Tell me, Mr. Rosenfelder

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Tell me, Mr. Rosenfelder

Post by Space Dracula »

When did you start learning French? Is it your first second language?

Besides that, what else do you speak to a reasonable level of fluency? I would imagine Spanish, and to at least some extent Quechua.

Since you haven't responded to any of the "omgz lolz what langauges u speek!?!?" threads, I thought I'd ask here.
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Tell me, Mr. Rosenfelder

Post by Xephyr »

Space Dracula wrote:Since you haven't responded to any of the "omgz lolz what langauges u speek!?!?" threads, I thought I'd ask here.
IIRC, he responded to the first one.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

I believe he speaks Russian to some extent, but i may be wasting my time if Xephyr is right.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Xephyr is right. Unfortunately I can't find the link.

And Spacey, this is in the wrong forum. This has nothing to do with Almea (although I will concede it is more likely to get Mark's attention here).
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

this IS the right forum, Rory, because whatever languages Zomp knows, chances are Verdurian is a hodge-podge of all of them.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

brandrinn wrote:this IS the right forum, Rory, because whatever languages Zomp knows, chances are Verdurian is a hodge-podge of all of them.
No, this forum is for
Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
So technically the correct place for this is NOTA, probably. Not that I have a problem with it being here, I'm just making a point.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

brandrinn wrote:this IS the right forum, Rory, because whatever languages Zomp knows, chances are Verdurian is a hodge-podge of all of them.
You, sir, have insulted Mr. Rosenfelder's honor!

*removes glove and slaps Brandrinn in the face with it, then hurls it to the floor*

I challenge you to a duel!

Okay, but back on topic, I'm interested in the answer too.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Whimemsz wrote:
You, sir, have insulted Mr. Rosenfelder's honor!

*removes glove and slaps Brandrinn in the face with it, then hurls it to the floor*

I challenge you to a duel!

Okay, but back on topic, I'm interested in the answer too.
so am i, i didn't mean to be insulting in the least. but Verdurian does show evidence that he knows at least a little about Russian, French, Spanish, etc. i wonder if there's any Quechua in it (or his newer creatures, more likely).

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Oh.

*backs slowly from the room*

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Yeah, that's right, you dirty animal-fucker...

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I?m pretty sure Mark knows Russian.

Tupu
Niš
Niš

Post by Tupu »

I think Mark also knows abit of Mandarin because I remember reading a thread about Chinese posted by Ran where Mark was saying something about how he was learning Chinese using a taped-book course and he found the voice of the girl in the tape really cute. :) Anyway, those might not be his exact words but something along those lines.

Ghost
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ghost »

Rory wrote:Xephyr is right. Unfortunately I can't find the link.
It'll have been pruned yonks ago.

Ghost :roll:
[url=http://www.emalaith.com/census.html]ZBB Census 2006[/url]

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

(Morning here--Happy New Year's again, everyone!)

That thread was probably pruned, but I have a fairly good recollection of what it said; since Mark's not around, I'll offer my shot.

Mark's native language is English, of course; as I recall, he said that he had a good command of French, as well as Spanish (his wife's native language); fairly good Portugese; and he had also studied Russian, Quechua, and Japanese, at least--those were the main languages he mentioned.

Of course, Mark's linguistic enquiries have touched on quite a few other languages--I did note the Mandarin comment cited above.

Some of the Almean languages do draw on real-world langs; Verdurian, which was begun at the very start of Mark's conworlding (way back in '78 ), was indeed based heavily on Russian and French (and, I believe, Latin), and still shows its roots. Other languages are are less natlang-based: Kebreni and Barakhinei apparently borrow a little from Japanese, and Flaidish drew on Hungarian. However, all of Mark's languages include a great deal of original material and synthesis; Elkaril in particular impresses me as a work of great linguistic creativity and uniqueness. 8)

p@,
Glenn

vohpenonomae
N'guny
N'guny

Post by vohpenonomae »

Glenn Kempf wrote:Some of the Almean languages do draw on real-world langs; Verdurian, which was begun at the very start of Mark's conworlding (way back in '78 ), was indeed based heavily on Russian and French (and, I believe, Latin), and still shows its roots. Other languages are are less natlang-based: Kebreni and Barakhinei apparently borrow a little from Japanese, and Flaidish drew on Hungarian. However, all of Mark's languages include a great deal of original material and synthesis; Elkaril in particular impresses me as a work of great linguistic creativity and uniqueness. 8)
Some of Mark's languages also show trace influence from American languages; Elkaril phonology, e.g., has some Quechua in it, and Flaidish I believe has an obviative (which, apparently, is unique to Algic).
"On that island lies the flesh and bone of the Great Charging Bear, for as long as the grass grows and water runs," he said. "Where his spirit dwells, no one can say."

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Glenn's memory is excellent as always. I'd have to distinguish, however, between languages that I've studied (even extensively) and those that I'm comfortable saying I know. Japanese falls in the first category. And Alaunpaya's right about Mandarin, though I'm way behind in my studies.

Quite a few languages have gone into Almean languages, without me knowing them-- e.g. Hungarian for Flaidish. There's also little borrowings that you'd have to have quite a library to suspect... e.g. the Dyirbal word in Verdurian, or the Hausa borrowing in Flaidish...

There's quite a lot of borrowing from Quechua, but it didn't all end up in one language-- it's affected quite a number of Almean languages.

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

zompist wrote:Glenn's memory is excellent as always.
Splendid. Do you ever speak much Spanish or Quechua at home? (Assuming your wife speaks some Quechua, which I think I've heard she does--one of many uses for a wife besides territory for Civ2).

My Academic Team coach is the school's main Spanish teacher and also speaks French well enough to read books in it. I've heard him speak Portuguese before, too, which I found more esthetically pleasing than either Spanish or French. I suppose once you start in on the Romance languages, they kind of domino after the first one or two.
There's also little borrowings that you'd have to have quite a library to suspect... e.g. the Dyirbal word in Verdurian, or the Hausa borrowing in Flaidish...
Those deserve a right big O_o.
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Space Dracula wrote:Splendid. Do you ever speak much Spanish or Quechua at home? (Assuming your wife speaks some Quechua, which I think I've heard she does--one of many uses for a wife besides territory for Civ2).
We speak some Spanish and also Portuguese at home, though mostly English. She knows a large amount of Quechua words, but not the language itself-- much as an English speaker knows a huge number of French words but may not know that he knows them.
I've heard him speak Portuguese before, too, which I found more esthetically pleasing than either Spanish or French. I suppose once you start in on the Romance languages, they kind of domino after the first one or two.
I love the sound of both French and Portuguese. And you're quite right about the dominos, so long as you can keep the lexicons separate. It's not a problem for me, but many people report trouble.

vlad
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vlad »

zompist wrote: There's also little borrowings that you'd have to have quite a library to suspect... e.g. the Dyirbal word in Verdurian, or the Hausa borrowing in Flaidish....
I went searching for the Dyirbal word, until I discovered that I'd had Dyirbal confused with Dharuk. Dammit. Why can't you've used a lang I actually have information on? :P

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Zomp, what sound changes are applied, if any, to the Dyirbal word? it might narrow things down a bit if we know to only look for words that have no voiceless consonant.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

brandrinn wrote:Zomp, what sound changes are applied, if any, to the Dyirbal word? it might narrow things down a bit if we know to only look for words that have no voiceless consonant.
Hmm. It'll be pretty easy to recognize. No unfair transformations.

vlad
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vlad »

zompist wrote:
brandrinn wrote:Zomp, what sound changes are applied, if any, to the Dyirbal word? it might narrow things down a bit if we know to only look for words that have no voiceless consonant.
I bet it's boomerang.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

vlad wrote:
zompist wrote:
I bet it's boomerang.
Maybe, except boomerang isn't Dyirbal.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

vlad
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vlad »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
vlad wrote:
zompist wrote:
I bet it's boomerang.
Maybe, except boomerang isn't Dyirbal.
Shit. I got it confused with Dharuk again.

Tupu
Niš
Niš

Post by Tupu »

Where exactly in Australia is the traditional homeland of the Dyirbal speakers? Does anyone here know? There's actually a big grammar book of Dyirbal at my university library, and I kind of remember that it's around the Cairns area up in far north Queensland. But I might be wrong.

Also, as far as I know, the first Aboriginal people with whom the first Europeans made contact was the Guugu Yimidhir tribe who lived around the Cooktown area. And the very familiar English words like kangaroo, koala, wallaby come from the Guugu Yimidhir language. So boomerang may have come from it as well and not Dyirbal.

It's kind of stupid how the European colonisers first presumed that all the natives spoke a single language (one language in this vast island continent, c'mon? :roll: ). Anyway, when the colonisers went down from north Queensland to an area much further south which was later to become the town of Sydney, they used the handful of Guugu Yimidhir words which they'd written down to communicate with the local tribes there. And the tribes in the Sydney area actually thought those words were from English. And they mistakenly assumed the word kangaroo to mean all four-legged animals. :?

Geez...Australia has come a long way since those days.