I will Learn Your Conlang (Now: Inyauk Study Group)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Re: I will Learn Your Conlang (Now: Inyauk Study Group)

Post by Ossicone »

Well the good news is the Inyauk is really easy. :D

I'd say you could get the basic noun-ing in a day. Let's say a week to build proper vocab.
The verbs are more tricky so another week. If you're aiming for a conversational ability, I'd say 2-4 weeks.
At the end of which I'll give you all a test! But don't worry, it'll be a fun test. (My esl students always got a laugh from my tests.)

I think the Inyauk language is pretty reflective of their culture, so cultural lessons should go hand in hand with learning the lang.
The first lesson will including receiving/choosing an Inyauk name. :)

I kinda like the idea of lessons by chat. I'm frequently on the CBB irc channel but I heard the ZBB has one as well. But really any free chat will do. A thread might be nice for those in uncooperative timezones though.

As for role playing it sounds like fun but I know nothing about D&D so you'll have to fill me in.

Finally, I promise to get the grammar up later this evening. I personally prefer lessons but I know that's not the case for everyone. I am happy to talk about Inyauk all day, so please ask me questions.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

If any of you succeed in learning it, they should review it as well. It would be good to have some conlang-reviews from people who have actually looked at them in depth.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

No doubt. I think that's one of the benefits of the whole thing.

So we've had some time to think about learning timing. How about July 1st as a soft deadline? I will open another thread which we can use to practice Inyauk sentences on each other while we're learning. I'm still looking for ideas about what we can do together once we've done our learning. Any thoughts?

(oh, and a link to Inyauk lessons have been added to the first post.)
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

Ha! Well dang. That's what I get for ill-timed travel plans.

For future reference (and because I worked on it over the trip and am now rarin' to do something with it) an updated Feayran reference grammar is here (pdf). It isn't as long as it looks--I like whitespace, and a lot of sections are skeletal or blank. However, every item listed in the TOC is developed and stable (with the exception of Phonotactics, which I have an intuition for and some formal rules but not a thorough treatment yet)--it's just a matter of collecting documentation and examples from my notes and typing it up. The first part is mostly concultural, but the more meaty bits, sections 4 and 5, are also the most complete. My priority now is typing up section 9, particularly the parts that the other sections tend to reference most often.
Last edited by Trailsend on Tue May 03, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

As promised here is the latest revision of the Inyauk grammar. In my opinion, and I am highly biased, the grammar should be easy to pick up but the actual use is the tricky part. So have fun!

----

I'm totally going to have to look over that Feayran grammar when I get time.
Last edited by Ossicone on Tue May 03, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

Trailsend wrote:For future reference (and because I worked on it over the trip and am now rarin' to do something with it) an updated Feayran reference grammar is here (pdf)
I just glanced over this, but once I turn in my term papers and have some time again (i.e., early next week), I'll take a better look at this. You listed Oneida in your influences, and I'm a sucker for Iroquoian languages.
Kuku-kuku kaki kakak kakekku kaku kaku.
'the toenails of my grandfather's elder brother are stiff'

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Matt wrote:For future reference (and because I worked on it over the trip and am now rarin' to do something with it) an updated Feayran reference grammar is here (pdf)
What font(s) did you use for this?

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Unfortunately, I do most of my web time at work, and due to the nature of the facility I work in, personal/private storage sites are disallowed...so, I can't see the Inyauk materials.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

sano wrote:Unfortunately, I do most of my web time at work, and due to the nature of the facility I work in, personal/private storage sites are disallowed...so, I can't see the Inyauk materials.
Hmm... Sorry about that.

I can copy and paste the stuff into a PM but it'll lose the formatting.
Or do you have another solution?

------

Also updated link for those who can see the pdf's. PLEASE UPDATE TO THIS VERSION.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Ossicone wrote:I can copy and paste the stuff into a PM but it'll lose the formatting.
Or do you have another solution?
The best solution is email.

See PM.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Ok, inyauk it is !

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

roninbodhisattva wrote:What font(s) did you use for this?
Aw man, are they not working? I tried to embed them in the pdf, but I wasn't quite sure I was doing it right...

- The main text is Didot
- Major headings are Primitive
- Minor headings are in Optima Regular
- IPA transcriptions are in Times New Roman

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Trailsend wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:What font(s) did you use for this?
Aw man, are they not working? I tried to embed them in the pdf, but I wasn't quite sure I was doing it right...

- The main text is Didot
- Major headings are Primitive
- Minor headings are in Optima Regular
- IPA transcriptions are in Times New Roman
No, they were. I just liked the look of it.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

As requested I've now put a copy of my Inyauk lexicon on google docs.
If you want to use a word but can't find it in the lexicon then you can do one of two things. First, you can make a word for it and let me know so I can add it to the lexicon. As long as it agree's with the phonotactics, I'm happy to let you all make contributions. Or secondly, you can let me know and I'll make a word for it. Just remember that the Inyauk are preindustrial and will not have words for computer and stuff.

Also note that the Inyauk roots do not have an accent marking stress. This is because the stress is given when it is placed as the nucleus of a word. However, the pronunciations given are for the root in isolation where it would take stress. So the word for 'happy'
is aan. In isolation, it will take stress áan and be pronounced / 'aʔan / but when it's attached to another word it will not and be pronounced as / aːn /.

áan / 'aʔan / vs. nínaáan / 'ninaʔaːn / *
*Perhaps this is not a great example because here áan holds an accent to indicate how to break up the sequence of <a>'s.

Inyauk Lessons
Inyauk Grammar
Inyauk Lexicon
Last edited by Ossicone on Fri May 06, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hadad
Niš
Niš

Post by hadad »

Zoris wrote:If I may be allowed to coordinate a vote?

By Saturday, May the 7th, all people who wish to learn must state their intent, and all conlangs to be offered must be nominated by someone (creator or not). Then, there will be one week to discuss and vote. Voting will be simple: give each conlang a YES (I'd be okay learning that) or NO (no thanks). Whichever conlang has the most YES votes by Saturday, May the 14th, shall be chosen.

Unless there are objections, let it be so.
I want to actually learn one, that's my intent. I'd learn any, really. How and where are we to vote? I actually like this idea.

I just noticed its become Inyauk study group. So we're all doing Inyauk now?

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

@hadad: I'm not sure if there was ever an official vote. But I'm always happy to help anyone learn Inyauk. :D

For those interested, I've added two more lessons.
Inyauk Lessons Here.