What's next

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Xeon wrote:What about Flaidish? Does it have a fairly comprehensive grammar yet?
Zomp has a website, you know.

http://zompist.com/flaidish.htm

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Xeon wrote:What about Flaidish? Does it have a fairly comprehensive grammar yet?
Yes! Check www.zompist.com

Xeon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xeon »

pharazon wrote:
Zomp has a website, you know.

http://zompist.com/flaidish.htm
Heheh. I never saw the link to the Flaidish grammar before.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

zompist wrote:
Ghost wrote:A year and a quarter on, I really must revoice the old question:

What's next?
Who knows? However, I can answer the question "what have I been working on?" And that would be:

-- a full description of Meshaism (the religion of ancient Axunai, and the parent of Endaju?)
-- the grammar of Axunashin
-- a grammar of Old Skourene
:drools, followed by high-pitched yipping:
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

1: the Dhekhnami (or at least the Demoshi) have large ocean-going ships.
2: they have a trade relationship with Kebri and an intense rivalry with Verduria.
3: they have witnessed both these nations prosper from over-seas colonies.

My question is: how long could it be before Dhekhnam founds a colony? It seems strange to me that it hasn't happened already.

I think the most likely place would be Xamshan, away from hostile Verdurian influence, but near neutral Kebreni trading partners. For a while, this might provide a menacing rival to the Verdurian trade network in Uytai and Mnese. But of course, only for a little while.

The Demoshi back home would certainly treat this new outpost poorly, with the usual proceedure being that this new colony will conquer its neighbors and treat them like risdosh. But with the oppressors so far away, and narry a Ktuvok for miles, the more sensible solution would be to simply break away from Dhekhnam, creating an independant Eynlayni state. Shades of Fananak.

So, is any of this reasonable?

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Hey, welcome to the board. Is it just me or does your name sound Icelandic?
vec

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

It's Old Norse, actually, so yeah, it basically is Icelandic. It doesn't mean anything special ("The Sword"), I just couldn't think of anything better at the time I registered.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

So, you're not a fellow Icelander?
vec

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

brandrinn wrote:It's Old Norse, actually, so yeah, it basically is Icelandic. It doesn't mean anything special ("The Sword"), I just couldn't think of anything better at the time I registered.
Really? It means "the sword"? I don't know why I'm not surprised... The Catalan verbs brandar, brandejar and brandir mean "to carry a sword in the hands and moving it threatening". :!:

BTW, welcome to the ZBB!!! :mrgreen:
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Izopiru wrote:
brandrinn wrote:It's Old Norse, actually, so yeah, it basically is Icelandic. It doesn't mean anything special ("The Sword"), I just couldn't think of anything better at the time I registered.
Really? It means "the sword"? I don't know why I'm not surprised... The Catalan verbs brandar, brandejar and brandir mean "to carry a sword in the hands and moving it threatening". :!:

BTW, welcome to the ZBB!!! :mrgreen:
:?
Brandur means sword, mostly used by RPGers nowadays though.
vec

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

vegfarandi wrote:Brandur means sword, mostly used by RPGers nowadays though.
Pardon my ignorance, Veg, but what's a RPGer?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

I figured Brand(r) in Norse was related to the English word brand, but I didn't know there were so many cognates. maybe this would make an interesting discussion in the linguistics forum.
[/tangent]

anyway, any thoughts on a Dhekhnami colony in the late 3400's? What form and history might it have?

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Something I just came up with about someone who RPs.

(RP = role play)
(RPG = role playing game)
vec

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

Izopiru wrote:
Really? It means "the sword"? I don't know why I'm not surprised... The Catalan verbs brandar, brandejar and brandir mean "to carry a sword in the hands and moving it threatening".
I suppose that must be related to the English word brandish, with the same meaning?

Welcome to the board!
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

I've studied just enough Old Norse to know that :D .

Anyway, welcome!
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Ahribar wrote:
Izopiru wrote:
Really? It means "the sword"? I don't know why I'm not surprised... The Catalan verbs brandar, brandejar and brandir mean "to carry a sword in the hands and moving it threatening".
I suppose that must be related to the English word brandish, with the same meaning?

Welcome to the board!
Catalan has lots of Germanic roots thanks to the barbarian invasions in the High Middle Ages, so I'm sure brandar, brandejar and brandir are related to some Germanic root. Anybody knows what is that root?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The root for all the words mentioned is Germanic *brandaz 'a flaming torch', by extension a sword. English brand, brandish, and brandy are all cognates. The PIE root is *bhreu- 'bubble, burn', with descendants including brew, bread, broth, broil, breed, breath, brawn. (These are all from the AHD, which skimps on IE forms that didn't produce English words.)

Anyway, Dhekhnami colonies. It's an interesting idea, but I think it goes pretty far against Dhekhnami practice-- they prefer contiguity, which allows a defense (or offense) in strength. The very idea that a colony could become independant would, from the ktuvoks' point of view, be unacceptable. On the other hand, their thinking might change in the coming centuries as Almea becomes a modern world.

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

zompist wrote:On the other hand, their thinking might change in the coming centuries as Almea becomes a modern world.
What kind of ideas do you have for Almea for its next, say, 200 years? Anything besides some of the monuments mentioned in the Civ II scenario, and, of course, the war between Verduria and Dhekhnam?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

war between Dhekhnam and Verduria? how do you figure?

seriously though, which multiple eretald-ktuvoki wars so far, maybe something different would be more interesting. perhaps another crisis would force a wary alliance between the two powers. or something...

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

brandrinn wrote:war between Dhekhnam and Verduria? how do you figure?
Zomp has mentioned this a few times as a likely possibility; the main factor is simply that the two are the most advanced, most significant states on Almea, in a position of direct competition, and with a (very) long history of mutual hostility. It's largely a matter of when.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Iscun wrote:What kind of ideas do you have for Almea for its next, say, 200 years?
If you could get to Almea right now, it would be Z.E. 3480. So I really don't worry much about what happens past that-- it's in the future. Besides, if I worked out Almean history to (say) 3680, people would just ask after the next two centuries.

This may change if I ever feel like writing an epic. The next novels I want to write, however, are in the Xurno of the Prose Wars, and in present-day Verduria.

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

Ah I see. Well, that's understandable. You have to stop somewhere.

So, how is the Historical Atlas of Arc?l coming? :)

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
brandrinn wrote:war between Dhekhnam and Verduria? how do you figure?
Zomp has mentioned this a few times as a likely possibility; the main factor is simply that the two are the most advanced, most significant states on Almea, in a position of direct competition, and with a (very) long history of mutual hostility. It's largely a matter of when.
sorry, i guess i wasn't displaying enough sarcasm; my point was that such a war would a really obvious (which i interpreted as unimaginative) option for the future. however, if Zompist (should i call him Mark?) has mentioned it, im sure he has some ideas to make it original, so maybe i spoke too soon.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Iscun wrote:Ah I see. Well, that's understandable. You have to stop somewhere.
Yes, but it should be at Z.E. 4480 :(

Oh, well, there are always the endless realms of alternate-history :mrgreen:

Aidan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aidan »

brandrinn wrote:my point was that such a war would a really obvious (which i interpreted as unimaginative) option for the future. however, if Zompist (should i call him Mark?) has mentioned it, im sure he has some ideas to make it original, so maybe i spoke too soon.
Well, sometimes in conworldry, obvious is unimaginative, and sometimes it's what would happen. Knowing the difference between the realistic and the cliche is one of the primary skills that goes into becoming a good conworlder, I think.