Public Restrooms in Me?aic Realms...

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Cypresstwo
Niš
Niš

Public Restrooms in Me?aic Realms...

Post by Cypresstwo »

Me?aism wrote:The Ezičimi considered that there were not two sexes but three: men, women, and ewemi.
So... at a Xurnese lavatory, are there three separate rooms? :P

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

If there's segregated lavatories at all, yes.

('Xurnese' is an anachronism, though a forgivable one-- Xurno no longer follows Meshaism.)

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

I like that idea of ewemi. Though it fell into deep sexism, which I cannot support, it could have become something special if sexism would have stopped, leaving still the three sexes of Meshaism of Axunai.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Yiuel wrote:I like that idea of ewemi. Though it fell into deep sexism, which I cannot support, it could have become something special if sexism would have stopped, leaving still the three sexes of Meshaism of Axunai.
One of the interesting things such as this is that it shows that Almea isn't necessarily easily deciperable on the lines that we're used to. We tend to make assumptions, for example, that less advanced cultures than our own are more sexist. But Verduria, as well as other areas of Almea are potentially both more sexist and more enlightened then us at any given time; the prisms of view are just different.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

So Haleza Grise wrote:One of the interesting things such as this is that it shows that Almea isn't necessarily easily deciperable on the lines that we're used to. We tend to make assumptions, for example, that less advanced cultures than our own are more sexist. But Verduria, as well as other areas of Almea are potentially both more sexist and more enlightened then us at any given time; the prisms of view are just different.
Try explaining this to... certain people here, not to mEddyntion any names. *sigh*

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I don?t think you can segregate holes in the ground.

Piero
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Piero »

Who are the ewemi
If you think that pride is about nationality, you're wrong

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

Piero Lo Monaco wrote:Who are the ewemi
Read the pertinent article: http://www.zompist.com/meshaism.htm#three.
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I like how Mark Rosenfeld has recognized that gender is a social construct. He has taken this overlooked fact and made a clever satire of gender r?les. For all his flaws, I must say, he deserves my congradulation there.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

What's the sex ratio of males to females among the ewemi? I'd be guessing there'd be more males if we had a system like that in our world, but maybe no?
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Mercator wrote:What's the sex ratio of males to females among the ewemi? I'd be guessing there'd be more males if we had a system like that in our world, but maybe no?
It was about equal in earlier times-- a fifth of each sex-- but in the time of Axunai about a third of males were ewemi, reflecting the importance of ewemi in the power structure.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Eddy the Great wrote:I like how Mark Rosenfeld has recognized that gender is a social construct. He has taken this overlooked fact and made a clever satire of gender r?les. For all his flaws, I must say, he deserves my congradulation there.
In the name of Porky Pig, Eddy.

Go away.

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Tests of things that no one cares about anymore

Post by Delthayre »

I've often imagined that a considerable number of people on this board would have been counted as Ewemi. I would certainly not be suited to the traditional role of an Ezičimi man.

The rough comparison of Ewemi to nerds (dorks, geeks, et cetera) certainly seems to fit. Modern society certainly seems to encourage them toward congealing together in insular groups. All though this seems weaker now than it may have been, or at least weaker than it's potrayed in most movies.
Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Eddy the Great wrote:I like how Mark Rosenfeld has recognized that gender is a social construct. He has taken this overlooked fact and made a clever satire of gender r?les. For all his flaws, I must say, he deserves my congradulation there.
In the name of Porky Pig, Eddy.

Go away.
Jar Jar, I wish you wouldn't leap on these sorts of things so often. Both Mr. Rosenfelder and Mercator had the sense to just ignore Eddy's silly remark. I mean, really, what more can this do than just get the assinine cycle going again. It's really not helping and it tends to sometimes make your demeanor seem needlessly unpleasant.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

While we're at it: Mark, you said earlier that the ewemi would try everything to hide their biological gender, but since hey apparently tended to have their relationships among each other- don't you think that at least for the non-bisexual ones among them, the biological sex of their fellow ewemi did matter, no matter how much they denied it, so that they would have had some kind of informal slang terms for "biologically male ewemi" and "biologically female ewemi"?
did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

Brel
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Tests of things that no one cares about anymore

Post by Brel »

Delthayre wrote:I've often imagined that a considerable number of people on this board would have been counted as Ewemi.
Hah, quite right. Especially when you consider the results of that butch/femme test :wink:

Even though I haven't studied too much Almea (just a couple days ago I decided to change that and am reading slowly through the huge amounts of information Zomp has put up on the site 8)), the ewemi are my favorite part of it so far, perhaps because they remind me so much of myself, at least the attributes they had: nerdiness, bookishness, etc.

So, Zomp, does your answer to the original question mean they didn't usually segregate restrooms? If so, what did your average Axunai bathroom look like?

And, to add to Raphael's question, were any ewemi ever actually made sexless, either by their will or by law?
Io wrote:Seriously, do you take it as an obligation to be the sort of cunt you are?

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Last edited by Jar Jar Binks on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Euskera wrote:So, Zomp, does your answer to the original question mean they didn't usually segregate restrooms?
It means I'm not sure if public lavatories were segregated; and that's because I don't know if they were in comparable societies on earth.
And, to add to Raphael's question, were any ewemi ever actually made sexless, either by their will or by law?
Probably-- history is long, and there's room for all sorts of oddities. They would have been odd from a mainstream Axunemi point of view too.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote:While we're at it: Mark, you said earlier that the ewemi would try everything to hide their biological gender, but since hey apparently tended to have their relationships among each other- don't you think that at least for the non-bisexual ones among them, the biological sex of their fellow ewemi did matter, no matter how much they denied it, so that they would have had some kind of informal slang terms for "biologically male ewemi" and "biologically female ewemi"?
There may well be, similar to terms that we use to express particular preferences (e.g. for hair color). But I think that the question tends to presuppose a terrestrial mindset-- it's a little like asking "Wouldn't people really keep dividing the world into male and female, as I do?" And the general answer is no, they don't divide up things that way.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

What? I offered him a compliment. Just because you don't like the content of it doesn't make me stupid. Why aren't you attacking Mark? He's the one that made the idea based on the theory that gender is a social construct. If you object to that theory, you should take it up with him, not me.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Sex (and so, by extension, gender) can influence a lot the devellopment of a society. It is a large part of my "conculturing".

Biologically, all Taasaweans have no particular bias for sexual desire : their only "sexual goal" is to experience contact. Hence, they can have deep pleasure with anybody, as long as the contact is pleasant. They hence do not distinguish between homosexuality and heterosexuality : it is irrelevant. They will bind themselves to a male-female couple though to have children and have a family. This gave a lot of power to the women, who are those who give birth. They are the one protected, they are the one who rules the country : men are mere solciers and workers. (Notice that the diphormism is not strong for Taasaweans, and they share about the same strength. men being only slightly tougher, and women slightly more graceful.) It can appear in traditional dressing : a man's dressing is tied up everywhere where a woman's dressing is generally free of ties. Yet, because the difference aren't that strong, they do not have very strong gender categories. The ruling of women is not that strong as it seems. All this, with a natural bisexuality will help having no deep sexism.

My human conculture has about the same thing, though they have the sexual bias and make use of it more deeply (even according to our standards). And they have no sexism at all : seeing a man in a dress wouldn't be uncommon (if dresses were popular... yet, they aren't, people favoring more divided clothes)
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Eddy the Great wrote:If you object to that theory
I don't.