Conlingual Telephone VI

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Conlingual Telephone VI

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

And now, lets try another Conlingual Telephone, hopefully better organized.

The rules:
• You have three (3) days to complete the translation – this is to keep it going. The text is short (under 100 words), so this shouldn't be a problem. The second half of Team Lepton gets 4 days though, due to a dropout and other issues. If you believe you'll need more time due to outside issues, try to let me know as soon as you can. (As in, don't just vanish)
You must also provide an English translation, as not everyone is going to know these languages.
When you have translated, PM your new translation to the person next in line and to me, and your extra English translation, just to me.
• Do not post translations in this thread, and try not to spoil anything.
• Teams may or may not exist, depending on how people feel about having them and how many people are involved
• Check this thread to keep up with any news.
• Post whatever conlang you plan on translating to, and which you prefer translating out of if you want, but remember that if multiple people offer to translate out of language X, I can't have you both do it. Unless team branching is involved or something. Also note that at least 1 (or more) may have to translate out of a language and just into English at the end of the chain.
• I'll compile it on the kneequickie at the end, assuming it doesn't go down again.
• Have fun!

The plan is to have just a two sentence or so text, to hopefully speed it up a bit, and to avoid some of the problems from the previous CLT.

This time around, I'm translating into Ancaron.

Team(s):

Team Quark
Lyhoko Leaci: English -> Ancaron (6th)
Mr. Z: Ancaron -> Efsig or Athonian (9th)
Cathbad: Efsig or Athonian -> High Eolic (12th)
cedh audmanh: High Eolic -> Doayâu (15th)
Risla: Doayâu -> South Eresian (22th)
finlay: South Eresian -> Sentalian (26th)
Earthling: Sentalian -> English (29th)

Completed on December 27th, at 12:59 pm

Team Lepton
Bedelato: English -> Bengedian (6th)
vampireshark: Bengedian -> Telèmor (9th)
qiihoskeh: Telèmor -> Naisek (13th)
Ictrgzmn: Naisek -> Adwan (17th)
Nortaneous: Adwan -> Kannow (24th)
CJMiller: Kannow Adwan -> Xylphika (26th)
Přemysl: Xylphika > English (29st)

Completed on December 25th, at 2:50 am

Results:

Here.
Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Conlingual Telephone IV or something

Post by finlay »

You pre-empted me by a few hours. Damn you! :P Yeah, i'll do it. Sentalian is still my primary conlang, so probably into that, but i reserve the right to change it unexpectedly at the last minute. :P

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

I'm in if you'll take me. :P I'll be translating into High Eolic.

Amsel
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Amsel »

I'll play, too--especially since I'm trying (afer all these years) to become a "Productive Member of ZBB Society", and Kallai (finally) is nearing a workable syntax, and here in China I have a lot of time on my hands, at the moment.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Alright, I wanna join. I might give up, but let's give it another shot. I'm not sure what conlang I'd like to translate into, though; it would probably be either Ysrell, Efsig, Athonian, or (maybe) Izomafo.
Last edited by Mr. Z on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I'll do it, and I won't take a ride on the failboat this time for a change. Into South Eresian.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

On another note, should the languages in question be in romanized form, or would you be okay with having the languages represented in their native script (if they have one, at least, and the author wants it to be) as long as the information required to understand the native script is included with the grammar/lexicon?
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

I'm not sure how much time I'll have, but if the text is short, I think I can manage. I'll be translating into Doayâu this time.

(And I'd love to translate from either High Eolic or South Eresian. Both of these are languages I've been meaning to study in more detail for quite some time now...)

qiihoskeh
Sanci
Sanci

Post by qiihoskeh »

I'll probably want to use Naisek, due to vocabulary size. I prefer to translate from a romanization, since I have to convert the source to ASCII to work on it.

BTW, I think this is really CT V or maybe even CT VI; at least one of the earlier CT's weren't saved on KQ.

Edit: Yes, CT IV was being done in Jan. 2009 according to saved PM's.
"The sable is empty, and his Norse is gone!" -- kathrynhr

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

Aw, I've always wanted to do this with Adwan!

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlingual Telephone VI, apparently

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

As of now I am thinking of closing entries (well, somewhat, as this isn't a polyglottal telephone new people can probably be added into the chain at any time...) and posting the team(s) on Wednesday or Thursday, and then starting the actual relay several days later. (Saturday? Sunday?) It will probably just be romanizations, though if both the sender and the receiver of a specific link want to include conscripts, then that could work, too, where some links would have conscripts and others just romanization. (Though if this is done, please send me a romanized version as well for record keeping.)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Damn, looks like it'll be happening too early for me to participate. I can translate into Kannow, but I won't have time until around three weeks from now.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Nortaneous wrote:Damn, looks like it'll be happening too early for me to participate. I can translate into Kannow, but I won't have time until around three weeks from now.
Come back in three weeks and find out. Remember how the last one took us forever because people kept stalling?

On that note, let's try and keep this one going guyz!

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Well, I think it would be nice to have conscripts, but it should be merely optional, because many people might not have conscripts and it takes a lot of trouble to write in them and translate from them. Very conveniently, though, most of the languages I offered have the Latin alphabet as (at least on of) their official orthographies. The exception are Athonian, which uses a logography + an conalphabet, and Anfunite, which is probably written in the Arabic script, or in a deformed version of it.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Mr. Z wrote:Well, I think it would be nice to have conscripts, but it should be merely optional, because many people might not have conscripts and it takes a lot of trouble to write in them and translate from them. Very conveniently, though, most of the languages I offered have the Latin alphabet as (at least on of) their official orthographies. The exception are Athonian, which uses a logography + an conalphabet, and Anfunite, which is probably written in the Arabic script, or in a deformed version of it.
I have a conscript for my own language, but... it'll take 10 times longer to do than just the translation itself. So I definitely agree it would be better to do it without conscripts, although of course conscripted (har har) versions can always be put up by people if they want to do them?

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I'll send it in my more phonemic conscript (South Eresian actually has two divergent scripts), if whoever's doing it would like that; it's a bit weird but it's not particularly complex. I'll also send a phonemic or Latin orthographic version in spoiler tags if that's necessary. :P

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I wouldn't mind being masochistic and translating out of the non-phonemic one. I think Cedh has called dibs on translating out of South eresian though.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

finlay wrote:I wouldn't mind being masochistic and translating out of the non-phonemic one. I think Cedh has called dibs on translating out of South eresian though.
I said I'd be fine with High Eolic too, so if you really want to go for Risla's script, no problem... ;)

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bedelato »

Awesome, KneeQuickie's back up :D

I'd volunteer Bengedian... again... (Gettin' tired of it yet? Well too bad, I'm doin' it anyway :P)

As long as I'm not scheduled during Christmas break (I'm going somewhere where there's no Internet). That pretty much eliminates the second half of December. Any other time would probably be okay.
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Bedelato wrote: As long as I'm not scheduled during Christmas break (I'm going somewhere where there's no Internet). That pretty much eliminates the second half of December. Any other time would probably be okay.
! Forgot to mention I'll be away between 19th and 25th December as well. I'll have internet, but probably won't have time to do translations.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Sure, I'm feeling masochistic. I'll participate with either Telèmor or Ilian, probably the former to avoid giving a migraine to the victim. Problem is that my conlang notes are a bit disorganized, so it'd be a bit of an adventure for whoever translates out of my language...

And I'm most available any day except the weekends and from the 16th to the 19th of December.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

qiihoskeh wrote:I'll probably want to use Naisek, due to vocabulary size. I prefer to translate from a romanization, since I have to convert the source to ASCII to work on it.

BTW, I think this is really CT V or maybe even CT VI; at least one of the earlier CT's weren't saved on KQ.

Edit: Yes, CT IV was being done in Jan. 2009 according to saved PM's.
Or you can work on it in paper and pencil and then when you're finished write the English translation on the computer.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

finlay wrote:I wouldn't mind being masochistic and translating out of the non-phonemic one. I think Cedh has called dibs on translating out of South Eresian though.
You probably would mind, the non-phonemic one is a mutilated version of the Acranasian script after no spelling reforms for the last nine hundred years or so. And I would mind translating into it, as I would have to work through the etymologies of all the words (which are not listed in the current dictionary file) and my notes on it aren't super organized atm. :P

I'd rather go later, if possible. I'd prefer to be done with finals before I take this on.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Possible team arrangements:

Team Quark
Lyhoko Leaci: English -> Ancaron (6th)
Mr. Z: Ancaron -> ??? (9th)
Cathbad: High Eolic (12th)
cedh audmanh: High Eolic -> Doayâu (15th)
Risla: Doayâu -> South Eresian (18th)
finlay: South Eresian -> Sentalian (21th)
???: Sentalian -> English

Team Lepton
Bedelato: English -> Bengedian (6th)
vampireshark: Bengedian -> Telèmor/Ilian (9th)
Amsel: Telèmor/Ilian > Kallai (12th)
qiihoskeh: Kallai Telèmor/Ilian -> Naisek (15th)
Ictrgzmn: Naisek -> Adwan (18th)
Nortaneous:? Adwan -> Kannow (21st)
???: Kannow > English

Still need people willing to translate from a conlang to English, preferably someone who hasn't seen the text, though someone at the end could translate the other team's text to English, as the text likely would have diverged a bit by that point...

And Nortaneous, is that late enough?
Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:And Nortaneous, is that late enough?
Unless I'm dramatically misremembering my schedule, yes, that'd work.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.