Skourene Historical Atlas, Flash Style

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Skourene Historical Atlas, Flash Style

Post by Neek »

Just saw it pop up on the RSS feed and give it a whirl. It looks amazing, a great use of layers and so forth. But, obviously it's not done. I get redirected to a 404 - Time Frame Not Found when I click History, and clicking "Stepped" causing the animation to kick me out fast.

Otherwise... good job!

Kolya
Niš
Niš

Post by Kolya »

It's so pretty.
[quote="aardwolf"]
I'd lay off words like "exude" and "aura" (especially in the same sentence) in order to +1 your machoness.[/quote]

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

It is. It looks fabulous. I think I'll go ahead and start reading what the Historical Atlas already says about it and see how this compares...

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

What is done is brilliant.

Much congratulation to Lord Zompist.

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Yay! my favorite bit of almea history gets upgraded!

keep it up Zomp, i'd like to plow through this lots and lots! 8)
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Skourene Historical Atlas, Flash Style

Post by zompist »

Neek wrote:Just saw it pop up on the RSS feed and give it a whirl. It looks amazing, a great use of layers and so forth. But, obviously it's not done. I get redirected to a 404 - Time Frame Not Found when I click History, and clicking "Stepped" causing the animation to kick me out fast.
Danged Flash and danged ISP. I think (crossing fingers) these two problems are fixed.

The commentary tries to open up in a window called "commentary". Occasionally it replaces the atlas instead of creating a new window; I think this happens when I've been re-using a commentary window for browsing. I'm not sure if there's a fix for this; but if it happens to you, just open the swf file in a different browser window.

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Excellent!

N?vazhin!
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Just finished reading the first part of the history--thank you very much! 8) I've often thought that the Skorene cities were reminiscent of the classical Greek states in some respects (although not in climate, admittedly), and this element comes through quite clearly. I found the discussions of political systems and religion particularly interesting, and I look forward to seeing how both develop as the atlas progresses.

(Coincidentally, it also gave me a few thoughts and ideas regarding a similar people in my own consetting... :) )

I also finally cycled through the existing portion of the maps. For me, as for Neek, the "Stepped" button kicks the animation of the map into ultra-fast mode (although you can click on a year in the menu to make it stop). In addition, I also discovered the rather gory consequences of trying to look too far ahead. :wink:

p@,
Glenn

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Aszev wrote:Excellent!
What he said.
Elinam manaraiy?ng.

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

Glenn wrote:I also discovered the rather gory consequences of trying to look too far ahead. :wink:

p@,
Glenn
Would that be the warrior taking the other guy's head off? It made me laugh so much! :P
Last edited by krinnen on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie Anderson wrote:Writing about music is like dancing about architecture

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

The animated atlas is wicked cool. Question, though: I'm not sure which period in history is represented by the "cities" layer; are we assuming these are the cities as of the early Classical era?
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

ils wrote:Question, though: I'm not sure which period in history is represented by the "cities" layer; are we assuming these are the cities as of the early Classical era?
I was too lazy to have the cities layer update over time. It's the same labels throughout. (I dunno, maybe I'll change that.)

doctrellor
Sanci
Sanci

Post by doctrellor »

Dude, that was soo cool!

great use of layers...
Nilikuonyesha nyota (mwezi) na uliangalia kidole tu.
I pointed out to you the stars (the moon) and all you saw was the tip of my finger.

Brel
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Brel »

"If Sundu did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

Very good work! :D As usual, of course, but this time you have outdone yourself with the graphics and visuals, Mark. I could never "get" Skourene history when I read the parts concerning it in the original atlas, so I am pleased you undertook this project. I can appreciate the Littoral now; whereas before it was an irritating puzzle to me.

However, the Gentium coding only works for the top part of the page for me! Then it's back to blocks. Do you know what the problem is?

I'd have to say my favorite city-state so far is Tisuram. They're clever! As others have said, Skourene squabbling is reminiscent of the ancient Greeks, but has a definite flavor of its own. But with all this war, how do they manage to get anything done? Doesn't it wreak havoc on the demographics? Or do their wives at home rear a lot of children? :?
Io wrote:Seriously, do you take it as an obligation to be the sort of cunt you are?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Euskera wrote:However, the Gentium coding only works for the top part of the page for me! Then it's back to blocks. Do you know what the problem is?
Should be fixed now.
But with all this war, how do they manage to get anything done? Doesn't it wreak havoc on the demographics? Or do their wives at home rear a lot of children? :?
War doesn't directly affect demographics much-- WWII, for instance, is barely a jiggle in Europe's population curves. (Utter defeat or genocide has a big impact, of course, but that didn't come up in Skouras.)

As well, the Skourenes weren't always at war. :) A historical atlas tends to talk a lot about wars, since they rearrange the borders so much!

Brel
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Brel »

zompist wrote:
Euskera wrote:However, the Gentium coding only works for the top part of the page for me! Then it's back to blocks. Do you know what the problem is?
Should be fixed now.
And so it is. :D
zompist wrote:War doesn't directly affect demographics much-- WWII, for instance, is barely a jiggle in Europe's population curves. (Utter defeat or genocide has a big impact, of course, but that didn't come up in Skouras.)

As well, the Skourenes weren't always at war. :) A historical atlas tends to talk a lot about wars, since they rearrange the borders so much!
Yet more pearls of wisdom from zompist :wink:

I'm curious about the so-called "cold war": how much of the city-states' stance was based on actual ideological morals versus simply wanting more territory and wealth? Was there a sector of the people who charged their respective governments' stances were hypocritical in that they claimed to be fighting for high ideals when actually they simply wanted more earthly goods?
Io wrote:Seriously, do you take it as an obligation to be the sort of cunt you are?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Euskera wrote:I'm curious about the so-called "cold war": how much of the city-states' stance was based on actual ideological morals versus simply wanting more territory and wealth? Was there a sector of the people who charged their respective governments' stances were hypocritical in that they claimed to be fighting for high ideals when actually they simply wanted more earthly goods?
Interesting question. I'm inclined to answer that the conflict was 80% ideological, and 80% material. And heck, 50% stupidity and tribalism.

Extreme cynicism about one's society is common in our world, and shouldn't be assumed to be common in all times or places. I think it's largely an indicator of stress due to change: new ideas and situations and classes are rising, and the inability of the old ones to quickly adapt becomes evident. In a quieter era, when young people's lives will be pretty much the same as their elders', I think a general acceptance of the status quo is more likely.

That said, if any people on ancient Almea was likely to harbor a modernist skepticism about their rulers, it was the Skourenes.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Zompist wrote:I'm inclined to answer that the conflict was 80% ideological, and 80% material. And heck, 50% stupidity and tribalism.
Hence we learn that the Great Zompist is completely lacking in basic addition skills.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Curlyjimsam wrote:
Zompist wrote:I'm inclined to answer that the conflict was 80% ideological, and 80% material. And heck, 50% stupidity and tribalism.
Hence we learn that the Great Zompist is completely lacking in basic addition skills.
Heh, not really. Think about it...

Kolya
Niš
Niš

Post by Kolya »

The greatest conflicts are always made up of 210%
[quote="aardwolf"]
I'd lay off words like "exude" and "aura" (especially in the same sentence) in order to +1 your machoness.[/quote]

Shm Churmey
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shm Churmey »

I'm rather inclined to think that there's some level of overlap between ideology, tribalism, and material necessity.

How big is Skouras by the way? My guess is around the size of Britain...
And who's the throat-cutting barbarian?

Brel
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Brel »

zompist wrote:Heh, not really. Think about it...
Um, enlighten me, please? Because I'm still confused about those numbers... :?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Shm Churmey wrote:I'm rather inclined to think that there's some level of overlap between ideology, tribalism, and material necessity.
Note that this is the answer to Euskera's question!
How big is Skouras by the way? My guess is around the size of Britain...
And who's the throat-cutting barbarian?
1. This is most easily seen in the Historical Atlas of Almea, the 'Europe' map.

2. The animation represents a Skourene encountering a Mei.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I look forward to the Atlas when I get back to the university and can look at it on a not-dial-up Internet connection.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Shm Churmey wrote:I'm rather inclined to think that there's some level of overlap between ideology, tribalism, and material necessity.
That's the answer I thought of, though it doesn't really make sense to me ... and it doesn't make the numbers very helpful ...