Verdurian words that look like Finnish words

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Ofeig
Niš
Niš

Post by Ofeig »

The Swedish word for prison (F?ngelse) is pretty hard for a finnish person to pronounce. So it is likely that the word is taken from tower: "torn" or perhaps the tower: "tornet".

I saw that the Swedish word for eagle, "?rn" is the same as in Verdurian. :P
[b]"Hebrea ŝtato ne estas necesa. Hebreoj loĝas jam de dumil jaroj en multaj nehebreaj ŝtatoj, kaj ili povas fari tiel ankaŭ estonttempe."
- Mordechai Vanunu[/b]

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Ofeig wrote:The Swedish word for prison (F?ngelse) is pretty hard for a finnish person to pronounce. So it is likely that the word is taken from tower: "torn" or perhaps the tower: "tornet".
I don't think that's the source - it's highly unlikely that it would have given a Finnish tyrm?. Most likely is that Finnish borrowed it from Russian - Finnland was part of the Russian empire for more than one hundred years, so it's quite probable that the Finns would take their word for prison from Russian.
Best regards,
Hans-Werner

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Ofeig wrote:The Swedish word for prison (F?ngelse) is pretty hard for a finnish person to pronounce.
Replace "Finnish person" with "Finnish speaker" and we're all happy.

Ofeig
Niš
Niš

Post by Ofeig »

Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Replace "Finnish person" with "Finnish speaker" and we're all happy.
Well, perhaps "speaker of Finnish" is even better? A "Finnish speaker" would perhaps say "God kv?ll!" instead of "Hyv?? iltaa!" depending on he/she is from Mariehamn or from Karelia... Enough of that

Hans-Werner wrote:
I don't think that's the source - it's highly unlikely that it would have given a Finnish tyrm?. Most likely is that Finnish borrowed it from Russian - Finnland was part of the Russian empire for more than one hundred years, so it's quite probable that the Finns would take their word for prison from Russian.
Well, and Finland was a part of Sweden for over five hundred years and after that; during the russian rule, swedish was the primary language of schools, government agencies and newspapers.
It wasn't until 1901 that russian was declared official language, and the governor who did it was later murdered.

I think that the word for prison would have entered the finnish language before 1800, and it would likely be from swedish...

Or perhaps...!

The finns took the word from some other language, even before Swedish ruleship?

I don't know
[b]"Hebrea ŝtato ne estas necesa. Hebreoj loĝas jam de dumil jaroj en multaj nehebreaj ŝtatoj, kaj ili povas fari tiel ankaŭ estonttempe."
- Mordechai Vanunu[/b]

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Ofeig wrote:
Well, and Finland was a part of Sweden for over five hundred years and after that; during the russian rule, swedish was the primary language of schools, government agencies and newspapers.
It wasn't until 1901 that russian was declared official language, and the governor who did it was later murdered.

I think that the word for prison would have entered the finnish language before 1800, and it would likely be from swedish...

Or perhaps...!

I don't know
Neither do I - I think someone with access to an Etymological dictionary of Finnish could shed light on that. OTOH:
1. The word looks very similar to Russian tyurma
2. It doesn't look like a likely result of a borrowing from Swedishtoren (and does anybody know whether that ever had the meaning "prison"?
3. It sure does not look like v?ngelse
4. I don't think it likely that the concept of a prison as an institution was known to the Finns before Swedish rule, so your last proposal doesn't seem likely at all to me.
5. Finnish might well have had some other word for prison under Swedish rule, and then replaced it by a Russian word - Imperial Russia was a quite oppressive place (although not by far as oppressive as its Soviet successor), so a loan in that area does not look unlikely to me.
So I still think the borrowing from Russian is the most probable explanation.
Best regards,
Hans-Werner

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Ofeig wrote:
Hans-Werner wrote:I don't think that's the source - it's highly unlikely that it would have given a Finnish tyrm?. Most likely is that Finnish borrowed it from Russian - Finnland was part of the Russian empire for more than one hundred years, so it's quite probable that the Finns would take their word for prison from Russian.

Or perhaps...!

I don't know
Let us think. Which power was more likely to throw a given person in a prison. Royal Sweden, or Imperial Russia. I'd say Russia.

BTW Ofeig, you can put the quotee's name in the quote line by using the set [ quote = " NAME " ] without the spaces.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Ofeig
Niš
Niš

Post by Ofeig »

Hans-Werner, fair enough, I'll accept your explaination :-)

But, I would bet that much money on that the Russians were more evil than the Swedes, we weren't very nice to the finns I'm afraid...

Drydic_guy: Thanks very much, I was just wondering...
- Mordechai Vanunu[/b]

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Russia were mostly relatively lenient in Finland (compared to in the rest of Russia), except for some of the time during late 19th century - early 20th century.

Also, f?ngelse / f?nge (prison / prisoner) seems to have the borrowed form vankila / vanki - tho' they seem rather conservative, and I suspect vankila is independently formed from vanki, or pseudo-calqued from f?ngelse in some way.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

I checked a Russian Etymological dictionary (a small one for school usage by Shanskij & Bobrova - unfortunately I have no access to a really comprehensive one, like Vasmer's). Seems I have been on the wrong track for Russian tyurma - it seems to be from a Turkic language. Unfortunately, Sh&B don't supply a detailed history; they state that the word was already known in Old Russian (this definitely speaks against a German borrowing, as the German influence began only in the early modern period) and quote a Turkic *t?rm? (which funnily looks like the Finnish word - sometimes things come full cycle, at least in their orthographic form), meaning "dungeon, prison", from a root *t?r "heap, build", so the original meaning would have been "building".
I'll see whether I can trace that further. Anyway, this etymology solves the puzzle of the "palatalizing u", and it also explains the ending -a and the female gender, which would be hard to explain for a borrowing from German Turm; the Turkic suffix -me/ma has become -ma in other loanwords, too, and the gender was triggered by the ending.
Best regards,
Hans-Werner

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

German ? is the same IPA as Finnish y right?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

valinta wrote:German ? is the same IPA as Finnish y right?
AFAIK, yes.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Yes. It is indeed IPA [y].
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Rory wrote:
Yes. It is indeed IPA [y].
I thought the short ? (eg in f?nf (I think), as opposed to that in ?h or ?ber) was /Y/.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

I think Finnish spelling should be harmonized with Estonian.
Thus, the vowels, orthographically would be
u o a
? ? ? - look what beautiful symmetry
i e

instead of
u o a
y ? ? - do you spot that glaring hole in symmetry there?
i e

This looxxors real cool with vowel harmony.

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Probably makes more sense, but using y and/or w as vowels makes you really awesome! :mrgreen: