are 30 that had crossed centuries most being related to guilds. The largest groups arise in the future and hold as many as 382 members.
So group marriages make up something like clans? how do they regulate inheritance, legacy, and the care of children? you say kids are raised by the group: but who exactly within the group?

Tropylium⁺
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tropylium⁺ »

Sorry if your tectonics are still hanging — ran out of free time rapidly, and the project I was planning on incorporating here has been stashed in the freezer…

Consider this my official sign-out for now :(
Not actually new.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

Some more I might be restating stuff forgive me.

It will be important. Also this may grab your attention the leaves not petals are mind altering when made into tea. It will be incorporated into religious ceremonies well into the future. Mostly on honey moons with the group. Bow chicka bow bow.

The stem on the shrub and vine varieties are hemp like and can be used for much of the same things.

The leaves effect the nervous system and make it ten times more reactive. This means every sense is enhanced. Though this means both pleasure and pain. The leaves cause an addiction to not more leaves but more fruit. The fruit holds seeds which are then able to germinate once excreted. But the fruit causes an addiction to the leaves. A vicious cycle.

Now this addiction is only activated after tasting both so a child can eat the fruit with no addiction but the adults who are allowed to eat both are addicted. Though if you eat the leaves and no fruit you are done for.

This stimulant puts coffee to shame. Warriors are powerful and ten times as quick mentally and in reaction. Hunting parties are usually successful.

It is used in coming of age ceremonies which are closely followed with marriage. Though love is important it is also an option. If two people do not agree to marry by the coming of age it is then an elder's choice. Group marriage happens after a couple has formed. Then they either keep or release there claim over each other. A single person is allowed to join a group. Though it is rare it usually takes couples.

Later I will edit this so it makes more sense.

My unnamed people have plumbing. They have large sheets of cloth made out of a hemp equivalent that are covered in natural latex. They rope them in between three or more trees. They have a hole in the latex but not the cloth made so that water can pass through but decree may not. A latex covered cloth is placed over the hole to close it off when not in use. Now as it rains water levels rise. This being the rain forest overflow is an issue. A system of bamboo, clay, cloth and latex get water to different houses in the trees. Above every house are two large pottery containers. One has cold water the other is specially designed to keep a fire away from trees and flammable materials.

The water goes to two places both are close together. A wash room and the kitchen. The wash room has a bath/shower that give warm baths and so on, it has a waste removal device that is just a bucket with a chute under it, and a wash basin with hot and cold water.

The kitchen has a wash basin and a cold containment unit (refrigerator.) The wash basin is like old western sinks with two spouts and a different temperature come out of each. The refrigerator is made by raping bamboo with clay. The clay is then fired and ashes come out of the tubes. The clay tubes are then linked close together and covered in more clay until a slab is made with two holes; one on top one on the bottom. That slab is then fired. After that it is placed close to the tree in the house for support and cold water is run through the small pipes inside. Water is let through once a day for a short while and the clay is then cooled and keeps the rest of a wooden chest cold. This keeps perishables like eggs, fruits, vegetables and fresh meat fresh for longer.

Logistics.

There is a network offices in the country. Each town is assigned an office. Each office is connected to another office in some way. Now each office shares livestock with another. The animal goes on the same route every trip back and forth. Food is on the other end of the line. the animal carries letters, packages, and official messages of the state. A pigeon is used for express delivery of small packages. the packages are often exchanged several times before finally reaching their destination. This process takes from as little as two days to a week (depends on package size).

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

http://yucop.wikia.com/wiki/Council_of_B%C3%A5zda
Playing around with the language that the region will become in the future, and I find it amusing that this will eventually turn into the "Council of Pasta".

@Ashroot
I think the fruit looks good. However, with something this good there will undoubtedly be some side effects. Maybe the increased physical ability makes muscles degenerate faster?

I'm not sure how the refrigeration works. I would think that it would be difficult to find really, really cold water near the equator, and even if you did, it probably wouldn't be cold enough for refrigeration purposes. If you want to preserve food, I could see some other process occurring, namely, using sea salt or perhaps another substance found in the rainforest as a preservative.
axhiuk.

看蝦米

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

btw, are you ever going to post anything?
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

Yeah I was thinking that the side effects would be prolonged sleep to say about twelve hours instead of eight. Also hunger will also be an issue. Though the true side effects come in withdraw. I was thinking closing of the urinary canal, bloody urine, high amounts of melatonin and serotonin, synaptic misfires, blindness and liver failure. That Evil enough?

What do you mean will I ever post?
Last edited by Ashroot on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Sounds good ;)

I mean, you post everything here, but the conworld is on the wiki so you should probably compile what you have there.
http://yucop.wikia.com/wiki/YUCOP_Wiki
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

treskro wrote:Sounds good ;)
Oh! the irony.
treskro wrote:I mean, you post everything here, but the conworld is on the wiki so you should probably compile what you have there.
http://yucop.wikia.com/wiki/YUCOP_Wiki
Oh. :| I've never posted on Wikipedia or its sister sites before.

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

You kind of have to :P. It really isn't that hard. Just follow the link and click the create a new article button at the top center of the page.

I can help you with the formatting if needed.
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

First I need a name for them. heh. Their language is Ashroot. That is it.

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Perhaps you could translate "Ashroot" into the language? Or does Ashroot already mean something?
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

The loyalists originally, but who are they loyal to? Each other? It will develop into a kingdom. I could call them Ashrootmar similar to The Loyalist-ian

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »