Gdeoni

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
ClearThinkingMind
Niš
Niš

Gdeoni

Post by ClearThinkingMind »

In the Count of Years, the gdeoni are prtrayed as having the trees brush against there feet. Are they really that tall, or is that just an exageration on the Cuzeians' part? Are they twelve foot, as I imagine them? Or are they the hundred-footers described in the Count of Years? Curious.

Thank you

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Gdeoni

Post by Glenn »

ClearThinkingMind wrote:In the Count of Years, the gdeoni are prtrayed as having the trees brush against there feet. Are they really that tall, or is that just an exageration on the Cuzeians' part? Are they twelve foot, as I imagine them? Or are they the hundred-footers described in the Count of Years? Curious.

Thank you
Well, I don't think that there is an absolute answer to the question of the gdeoni (or, for that matter, whether they even existed), although the "scientific" take on the question seems to point to your own view.

Much of the Count of Years is ancient myth, rather than history as such, although the one blurs into the other. As Mark notes in the Commentary to Part 2, the size of the Giants in Cuezian legend varies, from tall as mountains to not much larger than humans, depending on the needs of the story.

In his essay on the intelligent species of Almea, which is more scientific (so to speak) in character, Mark speculates that the real gdeoni may have been beings "twice the height of a man." This seems more reasonable, but once again, we don't know the answer for sure; Mark presents some ideas, but leaves the question open. (For the most part, Almea follows the laws of the universe as we know it, but "magical" powers and beings certainly exist as well...)

p@,
Glenn

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Glenn's Almeology is impeccable as usual. I'll just note that the lack of a scale is an imitation of actual medieval points of view. It's a modern habit to expect that rare beings pick a height and stick to it.

ClearThinkingMind
Niš
Niš

Post by ClearThinkingMind »

Thank you. That clears things up a bit.