TC: This is Conlangery

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Re: TC: This is Conlangery

Post by Foolster41 »

finlay wrote:
Foolster41 wrote:(Moved from accidently posted in the original conlangy thread. :P):

In salthan, "conlangy" could be done a few ways, and I couldn't decide which one was best, so here'a all 3.

No matter what I do, it's biting off the begining of the first one, at least on my end. I'm going to try again later.

Dikaɘʃa in each is "welcome", and Ul- prefix is "inside of"

Dikaɘʃa ulkonlanȝali
(konlanȝali "Konlangee" transposed)

Dikaɘʃa ulsɘkdashaΘɘnai
sɘkdas-haΘɘ-nai
To build/put two things together-[word-PL] - "To build words" or "to build language"

Dikaɘʃa ultʃaΘoshaΘɘnai
tʃaΘos-haΘɘn-ai
"to mold/from-word-PL - "To mold words" or "to mold language"
you know... that's a capital theta you've got there. And why on earth are you using yogh?
Is there a difference in IPA between capital and lower case? The source I use just says "theta" (though it does look funny vbeing in the middle,if that's what you mean. I can fix it later)
yogh is, I had thought though like J in Jam, at least according to this flash IPA site I use )
Last edited by Foolster41 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Foolster41 wrote:
finlay wrote: you know... that's a capital theta you've got there. And why on earth are you using yogh?
Is there a difference in IPA between capital and lower case? The source I use just says "theta"
yogh is, I had thought though like J in Jam, at least according to this flash IPA site I use )
ʤ is the J in jam, which isn't even in that chart. ʒ is the s in the middle of vision, which only looks somewhat like yogh, it's actually called ezh. (the two were apparently the same letter in early forms of Unicode, though, which might be the cause of the confusion...) There are no true uppercase letters in IPA, only small uppercase looking letters like ɴ or ʟ or others.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Now the only question left is, what is the difference between <e> and <ɘ>, since you only seem to use <ɘ>?

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Guitarplayer wrote:Now the only question left is, what is the difference between <e> and <ɘ>, since you only seem to use <ɘ>?
You can hear the difference here http://www.yorku.ca/earmstro/ipa/vowels.html
(It's front close-mid vs. central close-mid)

Also, I realized it's supposed to be "conlangery", not "conlangy", but that's the one I need to fix anyway.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Yeah, but if you only have [ɘ] for /e/ (it seems?), why not use <e>, as that's less awkward to type?

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

Guitarplayer wrote:Yeah, but if you only have [ɘ] for /e/ (it seems?), why not use <e>, as that's less awkward to type?
What he wrote was suposed to be IPA so < > don't come into the picture because he was using [ ].

This is why I dislike IPA, so many symbol look the same that it confuses some people (e.g. his use of yogh instead of ezh). Also diacritics are tiny and difficult to tell apart or even notice on the screen. And lets face it @ is a lot easier to type than ɘ. Some people might consider IPA prettier but form over function is generally not a good philosophy when utility is key.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Personally I can tell the IPA symbols apart without any difficulty at all, and diacritics are only a problem when they're stacked in the same place which usually doesn't happen.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Prmysl wrote:What he wrote was suposed to be IPA so < > don't come into the picture because he was using [ ].
Mkay, I was assuming he went for the mixed Latin/IPA orthography like in some African languages, where there are e.g. ɛ and ɔ.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Prmysl wrote:And lets face it @ is a lot easier to type than ɘ.
Yes, @\ is so hard!

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

This seemed like something I should do. :D
I look forward to making you read this!

Welcome to Conlangery!
The podcast about constructed languages
and the people who create them.

Kía Áyarikuumautxiikat!
Ir imíritsatxanuriim kúmautxnaayarukiha la
iíayariukiha ah.

[ 'kiʔə 'ajəɾekʰuːmauʧiːkət ]
[ iɾ i'miɾiʦəʧənuɾiːm 'kumauʧnaːjarekʰɪxə la ]
[ e'ʔiʔəjarjukʰɪxa ax ]

hello create.laguages-DST
<CC DEF-voice.story-AGT language<pl>-ADJ-created-WTH and
DEF-creator<pl>-WTH CC>

Ngohe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ngohe »

Watteetexu (Ne ennu) [ɰat̪ːɛːˈt̪ɛʔ] [n̪ɛ ɦɛn̪ː]

Xē xatai kī Kōllageri!
Ne rakappikēkei xō wattē ē kekatā
llē tētai ē tēa nexo xā xōru.

ʔɛː ʔaˈt̪aɦi kiː kɔːl̪aˈŋɛɾ̪i
n̪ɛ ɾ̪akapːikɛːˈkɛɦi ʔɔː ɰaˈtːɛ ɦɛː kɛːkaˈt̪aː
l̪ɛː t̪ɛːˈt̪aɦi ɦɛː ˈt̪ɛɦa ˈn̪ɛʔɔ ʔaː ʔɔː

WanderlustKoko
Lebom
Lebom

Post by WanderlustKoko »

Welcome to Conlangery!
Kuma:
Čamūsi ,,Konlengeri ,, [Kjengo na ūmbadzi]! /tʃamu:si konleɲkɛri (kjɛɲko na u:mbadʒi)/
Tuttapå kjengo ūmbadzi słūkaziče hidonadzi ūmbadzijūa. /tut:apo: kjɛɲko u:mbadʒi swu:kazitʃɛ hidonadʒi u:mbadʒiju:a/

[A Greeting, welcoming (a person) to (something)+"Conlangery" (Or language in creation)!+ All about/All on/More about adv+language/word/speech+creation+"Podcast" (voice+ear phones/headphones: listening object)+ Person PL (People)+creation+-Neutral Pro Suffix=It/they/them]
Current Conlang Project: Karuslnko. http://karuslnkoconlang.wordpress.com

Jadyndar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Jadyndar »

Welcome to Conlangery!
Gomain:

¡Ráshnóiktí óg úChóingkhwéróithét - úkhakpráikhwéiét éháipád zóng úkhwéróithá úchóimbéná ís úkéfá káu khechóing fo!
[rɑʃˈnoɪktʰi og uˈt͡ʃoɪŋxwɛˌroɪθɛt - uˈxækpraɪˌxweɪɛt ɛˈhaɪpʰɑd zoŋ uxwɛˈroɪθɑ uˈt͡ʃoɪmbɛnɑ is uˈkʰɛfɑ kʰaʊ xəˈt͡ʃoɪŋ fɔ]
welcome at_place DAT-make-language-NMLZ - DAT-far-say-NMLZ INST-iPod about DAT-language-PL DAT-make:PTCP.PST.PASS-PL and DAT-person-PL who.REL 3mfp-make ACC.3np

Edit: Gloss added.
TomHChappell wrote:
Putrid wrote:There is no ɔ but o̞.
And œ is its prophet?