Skourene Historical Atlas, Flash Style

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
ghur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ghur »

Shm Jay wrote:I look forward to the Atlas when I get back to the university and can look at it on a not-dial-up Internet connection.
Ditto (pretty much)

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Shm Jay wrote:I look forward to the Atlas when I get back to the university and can look at it on a not-dial-up Internet connection.
:?:

I don't know--I'm here on a dial-up connection (it's the only kind I have), and I had no problems loading or viewing the Skourene atlas (or the attached history page) from the link at the beginning of the thread--it didn't take that long, either. I've had more trouble trying to link to it from the main Virtual Verduria page, though.

p@,
Glenn

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Flash has astonishing compression capabilities-- the atlas is only 380K right now, shorter than some of the lexicons.

ghur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ghur »

Alright, I'll look at it then.

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Um i just noticed a rather cool little animation at the end - Now what the hell is that all about? :roll:
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Warmaster wrote:Um i just noticed a rather cool little animation at the end - Now what the hell is that all about? :roll:
Glenn wrote:I also finally cycled through the existing portion of the maps. For me, as for Neek, the "Stepped" button kicks the animation of the map into ultra-fast mode (although you can click on a year in the menu to make it stop). In addition, I also discovered the rather gory consequences of trying to look too far ahead.
Zomp wrote:2. The animation represents a Skourene encountering a Mei.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Or, as I like to think, the animation shows the results of trying to learn Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know (i.e., that Mark hasn't posted yet :wink: ).

p@,
Glenn

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Warmaster »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
Warmaster wrote:Um i just noticed a rather cool little animation at the end - Now what the hell is that all about? :roll:
Glenn wrote:I also finally cycled through the existing portion of the maps. For me, as for Neek, the "Stepped" button kicks the animation of the map into ultra-fast mode (although you can click on a year in the menu to make it stop). In addition, I also discovered the rather gory consequences of trying to look too far ahead.
Zomp wrote:2. The animation represents a Skourene encountering a Mei.
Ooops, thats what you get for being bone idle and not reading the thread fully :roll:

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

Been browsing through the new atlas, and I've got one word: AWESOME! Great job Zomp!
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Excellent. Looking forward to the finished page.

I had to go to the text version to read the history, because when I cliked on it I got a message saying "popup blocked". Altering the option in Norton Internet Security didn't help.

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

I plan to wait until everything's up before I look at the atlas in detail, but from what I've seen so far it looks very cool. I love the little skourene-mei animation. :D
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Hmm, is anyone actually reading this week to week? I tend to post large projects like this in chunks to build interest, but it looks like it's not working.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

zompist wrote:Hmm, is anyone actually reading this week to week? I tend to post large projects like this in chunks to build interest, but it looks like it's not working.
I know I'm reading it.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

zompist wrote:Hmm, is anyone actually reading this week to week? I tend to post large projects like this in chunks to build interest, but it looks like it's not working.
I am as well. To be honest, dealing with the one culture is I think harder to follow than the main Historical Atlas, where the narrative thread, if you like, is a little clearer. I often have to revisit old maps in order to follow events. But it looks like things are getting more interesting now.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Kolya
Niš
Niš

Post by Kolya »

I'm reading it.
[quote="aardwolf"]
I'd lay off words like "exude" and "aura" (especially in the same sentence) in order to +1 your machoness.[/quote]

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Just for the record, I have been following the Skourene Historical Atlas as well, and intend to continue to do so; among other things, I find the development of the various political systems interesting -- the usampas versus the ugaşras, the creation of a rather unusual form of representative democracy in Kolatimand, and so forth.

(I do agree with SHG that I find this atlas a bit harder to follow than the first, chiefly due to the geographic jigsaw puzzle formed by the Skourene city-states and their colonies.
I must confess, however, that I have been paying closer attention to the text version, and not always tracking the changes on the map.)

I'm sorry that this atlas has attracted less ongoing comment than the first Historical Atlas did (back in the days of the Virtual Verduria Message Board). Rest assured that it's being read, even if the readers have few comments to offer.

p@.
Glenn

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Glenn wrote:(I do agree with SHG that I find this atlas a bit harder to follow than the first, chiefly due to the geographic jigsaw puzzle formed by the Skourene city-states and their colonies.
Do you turn on the Political checkbox? If not, that should help a lot with that problem. I should probably turn it on by default.

Gareth
Niš
Niš

Post by Gareth »

[quote="zompist"]Hmm, is anyone actually reading this week to week? quote]

I'm reading and enjoying it.

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

Sorry, it took me a while to figure out how the atlas is supposed to be used.

Nice work, Mark- you've actually managed it to make Skourene history interesting! The last phase is called "The Reawakening"- does that mean that they're going to get wiped out just as they get their act together again? Tragic.
did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

zompist wrote:Do you turn on the Political checkbox? If not, that should help a lot with that problem. I should probably turn it on by default.
Just wanted to respond to this--I did recently begin clicking the Political checkbox, but it's true that it took my a while to do so; since the box is irrelevant for the first couple of maps, it took me some time to twig to the fact that it made a real difference in terms of the later ones (i.e., without it I could see the boundaries, but not the colors.) I've now used it in viewing all of the maps to date, however.

As I mentioned, my real problem is that I've concentrated on reading the text history, and treated the maps as a sideline -- to get the full picture, I really need to take the time to compare them more carefully side by side.

p@,
Glenn

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Warmaster »

Glenn wrote:
zompist wrote:Do you turn on the Political checkbox? If not, that should help a lot with that problem. I should probably turn it on by default.
Just wanted to respond to this--I did recently begin clicking the Political checkbox, but it's true that it took my a while to do so; since the box is irrelevant for the first couple of maps, it took me some time to twig to the fact that it made a real difference in terms of the later ones (i.e., without it I could see the boundaries, but not the colors.) I've now used it in viewing all of the maps to date, however.

As I mentioned, my real problem is that I've concentrated on reading the text history, and treated the maps as a sideline -- to get the full picture, I really need to take the time to compare them more carefully side by side.

p@,
Glenn
Was there no way to have the text as a scroll box underneath the maps? i thought that worked exceedingly well for the historical atlas of almea.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Zompist wrote :
"In the delta, it was a time for philosophies which left common sense far behind. Damnumtat of ImuTeli, for instance, tried to convince her readers that the world they knew did not exist, though she conceded that emotions and colors were real; Baudirda of ITili went further, claiming that people could create their own new consensual reality? this was in fact the secret of Axunemi success, though he emphasized that it would do them no good in the end: their hallucinated empire would disappear like treasures found in dreams."
My God! The New Age 4000 years early!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

I can read the new text chapters for 885 and 950, but the maps don't don't show on the flash - although I tried several paths of access (through the change log, through the zompist main page, and through Virtual Verduria), and although I hit the refresh button several times. What's wrong?
Best regards,

Hans-Werner

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

hwhatting wrote:I can read the new text chapters for 885 and 950, but the maps don't don't show on the flash - although I tried several paths of access (through the change log, through the zompist main page, and through Virtual Verduria), and although I hit the refresh button several times. What's wrong?
I can see them fine, so I'm guessing you're getting a cached copy. (Swf files are usually safe to cache since people don't update them much.) If it's a local cache, try shift-reload, or clear your browser cache. If your ISP is cacheing it, you'll have to wait for their cache to expire.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

It's done! :)

I saw Mark's notice on the Zompist.com front page that the Historical Atlas of Skouras had been completed, and finished reading the final entries tonight. Congratulations!
I was particularly interested in hearing about the Tzuro conquest of the Littoral... 8)

p@,
Glenn