What's next

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

We usually alternate between calling him "Mark" and "Zomp". Zomp is a bit clearer, because there are probably other Mark's on this board.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Aidan wrote:Well, sometimes in conworldry, obvious is unimaginative, and sometimes it's what would happen. Knowing the difference between the realistic and the cliche is one of the primary skills that goes into becoming a good conworlder, I think.
I tend to agree; that's one of the aspects I'm still working on. :?

I usually alternate between calling our Boardlord "Zomp" and "Mark"; I probably use "Mark" more often, because I have a tendency to call at least some people by their real-life names--at least those whose RL names are reflected in their ZBB usernames (Jeff instead of jsburke, Gabor instead of gsandi, Hans-Werner instead of hwhatting, etc.).

p@,
Glenn

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

I don't like to agitate...

Post by Delthayre »

I tend to prefer, "Zompist," or, "Mister Rosenfelder," but it takes extended direct contact for me to break down and be casual, even on a deucing message board.

Now, I wait humbly and quietly patient for the grammar of Old Skourene.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Blackhand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Blackhand »

Brandrinn, I suggest that if you haven't yet, read the Historical Atlas. It really sets the tone for the era.

I don't really think a nation would ally with one when a fair number of its marriage ceremonies include a call to raise more warriors against the ktuvoki.

Sorry if I've offended you.
[quote]<Maknas> Run around the Arizona desert with a gun and claim you're fighting Al-Qaeda, that'll definitely make you known.[/quote]

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

blackhand wrote:Brandrinn, I suggest that if you haven't yet, read the Historical Atlas. It really sets the tone for the era.

I don't really think a nation would ally with one when a fair number of its marriage ceremonies include a call to raise more warriors against the ktuvoki.

Sorry if I've offended you.
I've read the historical atlas, and I even remember hearing the wedding verse about raising more children to fight the "demons." I was just trying to think of something different, all be it (as you pointed out) very unlikely.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Sorry if I offended you. I tweak out very, very easily on stuff like that. It's one of my major faults.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Let's divide stories into two parts: the plot and the predicament. The predicament is the overall situation: World War II, the War of the Ring, London Below, whatever. The plot is the actual story we weave about these things.

Originality is a good deal more important in plot than in predicament. If you pick up a Raymond Chandler you haven't read, you expect the twists and turns of the plot to surprise you; but you already know the predicament-- almost always it's some corruption among the well-off leaking down into mayhem and murder in the underworld. You might not even be pleased if, in the middle of the book, it shifted predicaments (say, it suddenly became an English drawing room mystery).

Dealing with the ktuvoks is a perennial predicament, but many different stories can be told about it. (A few short ones are in the Count of Years; Babblers is another; that epic would be another.)

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

brandrinn wrote:I've read the historical atlas, and I even remember hearing the wedding verse about raising more children to fight the "demons." I was just trying to think of something different, all be it (as you pointed out) very unlikely.
I know this is a nitpick, but you mean albeit.
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

wow, really? (looks it up) nice observation. i dont like it though, looks too much like "Albert."[/quote]

vlad
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vlad »

brandrinn wrote:
wow, really? (looks it up) nice observation. i dont like it though, looks too much like "Albert."
Funny that you spelt it based on the pronunciation. I've seen it written, but very rarely spoken.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

vlad wrote:
brandrinn wrote:
wow, really? (looks it up) nice observation. i dont like it though, looks too much like "Albert."
Funny that you spelt it based on the pronunciation.
And the etymology.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

pharazon wrote:
vlad wrote:
brandrinn wrote:
Funny that you spelt it based on the pronunciation.
And the etymology.
WRONG!

It's from although it be.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Re: I don't like to agitate...

Post by valinta »

Delthayre wrote:I tend to prefer, "Zompist," or, "Mister Rosenfelder," but it takes extended direct contact for me to break down and be casual, even on a deucing message board.

Now, I wait humbly and quietly patient for the grammar of Old Skourene.
I'm not sure whether to call him "Mark" or "Zomp" either...

Personally, I'm excited about seeing Axuna?in/Xurna?; something always drew me to that cultural sphere, from Wede:i on to the present.

Shm Churmey
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shm Churmey »

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing grammars of Axunašin and Xurnaš, and more cultural pages about these countries... Just to see if they're like I imagine them.

I tend to imagine something like the Netherlands, and some parts of Belgium and northern France.
I'm originally from Dunkirk, and I guess there are some common points: same climate, lots of canal and waterworks (though their primary purpose is to dry the lands, and transportation to some extent, not irrigation) even though the place is not really, say, artistic.

Xeon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xeon »

What about languages for the ic?lani, Zomp?