The Almean Name Thread

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

The Almean Name Thread

Post by Neek »

So I've decided, perhaps we should catalogue what our names might be were we all Almeans, and specifically what we might be called depending on what nation we hail from.

In Verdurian, I called myself before N?colo Pigre, but truer to my name would be Gn N?colo R??erei ?ternacey. Though I'm not a fan of my pirei, I think I can do with it (or without. my mirei would simply be Lilli?i).

Were I Barakhinei, I'd be Nikolo Rosh?ro, and if Ismahi uses the nom and the pizris, I'd be Nikol Rojris.

When we touch into Cadhinorian and Cuezi--names that lack of Eled interaction, I might have to either back-form my name (Nicolos), or back-translate from the components--Victory-people of Famed Spear, or Vencicgenos Londespuilei. Even in Cadhinas I have a tiring name... Cuezi suggests monologous names, so perhaps just Enam?sias Ayizigo, still lengthy.

There is no articles yet on names for Axuna?in or the Kebri (Wede:i names seem rather easy, but I will not try it just yet--as with the Elkar?l). Flaidish names seem to want more thought put in--rather than just the components of my name overlayed in, so I'll have to get back on those...

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

If I'm doing everything correctly, I'd be Icovo Řistei Bulondom in Verdurian. Don't ask me to try the others ... one language is quite enough.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Ďan?l Ihanei Ihaney, in my case.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

My given name "Gregory" comes from Greek and means something like "watchful one". Assuming I translated correctly, in Verdurian that'd be Leleneotene.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

A phonetic version would be something like "Uaren", not much fun.

If I go by the source of my name, Warren = Enclosure (according to behindthename.com), then in Verdurian the equivalent would be "Sitana." The closest name I could find phonetically in the Verdurian name list was "Vereon", and the closest word phonetically was "uran." Interestingly, I can combine the word for outside, "uer" with the name Ana to get "Uerana." So possible Verdurian names could be:

Sitana
Vereon
Uran
Uerana

I think I'll go with Sitana. Onward

My last name, "Miller" seems to correspond to "Grogec" so there's the family name. Now for the pirei. I translated Donald (world-ruler) as Alrion. So, my full Verdurian name would be, I believe, "Sitana Alrionei Grogec."
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

My verdurian name would be :

Fantom Ivei Ad'etonulae
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

Hm... I'll give it a try.

The equivalent of 'Christopher' seems to be 'Řisto'. My father's name was Wilton, which is ...complicated, so I'll stick to 'Uiltonei', and I have absolutely no idea what my last name means, so I'll have to transcibe it too... so my name is

Řisto Uiltonei Ha?

Not too exciting.
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

This is my first post in the Almea forum! :)

(Most Unicode characters don't want to show up for me, so I'm making do here... for some mysterious reason ? is an exception.)

In Verdurian I think I'd be Gavr?l Dhavidei Delh. (Delh is the closest thing to my father's last name in sound and spelling on the Verdurian ?enati list; it isn't glossed, but then I don't know what my father's last name means either). If I used my mother's name instead (I have a hyphenated last name), I might have the mirei Mari?i and the ?enata Obadeon or Obadey.

It looks like in Isma?n I'd be Gravel Zavizes (that <l> should have a slash), and in Barakhinei something like Gavrel Dhavido.

I don't know enough to translate my first name (which means something like "man of God" or "God's strong one") accurately into Cadhinor roots; Aidhom doesn't seem quite right. In Cu?zi it looks like it might be Nu:mipomas or something similar.

I chose Corumayas from the Cu?zi lexicon, where it's said to be a man's name meaning "harmony"; I was looking for something music-related, though I'm not sure it really means harmony in that sense.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

I tried to name myself in Flaidish but got stuck because my surname - Burr - means a sticky weed, and I couldn't find an equivalent in the lexicon. So I just chose Mornche (firstborn girl) and Geddick (straightforward).

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

Where are you all finding thi s information on names?
Kuku-kuku kaki kakak kakekku kaku kaku.
'the toenails of my grandfather's elder brother are stiff'

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Matt wrote:Where are you all finding thi s information on names?
In the grammars of most languages, they have their own section.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

yufu
Niš
Niš

Post by yufu »

Icovo Dičines Uselen comes pretty close, I guess. Plus, I hate it when my names in other languages come out as obviously foreign, so I wasn't going to pick anything based on phonetics.
渔夫

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Hmmm. Well, to start with the easiest, my dad's name is John so my pirei would be Ioannei.

My surname is, of all things, Lithuanian and means "hot or sultry". I note that the Verdurian word for "humid", calse?ue, appears to be composed of the words for "hot" and "wet", so that's what I'll go with; -ey ending, because I am female, becomes Calse?uea.

Then there's my given name, Carrie, which is a nickname of a woman's name (Caroline) which is the feminine of a name (Carolus) which was the Latinization of an Old English name, Charles, meaning "strong, manly". I could just go with zol, "strong" as a feminine name with a nickname ending from the list; this gives me Zola?a. Or I could use Cu?zi manie "powerful" as a name Manios, which fits Cadhinor phonological constraints well enough, sound-change it down into Verdurian to Manzh?. This makes a feminine as Man?a, and adds the same nickname-forming element as above, as Man?a?a. I think I like it better, too.

Man?a?a Ioannei Calse?uea. I'm sure I did something wrong somewhere...

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

I think my Verdurian name would be Mateo Řegorei Maranhey. I just picked the ?enata that sounded most similar to my last name, since I didn't see one for 'husband', which is the source of my last name.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Neon Fox wrote:Hmmm. Well, to start with the easiest, my dad's name is John so my pirei would be Ioannei.
Make that Ihanei; 'John' has an established Verdurian form, Ihano.

And con quesa, I'd probably translate 'watchful' as Cumbeme or Pserec.

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

Can a ?enata be derived from any existing word? I'd like to make one derived from the same meaning ('husband') as my real last name.

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

zompist wrote:
Neon Fox wrote:Hmmm. Well, to start with the easiest, my dad's name is John so my pirei would be Ioannei.
Make that Ihanei; 'John' has an established Verdurian form, Ihano.
Whoops, must have missed that in the list. :)

Is my derivation of "Carrie" plausible?

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

There's disagreement on the exact meaning of "Eric". The -ric is easy enough; it comes from the same place as Reich, rex, etc. The first part, however, may mean "honored" or "[all-]powerful". So I'm thinking maybe "Gr?sorion" for the nom. If that is not a real name in Verdurian then I'll go with "Getemil", which is close enough.

My father's name is Michael, which fortunately has a Verdurian cognate, so my purei would be Mihelei.

As for the ?enata, from what I've been able to gather, my last name (McGill) means, roughly, son of the servant (or devotee). Apparently, it used to combine with other names (Mac Giolla [some other name]), but that has apparently been lost by now. But at any rate, I'm going to go with "Snucay" from the list of ?enati.

So, unless I've made some mistakes (which is quite possible), I'm either Gr?sorion Mihelei Snucay or Getemil Mihelei Snucay. Fun fun

(Also, zomp: a couple of errors in the list of ?enati. "Mlake" includes the translation in the bolding, and a few lines down there's a name listed as "M&?sey".)

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

My name cannot be translated into Verdurian as it seems. I can't find Christian (from which Carsten is derived) on the names page of the Verdurian grammar - that's the only place I've looked, though. Also, there's no glosse meaning wolf, which would be part of my patronymic.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

In Verdurian: Ihano Ďemečei Samirey. Like Matt, I went with the most similar-sounding ?enata I could find, since my surname would be hard to translate.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Piero
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Piero »

guitarplayer wrote:My name cannot be translated into Verdurian as it seems. I can't find Christian (from which Carsten is derived) on the names page of the Verdurian grammar
Cause Christian derives from the name of Jesus Christ, and verdurian are not cattolic. However, i think "christian" or "carsten" would be something derived from "eledhe", which is God's name in verdurian belief
If you think that pride is about nationality, you're wrong

Uitlander
Niš
Niš

Post by Uitlander »

I'm guessing Rasfol?e as an adjective for 'beloved', but I am probably wrong. Or, is there an established Verdurian form for David? Perhaps, Veaďul 'loved'?
Last edited by Uitlander on Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They're just words...they don't control us!
[i]-Dane Cook[/i]

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

The Verdurian form is Ďav?d. See http://www.zompist.com/names.htm#Eleniki for names derived from Elenico names (Greek, mostly biblical).

Uitlander
Niš
Niš

Post by Uitlander »

*scroll, scroll you must learn to scroll!!!! (Star Wars humor) :D
They're just words...they don't control us!
[i]-Dane Cook[/i]

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Piero Lo Monaco wrote:
guitarplayer wrote:My name cannot be translated into Verdurian as it seems. I can't find Christian (from which Carsten is derived) on the names page of the Verdurian grammar
Cause Christian derives from the name of Jesus Christ, and verdurian are not cattolic. However, i think "christian" or "carsten" would be something derived from "eledhe", which is God's name in verdurian belief
You could, or you could use Řistise--which is more or less the same derivation of Christian.