[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - I will Learn Your Conlang (Now: Inyauk Study Group)

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:24 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Well the good news is the Inyauk is really easy. :D

I'd say you could get the basic noun-ing in a day. Let's say a week to build proper vocab.
The verbs are more tricky so another week. If you're aiming for a conversational ability, I'd say 2-4 weeks.
At the end of which I'll give you all a test! But don't worry, it'll be a fun test. (My esl students always got a laugh from my tests.)

I think the Inyauk language is pretty reflective of their culture, so cultural lessons should go hand in hand with learning the lang.
The first lesson will including receiving/choosing an Inyauk name. :)

I kinda like the idea of lessons by chat. I'm frequently on the CBB irc channel but I heard the ZBB has one as well. But really any free chat will do. A thread might be nice for those in uncooperative timezones though.

As for role playing it sounds like fun but I know nothing about D&D so you'll have to fill me in.

Finally, I promise to get the grammar up later this evening. I personally prefer lessons but I know that's not the case for everyone. I am happy to talk about Inyauk all day, so please ask me questions.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:54 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

If any of you succeed in learning it, they should review it as well. It would be good to have some conlang-reviews from people who have actually looked at them in depth.

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

No doubt. I think that's one of the benefits of the whole thing.

So we've had some time to think about learning timing. How about July 1st as a soft deadline? I will open another thread which we can use to practice Inyauk sentences on each other while we're learning. I'm still looking for ideas about what we can do together once we've done our learning. Any thoughts?

(oh, and a link to Inyauk lessons have been added to the first post.)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Ha! Well dang. That's what I get for ill-timed travel plans.

For future reference (and because I worked on it over the trip and am now rarin' to do something with it) an updated Feayran reference grammar is (pdf). It isn't as long as it looks--I like whitespace, and a lot of sections are skeletal or blank. However, every item listed in the TOC is developed and stable (with the exception of Phonotactics, which I have an intuition for and some formal rules but not a thorough treatment yet)--it's just a matter of collecting documentation and examples from my notes and typing it up. The first part is mostly concultural, but the more meaty bits, sections 4 and 5, are also the most complete. My priority now is typing up section 9, particularly the parts that the other sections tend to reference most often.

Last edited by Trailsend on Tue May 03, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:06 am 
Lebom
Lebom

As promised is the latest revision of the Inyauk grammar. In my opinion, and I am highly biased, the grammar should be easy to pick up but the actual use is the tricky part. So have fun!

----

I'm totally going to have to look over that Feayran grammar when I get time.

Last edited by Ossicone on Tue May 03, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:54 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Unfortunately, I do most of my web time at work, and due to the nature of the facility I work in, personal/private storage sites are disallowed...so, I can't see the Inyauk materials.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:07 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:24 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:36 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ok, inyauk it is !

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:14 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:36 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:38 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

As requested I've now put a copy of my Inyauk on google docs.
If you want to use a word but can't find it in the lexicon then you can do one of two things. First, you can make a word for it and let me know so I can add it to the lexicon. As long as it agree's with the phonotactics, I'm happy to let you all make contributions. Or secondly, you can let me know and I'll make a word for it. Just remember that the Inyauk are preindustrial and will not have words for computer and stuff.

Also note that the Inyauk roots do not have an accent marking stress. This is because the stress is given when it is placed as the nucleus of a word. However, the pronunciations given are for the root in isolation where it would take stress. So the word for 'happy'
is aan. In isolation, it will take stress áan and be pronounced / 'aʔan / but when it's attached to another word it will not and be pronounced as / aːn /.

áan / 'aʔan / vs. nínaáan / 'ninaʔaːn / *
*Perhaps this is not a great example because here áan holds an accent to indicate how to break up the sequence of <a>'s.

Last edited by Ossicone on Fri May 06, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:05 pm 
Niš
Niš

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:53 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

@hadad: I'm not sure if there was ever an official vote. But I'm always happy to help anyone learn Inyauk. :D

For those interested, I've added two more lessons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5