zompist bboard
http://www.incatena.org/

Inyauk
http://www.incatena.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36815
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Ossicone [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Inyauk

HERE is the current revision of the Inyauk grammar.

Some of the information below may be outdated now, but I will keep it here for consistency.
--------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!

This is my first conlang - Inyauk /'iɲa͡uk/. I have been working on it for over a year now.
I'm not sure if I have any direct goals for Inyauk. I feel it's pretty well rounded now, but I could be very biased. However, any questions, comments or criticisms are appreciated.

Inyauk Grammar:
HERE is the link to the written grammar. It's longish and should have something to interest everyone. I recommend downloading the file so the font doesn't look fucked.

Things that I know are missing:
Relative clauses
Better descriptions for a lot of affixes.

Sample Text:
Yarbáhuat rúnbakuuwair inárkulitsuuniuhan ir nahi-írnaknaximuaya rúnyalana inárkulnainkilax. Nínalasaanaakikiya xúnana ikúnaratxaya nu-ágautbanarkul. Nahí-inanatsinaraahi maránxarana. Nír físana yarxánigat músuuninat, kilmúsuunim i-úlutaf kilmúsuunim isányaaf.I-ínyakim ir rúnyalak kúnaratx ní-aya ah áfaunana inísimax, Mínitiisla Káraimuna Pílatituna Íkirak. Tásur sidiralak itsínaraaya ah ním bírisinaafaaralak ir txím xinu-ápatiirana ágautikat ah. Ip txím mírsualak imúsuuninahi. Pítakax nu-ínyaukim álatabana ní-aya lá-usuunahi wa lásaantunahi. Kínyukusi ním kúnaratxalam iʦínaraaja la apalak inísinikat.

It is not news to many of the Imperial City's inhabitants, that a strange device has been seen all over the city.
Yarbáhuat rúnbakuuwair inárkulitsuuniuxan ir nahi-írnaknaximuaya rúnyalana inárkulnainkilax ah.
Code:
jar-báxu-at  rún-ba-kú<u>wa-ir           i-nárkuliʦuuni-uxan  ir
NO-news-PSD  many-PSS-inhabitant<pl>-PSR DEF-city.gods-ORG    <RC

nax-fírnak-na-ʃímsu-aja     rúɲ-al-ana   i-nárkul-na-ínkil-aʃ   ax
IDF-device-ADJ-strange-OBJ  see-PST-CNT  DEF-city-ADJ-whole-IN  RC>

It is both quick and nimble, carrying it's rider to all corners of the city.
Nínalasaanaakikiya xúnana ikúnaratxaya nu-ágautbanarkul.
Code:
ní-na-lasaan-na-kikija        ʃún-ana    i-kúnaraʧ-aja
3sg-ADJ-quick-ADJ-nimble-AGT  carry-CNT  DEF-ride-OBJ

nu-ága<u>t-ba-narkul
ALL-part<pl>-PSS-city

It can only be described as a kind of mechanical horse.
Nahí-inanatsinaraahi maránxarana.
Code:
nax-íina-na-ʦinara-axi     mar-ánʃar-ana
IDF-horse-ADJ-machine-RST  ABL-decribe-CNT

Instead of legs it has two wheels, one on the front and on the back.
Nír físana jarxánigat músuuninat, kilmúsuunim i-úlutaf kilmúsuunim isányaaf.
Code:
ní-ir    físana    jar-xá<ni>g-at  músuu<ni>n-at
3sg-PSR  have-CNT  NO-leg<dl>-PSD  wheel<dl>-PSD,

kil-músuun-im  i-úlut-af    kil-músuun-im  i-sáɲa-af
one-wheel-AGT  DEF-head-ON  one-wheel-AGT  DEF-tail-ON

The person seen riding it is an attendee of the Academy, Mínitiisla Káraimuna Pílatituna Íkirak.
I-ínyakim ir rúnyalak kúnaratx ní-aya ax áfaunana inísimax, Mínitiisla Káraimuna Pílatituna Íkirak.
Code:
i-íɲak-im       ir   rúɲ-al-ak    kúnaraʧ  ní-aja   ax   áfaun-ana
DEF-person-AGT  <RC  see-PST-END  ride     3sg-OBJ  RC>  study-CNT

i-nísim-aʃ      Mínitiisla  Káraimuna   Pílatituna   Íkirak.
DEF-academy-IN, Mínitiisla  Kára-imuna  Pílat-ituna  Íkir-ak.

When asked about the device, he simply said “I wanted to go places faster.
Tásur sidiralak itsínaraaya ax ním bírisinaafaaralak ir txím xinu-ápatiirana ágautikat ah.
Code:
tásur  sídir-al-ak  i-ʦínara-aja     ax   ní-im
<when  ask-PST-END  DEF-machine-OBJ  RC>  3sg-AGT

bírisi-na-afaar-al-ak   ir  ʧí-im    ʃinu-ápat-pir-ana   ága<u>t-ikat
say-ADJ-simple-PST-END  <RC 1sg-AGT  WNT-go-RPD-CNT      part<pl>-DST

So I invented the 'two-wheel.'
Ip txím mírsualak imúsuuninahi.
Code:
ip  ʧí-im    mírsu-al-ak     i-músuu<ni>n-axi
so  1sg-AGT  invent-PST-END  DEF-wheel<dl>-RST

One day everyone will use it to go farther and faster.
Pítakax nu-ínyaukim álatabana ní-aja lá-usuunahi la lásaantunahi.
Code:
pítak-aʃ   nu-íɲa<u>k-im       álaʧ-ab-ana  ní-aja 
future-IN  ALL-person<pl>-AGT  use-FUT-CNT  3sg-OBJ

láus-tun-axi  la   lásaan-tun-axi
far-CMP-RST   and  faster-CMP-RST

After that he jumped back onto the device and sped off toward the Academy center.
Kínyukusi ním kúnaratxalam iʦínaraaja la apalak inísinikat.
Code:
kíɲuk-usi   ní-im    kúnaraʧ-al-am  i-ʦínara-aja     la
moment-AFT  3sg-AGT  ride-PST-SRT   DEF-machine-OBJ  and

ap-al-ak    i-nísim-ikat
go-PST-END  DEF-academy-DST


Map of Inyauk Territory: There are 5 regions -- Ántsar, Tsínir, Pínyar, Átxakar and Úrukar. The other areas are: iwásan (the plains), i-úsanuug (the mountains), ifálumtsulasi (the dark forest) and isálak (the ocean). You can also see the Inyauk script.

Image

I hope all of that made some kind of sense. :roll:

Author:  finlay [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

looks cool; your map has a good clean style to it.

seeing as your vowel letters are all to the right of the line, why don't you just combine them with the consonant letters and have them as a kind of diacritic? (like Arabic, Devanagari, etc) It'd save space, for one, but also it's exceedingly rare to have a 1-1 correspondance between different scripts, and alphabets are rather a minority among the world's languages... Looks like Mongolian, anyway, not bad.

As for the document, there's nothing incredibly unusual about most of the language stuff, but I'm not very good at sifting through it. Your final page with the notes on the culture does sound a bit idealised, though, especially with regards to gender and stuff...

also phonology nitpick: [wi] and [u̯i] aren't as distinct phonetically as you seem to think, and personally i'd still maybe call [wi] and [ja] diphthongs, although maybe rising rather than falling or whatever the terminology is. but whatever, really, this is basically up to you, and your way does work.

also also pickles and tea
Image
Image

Author:  rickardspaghetti [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Hejsan, Ossicone. Det verkar som du äntligen har bestämt dig för att gå med i ZBB. Ceresz blir nog överlycklig.

Author:  Ossicone [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

finlay wrote:
looks cool; your map has a good clean style to it.

seeing as your vowel letters are all to the right of the line, why don't you just combine them with the consonant letters and have them as a kind of diacritic? (like Arabic, Devanagari, etc) It'd save space, for one, but also it's exceedingly rare to have a 1-1 correspondance between different scripts, and alphabets are rather a minority among the world's languages... Looks like Mongolian, anyway, not bad.

Thanks.

Heh, I thought about that but I guess I like it the way it is with the vowels separate.

Quote:
As for the document, there's nothing incredibly unusual about most of the language stuff, but I'm not very good at sifting through it. Your final page with the notes on the culture does sound a bit idealised, though, especially with regards to gender and stuff...

also phonology nitpick: [wi] and [u̯i] aren't as distinct phonetically as you seem to think, and personally i'd still maybe call [wi] and [ja] diphthongs, although maybe rising rather than falling or whatever the terminology is. but whatever, really, this is basically up to you, and your way does work.


Yeah, my fake people can be a bit idealized. :D
But hey, I like them.

As far as I'm concerned, their similarity/lack of distinction is what makes it a reasonable result. Of course, plenty of crazy things happen to natlangs too.

rickardspaghetti wrote:
Hejsan, Ossicone. Det verkar som du äntligen har bestämt dig för att gå med i ZBB. Ceresz blir nog överlycklig.

I've been watching silently for a while. :)
Does that mean I make a thread here dedicated to 'svenska och horor' too?

EDIT: Weird smileys... O_o

Author:  Acid Badger [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

I just saw this thread and thought "Another thread for Inyauk?!" but then I realized this was not the CBB.

Welcome Ossicone! I'm Avo on the CBB, if you remember. :)

Author:  rickardspaghetti [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Ossicone wrote:
rickardspaghetti wrote:
Hejsan, Ossicone. Det verkar som du äntligen har bestämt dig för att gå med i ZBB. Ceresz blir nog överlycklig.

I've been watching silently for a while. :)
Does that mean I make a thread here dedicated to 'svenska och horor' too?

Maybe, but there is a thread for practicing fluency in foreign languages. [Link] I go there to practice Lakota. You can practice your Swedish there if you want. If you want to practice Inyauk, there is a thread for that too. [Link]

Author:  Ossicone [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Fanu wrote:
I just saw this thread and thought "Another thread for Inyauk?!" but then I realized this was not the CBB.
Welcome Ossicone! I'm Avo on the CBB, if you remember. :)

You can never escape Inyauk!

Hello, and I do remember.

rickardspaghetti wrote:
Maybe, but there is a thread for practicing fluency in foreign languages. [Link] I go there to practice Lakota. You can practice your Swedish there if you want. If you want to practice Inyauk, there is a thread for that too. [Link]

I will try and be a serious conlanger here for as long as possible. (I'd estimate one day.)

Author:  Simmalti [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

The script is VERY nice, though as has been suggested, I think it would look cooler if the vowels were written as diacritics. (Regardless though, it's awesome!)

Author:  Cockroach [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Welcome to the ZBB Ossicone. I'm afraid we don't really have a "watering hole" like at the CBB though

Also, ! at the script

Author:  Ossicone [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Simmalti wrote:
The script is VERY nice, though as has been suggested, I think it would look cooler if the vowels were written as diacritics. (Regardless though, it's awesome!)

Tack!

Cockroach wrote:
Welcome to the ZBB Ossicone. I'm afraid we don't really have a "watering hole" like at the CBB though
Also, ! at the script

Thanks.
I didn't tell you there was a script? :roll:

Author:  Bristel [ Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Welcome to the ZBB!

Author:  *Ceresz [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Välkommen :-D.

See, I still retain the Haddock avatar here?

Author:  Ossicone [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

@Bristel: Thanks.

@Cereal: I missed Haddock! He embodies all of your virtues: drinking, smoking and pirating. And beard.

Author:  Adrianovaz2007 [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Even with just three vowels and lenght distinction the conlang looks awesome (I'm a man of many vowels)! Oh, the map and script: Great! :D
P.S.: Welcome to ZBB and have fun conlanging!

Author:  Ossicone [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Adrianovaz2007 wrote:
Even with just three vowels and lenght distinction the conlang looks awesome (I'm a man of many vowels)! Oh, the map and script: Great! :D
P.S.: Welcome to ZBB and have fun conlanging!

Thanks and thanks. :)
It was kinda hard for me to stick to three vowels at first but I'm glad I did.

Author:  jmcd [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

I'll probably the grammar on Friday or so. In the meantime, welcome to the zbb! Out of food though. :(

Author:  Serali [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

I want to see the pretty scripty! I LOVE it!

Image

Author:  Bristel [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

I forgot to add my alternative welcoming snack of zucchini and cocoa!

Would love to see more examples of Inyauk.

Author:  Ossicone [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

jmcd wrote:
I'll probably the grammar on Friday or so. In the meantime, welcome to the zbb! Out of food though. :(

I'd very much appreciate any comments you have then. : )


Bristel wrote:
I forgot to add my alternative welcoming snack of zucchini and cocoa!

Would love to see more examples of Inyauk.

Thanks. And what kind of examples? Translations?

Moar script:
Image

And for kicks:
Image

Author:  Serali [ Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Preeeeeeeeety! *.*

What's the last one though? And alternative style? And what's it say? :mrgreen:

Image

Author:  Simmalti [ Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

The vertical script is awesome! I prefer it over the horizontal lines because of the pretty joining lines

Author:  Ossicone [ Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Serali wrote:
What's the last one though? And alternative style? And what's it say? :mrgreen:

Actually it doesn't say anything anymore! That's old pre-revision Inyauk. I'm just too lazy to redo it.

The last one is a different script. But you'll have to wait for that one. : P

Simmalti wrote:
The vertical script is awesome! I prefer it over the horizontal lines because of the pretty joining lines

Tack! :D

Author:  Bristel [ Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

If you want some examples for translation, I could find some interesting sentences. (since I asked for examples)

Author:  Ossicone [ Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

I have plenty translated, but if you're looking for something specific I'd be happy to do some translations you give me.

But for now I'll give you these sentences. I really enjoyed doing these translations at the time.

Code:
I can't stop thinking about that girl.
ʧím jaθúrak apjaʦíbimaf
ʧí-im    ja-θúr-ak      apja-ʦíb-im-af
1sg-AGT  NEG-think-END  DST-youth-FEM-ON

Painting the castle took about fifty days.
ifátirnadiukaaxi ifíʔulatatia naxápiulnaθaaluʧat
i-fátir-na-díuka-axi   i-fíul-atat-ia        nax-ápi<u>l-na-θáal-uʧat
DEF-act-ADJ-paint-RST  DEF-building-AUG-BEN  IDF-day<pl>-ADJ-50-DUR

I was about to take a bite of my sandwich.
ʧím xáʧalam iʧmúlataja
ʧí-im    xáʧ-al-am     iʧ-múlat-aja
1sg-AGT  bite-PST-SRT  1sgP-food-OBJ

The boys/lads were running about town.
iʦíʔubutim ʧákalana nuránʧabaʃ
i-ʦí<u>b-ut-im         ʧák-al-ana   nu-ránʧab-aʃ
DEF-youth<pl>-MSC-AGT  run-PST-CNT  ALL-town-IN

Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.
θím jalúʃana iʔáʔuʃbaiiɲaukur; θím lúʃana ifátiurabanifinur.
θí-im    ja-lúʃ-ana    i-áuʃ-ba-i-iɲa<u>k-ur            θí-im    lúʃ-ana   i-fáti<u>ra-ba-nífin-ur
4sg-AGT  NEG-live-CNT  DEF-flow-PSS-DEF-person<pl>-MNS; 4sg-AGT  live-CNT  DEF-action<pl>-PSS-desire-MNS
'One doesn't live by the flow of society; one lives by the actions of desire'

I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth, but I'm not about to shoot a cop.
ʧír lúʔutaamúxiaana ir izóniaknalutiʦanaiɲaukim síʔaaxaf, tír ʧím táʔaram naxizóniakia
ʧí-ir    lúut-na-múxia-ana         ir   i-zóniak-na-lut-íʦa-na-iɲa<u>k-im       síaax-af,
1sg-PSR  believe-ADJ-possible-CNT  <RC  DEF-police-ADJ-SPR-evil-person<pl>-AGT  world-ON,

tír  ʧí-im    táar-am   nax-i-zóniak-ia.
but  1sg-AGT  kill-SRT  IDF-DEF-police-BEN.

Author:  *Ceresz [ Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Inyauk

Quote:
I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth, but I'm not about to shoot a cop.

Now there's a sentence that could come in handy :mrgreen:.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/