[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Post Your Conlang's Inspiration

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:29 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:34 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:34 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

open vowel and low vowel mean the same thing you know

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:57 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:16 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Hey, I was xDing at the fact that you wrote "wovels" rather than "vowels", not at lacking low vowels.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:43 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:23 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Bump.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:40 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Kumiko
- Japanese syllable structure
- Chinese and Polish sounds
- words from mainly Chinese, English and Lojban
- Lojban grammar
- writing system based on Korean and
- Proto-Kumiko's grammar is based on logical, imperative and functional programming languages
and a sketch language:
- phonology away from Arabic, Na'vi and Klingon
- phonology inclined to Slavic languages
- semantics from SQL
- syntax and morphology are not created yet, but it will be Ithkuil-like

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:42 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Proto-Kett is a blatantly European-lookalike lang intended to look like a fantasylang version of Polish. (edit: with a bit of Hungarian thrown in, of course)

Last edited by Nortaneous on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:29 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Léxorfa was inspired at first by Latin and Greek in terms of the structure of its grammar, (a large number of declensions, masculine/feminine/neuter nouns, large number of cases, fusional morphology), lexicon, and vowel system (I use an acute instead of a macron simply because I learned to type that first, so I find it simply easier- I use a macron in handwritten notes). The romanization was partially inspired by the IPA and Basque (grapheme <x> for /∫/), and partially my own desire to avoid digraphs (using Greek zeta and xi for /dz/ and /ts/ respectively). It uses an abugida boustrophedon script because I thought it looked neat. As I looked up more things, I began to steal some vocabulary from various language families, e.g. abu- "father or father's brother," orso- "house," esurga- "priest or scholar or learned professional," and dreskua- "mind or spirit or reason," which come from from Arabic, Mongolian, and Basque, which are sometimes imported whole (abu) or severely altered to match my aesthetics and grammar (zorkin (meaning witch)-> esurga (priest)) without any concious regard to regular sound changes... I admit that it is a little n00bish and some elements (namely the evidentiality particles, the abundance of moods, the affricates, and the uses of the middle voice) might be a little kitchen sinkish or at least overly ambitious. However, it is my most complete conlang and conculture to date, which isn't saying much. I've got a whole bunch of sketchlangs and culture sketches that I map out from time to time, but none of them have come to fruition as full scale projects.

Last edited by Latinist13 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Kinál is heavily influenced by North American native languages; it's got a similar sound set and is highly agglutinative, as well as consonant clusters that can become pretty horrendous.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:19 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ksso takes after:
-Määda, my first legit (and semi-defunct) conlang, whose spirit sort of lives on in Ksso, in terms of grammar (left-branching, often OSV, complex verbs, lots of cases, etc.) and aesthetics (lots of vowels, sexy consonant clusters, and <eo>, among other things).
-Finnish and Estonian, mainly through Määda.
-Ōgami, a dialect of the Miyako language, grammatically and phonologically.
-Hawai'ian, mostly phonology-wise.

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:39 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Illyrian (with perhaps painful transparency) is designed to resemble —
Middle Dutch — < gh > as a possible spelling of /g/, merger of masculine and feminine singular definite articles to tha
Dutch — use of < ij >, which can represent either /i:/ or /ɛi/, < sch > for /ʃ/
French, Frisian — circumflex marks long vowels â ê î ô û, also < eu, ou > for /œ: u:/, lots of unpronounced written final consonants, merger of /ai ei/ to /ɛː/
Middle French — use of eû as a variant of û to spell /y:/, cf. Mod. Fr. j'ai eu, nous eûmes, at the end of a word, /i/ is generally written < y >
English — erratic application of sound changes, doublets of the same word having come to mean different things (clocke "bell" and cloche "cloak") and echt (non-gendered third-person emphatic form)); slightly nuanced synonyms (including blesse, fleure, floure, blute, flute, all meaning roughly "flower"); large numbers of loanwords which have become everyday vocabulary — cf. lud, lachert, sorcelleria, littératura, cloche, horologe; final < e >, often descended from /ə ər/ has come to be pronounced /a/; changing a lot of vowels to /ɛ/ because it makes me think of highly affected speech.
Scots — use of syllable-final < ch > for what was once /x/, and what is now either unpronounced or non-syllabic /i/ in certain cases
Italian — lots of words ending in /a/ and /ia/, both of Latinate and non-Latinate origin, loss of neuter gender
Russian and Hungarian — provide vocabulary such as imia, Majarsagh, almos, theve (lit. "given name", "Hungary", "slumber", "tree") and others which appear to come from nowhere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:38 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

As for the languages I've posted quite a bit on/in:
Telèmor: It's a Romance-based conlang, most heavily based on Portuguese and French, with some vocabulary influenced by Hungarian, Bulgarian, Japanese, and German, and German V2 word order. The orthography comes from Romanian, Portuguese, and Italian.

Ilian: Mostly Hungarian and Finnish in some of the grammar and phonotactics with the nasal vowels coming from French, but the vocabulary is largely either Latinate, Germanic, or self-created. The permission of syllabic [l] and [r] comes from Croatian and Hindi. The orthography was something I came up with to avoid diacritics on the consonants, as a diacritic stew would not have been pretty. (I've done it before... oh, boy. That language was a bonafide mess.)

Oshaháru: The word stem system arises from Hebrew/Arabic/Maltese, with the actual words itself coming from what sounds good to me, the counting system/count words coming partly from Japanese, and the word ordering is somewhat Classical Arabic-based. The script itself is based off of Hebrew and Thai.

Glaagh/Luxa: It's meant to be completely outlandish, but there is some Arabic influence with the emphatic consonants.

In search of subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:09 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:23 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

One of these days I'd like to see a conlang that "doesn't look like anything" that doesn't look like a conlang. There seem to be a lot of stereotypical conlang features that keep cropping up: the two most notable are one or two stop/fricative series usually distinguished by voice (along with a SAE inventory in general, especially for consonants) and acutes (especially r-acute for some reason).

Maybe once I get around to reworking Gadaye and the Hathic languages I'll get around to doing something that doesn't fall into that trap. (I'd also like to think Renzell doesn't, but Renzell is just insane.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:08 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Xokal is meant to be Mesoamerican Linguistic Area like (ignore what's in my sig, I've updated since). The new thing I'm toying around with is going to be somewhere between Arabic and sort of generic Slavic in terms of phonology. Sadly, I get working on phonology and don't ever stop, so I've never gotten more than a couple of words and a tiny, tiny bit of grammar done (then again, whatever I do, I'm doing for an Honors thesis, so it has to be really polished).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Last edited by Ulan on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I decided to start my first real foray into conlanging with a language family. This might seem ambitious, but I don't think I'm going to into detail with any of the grammar. It's more to just get an idea of how to come up with realistic sound changes and derivation. Plus, I'm really interested in historical linguistics.

Proto-Qamic: An Eskimo rip off with voiced stops. And dental fricatives. I guess it has a bit of Quechua influence as well, especially in it's vocabullary. All three other langs are derived from this one.

Hamih: Supposed to be reminiscent of Algonquian.

Amie: This one actually didn't really turn out like any particular language or language family but still feels vaguely Native American. Maybe a bit like French too, I dunno. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Unnamed: Exact same consonant inventory as Hawaiian. More of an experiment than a serious project. It's also an opportunity for me to test out a conlang with extensive allophony.

Of all my experiments, I'd say Hamih is the one I'm most pleased with and most likely to develop further.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:45 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

bump.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:17 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I've just clambered my way through a conlang called Umík:
• Kannow
• Nuxálk
• Ithkuil (so much inspirationnnn)
• Koasati
• Georgian
• Ts'ez
I've trying an attempt at a germlang of Scandinavia called Gothlandic (Götlåndska):
• Swedish
• Norwegian
• Old Swedish
• Small little parts of Danish
• Scottish Gaelic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:11 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next