LangMaker Top 100

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Ghost wrote::P

How many people have put their lang up on http://www.langmaker.com. I have, it should be on the list soon.

Please go to http://www.jaueqaomys.tk

Qrac :P [/url]
I put mine up in January, but my language is totally different now, so I better go change it.

Xeon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xeon »

The Langmaker countdown means nothing. Esperanto is #1 on it. :mrgreen:

*scores a four-peat*

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Xeon wrote:The Langmaker countdown means nothing. Esperanto is #1 on it. :mrgreen:
That tells *me* that the countdown is reliable. :mrgreen:

Xeon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xeon »

Shm Jay wrote:
Xeon wrote:The Langmaker countdown means nothing. Esperanto is #1 on it. :mrgreen:
That tells *me* that the countdown is reliable. :mrgreen:
I like Esperanto, but it's basically just a bunch of languages butchered and thrown into one.

*scores another four-peat*

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Esperato sounds too Romance to be an international language. Amusing how the only attempts at such things I've heard of are done by Europeans, and they all sound like Romance languages. Zamenhof wasn't nearly creative enough for my taste.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

valinta wrote:Esperato sounds too Romance to be an international language. Amusing how the only attempts at such things I've heard of are done by Europeans, and they all sound like Romance languages. Zamenhof wasn't nearly creative enough for my taste.
I speak a Romace language and Esperanto doesn't seems to me very 'Romance'; it reminds me of a kind of Eastern Europe/Balkan language, don't ask me why... (this is absolutely subjective, of course).

I agree with you: Zamenhof wasn't nearly creative enough.... I think one of the main problems of Esperanto is that it doesn't have a mythology... if Esperanto had a mythology (invented, of course), it would had more acceptance, maybe.... Look at Quenya and Sindarin; they are great langs and they have great mythologies behind. I prefer Quenya as an auxlang instead of Esperanto...
Well, maybe the main problem of Esperanto is that sounds ugly for a lot of people and it's too 'recognizable'... too indoeuropean.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Xeon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xeon »

Izopiru wrote:I speak a Romace language and Esperanto doesn't seems to me very 'Romance'; it reminds me of a kind of Eastern Europe/Balkan language, don't ask me why...
Well, the creator was a native speaker of Polish.
Izopiru wrote:Well, maybe the main problem of Esperanto is that sounds ugly for a lot of people and it's too 'recognizable'... too indoeuropean.
That was Zamenhof's intention.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Xeon wrote:
Izopiru wrote:Well, maybe the main problem of Esperanto is that sounds ugly for a lot of people and it's too 'recognizable'... too indoeuropean.
Why? I think is better to base a worlwide auxlang on more than one linguistic family.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Izopiru wrote:
Xeon wrote:
Why? I think is better to base a worlwide auxlang on more than one linguistic family.
If he wanted it to be as Indo-European as it is, he shouldn't have tried to pass it off as an "international language." :roll:

Does anybody know of an "international" auxlang that isn't primarily IE-based? I'm curious.

Xeon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xeon »

valinta wrote:Does anybody know of an "international" auxlang that isn't primarily IE-based? I'm curious.
Lojban

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Xeon wrote:
valinta wrote:Does anybody know of an "international" auxlang that isn't primarily IE-based? I'm curious.
Lojban
Oh yeah. *reminds self to look at it sometime*

Obligatory reminder: Post 666! *song "You're going to hell" from the South Park Movie plays in the background*

Drakes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Drakes »

Heh, I was looking through Langmaker's conlang list a couple days ago, and it seemed every other lang on the list was an auxlang based on Esperanto...
It's been done so many times. What's the fun in reinventing that particular wheel? :?
drake
Etymology: Middle English; akin to Old High German an[i]trahho[/i] drake
Date: 14th century
: a male duck

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

valinta wrote:If he wanted it to be as Indo-European as it is, he shouldn't have tried to pass it off as an "international language."
He had covered most of Europe as well as most of the countries founded by people of European descent in other parts of the world- back then, in the opinion of most of the people in these countries, that was enough to qualify as "international".
did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Raphael wrote:
valinta wrote:If he wanted it to be as Indo-European as it is, he shouldn't have tried to pass it off as an "international language."
He had covered most of Europe as well as most of the countries founded by people of European descent in other parts of the world- back then, in the opinion of most of the people in these countries, that was enough to qualify as "international".
True, but there's people today who still want it to be the international language. That would be kind of like giving European imperialists the last laugh (if they haven't already had it with English), eh? :P

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

valinta wrote:
Izopiru wrote:
Xeon wrote:
If he wanted it to be as Indo-European as it is, he shouldn't have tried to pass it off as an "international language." :roll:

Does anybody know of an "international" auxlang that isn't primarily IE-based? I'm curious.
Well, it's following is probably somewhere <2, but there was this guy on the conlang list (which stopped being an auxlang list when the auxlang list was created so the non-auxlanger conlangers could be left in peace, tho' I guess for questions on grammar etc. the conlang list is a resource for the more intellectual amateur auxlangers) who made a fennougric (as far as grammar) auxlang with, iirc, the vocabulary not derived from any language at all, but rather generated from scratch. It was called Uusisuom.

Of course, FU is as close you can come to IE without being IE, or perhaps not.

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Miekko wrote:It was called Uusisuom.

New Finnish?

If Finno-Ugric isn't the closest to IE, what is? (I'm not making any assertions or asking anyone in particular)

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

valinta wrote:
Miekko wrote:It was called Uusisuom.

New Finnish?

If Finno-Ugric isn't the closest to IE, what is? (I'm not making any assertions or asking anyone in particular)
Depends on your definition of Indo-European. If you include Anatolian in IE, then it's probably FU/Uralic (I once read where it was South Caucasian, but I've never seen any evidence for or against that). If you separate Anatolian out, then it's obviously Anatolian.

Of course these are just of the families that are represented today. There were likely many closer to IE, but they got swallowed up by the Indo-Iranian hordes.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

cctoide
Niš
Niš

Post by cctoide »

Kind of offtopic now, but it seems like the actual number of the beast is 616... :? No topic for ID 616 though.

Cro Magnon
Niš
Niš

Post by Cro Magnon »

Xeon wrote:
Lojban
Or Klingon. It's not just international, it's interplanetary! And it probably looks less alien than Lojban.

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

My guess would be that Zamenhof made Esperanto IE because when he lived, the Europeans ruled the world and almost noone at thet time wound ever dream of that the colonial rule would fall...
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

Legros
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Legros »

skrivihop wrote:My guess would be that Zamenhof made Esperanto IE because when he lived, the Europeans ruled the world and almost noone at thet time wound ever dream of that the colonial rule would fall...
Those were the good old days :|
*waxes nostalgic*

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

WHAT ABOUT INTERLINGUA? THAT LANGUAGE WOULD WORK
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Raphael wrote:
Indeed, if 'international' is taken to mean 'between nations' then something only needs to be spoken in two different countries to qualify as such.

I have a theory about auxlangs. One day, everyone will speak one. However, nobody will speak the same one.
Skrivihop wrote:My guess would be that Zamenhof made Esperanto IE because when he lived, the Europeans ruled the world and almost no one at thet time wound ever dream of that the colonial rule would fall...
Also, if Wikipedia is to be believed, although he spoke several languages, only one of them (Hebrew) was non-Indo-European. Could have had quite a bearing on how Esperanto turned out.

I find it interesting that although this thread is in the 'Almea' forum, none of the posts appearing in the 'Topic Review' actually have anything to do with Mark's conworld ...

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Turtlehead wrote:WHAT ABOUT INTERLINGUA? THAT LANGUAGE WOULD WORK
Lol. It's me back in the day.

*COUGH COUGH*

Its the 666 thread. Maybe the top 100 Langmakers are the sign of the beast.
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

xeta
Niš
Niš

Post by xeta »

Does anyone know if this list is still updated? Thank you.