Conlingual Telephone

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Conlingual Telephone

Post by finlay »

Done and sent. Finally. :roll:

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

Has this been forgotten about? I'm really curious to see the results...

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Let's keep bumping it.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Well, finlay, you said you sent it, so it should be at Zayk's. If he doesn't respond by tomorrow, I'll PM him.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Check the previous page – Zayk said he couldn't do it anymore so I've sent it to Zoris. Ask him.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

finlay wrote:Check the previous page – Zayk said he couldn't do it anymore so I've sent it to Zoris. Ask him.
Oh! I remembered something like that. Well, I'm PMing Zoris.
Přemysl wrote:
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

We're done now, so I'm going to post the text as far as I have it while we wait for Mr. Z to get everything on the wiki.
Original English wrote:The first waves of lava which fell in the lake immediately solidified and accumulated speedily. Upon their surface fell other waves, which in their turn became stone, but a step nearer the center of the lake. In this manner was formed a pier which threatened to gradually fill up the lake, which could not overflow, the water displaced by the lava being evaporated. The hissing of the water rent the air with a deafening sound, and the vapor, blown by the wind, fell in rain upon the sea. Where formerly stretched the calm waters of the lake now appeared an enormous mass of smoking rocks, as if an upheaving of the soil had formed immense shoals. Imagine the waters of the lake aroused by a hurricane, then suddenly solidified by an intense frost.
Zoris' Sęimaką wrote:Jalątę šąuos dumiotąms lotokeuo mienetis cąnatapėl eręiet kė agositępėl hąkąl. Ioke čonotąm letęti mienetis čotę ękto dumi, iąt uo šąuotę modruso hęut. Iu šąues bėkotąm faldęnotąm lėtafe bęček. Šąuąs ek sauniem ionosot, adek lotokąs sitatotem čiėmes haląs. Čiemątę bąmšąs kedšes aktapot, kė fėdekąs pluosem gęcedes olėdos eto dumi. Ąduloti čiėmetis kęiotom o, košo ioketęti tėiše gątąm kosotėl estre bulatot, šiu kosotėlti ęitseti bęčekotdi iu makid uibsatem. Šąuetęs čiėmetis e tripol lidėcotem holdahątso, kė fišięk tonel cąnatapėl eręiet.
Finlay's Sentalian wrote:Tocpul, vàltà dyyjuf càfpòkip hèmèz tàn mòètzy. Dwaaz deevy t'e, xè tjoo hèmiz duycgy. Càfpòkib liitoàix gilòex gènètgy nè kix wèètugy, nè hèmib gwimmèuz dò apuè dyynuggy. Hòòcjuf làc diimòmix fèt dmòònfàà snees talap, xòŋahep kix bòkkixò dliimol èigifag maa ceeklt'e. Càfpokix hèmix silnet'e cemez, smàu musix k'aalot'e, nè bòeŋt'e nè jààl t'e. Hèmix liccaŋnugt'e. Musix k'aalozy cemez, kix mèuz yshit'e, nè gamup yshio zuyt'e zeenyz huuex klootuciz nu sneest'e.
Final English (Zoris) wrote:In the beginning, soft turning lava flowed towards a lake. It gradually began to harden, but soon reached to the lake. The wave of the lava hit the shore and crossed it, and almost rolled into the center of the lake. The people began to fear that it could damage the boats at the harbor because that glowing river over there carries many large boulders. As the lava began to touch the lake, now the water started to boil and grow and become larger. While the water boiled, it began to hiss loudly, and the wind carried the hiss to the village, so I started to hear it. Surprisingly, the water began to dry. Smoke rose from the air like a large cloud. While the shall water receded, the shore pulled and changed. It was apparent that the severe wind did leave, so that it began to freeze with sold ice; from here the water could carry it to the lake.
Last edited by makvas on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Hey, Zoris, could you edit that message and erase the texts? I don't want anyone to see them.
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Mr. Z wrote:Hey, Zoris, could you edit that message and erase the texts? I don't want anyone to see them.
Why? We're done... :roll:

EDIT: I erased them... nobody should see it...

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Well, I don't know how to add the results to the KneeQuickie, so if I compile them, can someone else do the page?

Also: I'm sorry this didn't go as smoothly as expected. I was actually pretty rubbish as an organizer. Sorry, but I hope you had fun.
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Mr. Z wrote:Well, I don't know how to add the results to the KneeQuickie, so if I compile them, can someone else do the page?

Also: I'm sorry this didn't go as smoothly as expected. I was actually pretty rubbish as an organizer. Sorry, but I hope you had fun.
I can. I can add comments, too. (Like what I have done on my polyglottal telephone runs)
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:
Mr. Z wrote:Well, I don't know how to add the results to the KneeQuickie, so if I compile them, can someone else do the page?

I can. I can add comments, too. (Like what I have done on my polyglottal telephone runs)
Ok. I'll try to compile and send it to you tomorrow. Thanks.
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

Has there been any compiling?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

We're getting on for four months now. This is ridiculous.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Rise from the grave!

(I just noticed the other telephone thread died, found this instead)

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Mr. Z wrote:
Lyhoko Leaci wrote:

By tomorrow, did you mean next month, or possibly next year?

I could work with a mass of text that simply consists of all the PMs sent to you copied into one document...
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:
Mr. Z wrote:
Lyhoko Leaci wrote:

By tomorrow, did you mean next month, or possibly next year?

I could work with a mass of text that simply consists of all the PMs sent to you copied into one document...
Yeah... This telephone didn't turn out very well under my organization. Guess I'm not gonna do another one any time soon :roll:
I've really had lots of stuff lately, but I'm tryingto get it done.
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Hell yeah! Thanks a lot, Lyhoko, and sorry for the enormous amount of time it took. But it was kinda fun, I think.
And the KneeQuickie is up! :D
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

I've added the translation of my Tmaśareʔ text to the page, which didn't seem to have made it to Lyhoko. (By the way, an interlinear gloss is available here.)

Seems like I'm responsible for most of the "different feel" of the final text. In part, this is due to me not trying to translate literally, but to re-tell the story from the point of view of my conculture. Some of the differences, however (notably the boats appearing out of nowhere), resulted from errors in trying to make sense of the multi-purpose agreement markers in Kannow, many of which can refer to three or more different noun classes in different cases and numbers. When this is combined with an almost verb-only syntax and a pro-drop style of writing, as in some parts of Nortaneous' text, it can get confusing quickly: For example, I parsed the word kròrògomps as krò-ròg-o-mb-s PAST.MEDIOPASSIVE.NONFINITE-house-NULL-NC4/6.PL.PATIENT-NC7.NMLZ "they:4/6.were.housed.by.it/them:7", where the items referenced by noun classes 4 or 6 could be "4: swim animals, things in sea/rel. to water, legal terms, abstract, city" or "6: dead/rotting/broken things, some supernatural (usu. evil)+abstract", and the item referenced by noun class 7 (and thus, because the morpheme is a nominalizer, by the verb form as a whole) would be 7: containers, pottery, meat, tools, other manmade. All of these items appeared to be non-overt, i.e. not present as independent nouns, and so I had to make a choice for the Tmaśareʔ version. "Things in sea/rel. to water" thus became "boats", and "manmade container" became "harbor". Seeing Nort's English translation now, it seems that my Tmaśareʔ version was actually quite accurate semantically, but I used a locative phrase ~"boats in the harbor" where Kannow had something like "boat-housing [place]"...

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

On another note, is anyone interested in another conlingual telephone? The text will probably be a short one, (The one that wasn't chosen for PGT XV) if I end up picking it at least.

qiihoskeh
Sanci
Sanci

Post by qiihoskeh »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:On another note, is anyone interested in another conlingual telephone? The text will probably be a short one, (The one that wasn't chosen for PGT XV) if I end up picking it at least.
yes. I don't know what language yet.
Possibly we could have more people and shorter turns.
"The sable is empty, and his Norse is gone!" -- kathrynhr