Almean Self-Referents

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Sibkevsad
Niš
Niš

Almean Self-Referents

Post by Sibkevsad »

(Yay, my first and probably only thread in Almea)

I haven't ravaged Zompist's entire site, but I've been skimming most of the language looking for certain bits of information that I find "appealing".
I found that the names of the languages in the language always seem to resemble a phrase having something to do with the speakers, and them speaking the language. Which gave me the question- Do any Almean language self-referents translate to "language"-ish or "language"an. Verdurian is Soa Sfahe or the Speech, Old Skourene use kusni maind or the language of the people, etc... The only one I found was bb?thu elkar?l, which I would guess means something like the Elkaril language. But what about any others?

(Or is there a giant gaping hole in my head, and where Zompist doesn't meantion anything else, the name he uses is the self-referent. :roll: )
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

[url]http://blog.metal-hammer.de/die-grten-death-metal-songs-aller-zeiten/[/url] Vote for Hammer Smashed Face!

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Almean Self-Referents

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Sibkevsad wrote:(Yay, my first and probably only thread in Almea)

I haven't ravaged Zompist's entire site, but I've been skimming most of the language looking for certain bits of information that I find "appealing".
I found that the names of the languages in the language always seem to resemble a phrase having something to do with the speakers, and them speaking the language. Which gave me the question- Do any Almean language self-referents translate to "language"-ish or "language"an. Verdurian is Soa Sfahe or the Speech, Old Skourene use kusni maind or the language of the people, etc... The only one I found was bb?thu elkar?l, which I would guess means something like the Elkaril language. But what about any others?

(Or is there a giant gaping hole in my head, and where Zompist doesn't meantion anything else, the name he uses is the self-referent. :roll: )
There are quite a few - Flaidish is flaidyx, which is almost identical to the term used in English. The names Kebreni, Isma?n, Barakhinei, Cadhinor, Axunashin, Wede:i, Jei, Cuoli, and Xurn?sh are all taken from the language's self-referential designation. For other languages such as Tzhuro, we're not yet sure what its own speakers call it. What distinguishes both ancient Skourene and modern Verdurian is that they are not (or at least in the case of Verdurian, were not originally) the national languages of a singular, unified state; for these languages' speakers, referring to them as "the Verdurian language" or "the Skourene language" might be technically be true, but also somewhat misleading.
Last edited by So Haleza Grise on Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza is right, but to clarify, Kebreni is a slight anglicization of kebren (nizgu), and Wede:i is the name of the people; they would have called their tongue Wede:i yona.