For a Newcomer to Almea

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Ghost
Lebom
Lebom

For a Newcomer to Almea

Post by Ghost »

Embarrasingly, I must admit I haven't read much of VV. In fact, the stuff I have read was such a long time I might as well have read none of it. So... for me, and anyone else who's a relative newcomer to Almea, in what order should I read the pages? What's best to start with and what should I leave until last?

Thanks,
Zak :)

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Re: For a Newcomer to Almea

Post by Warmaster »

Ghost wrote:Embarrasingly, I must admit I haven't read much of VV. In fact, the stuff I have read was such a long time I might as well have read none of it. So... for me, and anyone else who's a relative newcomer to Almea, in what order should I read the pages? What's best to start with and what should I leave until last?

Thanks,
I'll answer my opinion: the atlas. i spent months reading through all that! though make sure you have a decent resolution to get the commentary in. 8)
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

Kolya
Niš
Niš

Post by Kolya »

Warmaster wrote:
Ghost wrote:Embarrasingly, I must admit I haven't read much of VV. In fact, the stuff I have read was such a long time I might as well have read none of it. So... for me, and anyone else who's a relative newcomer to Almea, in what order should I read the pages? What's best to start with and what should I leave until last?

Thanks,
I'll answer my opinion: the atlas. i spent months reading through all that! though make sure you have a decent resolution to get the commentary in. 8)
Months? How did that take you months? I did it over the course of a friday evening and a saturday. Maybe I'm just crazy and do things until a finish them (though, I highly doubt that's true in most respects)
[quote="aardwolf"]
I'd lay off words like "exude" and "aura" (especially in the same sentence) in order to +1 your machoness.[/quote]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

There's a reason the culture test and Visitor's Guide are at the top of the page, you know. :)

After that, the drilldown is designed to be a short introduction to the planet, and to Verduria in particular.

And after that, it depends on what you like. With this crowd, it's usually the languages. For outsiders, the stories may be more accessible. And I can't fault Warmaster's choice of the atlas. :)

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Warmaster »

i did say months for a reason - i kept rereading it. 8)

Then i finally went through the count of years, which was very good fun as well. i also printed off effect/counter effect to read on the bus. i desprately want more stories though! (hint at babblers)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Warmaster wrote:i desprately want more stories though! (hint at babblers)
Start saving your money. :) If I can't find a publisher I intend to self-publish Babblers, but not to distribute it free...

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

zompist wrote:
Start saving your money. :) If I can't find a publisher I intend to self-publish Babblers, but not to distribute it free...
I'd buy it.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Warmaster »

zompist wrote:
i didn't say free, i'm very willing to pay cause i know the content will be good. and if self publishing is the way you have to go, well, i'll still buy it!

Ghost
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ghost »

Warmaster wrote:
zompist wrote:
i didn't say free, i'm very willing to pay cause i know the content will be good. and if self publishing is the way you have to go, well, i'll still buy it!
If it was self-published, would it make it to Europe? Or would we have to order it from America?

How many publishers have you tried, Mark?

Ghost :)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Ghost wrote:If it was self-published, would it make it to Europe? Or would we have to order it from America?
I don't know yet what distribution channels are realistic. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be orderable through my site.
All the ones that accept unagented submissions, plus a few agents. :(

I was hoping to use my between-jobs time to get an agent, but the time got eaten up by house projects and moving. I aim to get back to it once things settle down.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

zompist wrote:All the ones that accept unagented submissions, plus a few agents. :(
I've been meaning to ask you. (Maybe I've already asked this, but if so, I've forgotten, sorry!) Have you tried publishing excerpts of the MS? One common way to give a book more "weight" when you send it to a publisher is to release pieces of it in small journals -- that way, it's already got some publishing history behind it when it lands an the editor's desk, and they're a lot likelier to actually read it.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

zompist wrote:
I know this might sound weird, but have you tried submitting it to publishers outside the US? IIRC Brian Stableford couldn't get published in the UK when he started out so he sent it to the US (or possibly Canada, I forget) and publishers there virtually snatched the manuscript out of his hand. Same story with Katharine Kerr, I think, only the other way round.

Naturally, if you do approach a UK publisher first and get accepted that means we'd get Babblers over here first, which would be a Very Good Thing :D
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Warmaster »

Dewrad wrote:
zompist wrote:
I know this might sound weird, but have you tried submitting it to publishers outside the US? IIRC Brian Stableford couldn't get published in the UK when he started out so he sent it to the US (or possibly Canada, I forget) and publishers there virtually snatched the manuscript out of his hand. Same story with Katharine Kerr, I think, only the other way round.

Naturally, if you do approach a UK publisher first and get accepted that means we'd get Babblers over here first, which would be a Very Good Thing :D
Seconded! its rare we get anything first, but to get babblers would be supremely good.

of course, i will be willing to wait :wink: