X

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

pharazon wrote:Also, <exit> = /EgzIt/.
I don't voice that sound in "exit" and similar words (and it always bothered me when other people did when they talked to me). Am I weird? :?

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

No.
Last edited by Nuntar on Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Echobeats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Echobeats »

Ahribar wrote:Mine too. I have a collection of all the different sounds I've seen it used for:
/ks/ /kS/ /x/ /G/ /X/ /X\/ /G\/ /?\/ /?/ /h/ /D/ /4/ /ts/ /dz/ /ts`/ /tS/ /s/ /z/ /Z/ /S/ /s\/ /C/ /c/ /|\|\/ and even /_?\/ when following a vowel...

Twenty-five....
If you'll count the Greek letter <X>, it was used in Classical times to represent [k_h] (it only became [x] later). It's not the Roman letter <X>, but since the Roman alphabet was borrowed from the Greek one, I think it ought to count!

(The version the Romans borrowed, the West Greek alphabet, had different values for some of the symbols from those in Athenian. West Greeks used <X> instead of <Ξ> for [ks], hence the Latin value of the letter.)
[i]Linguistics will become a science when linguists begin standing on one another's shoulders instead of on one another's toes.[/i]
—Stephen R. Anderson

[i]Málin eru höfuðeinkenni þjóðanna.[/i]
—Séra Tómas Sæmundsson

Echobeats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Echobeats »

valinta wrote:
I don't voice that sound in "exit" and similar words (and it always bothered me when other people did when they talked to me). Am I weird? :?
I say [eksit], but [IgzAmpl=]. Don't know why. Probably just 'cos it's the way I've always heard the word "example" pronounced.

Tim.
[i]Linguistics will become a science when linguists begin standing on one another's shoulders instead of on one another's toes.[/i]
—Stephen R. Anderson

—Séra Tómas Sæmundsson

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Hm, I pronounce x as ks there too. I wonder if this has anything to do with regional pronunciation differences in the US or if it's just something I do?

doctrellor
Sanci
Sanci

Post by doctrellor »

Yeah, /ks/ for me too

the /egzIt/ is really odd...but I could see it being "slurred" that way
Nilikuonyesha nyota (mwezi) na uliangalia kidole tu.
I pointed out to you the stars (the moon) and all you saw was the tip of my finger.

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

Both pronunciations are in use for "exit", but that with /gz/ is much more common for other words like "exist".

Congratulations on your 2000th post, Doc! Just one more now to become a Shalea.... at last! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Echobeats wrote:
valinta wrote:
I say [eksit], but [IgzAmpl=]. Don't know why. Probably just 'cos it's the way I've always heard the word "example" pronounced.

Tim.
Well, <exit> has the stress before the <x>, and <example> has it before. Maybe that's it?

Echobeats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Echobeats »

Jaaaaaa wrote:Well, <exit> has the stress before the <x>, and <example> has it [after]. Maybe that's it?
I thought of that, but then I remembered "exciting". Does anyone pronounce that with a [gz]? I've certainly never heard it. Though the <c> /s/ may be to blame for that. FYI, in my speech that's [I?_ksAItIN].

I can say "exhibit" either way, but I'd probably say it unvoiced more usually. "Exam" is most definitely [Igz{m] though.

Yours, Tim.
—Stephen R. Anderson

—Séra Tómas Sæmundsson

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Echobeats wrote:
Jaaaaaa wrote:Well, <exit> has the stress before the <x>, and <example> has it [after]. Maybe that's it?
I thought of that, but then I remembered "exciting". Does anyone pronounce that with a [gz]? I've certainly never heard it. Though the <c> /s/ may be to blame for that. FYI, in my speech that's [I?_ksAItIN].

I can say "exhibit" either way, but I'd probably say it unvoiced more usually. "Exam" is most definitely [Igz{m] though.

Yours, Tim.
Hmm... yeah, I forgot about <excite> and its kids. Though I still say it's stress-determined; I'm guessing that <excite> would be analyzed as /Ekssait/, but since English doesn't have phonemic /ss/... yeah. But it's just a theory.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Jaaaaaa wrote:Hmm... yeah, I forgot about <excite> and its kids. Though I still say it's stress-determined; I'm guessing that <excite> would be analyzed as /Ekssait/, but since English doesn't have phonemic /ss/... yeah. But it's just a theory.
Don't get mixed up with the orthography, it's just /Ek'sait/. For me, it's /gz/ pre-stress and /ks/ post-stress: 'execute' = /'Eks@kjut/, but 'executor' = /Egz'Ekj@tr/. Before <i> it's voiced no matter what, except in 'exile' and its derivatives I seem to have free variation. A following voiceless letter (except <h>) always renders it voiceless, and it's always /ks/ in the prefix ex- meaning 'former': 'ex-addict' = /Eks'{dIkt/. These rules only apply to initial <ex>; everywhere else I have /ks/ or /z/ (initially).

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Can I point out that /ks/ is two phonemes in English, not one. Ahribar implied that it was one.

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

finlay wrote:Can I point out that /ks/ is two phonemes in English, not one. Ahribar implied that it was one.
How can you point... when you have no fingers? *causes all of Finlay's fingers to melt together into one mass*
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

finlay wrote:Can I point out that /ks/ is two phonemes in English, not one. Ahribar implied that it was one.
No, I explicitly said that it's two. Read it again.

Nevertheless, it's annoying not to have a word for the behaviour of [ks] and [gz] if we're not allowed to say that they're a sort of allophone even though each is two phonemes.

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

I'd just like to announce that the Great List of Uses for <x> (see previous page) has now reached 40, including a vowel. It now really could be used to make an entire language......

All the debate over English [gz] proves to have been fruitless, as I managed to unearth a conlang in which <x> = /gz/ always. So that's now on the list too.
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

xxx x xxxxxxx x x x xxxxx xx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxx. x xxx x x x xxxxxxxx xx, xxxxx, xxxx- xx x xxxx xxx!

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Has anyone suggested that you add [] to your list of uses for <x>, cf. French deux?

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

No, because [] isn't the normal value of x in French; cf. existe. I only allow each language to contribute one value. (And yes, the /gz/ and /z/ on the list are from languages in which those are x's normal values.)

The nearest I've got is one language in which <x> is [z] beginning a word and [] ending one (no information on its value elsewhere). But unless I find that in this language x much more commonly occurs finally than initially, that still doesn't count for putting [] on the list.
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

this is really basic, so someone probably already mentioned this, but Mandarin (at least in pinyin) uses x for /s_j/
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Omniglot has /s\/ for that, which is on the list.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Ahribar wrote:No, because [] isn't the normal value of x in French; cf. existe. I only allow each language to contribute one value. (And yes, the /gz/ and /z/ on the list are from languages in which those are x's normal values.)

The nearest I've got is one language in which <x> is [z] beginning a word and [] ending one (no information on its value elsewhere). But unless I find that in this language x much more commonly occurs finally than initially, that still doesn't count for putting [] on the list.
But isn't French <x> final more often than not? At least, that's how it seems to me.

What crazy mofo uses <x> for a vowel???
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

Rory wrote:
Ahribar wrote:No, because [] isn't the normal value of x in French; cf. existe. I only allow each language to contribute one value. (And yes, the /gz/ and /z/ on the list are from languages in which those are x's normal values.)

But isn't French <x> final more often than not? At least, that's how it seems to me.
Not the point, dude. Lots of consonants are silenced when final in French, so it's obvious that what we have is an underlying phoneme with a rule silencing most final consonants, rather than <x> corresponding to the phoneme //.

In the language linked above, only <x> is silenced this way. As you'll see from the list, I eventually decided that this was enough to justify adding // -- since there isn't any underlying phoneme; <x> really is written and corresponds to no phoneme at all.
What crazy mofo uses <x> for a vowel???
con quesa used it for /i/ in a jokelang. I found the language using it for /@/ on langmaker (it's not a ZBB lang) but it doesn't seem that crazy.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Sander said in #almea that he's used it for I. Not sure if that means /i/ or /I/ or something else.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Xephyr wrote:Omniglot has /s\/ for that, which is on the list.
A month late, but yes, Mandarin <x> is /s\/.

vohpenonomae
N'guny
N'guny

Post by vohpenonomae »

zompist wrote:Don't take the country boundaries on the Arc?l map too seriously; I haven't worked out its history at all.
Don't say you haven't worked it out; say you haven't found out yet. ;)
"On that island lies the flesh and bone of the Great Charging Bear, for as long as the grass grows and water runs," he said. "Where his spirit dwells, no one can say."